Announcing: Quindependence Day

By Quintin Smith on July 4th, 2011 at 5:54 pm.

EXCITEMENT!

Hello, ladies! Men.

I joined the RPS team this time last year. Following almost twelve months of PC gaming news, reviews, thrills and spills, some of which the RPS server was actually up for, I’m announcing that today, the fourth of July, or Quindependance day, will be my last day on the site. I’m going back to ordinary freelancing. But before I go, I’d quickly like to say thanks.

The RPS readership is, as you lot must know deep down in your aluminium, fan-cooled hearts, the finest of any gaming site around. I’d like to thank you for making me laugh every single day with what you write in the comments, as well as generally being a pleasure to write for. I’d especially like to thank everybody who ever wrote in with a tip for me, because you contributed to my humble dream of being able to start drinking at 1pm.

I’d like to thank the RPS founders for not just giving me the freedom to write god knows how many words about Norrland, but to go on to pay me for it.

Most of all, though, I’d like to thank Jim for meticulously replacing every single piece of my cursed PC over several trips to London and then continuing to puzzle over it when it still didn’t work. He fixed it, in the end. Of course he did. He’s a PC gamer, same as you.

While I’ll be around and freelancing for RPS in the future (as well as attending any future London RPS social clubs, for sure), I’d like to close with a list of all the work I’ve done for RPS that I’m proud of, because it’s simply so much longer than it would be for any other site or magazine in existence.

So!

Butchering Pathologic. My love letter to the single strangest, strongest game I’ve ever played, and the only game I’ve loved enough to get a tattoo of.

Planetside: The 1%. Telling stories from within games is pretty much my thing, and this is the single best story I have to tell. There’s some stuff I’d change about the writing, but who cares? It happened to me, I went onto RPS and screamed about it, and people wrote to me saying they really enjoyed it. That’s as crystalline as this job gets.

AHL: The 5am. The above story might be the most cinematic, but I like this one of an expedition into a labyrinthine, evil map secret more. More spooky games journalism! That’s what I say.

Pitchfork Media: A Portrait of Wurm Online. Speaking of spooky journalism, this account of being robbed by hicks in hardcore indie MMORPG Wurm Online is about as intimidating as new games journalism gets.

Gameboys From Hell. Solium Infernum is a play-by-email strategy game by Vic Davis that casts players as arch-demons warring over who will rule Hell. Gameboys From Hell was our epic diary of a two-month long game that came close to ruining friendships. You think Song of Ice & Fire features venemous characters? You ain’t seen nothing yet. I read this again every single year, and it just gets better.

Neptune’s Pride and Falls. This fucking game.

Galactic Bartender. Space Station 13 is a free-form online game where players fill all the roles of a huge space station, making it a bit like Babylon 5 with everybody adlibbing their lines. As a trained real-life bartender, I figured I’d ply my trade in outer space. It went well, considering.

The Song of Onionbog. Seeing as RPS hadn’t yet had the inevitable Dwarf Fortress diary, I figured I’d have a go. Yeah, I didn’t finish it, but I like the format it took- one part new games journalism with one part friendly tutorial, the idea being it could simultaneously show the appeal of Dwarf Fortress while teaching you the basics. The fact that I didn’t play the game for two days and then couldn’t bring myself to return to it and re-learn all those hotkeys speaks volumes. I’m sorry, Dwarf Fortress. I love you.

Captain Smith. How shit can somebody be at Mount & Blade? I found the answer.

Wot I Think: Winter Voices. My single favourite part of working for RPS is nudging unlikely games into the limelight. I couldn’t bring myself to write a positive review of that early version of Winter Voices, but the discussion is the thing.

The Space Funeral Advent Calendar entry. There was a similar thrill in getting Space Funeral on the advent calendar. RPS contributor Brendan Caldwell reckons it’s a funnier game than Portal 2. Minute for minute, I reckon I agree with him.

Wot I Think: SpaceChem. The process of reviewing SpaceChem had me glowing for days. The game was a diamond, I feel like the review captured its brilliance and then you guys commented by the dozen saying you’d bought it and how much you loved it. At best, games journalism is like that- you’re just some tiny mediator standing between the gamer and true love.

This Deus Ex 3 preview. I was always happy at how balanced this one turned out to be, but hearing that the devs felt it captured the game was the real thrill. Sometimes it’s all too easy to feel you’re just bellowing into the dark.

The King of Space interview. A six thousand word tour of everything that makes Eve Online special that I’m not sure any interview I do will ever surpass.

