Analyst Says Titan Will Be “Casual MMO”

By Jim Rossignol on June 30th, 2011 at 8:45 am.

Shouldn't have left the gas on!
Gamasutra reports that Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia claims [PDF] that Blizzard’s next big MMO project, Titan, will be a “casual MMO”. Now, in my head at least, “casual” is Zynga, or maybe PopCap. Games with a shallow learning curve, and limited endgame complexity. Now Blizzard games might not be ultra-badcore brainburners, but they are also not casual, and I don’t expect that to change. Quite what analyst means by this term, of course, isn’t clear. Perhaps it was a slip of the finger. Or maybe he is so l33t that anything less ‘core than Darkfall doesn’t stand up in his book. Whatever it means, it paints what I think is an inaccurate picture.

My prediction? I say Titan will be an action MMO, probably an MMOFPS, with a sci-fi setting. It’ll aim wide, be accessible, and snare millions of gamers, but “casual” won’t be a word we use to describe it. Let’s come back here in two years and see who is right.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. abigbat says:

Genuinely excited about this. It’s been far too long since Blizzard unveiled a new IP, I think the MMOFPS route is pretty likely if only to break from their traditional moulds.

• abigbat says:

[and make loads of money]

• TsunamiWombat says:

Well yeah, that goes without saying.

• Wulf says:

That really worries me. :p I mean, it’s wrong that Blizzard could release a line of signed shoelaces and people would buy them for £200 a pop without even thinking about it, just because it has the Blizzard name for it. Blizzard should branch out into other products and make them even more overpriced than Apple’s fare. It would all sell. :|

• Amuro says:

It is not out of their traditional molds they need to break, it is out of the game industry trends. By the time this thing appears it will be, “Look! We made an MMOFPS! Just like everyone else did three years ago and has been for years! And its Subscription based with Premiums like WoW!”
      Needless to say, I will not be excited.

2. Crimsoneer says:

We should really stop calling analysts analysts. It gives them far too much legitimacy they don’t deserve and that definitely isn’t justified.

Having thoroughly analysed Titan, I strongly believe it’s going to be a Starcraft based cheese-making management MMO.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Back in the day, before you chil’ren got all your fancy idea’s, we called yon analysts Soothsayers. And they was nigh this close from a stake burning all the time and they knew’d it.

So them soothsayers would often make themselves a vital part of the community, dispensin medicines and whatnot for pregnant women and chil’ren. Course, soon as one of them folks died, it was a time for a bonfire and a new soothsayer.

• Maykael says:

Every time I see a piece of news regarding an “industry analyst” I find myself thinking that I or any other reader/writer from this site could a much better job. None of these people really understands the medium and they are supposed to be advising shareholders interested in video-game companies.

• Zogtee says:

I find it intriguing that these gaming analysts rarely play games themselves.

• Brutal Deluxe says:

I don’t hate them. Some of my best friends are analysts.

• Punchbowled says:

I don’t have a problem with soothsaying. Just as long as its between consenting adults and they don’t try to stuff their sooth down your throat.

• MCM says:

How about “professional guessers”?

• runtheplacered says:

Analysts analyze data. Not really sure why you’d call them anything else.

3. DSR says:

I’m worried about Diablo 3.

Really worried. After all the crap they put into WoW. “Premium subscriptions”, cash shop for vanity items(Combining P2P and F2P models in one game).

I’ll be disappointed if they add subscription or retarded limitations(Can’t play with non random people or cant use shared chest) for “non premium” users.

Disappointed, but hardly surprised.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I don’t expect to see that stuff in Diablo 3.

• Antsy says:

And they’ve not been pushing anything similar with Starcraft.

Also, take deep breaths. You need to stop getting Really Worried about stuff like this!

• Rii says:

Perhaps you check under your bed for monsters also.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Really-Worried™ is now the official war cry of the PC crowd.

I’m Really-Worried™ this game will be a bad port.

I’m Really-Worried™ this game will be pay to win.

I’m Really-Worried™ about the developer’s lack of mod tool support.

I’m Really-Worried™ I’ll have to pirate this game because it has DRM.

I’m Really-Worried™ I’ll have to pirate this game because I dislike pre-order DLC.

Le sigh.

• lurkalisk says:

I’m Really-Worried™ about people so Really-Worried™ about other people Really-Worried™ about Legitimately-Worrisome™®©² things, regardless of the likelihood of said third person’s Real-Worries™ being substantiated.

• Bettymartin says:

Oh you see, now I’m really worried about lurkalisk. When will this cruel cycle end!?

