Be Lucky: Fortune Summoners

By Alec Meer on July 4th, 2011 at 4:20 pm.

Yes, I cut off the big eyes at the top to make sure you actually read the post

They’ve not even got out their second game Chantelise yet, but already Recettear‘s translator/Western publisher Carpe Fulgur have lifted the lid on project the third. It’s another translation of a Japanese indie game – this time being side-scrolling RPG/platformer Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone, which apparently has been something of a pet project for CF boss Andrew Dice. Have you heard of it? I haven’t. But then I haven’t heard of most things, like dinosaurs, cheese and the offside rule.

Allow me to copy some pasta for you, as I’m not enormously familiar with most of the comparison games here:

“”It’s cut from the same sort of cloth as Zelda II, Wonder Boy or the original Ys III (Wanderers From Ys, not Oath in Felghana). It includes both combat and puzzle elements, with later puzzles requiring clever usage of all three party members to succeed. Each party member has different abilities – Arche is a swordfighter and is surprisingly strong for her age, Sana is a water spellcaster and has a number of support abilities (and can breathe underwater) and Stella… burns things. Lots.”

What’s a Zelda?

Fortune Summoners appears to have a promising detailed hand-drawn look, though obviously it has ANIME-LOOKING CHARACTERS WITH BIG EYES AND STUFF, therefore some of you will have A VIOLENT OBJECTION to even thinking about this HORRIFIC INSULT to EVERYTHING YOU HOLD DEAR/prefer to look at, regardless of how good a game it turns out to be. Comments like that make my day. No, wait, the opposite. (I’m no fan of that look myself, but it’s never going to stop me from playing something interesting).

More in the announcement post, which also reveals stuff such as being DRM free, having X-input support for assorted gamepads and details on which version of the original Japanese game this is based on. We’re looking at a November or December release, with a demo likely to land a month or two sooner.

, , , .

1. Nickless_One says:

Capitalism, ho!

• Vexing Vision says:

Capitalism, ho! +1

The dialogues literally cracked me up every single time. Whoever is doing the writing/translation for them is a genius, and I’ll definitely look at the other titles with an interested eye.

2. _Jackalope_ says:

Town of Tonkiness? Sold.

3. Kaira- says:

Before anyone has the chance to mention this.

4. Jumwa says:

The anime look is a turn off for me, but all the good buzz around Recettear was enough to get me to try it all the same, and I found out what a delightful experience it is. So this? I’ll give it a go. I’ll just be sure to post anonymously to forums across the internet raging about the anime look and how it ruins everything and make a big fuss to compensate.

Zelda II was an odd one, but it was definitely fun and interesting. I would’ve enjoyed it more had I played it extensively back in ye olde dayes, but sadly I didn’t really pick up a copy to give it a go until age had weakened my nerves for death and punishment in games.

• Hoaxfish says:

Give me a game drawn in the same style as Tintin or Asterix!

5. fiddlesticks says:

The only sidescroller/RPG hybrids I’m familiar with are the post “Symphony of the Night” Castlevanias. And those were amazing. So, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this project.

• sassy says:

I haven’t seen any video of this game but I am going to assure you it isn’t like SOTS, otherwise it would have been one of the games mentioned in the press release.

I had a bunch of games in mind that I was going to mention it would most likely be like but I can’t think of a single one of their titles. Doubt you would have heard of them anyway.

• StenL says:

Wonder Boy ? The SNES Ys games ? Wizards & Warriors ? Castlevania 2 ? Zelda 2 ?

6. abhishek says:

Space Drake also mentioned on his twitter feed yesterday that he’s hoping to have Chantelise out by the end of this month.

7. Lewie Procter says:

Ooh, Wonder Boy.

8. Soon says:

The screenshot instantly reminded me of The Spirit Engine 2.
    Which everybody should play, as it’s excellent. And free.

Although, this sounds like it may be more platformy. Whereas The Spirit Engine is a side-scrolling RPG.

• _Jackalope_ says:

That’s a great game. I have no idea what I’m doing during the combat but the story and character’s are fantastic.

Anthile says:

“Zelda II, Wonder Boy or the original Ys III” – but none of these were particularly good :/. Shame Ys never really made it in the west, while I don’t like it, I’m quite sure a lot of people would have.
    Still looking forward to this.

• sassy says:

Minus the first, Wonder Boy was excellent!

• Tacroy says:

Zelda 2 was okay, the only problem with it is that the original Zelda game built up a certain expectation in people’s minds and Zelda 2 had nothing to do with that junk.

It’s kind of like the way the new X-Com game is shaping up honestly.