Mine the Gap. Never mind writing about Minecraft first. I like that I wrote about that special Minecraft experience of getting lost in a cave first. If somebody had gotten there before me, I’d have spent years kicking myself.

Snake To Death: The Majesty of Spelunky. The tightest game that I wrote about while at the peak of my “tight” phase. The result is the kind of enthusiasm that at once makes me wince and feel proud. On the subject, you have all played Spelunky, yes? YES?

OK, that’s it from me. I’m off. You guys take care of yourselves, and thanks again for making me laugh so very much.

xox

~ Quinns

EDIT: Quinns informed us he’d like the following edited into the end of his post:

__________________

« | »

1. Stupoider says:

“Quindependence Day”

That pun works well. A little… too well. WAS THIS PLANNED FROM THE BEGINNING?

2. Guhndahb says:

I dislike change and I like your contributions very much, so I’m sad. But I wish you the best of success and hope you visit us often. Thanks so much.

3. Whosi says:

Hopefully your future contributions to the site will include Not Cardboard Children.

Best of luck and thanks for all the words.

4. Whosi says:

Hopefully your future contributions include Not Cardboard Children.

Good luck and thanks for all the words.

5. Farsearcher says:

Thanks for making me laugh and for broadening my gaming horizons.

You like all of RPS changed the way I think about games

Just don’t stop telling stories

6. billyblaze says:

‘Twas a fun ride. All the best to you – godspeed.

7. jaheira says:

No wai dude.
    Colon left bracket.

Come back often.

8. Johnny Lizard says:

Thanks Quinns. You are very much admired.

9. Johnny Lizard says:

Thanks Quinns.

10. RagingLion says:

I’m very very sad to hear this news. It was practically written in the stars wasn’t it?! Quinns, the absolute perfect fit for losing Kieron Gillen, destined to grow in infamy and stature in a long and storied career at RPS :(. You’ve been my favourite writer for the past little while even though all the other guys are great as well. Will miss all your NGJ stuff and I’ve been enthralled by your pieces like the Solium Infernum diaries, Pathologic and The Void, Onionbog (also Demon’s Souls which doesn’t really count but it was linked in a Sunday Papers).

Good luck with all you continue to do – I’m fairly confident your star will shine very brightly wherever you are.

(And to everyone else, read ‘Journey of Saga’ on Quinns blog if you haven’t already. I genuinely think it was the best thing I read last year on the internet.)

11. NeoShai says:

I felt really sad after hearing this but I do hope that you have good luck with your future; it’s been a pleasure reading your articles and your comments.

I hope you don’t forget come back every now and then. :)

12. Man Raised by Puffins says:

It seems like it was only yesterday that baby Quinns was being bounced on the knee of mother RPS, before being eased into the inviting tentacles of the holy Hivebrain. And now the Quinnsbeast emerges fully formed from its sojourn within that amniotic soup, ravenous for iron-rich Gamesjournalism antelope on pastures new.

Godspeed, mighty Quinnsbeast. Godspeed.

13. Bob says:

We’re not losing a journalist, we’re gaining a journa….oh wait, that’s not how that goes.

Best of luck in your future endeavours man. Thanks for writing stuff well.

14. Stompywitch says:

You will be missed, Quinns. Very much missed.

15. MajorManiac says:

Thanks for all the great writing. You’ll be missed.

16. Lambchops says:

it’ll be interesting to see what the new guy or gal is like. In many ways Quinns’ writing had quite a lot in common with KG’s (and they both managed to rather hilariously rile MMO fans Eurogamer reviews, bless ‘em!). Proper adherence to the way of the pun, usually gloriously irrelevant, with the odd misfire (that’s what she said) and both a joy to read.

Will the new writer follow this path, with it’s glory and it’s pitfalls or will they plough their own furrow? And if so what furrow will it be? And what has irrigation got to do with PC gaming anyway?

17. Kaira- says:

Wot a shame.

On unrelated news, I just finished reading that Solium Infernum-thingie (all of it), and by god/devil/spaghetti monster I want. Do people still play it? Seems like a good way to ruin some friendships, especially if it has hotseat-mode.

18. BathroomCitizen says:

Goodbye Quinns :(

19. TsunamiWombat says:

Quinns, we’re never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna tell a lie or hurt you.

20. Wizlah says:

Well shit on a shit stick. Also, fucknuts.

Quinns, you better be using the time to write a book. I know I’ve pointed an editor down in London at your stuff. That citizen’s kane of video game thing on your blog was way past superb.