• lurkalisk says:

NEVER.

EDIT: I just realized I didn’t adequately imply I was worried about you in a trademarked fashion. So there. I am. That way.

• FakeAssName says:

I’m really worried that I will never be able to figure out those ACSII codes and left behind forever by the PC gaming community.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I don’t give a shit about anyone or anything, so I guess I broke the cycle.

Huh, first time my bitter hatefilled misanthropy has been a positive force for the community. Shit, I hate that. What if i’m losing my edge? i’m really wo- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• lurkalisk says:

Well clearly, sir, you are now worried for… YOURSELF.

What a twist!

• TsunamiWombat says:

And then I wake up to discover it was all a dream and Bruce Willis was dead the whole time and Avatar sucked. Curse you M. Night Shamylan!

• Antsy says:

And Really Worrying!

• Milky1985 says:

I’m so worried about what’s hapenin’ today, in the middle east, you know
      And I’m worried about … well contining this song without getting sued for copyright infrigement

• LuNatic says:

More likely they’ll do the same thing as they did with Starcraft 2: enforced regional segregation and requiring a constant internet connection, even for single player.

• zergrush says:

“and requiring a constant internet connection, even for single player.”

Did they remove the option to play in offline mode?

• LuNatic says:

Hmm, perhaps I’m getting it mixed up with something else.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’m sure they’ll come up with some brand new mechanisms for people to get upset about. Yay for progress!

• Ultramegazord says:

It has been confirmed that Starcraft 2 will have paid maps and mods (DLCs) soon, they even talked about selling the fancy FMV cutscenes separately so yeah, it’s very possible that Diablo 3 will have even more stuff to suck out our money.

Blizzard died long time ago.

4. Roaring Panda says:

Do analysts actually make money for making vague predictions about the video-gaming future?

• Raniz says:

If they do, I’m hereby announcing my new career as an Analyst.

Now I’m going off to analyze my breakfast break, I’m fairly sure it’ll be a casual single player experience.

Money can be sent to my nanopayments account here at RPS.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Yes. And it’s pretty much exactly like being a seer, except no one tries to burn you at the stake and you have to go to college for four years.

So, like being Notredamus I guess.

5. -Spooky- says:

Casual (too) mainstream like WoW? Maybe ..

6. Rii says:

WoW was also (and quite reasonably) described in the distant past as a casual MMO that normal people could play.

No doubt Titan will reflect both all that Blizzard has learned from operating WoW and the changes they’ve observed in the broader gaming landscape over the last decade. Will it be casual in the sense that FarmVille is casual? Of course not. Will it be more approachable than WoW? Of course.

I question the notion that it’s going to be an MMOFPS because that’s traditionally been a strictly ‘core’ genre with correspondingly constrained market potential. At the same time, nor do I expect it to be an MMORPG in the traditional mold.

• TsunamiWombat says:

And I predict the old lion shall clash with the young lion, and upon the third pass a splinter shall taketh his eye and pluck from his mortality. The greater Europe will be arrained againes Hister.

• Daiv says:

Do Notte Buy Betamacks.

7. Daniel Rivas says:

I think it’ll be a massively multiplayer third person platformer, with double jumps and collectable coins.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

And people can push each other off the platforms and the player on the highest platform of them all is crowned king for as long as he remains there!

8. Antsy says:

The word in that article that provoked the strongest feeling of revulsion in me wasn’t casual, it was endgame.

• Jim Rossignol says:

What do you mean?

• lurkalisk says:

He’s got a problem with the Highlander sequels, I expect.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Who the hell didn’t?

• Freud says:

Highlander sequels. Movie fans now wish there could be only one.

• TsunamiWombat says:

You shut your liar mouth there was only ONE Highlander sequel Sean Connery does not come back from the dead MacCloud isn’t an alien no no no~cries and sucks thumb~

• Antsy says:

I loved World of Warcraft for a long time but it was the levelling and exploration I enjoyed. I’d get to top level, flail around for a while trying to find something to do that I enjoyed and then change to a new character/class. Of course this only worked once or twice and then I just gave up and moved on.

EVE Online provided an MMO experience in which there was no endgame. There was always something ahead of me, perhaps hardly visible, but there and obtainable at some point in the future and that kept me subbed for the best part of seven years. Of course EVE has its own problems and an unfortunate amount of the seven years was spent just training skills while I played something else entirely.