10. tanith says:

I will never understand why people have such a hate for Anime. Not liking it – fine, but hating it?
    Note that I don’t say you cannot hate it! I just don’t understand it. No, please. Hate it all you like. (:

With that out of the way I can say that I’m really looking forward to their next two projects. I just hope that they make enough money to license and translate even more games and bring them to my favourite digital distribution.
    Besides, you cannot go wrong with a side-scroller. Man, I looove side scrollers. I wish they’d make a Jets’n'Guns 2.

Capitalism, ho!

• leeder krenon says:

I don’t hate it, I just couldn’t imagine ever playing a game that looks like this. I would constantly be quitting to desktop to remind myself that I am a 30 something male who would prefer that the childishness of gaming was just a little less blatant, thus reassuring myself that my hobby is actually perfectly acceptable. Games that look like this do not assist with this insecurity.

• tanith says:

Ah well, it probably also depends on whether you grew up with this or not. In Japan it’s very prominent, I think that almost everyone has watched an episode of Anime at least once and even if this wasn’t the case he’d be still surrounded by it through advertising and what not.
      Since it’s not the case everywhere you may be wary of that.

It’s cool. (:

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Quick! We must give all them all a health dose of Full Metal Alchemist and Yakitate Japan!

• sassy says:

minus the Full Metal Alchemist, that show was horrible *pretend big rant about my reasons that are irrelevant to a site like this*.

Seriously I don’t understand the hate but I’m a massive fan. Though I can relate slightly as I have a dislike for realism but couldn’t say I hate it, just find it mundane.

• Nevard says:

Presumably nobody is watching over your shoulder so you only have to justify your manhood to yourself, why get so caught up over an art style when the game is the important thing?
      If you know you are doing something you enjoy you shouldn’t care if it looks slightly childish (and plenty of grown men watch anime anyway, and plenty of animes are completely unsuitable for children, so it isn’t even that)

• BitLooter says:

Maybe you should watch some grown-up anime. Go see Perfect Blue. I’ll wait here.

• Zyrusticae says:

I have to say, I feel pity for those who grew up in the animation age ghetto. Being unable to see animation as anything other than “for kids” means you’re depriving yourself of so many wonderful experiences.

Though really, your insecurity about asserting your “manliness” has absolutely nothing to do with that. Why is it so important to you?

• Dreamhacker says:

After Perfect Blue, if you are still convinced all anime is for children, go watch “Grave of the Fireflies” without crying before the end.

If you are still not convinced after that, go watch Bokurano (without committing suicide before the end).

If you are still not convinced after that, go watch Shadow Star Narutaru (without falling into a deep depression before the end)

Well, long story short, a lot of the stuff drawn this way is really not for children. Some of it is barely suitable for adults. Some of it is just plain painful in it’s depressing bleakness.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Mature means depressing.

• pipman3000 says:

mature means loads of guns, swearing, blood, and big titted woman being rescued by bald white space marines.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I always found the older anime’s to be somewhat more mature like Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam.

No Dubs.

Wisq says:

Every time I hear about a Carpe Fulgur game on RPS — and read the inevitable anime backlash — I’m oh-so-grateful that I have none of these misconceptions about anime, and can enjoy these wonderful titles without all their nagging insecurities.

Seriously, if you want to prove you’re all grown up, then you should demonstrate you’re capable of accepting that there’s a country out there where anime is an art that spans all generations — and that if a game is anime-styled but the story and gameplay is fun for (and targeted at) children and adults alike, then (by definition) it’s not just for children any more.

• Aankhen says:

Heh, I was just thinking about how amusing the idea of non-anime being mature was. To me, life would be quite tragic if I had to permanently limit myself to grimdark grey and brown (≠ realism) in order to reassure myself that I am indeed an adult.

11. mlaskus says:

I usually can’t stand the anime look, but this doesn’t look so terrible. The character portrait is awful but it’s small enough. I’m more worried about gameplay mechanics, I hated Recettear.

• sassy says:

The only relation this has to Recettear is that it is from Japan, indie and translated by Carpe Fulgur. You may as well start comparing Mirrors Edge and Dragon Age, they have as much in common.

• mlaskus says:

I’m not comparing them, I’m just wary of their choice of games.

• pipman3000 says:

it’s okay nobody will think you’re a fag if you play this (well nobody worth listening to anyway)

• mlaskus says:

Ah pipman, once again I regret unblocking you. To the block list with you.

12. Eich says:

Yayifications!

13. sassy says:

Carpe Fulgur just take all my money, seriously!
    I’m not a preorder type guy but I preordered Recettear (plus just gifted it to someone during the sale the other day, doubt the person will play it though), will preorder the next game that I can’t think of the name of and now this as well.
    I could wait for sales but this is a company I want to support.

14. Xercies says:

But Zelda 2 was the worst one!

