(We Think) Brink Slinks Back To UK Steam

By Alec Meer on July 1st, 2011 at 11:30 am.

Look! A screenshot of how it actually looks rather than some nice character models posing without an interface

Splash Damage’s solid team-manshoot Brink has been out for a million years by now, of course. Except if you live in land of chaotic weather and fine tea known as the UK and like to buy your PC games via Steam, in which case it’s only just come out. Our inquiries into why it’s been missing from Brit-Steam for so long have only ever been met with no comments, but whatever the problem was (a disagreement with Steam ToCs? Something to do with keeping retailers happy? A mountain goat chewed an important cable? We can but speculate.)

Well, now it’s back. Why? We don’t know. Too late to mean much? We don’t know. All we know is that a) it’s back and b) it’s discounted by 25% for the time being, which means the price is an eminently reasonable £22.49 (which is still dearer than retail). Free DLC’s due soon, so maybe now’s a decent time to take its bytes and force them onto your hard drive if you haven’t already.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mark says:

I feel like I’ve been spamming this everywhere, but *blows raspberry*:

Game.co.uk selling the PC version for £12.99. I ordered mine yesterday and they just shipped today.

Edit: alternatively, go to Lewie’s site and buy it through his link so he gets some affliate income:

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Worth bearing in mind though that more people were playing the Supreme Commander 2 demo than Brink yesterday. The community isn’t exactly in the rudest of health, though hopefully the DLC can inject a bit of life back into it.

• Mark says:

I admit there is a vested interest. I’m trying to entice as many people as possible to buy it so there’s someone to play with. :P

Truthfully, if worst comes to worst, I’m simply curious to play it, even against bots, to see what it did right and wrong. I feel the same about Duke Nukem Forever, which I intend to buy when it becomes cheap enough. Even bad games can be interesting to play.

• TormDK says:

I found Brink to be a good mix of TF2 and the Battlefield series and overall good fun – if your team can figure out how to support each other.

• MonkeyMonster says:

@PuffinChild blimey… the demo :D
      Given the game is so cheap you’d reckon they’d move on to it by now. Though are their brink servers that won’t get listed by the steam server stats I presume you’re lookin at?

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

@MonkeyMonster: Brink uses Steamworks, everyone playing should show up in the Steam stats (it’s doing a bit better now: Brink has 432 players, besting the SupCom2 demo by a whopping 37 players). Admittedly I’m part of Brink’s problem, I mucked around in the first few weeks after release and haven’t touched it since (which I really should, the last balance patch looks rather interesting on paper).

• Xercies says:

Yeah even though I actually really liked Brink(don’t believe the reviews everyone of them really didn’t make the game out very well and were kind of factually wrong i think) but i haven’t played it much, just because it is so hard to get a game now, also even if there are servers with 10-15 people it seems to bring up a message of it “being full” which clearly it isn’t.

2. Teddy Leach says:

I don’t care any more. Not without an explanation.

• skinlo says:

Why? Because they ‘owe’ you one?

• Ogun says:

Going to give it one more play for an hour next weekend and delete it/become addicted, depending on how things go. If there aren’t enough people playing it then I don’t see the point of getting into it.

It should have been on Steam a lot sooner to get the player base up – and an explanation/excuse would be nice. Bethesda/SD are a day late and a dollar short – saying that as someone who pre-ordered the “I’m a mug, here’s my money” pack and then couldn’t push the game on my Steam friends (who I am now back to happily playing BC2 with).

• Thants says:

They do owe people an explanation, yes.

3. bwion says:

I choose to believe the mountain goat theory, absent any other evidence.

If, of course, any other evidence comes to light, that will just be further proof of the vast conspiracy on the part of mountain goat sympathizers.

4. Lobotomist says:

I am waiting for 20$ price ( or demo at least)

5. Crimsoneer says:

Bizarrely, I really, really enjoy it.

6. Unaco says:

No Sale for me, I’m afraid.