I would just love to see an MMO that makes me want to keep playing, to keep exploring and communicating with my fellow players but which doesn’t make the kind of demands that endgame raid content makes.

Oh, and there are no Highlander sequel’s. After all, There can be only One.

• faelnor says:

italics closing tag There ya go. That’ll be 7.50 euro.

EDIT: It doesn’t work! No refunds!

• Jumwa says:

“If casual means absent the elitism and such that I experienced in WoW then I’m all for it.”

A MMO minus the elitism? Egads! I’d pay double for that.

9. Harlander says:

I’d say a casual MMO is something like Spiral Knights – something you can dip in and out of, play with randoms without too much suffering, that kind of deal.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Sounds like a hooker to me HEEYOOOO
      Thanks i’ll be here all week ahaha but no really casual games are kind of like whores.

10. TsunamiWombat says:

If my tongue in cheek quasi troll responses were not any indication, I find “market analysts” to be little more then glorified fortune tellers, but instead of persuing the manly arts of disembowling a lamb and reading it’s entrails to gain a breif ethereal look upon the twisting skein of time, they use flow charts and wikipedia.

What i’m saying is, I don’t like Analysts, and they’de be much cooler if they read entrails and wore funny hats.

11. ping says:

Why can’t we just stop talking about these so called analysts?

12. FakeAssName says:

my money is on a Facebook version of Warcraft (not WOW, I’m talking about good old “Warcraft” warcraft) with a cash shop.

players have one map that they build on, with every fucking unit and building costs real money, but unlike real Warcraft you stay on that map ALA farm-vile. the only real difference between this game and Farm-vile is that instead of having your friends visit you, they attack you ….

either that or it’s a game called “ID-Real” and the game is to see who can get stalked and assaulted in real life by a mentally unstable / socially dysfunctional nerd who has been holding a chip on his shoulder about how you ninja looted him 4 years ago.

13. Frostbeard says:

I know little of such investors notes. Who is Sterne Agee and analyst Arvind Bhatia? Are they know in the gaming industry?

Other than that I hope casual is like “World of Tank casual” rather than FarmVille casual (and from my Knowledge they have a pretty hardcore base that play more than casually)

I hope that casual will mean that it is easy to pick up and learn, but with real dept and challenge. Like Backgammon, Chess, Go and so on. These games has stood the test of time because the are casual in nature, easy to learn but hard to master.

14. Gap Gen says:

Plants vs Zerg?

15. Web Cole says:

“Let’s come back here in two years and see who is right.”
    Ooh, its oan! :P

16. Frakattack says:

I’ve heard the term “casual” in reference to Titan a few times, and I think it just means that the game will be “casual” when compared to WoW, which is a game that requires lots of time and boss farming/arena to “excel” at.

I imagine Titan will be a pick up and play shooter more similar to an MMO version of TF2, or maybe something similar to Global Agenda.

17. Valvarexart says:

Darkfall is ‘core? Nah, man, that’s casual pulp. We play Mortal Online over here.

18. Longrat says:

Casual MMO sounds like the result of generations of inbreeding. I definitely don’t wanna see that.

19. Stevostin says:

“Now Blizzard games might not be ultra-badcore brainburners”

I am always puzzled at how this myth can survive so long. Let’s have a flat look at World Of Warcraft, which has a PvP that requires every one player to simply perform OK to know 10 classes – ie ~30 skills and 100+ talents per class (so that’s around 300 skills and 1K talents, and yes, an awful lot actually know that much). It also requires to know a good amount of trinkets, and from that the basics of every combo. And that is just for Arena. Now on PvE please add dozens of more or less complex procedures, crafting, generic management knowledge, etc.

Fact is WoW is of immense complexity and Blizzard’s success is somewhat reflected in the fact they’ve made so much effort on the learning curve than it “seems” simple. Well, it actually is because when you hit 60 in Vanilla, you’ve spend more than 300 hours at playing your class. So the complexity just reflect the time spend. An hour of WoW is not complex, but at the end of your grinding, your sitting on a pile of learned things.

Now if you watch their RTS like Warcraft or Starcraft, and figure out what there is to know, you may think “there are RTS games that are more brain burners”. Problem is, if you look at the people playing them, you’ll actually see more burning brains than in any other game. That’s because the amount of things [i]needed[/i] to be known is actually pretty huge compared to other games. If you can build 160 different units but only 4 or 5 actually matters because of unpolished game balance, your game may look complex… but is actually pretty dull. OTOH if you have 11 units but absolutely have to know how they work in detail, and not only them but the 20+ of other’s faction – well, you can spend a life mastering those. That’s what progamers do, actually.

