BOOM! The RPS Social Club Rides Again

By Quintin Smith on July 4th, 2011 at 3:51 pm.

Alec really does have the best handwriting

BOOM! That is the noise of the drinking drum, summoning you lot into action, because the London branch of the Rock, Paper, Shotgun Social Club has finalised the dates for its next three meets. Including, no kidding, a Ladies Night.

What are you doing on Saturday the 16th of July, Saturday the 13th of August and Saturday the 27th of August? That’s a trick question, by the way.

You’re attending these fine events, surely. The following information is plucked straight from this thread on our forums, where Social Club organiser, RPS fan and general Nordic go-getter Siri Hommelsgård is eager to hear you pledge your attendance, your allegiance, or anything else you care to pledge.

SATURDAY 16th OF JULY
We (which is a euphemism for “you”, since I’m tragically stuck in the Northern Wastes) are gathering at the Blue Posts once again to enjoy fine alcoholic beverages and discuss the important things in life, such as games, quantum mechanics and the finer points of Munchkin.
Function room booked from 6pm – midnight.

SATURDAY 13th OF AUGUST
We’re gathering in Soho Square to get Drunk In a Park. Since quite a few of you seem to have problems Finding Things ™, we figured a small park would be better than a large one. Or no park at all. You’ll find us near the middle of the square from 2pm come sun or nasty weather, and we’ll stay until we can’t take it no more. Bring your own booze, a blanket if you like and an umbrella if it looks like you might need one.

SATURDAY 27th OF AUGUST
What’s the common denominator between percentage of meat in cat food and number of ladies present at the average RPS meet-up?
Answer: 4.

We’re solving the problem right away by inviting you all to RPS LADIES’ NIGHT, where all the guys are required to bring along someone of the opposite sex. It’s a great opportunity to invite your partner or that cute girl you like, or just your friend, sister, mum or auntie for others to enjoy.

We’re not letting you in without a female on your arm. Your only alternative if you can’t find any is to dress up like one. Your choice. It will be awesome and there will be women. Lots of them. But only you can make it happen.
Blue Posts function room booked from 6pm – midnight.

WHERE IS THE BLUE POST?
The Blue Post is a charming pub just off Leicester Square, at 28 Rupert Street, postcode W1D 6DJ. It’s very close to Piccadilly and Leicester Square tube stations, and fairly close to half the ones in central London. You can find maps and directions over at trusty old Google Maps.

There’s decent food available, and there’s a bar upstairs in the function room, as well as a toilet. This saves you from associating with the proles and beggars likely to be found downstairs, and ensures that you won’t fall down the stairs when collecting your tray of Jäger shots.

The last social club saw me playing Father Christmas and handing out boxed copies of such sterling PC games as Tow Truck Simulator, Cities In Motion and King’s Bounty, so if you were going to go but didn’t then I bet you feel silly now. Seriously though, it is a lovely time with lovely people, and I hope to see lots of you there.

, , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

Any chance of a repeat of the Manchester night? I was unfortunately already booked to go to that silly Primaavera Sound.

Please don’t let it be at Font if so. Please.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yeah, I’m a bit busy atm, but I will get to organising one probably after I get back from Develop this month.

Edit: And the plan is to return to Kyoto.

• Tams80 says:

Ah, I hope the last one went well. I also missed the last one, so another one would be fantastic!

• Duke of Chutney says:

Yeh the last one was good. I’d do it again. The gaming room was pretty decent but the guiness was poor. Given that i didnt pay anything for the gaming room last time, i believe i owe you some sort of beverage Mr Procter.

• kharnevil says:

Manchester, do it, at the The Castle Hotel Back room.

2. Nallen says:

16th July sounds mighty doable!

3. Gunsmith says:

London? seriously? Dissapoint.

• President Weasel says:

Siri Hommelsgard is not officially associated with RPS and has created the RPS Social Club (London Branch) through sheer determination, organising skills, persistence, and being quite tall.

If you are disappoint by the lack of an RPS Social Club ([your area] branch) then I suggest you take a leaf from Siri’s book. Not the leaf about being quite tall and Norwegian at the same time, the leaf about organising one.

• Ginger Yellow says:

Would you prefer Bath?

• DrGonzo says:

I would prefer Nottingham, but no it is not realistic at all to ask me to organise it. I don’t have the time or the determination.

4. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Saturday 16th of July, day after my birthday so going for a meal

Saturday the 13th of August, nothing planned as yet

Saturday the 27th of August, Going to my mates wedding

oh wait, you didn’t actually want to know what I was doing did you?

5. adonf says:

Getting Drunk In a Park is my favourite outdoor activity, so I’m considering coming to the August 13th meet. Is drinking in parks legal in London? If not it’s even better!

6. kwyjibo says:

Oh no! I’m not sure if I can make any of these. Who will play the role of unchill azn bro?

7. arienette says:

I should be living in London by this point, so I feel I’ve no choice. Last one was a laugh and a half, and I got a free game that no one had heard of and I haven’t played… bonus!

oceanclub says:

You need a Dublin franchise….

P.

9. bonjovi says:

everyone is invited? :D

• arienette says:

So long as you can make and are old enough to drink, that pretty much qualifies you to go. Generally helps if you like games too.

10. Danny says:

I approve of the choice of pub.

