The Shell Game: New Red Orchestra 2 Shots

By Quintin Smith on June 30th, 2011 at 6:14 pm.

USB sticks were difficult to handle prior to miniaturisation

I’m quite glad. Stalinglad, in fact, and it’s all because I have these new shots of upcoming gritty multiplayer FPS Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalinglad. Grad. Stalingrad. Look, give me a minute, I’m still reeling from that Call of Duty convention thing.

Alright, alright, you monsters… here they are…

And while we’re at it, here are some new screens of Rising Storm, a huge mod that’s already in development for Red Orchestra 2 that’s being developed with a healthy dose of Tripwire’s own support. That, gentlemen, is a developer doing it right.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pitak89 says:

I need to find more opportunities to use “Stalinglad”.

2. Sweedums says:

Huh, I didn’t know they were making some Pacific content as well. Excellent.

3. sana says:

I hope it’s not another Unreal Engine 2 mod.

• JerreyRough says:

Its a fully licensed Unreal Engine 3 game, which means its an edited version of Unreal 3.

4. pupsikaso says:

Good. Very good. We are sorely lacking a good WW2 game about now.

Shakermaker says:

True, it has been a while, especially a WWII manshoot made especially for PC.

• Gadriel says:

I never got sick of them. I’ve been missing the setting sorely, particularly when it comes to immersive shooters.

5. Retribution says:

Giggity, the game is looking fantastic so far. I’m still worried about the VAC / Punkbuster deal though…

6. tubby says:

amazing!

7. Red Rabbit says:

I came

8. Isometric says:

Good lord!

9. notjasonlee says:

the last video shown of RO2 was like a year ago! what gives? when me can play?

• rammjaeger says:

The last videos of RO2 came out of GDC just a few months ago. Also, it was announced last week that the game comes out August 30th, 2011. So not much longer and you can get your hands on it :)

10. Kuroko says:

ROgasm!!

JB says:

Between this and Arma3 I forsee an expensive upgrade in my near future =\

However, yay for RO!

• timmyvos says:

It’s just a updated Unreal Engine game so this shouldn’t require that much of an upgrade.

• MadMatty says:

Yeah Unreal 3 ran comfortably maxxed out on my dual core rig- in my humble opinion the Unreal 3 tech is the smoothest and best graphics renderer for the PC currently out- just too bad there arent any great games for it-
      this could be it…..

12. Novotny says:

I am so so standing to attention. Even while sitting.

13. mkultra says:

I haven’t read anything about this title having terrain/building destruction.

Does it have it?

It won’t, but it should.

• Boozebeard says:

There is limited building destruction. I know you can blow up walls with tanks but you can’t totally flatten buildings.

• mkultra says:

Oh. That is exactly awesome. Thank you for the info.

• Gadriel says:

Awesome. But now I already want RO3 on the Frostbite 2 engine.

14. LazerBeast says:

I want it noooowwwwwwwww!

15. innociv says:

Wow!

They really improved the shaders. Much less glossy, much more real.

Can’t wait.

16. skurmedel says:

I am gonna give them all my munies.

Shakermaker says:

I am gonna pre-order the hell out of this as soon as Steam lets me.

18. OctaneHugo says:

Dear God I must upgrade my computer. And somehow balance playing this with college.

19. Bodminzer says:

As someone building a new super pc for the first time in years, every single good looking pc exclusive makes me giddy., and this makes me giddier than most.

20. Teh Geek says:

I spy one of the many miniwagon-mounted MGs, an Amtrak amphibious transport for the mod :D, Russian tank crew, a Chi-ha tank, a Stuart, a non-T-34 Russian light tank (T-60?), a scoped MKB 42 (Sturmgewehr 44 prototype) held by a guy with a badass Counterstrike-ish balaclava keeping him warm, and a whole lot of awesome.

All hail Tripwire! (And the modders developing Rising Storm, Iron Europe, and pretty much every other RO2 mod to come into existence as I have yet to hear of one that isnt good)

• Stranglove says:

Actually, that ‘non t34 soviet tank’ is actually a T34/76 (1941 model). RO2 is only being released with two pilotable vehicles, the above T34 and the PZIV ausf G, I believe.

21. Araxiel says:

They’re handing out the modding tools BEFORE the game is released? Take that, EA-regime!

• mr_notorious says:

TWI released the SDK to the top modding teams of RO1 like a year early so that they can have a head start so that their mods will be popular during when RO2 is in its prime.

22. pagad says:

This definitely does have a singleplayer component, right?

• Red Rabbit says:

It’s like training with bots a little bit like the “singleplayer” in Brink. It’s not a campaign mode with cut-scenes and stuff.

• herpadon says:

Actually, it does have a campagin. 2 in fact. They added a Soviet story-mode campaign, as well as a Germany campaign. 2 for the price of one.