“Wow is for dummies”, or “Blizzard make simplistic game” is the same kind of typical PC urban myth that the one saying “console games are for noobs”. I really don’t enjoy console gaming, but I know a good lot of them actually are challenging if played at a high difficulty level, and I know OTOH than the Quicksave philosophy turns every challenge on PC into a game of patience. So it’s clear to me ppl saying this kind of stuff are disregarding fact to take an elitist stance, as if grown up complexity and difficulty was on their desk, not others. Generally they are people who can’t really last long in a *real* competitive environment ala Battle.net. Weaklings, in other words – and as an aging gamer, I am back to the weakling pool too. But I don’t indulge myself into claiming that people who can best me in the field of popular games must be morons. They just care more than I do about how they perform, because the only women they’ve seen naked is their sister. And I respect that.

• Longrat says:

Oooh you had such a nice argument up to the naked sister part. Now you seem a bit like the person you’re trying to insult!

• Stevostin says:

Damn ! Missed again !

• Nick says:

Its not really that complex at all, but most of the things that are being streamlined aren’t complex either, its about crediting the consumer with no intelligence at all and I find it deeply insulting.

• MD says:

The only woman I’ve seen naked is your sister.

• Stevostin says:

@ Nick
      Yes, sure, hundreth of skills and talents isn’t complexity. And rain doesn’t wet, either.
      You know, the point of word is to actually have a meaning.

@ MD says
      I don’t have a sister. Actually, I’ve never seen a naked women at all before the Emma Watson shot was released all over the internet.

• Lamb Chop says:

Having played both games at an end-game level (master league and raiding back in BC), the fundamental difference between the skill level of each game is qualitative not quantitative, and this is often why games like WoW are derided as being unskilled. Both Starcraft and WoW have high game knowledge caps — in WoW you have to research the best gear, the best skill combo, and the best talents trees. In Starcraft you have to know your build orders inside and out. The difference lies in the fact that at least for endgame raiding in WoW, the execution skill cap is almost laughably low. There’s a reason the classic joke is that every raid boils down to “don’t stand in the fire.” WoW is a game about player knowledge and Starcraft is a game about player execution (and I don’t mean the lopping off of heads). The casual/hardcore distinction in WoW is very much one of time investment rather than player skill. And that’s likely the distinction that they would like to dissolve by eliminating the ridiculous endgame time investment (although would it affect subscription levels to do so?)

• DD says:

@ Stevostin

I played WoW quite a bit and agree with basically everything you said. Except for the naked sister thing.

• Stevostin says:

@ Lamb Chop
      You’re mainly speaking about PvE Wow while I mainly spoke about PVP Wow. You can always sum up PvE raid to something like watching a youtube video and doing it the same. It’s a problem with a solution. The solution can’t be too elaborate because it has to be executed with coordination. If you take a look at all the actions needed to get that coordination – setting up a guild, a raid, probably a team speak server, a forum, a news feed, you’ll realise that still – it IS indeed complex. You may say that it’s not the game, but a lot of raids simply couldn’t be done without it. And for years, it wasn’t even in wow, or documented. So in the end, even if the specific part of doing raids you’re describing isn’t exactly a skill show, the whole process is very complex. Skill show is rather in PvP. High level arena is both skill show AND complexity.

• Nick says:

Well, if you mean complex as in there lots of skills (of which you only use a handful at one time anyway), then yes, it has lots of skills. If you mean complex as in the number of skills means its hard to understand or cope with, then no, it isn’t.

At all.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

As a Wow pvper for 3 years up until the start of this year I can personally say the pvp gameplay of wow is nothing more than Pacman Online. It’s not really about knowing every classes abilities as much as it’s about knowing which class to run away from and which class to play as (this month).

20. subedii says:

Congratulations Antsy, you broke italics, hope you’re happy.

EDIT:

And since this post just got bumped to page 2, italics are gone.

21. Tei says:

Sorry, If I necro this old thread.
    But is 2014 already and “Titan” has ben released. Reading back our opinions on 2011 seems that we were wrong on some things, and right on others.
    Is interesting how vague predictions have a vague success at predicting the future

22. Raiyan 1.0 says:

What the hell? Why is everyone writing in italics?

Edit: Holy shit, I’m too, without any tags micropayments! Is RPS being generous?

Why am I having this feeling that after giving us a taste of the power of italics, RPS is going to take it away in the name of ‘fixing’ the comment section, and thereby hooking us into paying up for it? Cruel, cruel Tosser and McProfit.