Actually I wouldn’t mind anyone who could improve that game because it was interesting, it wasn’t really that great but it definitely was interesting.

• sassy says:

I AM ERROR

HermitUK says:

The Wonder Boy series is much the same vein – sidescrolling platformers with a hefty dose of RPG stats and items, and a gradually expanding toolkit that helps you get around. They’re also really good.

Anything with a whiff of Zelda, Metroid or Castlevania about it has my interest. Thought Recettear was brill, and I’ll be preordering this as soon as physically possible.

15. subedii says:

What’s a Zelda?

Robin Williams’ daughter.

16. Bhazor says:

Found a trailer for the original release

Looks a little like the DS consolevania games crossed with the early Tales games with a hint of Lost Vikings. Do want.

Edit: Although from the screenshots this looks like the sequel.

17. Dominic White says:

Just a friendly reminder: Carpe Fulgur are a company that localize Japanese indie games. You’re pretty much pissing in the wind if you complain at length about TEH ANIMEZ!!!111oneone.

18. The Army of None says:

That actually sounds like a really cool concept for a game, I’ll be keeping an eye on it!

19. Eich says:

Little girls with swords? I love it!

20. InternetBatman says:

Anyone interested in a completely free sidescroller RPG should check out the spirit engine II. Fun little game.

21. D3xter says:

Not really interested in Chantelise… but I want this, pretty Pixel Graphics and all xD

Rinox says:

Offside is when some mens stand somewhere near the ball between some other mens and the goal line.

Easy, right?

23. Wulf says:

- In regards to art:

If you think the reactions to this would be bad Alec then I worry to think of the reactions that some might have to the game I’m currently playing: Solatorobo – Red the Hunter.

Interestingly though, the reception to the game and its kemono artstyle has been exceedingly positive. Even Joystiq had people talking it up. And this is not just anime art we’re talking about, here, but kemono art. That was a bit of an eye-opener for me, really, and it makes me wonder just why people are so acidic and vitriolic toward anime art styles around these parts.

I actually like the art style, and some of my favourite games have been rendered in the anime/kemono fashion.

- In regards to the game itself:

If this can be anything like Wonder Boy then it’s a guaranteed sale to me and probably the sort of thing that’ll make me very happy. The Wonderboy series, at least from II on, have been some of my favourite platform RPGs. I’ll never forget ‘em. Especially the zaniness of Wonderboy III. Gods that game was weird, and finding hidden, floating, invisible doors wasn’t the half of it. But still, such a good game, and a blast to romp through and explore in.

Sort of also reminds me of the Iconoclasts, which I really, really want to see released, even if it was a bit too hard for my wimpy self. (Well, more that I like experimenting and trying to break games, and I manage to get myself killed that way, and I also forget to static save a lot ((I’m fine with quicksaves and checkpoints). That’s a bad combination of things right there.) CYCLIC BRACKETS.)

The art style is absolutely beautiful but it also worries me that they’ve gone for some sort of boring historical thing, which wouldn’t do much to capture my imagination, but so long as they throw in the kind of weird fantasy shit I tend to expect from Japanese games (that aren’t dungeon crawlers) as par the course, I’ll enjoy the hell out of it.

So it looks lovely, it’s based around gameplay I like and I’m more than happy to support Carpe Fulgur. Sold already, probably.

24. Gadriel says:

How can you mention things you haven’t heard of? Are you a wizard?

25. Eukatheude says:

Speaking of jap indie games, has anyone ever tried Yume Nikki?

• Seangief says:

I love Yume Nikki!!! Too bad that that game is way too artistic for most people, making it an extremely niche genre, i think. But it’s good to hear that someone else on the internet knows about Yume Nikki and Uboa. Oh, and Chantelise looked amazing when I played the Japanese version, but couldn’t get past the first level due to language barrier. I’m so happy to hear that they are bringing it and Fortune summoners too! Please take my money!

26. Zepposlav says:

So it’s not eroge? What’s the point of anime if there is no secks.

• MadTinkerer says:

You do realize that there is a ton of Anime, Manga and Anime/Manga made for kids, teens, and even adults that isn’t erotic, right?

Or were you being ironic/trolling?

27. MadTinkerer says:

WANT TO PREORDER SO BAD

28. Hatsworth says:

This looks far more interesting than Recettar and Chantelise, but it’s probably too grindy and probably doesn’t have tight enough platforming slash action. I hope I’m wrong.
    I also hope all of their projects succeed resulting in Steam becoming more willing to host japanese games in general. No Blazblue on steam is pretty annoying, no shmups(yay Jamestown!) is worse still. It will never happen, but having Cave’s body of work on Steam would be a small dream come true.