I was chuffed when you joined RPS, and I’m very sad you’re going. You dig up little nooks and crannies of gaming that people like me will never find, and you come back and tell me about places worth exploring, brilliant, impossible and grubby little places held together by sellotape and genius level design, places where you can see the cracks but you don’t care because of the glorious weird vista they provide.

I’m done trying to praise you cos I can’t write and you can. You’re like china mieville, m john harrison and william gibson all wrapped up into one when you write about our virtual landscapes, but you’re funnier and a bit madder than all three so it’s all good.

Like I said, you better be writing a book, you fucker. with any luck, I’ll get to work on it.

21. Wizlah says:

P.S. I liked the New Vegas review.

22. Wizlah says:

RPS COMMENTS STOLE MY POIGNANT FAREWELL TO QUINNS.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

23. Shazbut says:

This is a terrible thing.

24. theleif says:

25. eclipse mattaru says:

“Nothing important happened today…”

26. ffordesoon says:

Thank you, O Iron Quinns, for being the best games writer on the planet.

And thank you, O boomstick of minerals and dead tree slices, for playing host to the best games writer on the planet.

27. WaveOfMutilation says:

So young, cut down before his time.

28. skinlo says:

Good luck for the future Quinns :)

29. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Nooooo! :(

also

Whyyyyyy?!

furthermore:

Are you still going to gamescom?

30. Kaira- says:

It would seem that the comment system ate my comment, so let’s try again.
    What a shame to see Quinns go. Pathologic’s butchering was one of the first article series I read from RPS, and Gameboys from Hell, being a “diary of turn based game” as I like to call them, is a very good read.
    And speaking of Gameboys from Hell, are there any players anymore playing Solium Infernum?

Edit:// No it didn’t. Wot happened.

• Wizlah says:

you know, I was thinking just recently I need to go and buy SI, like I’ve been promising myself for well over a year.

31. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Your time was too short. You’re still the new, ambitious one in my mind. But I know You’re still all that, and still around, eh? I’m looking forward to a new addition to the RPS family!

Right now, thinking about it, I seem to remember you only being officially announced as a full member of RPS when that guy Keiran resigned…

32. Burning Man says:

WHAT. NO. STOP. THIS IS MADNESS.

…….

ALSO DON’T GO.

33. Muhu says:

Umm well I don’t know what to say…

So I will let someone else do it for me:

34. Jubaal says:

I just shed a little iron tear *sniffs*

Thanks for all your great work Quinns, it has genuinely been a pleasure to read.

So long and thanks for all the puns.

o/

35. Reivles says:

I’m afraid you missed an article in your ‘best of’ list, Quinns:
    Every single Not Cardboard Children you’ve written. Seriously, they were as awesome as the rest, and made me look forward to the weekend updates.

Best of luck, sir!

36. Hybrid says:

A big thanks for everything you contributed to RPS!

37. Eukatheude says:

Damn!
    I’ll miss you Quinns.

38. Scandalon says:

I think I may have read one or two posts back in the day, but it was the Pathologic article(s) that made me a reader.

(Funnily enough, when you first joined up “officially”, I was confused…”who’s this Quinn’s guy, I’ve never heard of him before…”

39. jonfitt says:

Quinns, your articles and diaries are some of my favourite pieces of games journalism. I hope you get the chance to write similar things wherever you’re going.
    It’s odd to think it’s only been a year since you came on full time. It seems like longer. In a good way.
    So long Quinns, and thanks for all the fish.

40. jonfitt says:

Quinns, some of your long-form pieces and diaries are among the best games writing I’ve read and have convinced me to buy several games I love.
    It seems like much longer than a year ago since you joined full time (in a good way), and I wish you luck in your future wotsits. I hope you still get to write the type of articles you list up there.
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

41. Zanchito says:

NNooooooooo!!!! I always enjoyed your grandpa stories about strange and mysterious games!!!

At this pace, RPS will be redacted by the cleaning lady in a couple of months. :(

42. FCA says:

I’ll miss the mad brilliant ramblings. Good luck with your future endeavours!

And, one more Onionbog please?

43. aego says:

So long, Quinns. You’ll be missed. It was so fun having you here!

Did you at least get to choose your own successor?

44. harvb says:

Adios Quinns old bean, sorry to see you go.

45. Groove says:

Mega-shame.

46. aego says:

So long, Quinns. You’ll be missed. It was fun having you here.

Did you at least get to choose your own successor?

47. Grey_Ghost says:

*sad face*

48. Grey_Ghost says:

Less Quinns… *sad face*

49. adonf says:

Thanks for the lolz and good luck with your new projects at Marvel (I can’t wait for the December issue of Uncanny X-Men)