Edit2: Called it.

(Yes, I paid up…)

23. Tei says:

I have the secrets codes.

24. razgon says:

It would be fun if Blizzard decided to make an Eve-style spaceship sandbox game. I’d buy that from them in a heartbeat!

25. Lilliput King says:

“I say Titan will be an action MMO, probably an MMOFPS, with a sci-fi setting”

I think this may be wishful thinking on your part Jim. It’s what I hope it’ll be too, though.

However, I predict it’ll be WoW with guns in space.

• Antsy says:

Or something like Free Realms with playable characters from all the Blizzard franchises. Even including a digital version of the WoW trading card game :P

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Jeff Hollis shared a couple interesting anecdotes back in BlizzCon ’09 which suggest it may be correct.

GDC 08, Rob Pardo defending the idea of sci-fi MMOs in a panel discussion.
      E3, Jeff Kaplan and Rob Pardo eyeing Global Agenda.

(skip to 31:00)

26. Grygus says:

Casual is a relative term. WoW is very much a casual MMO if you compare it to what came before. It doesn’t look radical anymore because it’s been a long time and everyone has copied it, but at the time of its release it did things that weren’t done in MMOs: EverQuest had been the big success story, and the credit for its success was the community, which had been forged in the fires of long downtimes, brutal death penalties, and reliance on groups just to level up. WoW did away with all of that. Any class could solo to the level cap, downtime was short (though it did exist back then) and death was merely inconvenient in comparison. It actually tried to make the game welcoming to new people, something few MMOs bothered with at the time. Even today, it emphasizes fast/instant travel, short dungeons, and (again, comparatively) short raids. Downtime is nonexistent. Calling it casual within its genre is entirely fair.

• Robert says:

Wouldn’t you just call it ‘current-gen’? By the standards you just described, I can recall no MMO released in the last couple of years here in the west that fits them.

And it’s obvious that the ‘casualness’ is relative to World of Warcraft, but outside of that, all is open.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Darkfall and Mortal Online are decidedly non-casual.

• Valvarexart says:

Yes, I am bound to agree with that statement.

27. Jorum says:

MMOs have always attracted far more women players than most other games, one of the reasons why WOW player base is so huge. (hell, even my wife was a wow-addict and she is generally dismissive of every other game I play)
    I may be wrong, but I’ve always had the impression that FPS (and presumably MMOFPS) are not widely popular to women.
    If so I’d be surprised if Blizzard would risk missing out what has proved to be a very profitable portion of the market by making Titan a shooter.

I think what there is a potential market for is a more “casual” version of EVE.
    There are a vast number of people who are interested in EVE, but don’t actually play because of the amount of in-your-face complexity and time-sinking involved.

If Blizzard could pull off a space-based MMO with similar epic scale and social depth, but with the accessability of WOW…..

• Stormbane says:

I would bet on exactly this. I can definitely see a hybrid of WoW and EvE being very successful, bringing the accessibility of WoW to the complexity and economics of EvE. Backed my Blizzard polish and the inevitable post SWTOR full voice over (they can afford it) this would be enough to appease any MMOer.

I think what lends credibility to this is that these would be features that they already know work. They just yet to be utilized in one game. I think it is the logical next step for MMOs.

• Jorum says:

Yes -it’s just fitting the pieces together to get an (almost guaranteed) success.
      Blizzard have never really taken a risk or trod new ground, rather they see what others have done and just do it better.
      They are brilliant at taking something conceptually fairly standard but implementing it as amazingly tight, polished, and effortless.
      MMOFPS are still an unproven concept. In fact I’m not even sure if one has been properly implemented yet? PlanetSide was more like a persistant BFBC really , and Global Agenda similar from what I’ve seen.

• TariqOne says:

So you’re saying Blizzard bought and is re-releasing Tabula Rasa?

And on a side note, shame about that one. It was far better than most of the dreck that’s still hanging around in the MMO space these days.

28. johnpeat says:

You’ve just demonstrated why you’re a journalist and not an analyst…

Journalists attempt to describe what they see – so you’ve attempted to describe what you’ve ‘seen’ of what Blizzard do and what’s likely as a result of that things you know.

Analysts attempt to describe what no-one can see using words which they can later twist/bend/redefine to mean whatever it was that has just leapt into existence. Doing this successfully rewards far more riches than common-sense would normally suggest were due…

It’s the same job – carefully rearranging words into a form people will pay for – it’s just the intention is totally different…

One informs
    One deforms :)

29. Brutal Deluxe says:

Surely a casual MMO is an MMO about wearing jeans and drinking coffee?

