Maximum Mod: Crysis 2 Editor Released

By Andrew Smee on June 30th, 2011 at 12:23 pm.

Look at that, seamless
Attention modders! Hot on the heels of the recent DX11 patch, the Crysis 2 Editor is now available (with a bunch of other tools) to download at crymod.com and mycrysis.com, which was named after a fairly strong-handed self-help book expounding advanced military weaponry over sit-ins with your therapist. The Crysis mod scene came up with some properly fantastic stuff, and armed with all the tech and tools of the bleeding now, the CryEngine looks like it’s got it’s work cut out for it as all those artist types take full advantage of the “Make It More Shiny, My Portfolio Isn’t As Bright As The Sun Yet” buttons.

The official documentation is hiding under cloak over here. He’s shy and wonders what to do with his hands alot, but he’s gradually overcoming his public speaking issues.

, , , .

1. Rii says:

Ok, Crytek, now you’re forgiven.

Joshua says:

In before people start shouting that the editor has been dumbed down for a console audience :P.
      Honestly though, it is good to see that the game still gets attentino from Crytek. Much better then a ‘Fire and Forget’ approach.

(And please do not say that these things should have been released earlier: A company needs to earn money. These things are not vital for their money making, thus they can actually afford to polish these things more)

2. PiP999 says:

I’m more interested in Unreal Engine 4 and its capabilities (and ease of use from what I hear people say) rather than CryEngine 3… Sorry Crytek </3

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Errr… what? Epic just gave vague statements about UE4 being released with the next generation of consoles. And MS and Sony are in no way going to release new hardware any time soon. Hell, even the updated UE3 has more than enough grunt to keep up for a few more years. Care to provide where you got your news about recent UE4 developments from? Even then, why are you comparing a solid engine that is here now to a hypothetical one that is supposed to be shipped sometime in the future?

Anyway, I doubt this will compete well with Epic’s UDK3. The amount of documentation that engine has, the awesome licensing terms, not to mention the recently rolled out DX11 features… I just wish Epic will release the source code, like CryTek promised they’re gonna with their SDK.

UDK is my favorite engine right now. It has turned modders into indies.

• PiP999 says:

No real credibility to my post, just saying what I’ve heard from friends. As for the ease of use I’m assuming it will be as easy to use as the previous UEs. As for UE3, I agree that the engine is pretty awesome, all one needs to do is look at the impressive list of AAA titles it helped produce.

3. dee says:

Might actually buy it now.

4. ericks says:

Too bad they went and got themselves kicked off Steam now that they actually have everything in the game they said they would.

5. Raziel_aXd says:

Are those the new soldier models in the next DLC? “Maximum tea”, “Maximum queen” with a brit accent.

6. MrPyro says:

You know, I look at the picture for this article, and there’s something odd there that I just can’t pick up….

Oh, that’s it. It’s spelled ‘seamless’.

• Andrew Smee says:

I knew that.

coughs

• Bioptic says:

And, ah, it’s ‘heels’ rather than ‘heals’.

I’d be interested to know if modders can do anything in Crysis 2 that they couldn’t do in the original, though – wasn’t everything essentially a downgrade?

• Bart Stewart says:

>> I’d be interested to know if modders can do anything in Crysis 2 that they couldn’t do in the original, though

Restore quicksave functionality for those among us who enjoy short-term tactical replayability?

7. KauhuK says:

Ok that does it. I’m buying Crysis 2 from play.com summer sale for 16.49€

8. Tei says:

If I remember correctly, the editor for Crysis 1 was a whole game at itself, in some ways more fun the the original game itself.

Building a militar parade of tanks and copters, and launching a tornado or a nuke on the center never gets old.

If is just raw tools to build things, like a C compiler and a sharpened fork, …then.. uh… productions cost are too high nowdays and life is short… so hu..

9. BenLeng says:

Awwww, the “Make it Shiny”-Button. How I love to push that button.

10. skurmedel says:

Roger Daltrey looks rather augmented now.

11. westyfield says:

Mod wolves!

12. somini says:

No Steam yet? FFS, why??

oceanclub says:

In terms of usabillity, how does it compare to, say, the Far Cry 2 editor? I remember being amazed how easy it was to create maps in that, and had great fun creating small islands packed with explosive items of all sorts.

P.

• Utnac says:

That was just a map editor, this is a proper SDK type thing, much more advanced, but you can do a lot more with it.

• MedinaRegal says:

I think a better comparison would be how would this be against Source SDK or the Unreal SDK

14. DOLBYdigital says:

Thank you Crytek, now you will get my sale (although very upset its not on steam). Loved the mods for Crysis 1 so I’m looking forward to some great stuff!