I was quite looking forward to this, but didn’t get round to pre-ordering. On release day, I checked my finances, and realised I had just enough spare shekels to splash out and pick it up. So, I tried to buy it on STEAM. No Sale! It had been removed. I looked at picking it up from somewhere else, but the news and the stories I was hearing were claiming that, because it’s a Steamworks title, it needs to be registered on Steam, and because it had been removed, it couldn’t be registered (this wasn’t the case in the end, but it was what I was hearing at the time). That, combined with no official response or statement on the issue, no assurances that UK people could still buy from another retailer and register the game on Steam, turned me off completely. This was a Friday, I think, and although by the Monday it was clear that the game could still be registered on Steam, I’d given up on it already (because It wasn’t as great as everyone was expecting, there were issues with ATI cards).

And now… Well, there doesn’t seem to be much of a Player Base. There were quite a number of RPS’ers, from the Steam chat family, arranging games and playing… but they seem to have gone now. And, it doesn’t seem to have been the revolutionary, game changing game that I was expecting/hoping for. So, I’m not going to pick it up now.

7. ChiefOfBeef says:

Bethesda and SD are still trying to kill the game with over-priced and obviously contrived ‘Dee-El-See’ that could have simply been in the game at release. Charging for maps is also a big no-no.

They could have followed TF2′s model and cranked out the bug fixes a lot faster. They didn’t. I like the game but sick of playing with bots and it’s become a big horrid turkey.

• JD167 says:

It’s free?

• Gnoupi says:

TF2 got its bugs and lack of maps fixed fast? I guess my memory is failing with age.

Besides, if you’re sick of playing with bots, play with humans. I always find 15-20 servers around (ping < 100) with people on, no reason to spend your time with bots.

• Chris D says:

But the bots don’t yell at me.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

TF2 got a quick turnover of bug fixes and updates when it came out. It doesn’t mean new ones didn’t appear or that they were always dealt with. Yes your memory is failing; you probably don’t even remember the post at the top of the thread about the tree insurance. Attempts to play with humans have been twarted by bugs.

JD, no it isn’t free and neither was TF2 until recently: but all the updates for it were. The paid content only came in after three years and served to refresh the game. This is not what has happened with Brink where it’s simply been badly utilised as a cash cow that has fallen flat on its face.

8. rocketman71 says:

When they add the promised offline LAN support (yeah, I know, redundant), I’ll think about buying it.

9. nathanebht says:

Brink is so close to being a good game. But the devs didn’t quite get there.

10. Vandelay says:

The release of Brink was a complete fuck up. As well as its absence from Steam, D2D messed up there CD keys on their pre-orders for the UK (Europe?) Then you had all the terrible reviews, which I swear must have not played the thing with real people (marketing of the single player probably didn’t help.)

If people actually did decide to play, they ran the risk of hitting bugs that a large group of people who didn’t own a nVidia card suffered from, a map that was unplayable due to no sound and a grind to get some kind of distinction between the classes (not to mention the much vaunted body types.)

If you get passed all that, you discover a really quality game. Get on a team that knows what it is doing and the maps suddenly completely open up. What initially seems like a tight corridor multilayer game actually offers multiple paths to goal, if your team is willing to chase anything besides kills and the main objective. The use of different classes to get various buffs becomes essential, with the medic and engineer being particular useful. Some maps are better than others, the good ones let you use SMART to real reach places much faster.

I would definitely recommend someone on the fence to give it a go, but you really need to dedicate a good 5-6 hours before the good stuff comes into play (might be better now people have unlocked most abilities.)

11. clippa says:

I urge everyone to buy this, in my opinion it’s easily the best game of the year so far.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Or it will be when Bethesda make a serious effort to encourage old players to return and new ones to actually buy it. A big price drop should be on the cards and intense bug-fixing and free content updates.

12. Jeeva says:

Now all that’s missing from Steam (that I’ve noticed) is the new Red Faction. I really had to look around to find it in stores, too. Does that mean it’s not doing so well? I quite want to play it… =
    ’tis Steamworks, again, though, which is why I’m so confused that it’s not on Steam. Grr.

13. Thants says:

You know, I think that the secret inspiration for Brink might be the two District 13 movies. They’ve got the same french punk style and the parkour.

They’re worth a watch if you like Brink’s style and silly action movies.

14. slick_101 says:

For me. This game was all bark and no bite. Okay maybe that’s a tad Harsh. Its a mere nibble. After 9-10 hours I was done…. Completed all the campaign, the challenges and maxed the level. There was no play on incentive. Now I’m not even sure I want to reinstall it for the update. (and yes I was one of those mugs that pre-ordered on steam)

Comment on this story