30. Stormbane says:

MMOFPS. It’s a dirty word. I think a large part of WoW’s success can be attributed to the combat system. As Jorum mentioned above it is simple and accessible to people of all ages and genders.

There is a certain pleasure in repeatedly pressing TAB-1-2-3 while listening to your favorite podcasts. It’s an experience unique to the combat systems of today’s MMO’s, one that I could not imagine existing in a shooter.

Besides I have yet to see a collision based system done well in a massively multiplayer environment. There is a reason Counter Strike has a max players per map. Even games like Vindictus rely on heavy instancing, slow projectiles (slower than bullets), and long reloads times. Not to mention games like Vindictus having to actively filter out high latency players. As a gamer in New Zealand I do not ever expect to play and enjoy Vindictus or Tera or any collision based MMO system. The infrastructure for global low latency connections just do not exist and I imagine it will be decades before it does.

If Blizzard decided to create a collision based MMO they would either need to host servers in Australia or alienate about 20% of their key audience. It may seem like a small deal, hosting servers in AUS but the logistics are immense.

• Tei says:

“MMOFPS. It’s a dirty word”

Only in this universe.

There are other universes where is perfectly normal.

The problem with this universe is that about all MMO players are MMORPG players. RPG and FPS is not interchangeable, player skill and character skill are too diferent things. You can play a MMORPG with only one hand, while you watch TV, and smoke a cigar. You can’t do that with a MMOFPS / MMORTS.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Man I wanna play MMORPGS with you it sounds like a party, i’ll bring the keg

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I often shave while playing. Electric, though. :)

31. thols says:

I don’t think it will be as different from conventional MMO’s as some people think. I tend to agree with the author in that it’s not something we’ll be describing as ‘casual’ once we are able to play it. Blizzard has has massive success with WOW with the traditional subscription model and I just don’t see them walking away from that to try something totally new.

As for the game itself, no one really knows what it will be like but there is a great collection of Titan info at http://www.titanwatch.net if you want to see what is actually known at this point.

32. Yage says:

Warcraft can be played both casual and hardcore. Does this mean Titan will not really reward hardcore play? For me hardcore is playing more than 4 hours a day with out fail. Casual is very hard to pin down i wold say playing around 9 hours a week or less. There are just to many types of casual playstyles to have any understanding of what a casual mmo means.

• Jorum says:

With regard to Blizzard I would say Casual is what WOW has become rather than what it started out as.

I played WOW from launch, and eventually you reached the point where progress meant getting into 20 or 40 man raids was mandatory, and guild rules on attendance were ludicrous.

A significant number of people simply couldn’t make those commitment and so bowed out rather than pay a subscription just to play half a game (me included).

Blizzards response was to make end-content steadily less demanding in terms of manpower and time. 10-man raids then 5-man epic dungeons etc. Even minor things like being able to easily summon players to instances (as a warlock I can tell you that was a pain – getting three people to click a button and stay still for 10 seconds is maddeningly difficult).

So to cut the waffle – WOW now is much easier to drop in and out off than it used to be.

The main reason I’m not getting into any more MMOs is I know I don’t have the time to make a 12-15eur sub worthwhile. I imagine millions are in the same boat.
      Free-to-play has been the obvious counter to that attitude.

I’m not sure Blizzard are prepared to go the free-to-play route, but a vast number of low-sub paying “casual” players would probably work out more profitable than a smaller number of high-sub hardcore players.

33. JerreyRough says:

They said that it would be casual a LONG time ago, everyone just overlooked it. It was on an old IGN article in an interview.

34. ScubaMonster says:

Well he’s an analyst which means he doesn’t know jack about the game. Unless that quote was from a Blizzard dev, it’s worthless.

But WoW always targeted the casual audience anyway, but still had somewhat hardcore stuff for people who wanted it (not EQ hardcore, but still).

I can’t see them straying too far from that formula unless they want to cause a massive uproar and disappointment.

• TariqOne says:

Indeed. Why would anyone listen to this guy about stocks, let alone games? He’s a nobody prognosticator/shill mashing together a bunch of stuff he read on the internet and passing it off as good investment advice.

I don’t even believe him about the time frame (12-24 months) on Titan, let alone the type of game it will be. And all of this presumes the world “casual” has any specific meaning, particularly to the nongamer he’s fobbing his “advice” on.

Not news.