Which is also interesting because we may get to see the point of view from a regular farmer turned Wehrmacht soldier; a stark contrast to the generic storm trooper every-German-soldier-was-a-nazi version like in Call of Duty and so on.

• wilsonam says:

Actually, to be picky on the single player, it isn’t “training with bots”. Nor is it a $50m production, its-going-to-cost -you-$60-plus-$15-per-map 4 hour storyline thing. You’ll have two campaigns of 12 missions, one Russian campaign and one German. You and your squad against the world. Well, against the enemy. This time the AI is actually, well, more I (“intelligent” for the hard-of-reading out there) – they’ll give you a hard time. For quite a few hours of gameplay, too!

Petethegoat says:

Oh thank god they’re doing a German campaign. That’s really good.
      It always annoyed me that Call of Duty never had a German campaign, however many years ago I played it.

• patricij says:

Great Scott! A German campaign! Thats fantastic.. Ive grown pretty annoyed there could be a campaign about a regular Russian soldier (not a politruk), but not about a German one.. Theres simply a little difference among draftees going to war..

• MultiVaC says:

I’m still not clear on what the single player is actually going to be like… are there actual set-pieces, characters, and progression through maps? Or is it just glorified bot matches on the multiplayer maps with a few token story things stringing them together? I remember games like UT3 and Brink making promises of legitimate campaign modes that ended up being absolute bullshit, with their actual “campaign” levels being literally CTF matches with bots.

23. wazups2x says:

It’s funny how any indie developer like Tripwire can make a MUCH better game than many of the big AAA developers.

Look at Brink and Homefront. Both failures in comparison to RO:HoS.

• metalangel says:

What’s wrong with Homefront’s multiplayer?

• herpadon says:

I have no idea about Homefront, but to be fair in regards to Brink, it is a completely different game than HoS. People appreciate them both for different reasons.

• Mattressi says:

Not sure if you guys noticed, but both Homefront and Brink received generally negative reviews (and a metacritic score of 70, with user scores of 5.7 and 6.4 respectively) while Red Orchestra received generally positive reviews (with metacritic score of 81 and user score of 8.6). They might be different styles and it might be comparing apples to oranges, but those two apples are the rotten kind with a worm in it, while Red Orchestra is a fresh, juicy orange. I want an orange now.

24. Shadrach says:

RO2 gives me an IS2 in the pants.

25. EOT says:

Hopefully this move to U3 will mean I’ll actually get to play the game without getting frustrated by not being able to see the enemy because of the limits of the engine and the supported resolutions. Seriously it’s hard to see folk past 100 yards which even my fairly dodgy real life eyes can manage.

Also, I hope there are more servers for this one. Maybe even some Tripwire hosted noob servers. As last time I looked, filtering no passwords, bots or empty servers I’ve found the same 3/5 servers…and then of course there’s downloading all their bloody custom skins and textures.

Anyway. Rant over.

• tubby says:

That could have something to do with the fact that the original RO is like 6 years old…
      Yet hundreds of folks play it and darkest hour even today.

• rammjaeger says:

Right now (which is past peak play times) I find about 25 RO servers and 6 Darkest Hour servers (a RO1 Mod) all with people on them. That’s a lot more than 3/5 :) The game is 5 years old though. Still its peak player counts are higher than recent AAA releases like Brink and Homefront even now. There will be plenty of full servers when RO2 comes out though.

26. Damo says:

My gentleman’s-area appears to have become moist.

27. Apocalypse 31 says:

I hope RO2 outsells BF3. Sadly, I know it won’t, but Tripwire deserve it!

28. handyman24602 says:

Let the team tanker versus solo tanker debate commence! Also, will there be clown cars?

29. agent47 says:

Can’t wait, nice to see some of the Russian tanks and RS looks amazing.

30. Bweahns says:

I haven’t been excited about a game release since HL2. I’m really getting geed up for RO2. I feel like a giddy teenager again.

31. tigershuffle says:

looks lovely…….and i mustve taken my eye off the RO ball, cos the Pacific mod thang slipped by me.
    and it looks awesome. :D

Does it also mean there is a chance of some late war Soviet v Japanese in Manchuria shenanigans?

32. NTDGutshot says:

And a WWI mod also in development. Gotta love all of this.

33. 24Pz.org says:

Nice screenies!
    And if anyone is looking for a solid realism unit for RO2: HOS / Rising Storm, look no further – http://www.24Pz.org

24th Panzer Division is featured in the game’s campaign and we’re accepting new applications prior to the release! Follow the link to apply!*

* – subject to some age limitations

34. 3ay says:

I liked them and I play it all day my game pictures is here ┼čahinnparadisegelenekselramazanco┼čkusu