Age Of Conan: Unchained Arrives Tomorrow

By Quintin Smith on June 30th, 2011 at 4:34 pm.

FFGRRAAGH I ONLY WANTED TO BE HAPPY, cried the monster

Age of Conan’s free-to-play reshuffling, Age of Conan: Unchained, arrives tomorrow. How do we know? Well, it’d be pretty hard to do this job if we didn’t know stuff like that. Also, a launch trailer just came out.

John’s comprehensive detailing of the “freemium” business model and what changes to expect can be found in the above link (including new content that’ll relate to the upcoming Conan movie), and you’ll find the launch trailer after the jump. Beware! It’s guarded by nine Cimmerian swordmaidens, each more beautiful and deadly than the last.

I… I could have sworn I told the swordmaidens to wait right here. Maybe they took a long lunch.

I’ll admit to not getting along particularly well with Age of Conan, despite the fantastic job Funcom did of bringing the setting to life. Ever since I dropped World of Warcraft like a hot stone it’s taken something pretty spectacular for me to willingly hand over time to any MMORPG, and Conan just couldn’t offer that. Perhaps if they’d brought the attitude and brutality of the Conan setting to life as well- I could have gone for that, but tactile, razor-sharp combat and a sludgy MMORPG framework don’t really mix, I suppose.

Hmm. Sadface. I’m off to play Tiny Barbarian again.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. innociv says:

There’s going to be too many of these soon. Or maybe there is already.

2. Hoaxfish says:

I started reading up on WoW’s mechanics with the announcement yesterday… dear god no.

All those weird little “Dungeons and Dragons” hang-ups like “Strength, Dexteriy, etc” … all different depending on race and class. Strangely enough, all the MMOs I’ve actually put time into didn’t have any of that stuff, with stats being much less abstract and more descriptive (e.g. points in Guild Wars’ “swordsmanship” made you better with “swordsmanship” skills).

Since I’m having a bit of a Conan thing on at the moment, I’ll give this the same “read up”… just hope it won’t be so dense

• Ajh says:

You do know that the vast majority of WoW players don’t understand that stuff either? Those that aren’t at max level raiding or pvping just don’t generally care about the ‘theorycrafting’

I might give this a try, just to give it a try.

3. Njordsk says:

If you know that much that we don’t know, will it be on steam in the free2play section?

THAT’s a challenge eh?

4. Teddy Leach says:

How very savage, sexy, and brutal.

5. Tei says:

OH NOES!.

Is the Rapture and the Fremiumgedoom all at once. Everything is going to be free!.

• Hoaxfish says:

As a believer before the Rapture went F2P, what kind of bonuses am I going to get now that the Rapture is just letting anyone in?

Clearly Hats should be available

• Mana_Garmr says:

They’re just gonna steal the halo hat TF2 gave out to non-cheaters or whatever it was for. Apparently paying your way into a better afterlife is a no-no.

• Grygus says:

It doesn’t matter; eternal paradise is now ruined, congrats to the Devs for letting in the rabble.

• Tei says:

I was talking about the technological rapture. Wen we start developing a AI that is smart enough to design AI’s. Or we develop a 3D printer that can print food and machines (Even 3D printers)

• .backslash says:

What you’re referring to is The Singularity, sir. Which, admittedly Jim once called a “bizarre nerd rapture”, but what does he know. We’ll all get assimilated into the Gray Goo anyway.

6. plectophera says:

I think I might try this out actually.

7. Tretiak says:

How fun is the combat system? I got bored of WoW.

• PIGSquad says:

It’s more involved than most MMOs but it’s nothing to write home about. The setting on the other hand, is what makes this game.

8. Mac says:

I still have it installed from 12 months ago when I last played – it’s probably worth fring up again if only to see if the new engine helps the frame rates in Khitai …

9. PIGSquad says:

Did they fix all the bugs? Has the Assassin class been balanced? Will PvP levels/gear actually be attainable if you don’t start PvP until the end game? These are questions that need to be answered!

10. outoffeelinsobad says:

I want that announcer at my next birthday party.

11. FKD says:

Well that is nice to hear. I (like pretty much everyone) really enjoyed Tortage..even though it (like most other starting areas) felt repetitive after just the first time. I really loved the graphics and the “feel” of the game, but the zones just felt dead and deserted :/ I also found the talent tree kind of confusing, and the points you could invest in different things like climbing/stealth/etc always felt confusing to me for some reason.

12. Nick says:

Wait.. Conan is still running? Wow.

13. FakeAssName says:

that has to be one of the least sexy polygon breasts I have ever seen.

• mod the world says:

Be honest here: How many polygon breasts did you ever see in MMOs or other games?

14. Gadriel says:

That trailer made me want to defecate, vomit on the feces and burn the result.

15. Kachajal says:

Wow. On release, AoC had some of the best game music I have ever heard. It’s still on my playlist. The silly techno, the ridiculous narrator, and the entire bloody trailer shows what sort of demographic they’re trying to attract.

Newsflash, Funcom. Your game failed because you made it a mess, not because you lacked people’s interest. Bloody morons.

16. Mac says:

What a shitty F2P system – I previously bought the expansion, yet now I cannot access the content I previously paid for … I have to pay ~£5 for 7 days access to Khitai, never mind the instances.

Deleted from my HDD … just a waste of space!

• Jim Rossignol says:

Seriously? It actually takes away bought content? I find that astonishing.

• Mac says:

Me too … I was happy with the idea of paying for access to gain AA, but taking away bought content is a first … hence, the uninstall!