11. enobayram says:

Can I come to the ladies night? (Even though “can X come to the ladies night?” has a non-trivial answer, dependent on X’s gender, the answer is trivially ‘no’ when X is I…)

12. Ian says:

Somebody needs to set up for for UP NORTH. (Further north than Manchester.)

I’m a subscriber, dammit. I shouldn’t have to do things for myself.

• President Weasel says:

Nobody’s going to come to Hamilton, but there are some decent pubs in Glasgow, or at least there were when I lived there about seven years ago. I’m sure there are Scottish RPSites who aren’t in exile in That London, and who aren’t Ian.

• Ian says:

It’s okay, *I* wouldn’t advocate one in Hamilton. :-P

• G_Man_007 says:

Yeah, something for the Scotish contingent (of which I will soon be a member) is needed.

• Ian says:

Speaking of which, I wonder what “northern wastes” Quinns was in? I like the idea of an RPS Social Club “on the road” type thing. If they’re out and about in places just organising impromptu meet-ups if they have the time/inclination.

• Mehall says:

Woops, missed this thread when I made one further down.

Weasel: What do you mean nobody will come to Hamilton!?!

Pub trip to Glasgow sounds good to me though!

• thegooseking says:

Add me on Steam (thegooseking) if you haven’t already and I’ll invite you to the RPScotland Steam group. Although the Steam group isn’t really the right forum for this kind of thing. If only we had, you know, something like… some kind of forum where we could discuss it.

I’m generally trying to organise Scotland (probably Edinburgh) stuff, but I’ve been under the radar a bit while I try to finish my yearly progress report, which is a bit of a big deal.

I made a thread on the old forum. I’ll make something on the new forum soon.

• President Weasel says:

Wait, are you from Hamilton? Ian Warboss is from there, do you know him?
      I lived in Blantyre til I was two, but you won’t get me back there :)

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’ll second the vote for Edinburgh: lots of lovely pubs here too, and it means (selfish motive incoming) I won’t have to catch a bus or train over to Glasgow and back. But if it’s in Glasgow I will absolutely come along anyway.

• Mehall says:

I am indeed from Hamilton, but that name isn’t familiar to me I’m afraid.

• Auspex says:

I’d be up for a Scotland meet up too. I’m Glasgow based but I could probably be convinced to lope over to Edinburgh to be awkward with strangers.

• President Weasel says:

Glasgow is better than Edinburgh though; in fact, Glasgow’s Miles Better :)

• mandrill says:

I’m in. Time and place, Glasgae or Auld Reekie either is good (I live in Glasgow but know Edinburgh better so at least I wouldn’t get lost if it were in Edinburgh.)

ChainsawHands says:

I’d also be interested in a Glasgow meetup.

soulblur says:

“Ladies’ Night!” Wow. Plural possessive. There is a man who thinks about his grammar. And, evidently, about his ladies. This is their night.

Sadly, I have no ladies to bring to said night. Well, I have a lady, but but when I try to get her to play anything more intense than tetris, she fixes me with a withering stare. And she doesn’t really drink. So that’s a no-goer. But I applaud the notion.

BathroomCitizen says:

I swear that one day I’ll move my ass from Italy to make it to one of the RPS Social Club meetings.

• elvis says:

Hot damn, I swear, that there will be a day when I’ll move back to UK and start my life anew!
      Judging from experience, english people are much more fun, than where I am.
      Ok, I’ll just shut up and stop dreaming of the days gone bye.

15. Raziel_aXd says:

I’m coming. Wait, to get to London I need to fly for several ours…

16. Spinks says:

” It’s a great opportunity to invite your partner or that cute girl you like, or just your friend, sister, mum or auntie for others to enjoy.”

I’m not going anywhere for others to enjoy!!!!

17. Mehall says:

Any Scots? Glasgow side to be specific. We could all, like, go be stereotypical and go get drunk together. (which actually sounds like a good idea :D )

• Ian says:

Damn it, Mehall, we’re already talking about this upthread. ;D

• mandrill says:

See below (and above apparently) that’ll teach me to read all the comments before posting one of my own.

felisc says:

on august 27th i’ll be watching the new deus ex preloading. with girls. and alcohol.

Stense says:

Weeee, yay!

Some_Guy says:

Might try the august one, sounds fun.

21. Fneb says:

If I come to the ladies night one, am I going to get hit on all the way through? I’ve never been to an RPS social thing so I don’t know the crowd!

22. wastelanderone says:

I had no idea there were forums.

Sadly, I can’t make it down to London in the next couple months – Manchester please!

23. Cael says:

When are you going to have a meet up in hawaii so I can go?

24. Eukatheude says:

Getting Drunk In a Park with RPS writers and commenters would be something too awesome to even describe. Shame i’d have to take a plane to get there (and probably couldn’t drink either. What’s the legal age for drinking in UK?)

25. EBass says:

Wow I might be able to make one of these for once.

26. mandrill says:

Ever thought of doing one of these in Galsgow? Or even Edinburgh is a manageable travel distance at a push.

27. ActionScientist says:

Mighty convenient, I am down in London for the They Might Be Giants gig so I can’t wait around then come to that then too this, :D sounds awesome.

28. Araxiel says:

There should be a Central European Branch of the RPS Social Club. We should call it “Merci Gott that við ne pas leves on das silly island”.