Ibb And Obb Give Quinns A Headache

By Quintin Smith on July 4th, 2011 at 4:29 pm.

Steve and Peter In Anti-World, that's what I would have called it

The best indie games are the ones that immediately make you feel slightly unwell, clearly. Braid. Narbacular Drop. Space Funeral. Here’s a new one with more in common with the gravity flipper VVVVVV than anything else – ibb and obb is an entirely co-operative platformer where players can leap through gaps in the floor to walk on the topsy-turvy version of the world. It’s more than a little mind-bending watch two players solve the game’s puzzles in tandem, as you’ll see in the video after the jump. The full game’s due out in early 2012.

Check this out, though. After receiving a 7+ age rating in Europe and 12+ in Japan, the American ESRB have given the preview build of ibb and obb a 17+ “Mature” rating, stating, among other things, that the “main characters sexual preference is perceived as ambiguous and not suitable for all audiences”.

EDIT: Oh OK it’s an April Fools joke. Wow it’s even funnier being caught out by that stuff when it’s not April 1st.

Trailer!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hentzau says:

You. Uh. You realise that blog post has a big “POSTED APRIL 1ST” pasted across the top of the header image right.

2. Danny252 says:

“We posted this on April 1st.
    [...]
    Tags: April Fools”

Oh dear, RPS. Oh dear.

3. Cooper says:

From their blog post:
    We posted this on April 1st. Easy to miss when you read this at a later time so now you know.

Which is a shame, as it almost gave me something to randomly rant about in the office to people that don’t care.

4. Koozer says:

Quinns is the very definition of thorough research and professionalism in the journalistic trade.

Aww leave him alone, it’s an easy mistake to make!

5. Nallen says:

Son, I am disappoint.

6. Ultimanecat says:

It’s Independence Day here in America! It is also apparently Taking the Piss out of Americans Day across the pond.

(Although that’s probably every day, now that I think of it).

• gwathdring says:

We Americans seem to be a bit fuzzy on how to use a calendar properly. Or maybe we’re just impatient. Either way, fireworks were going off like crazy last night and a ball of flame dropped past my window. Had to stop playing TF2 to make sure the lawn wasn’t on fire. That bit was a bit surreal. Turns out it was a partially exploded rocket.

7. Richeh says:

Clearly to get an unrestricted age recommendation they should have stuck a dick in some bitches.

Just to be sure.

And I don’t care that it’s a prank. I think we should rant about it anyway, just because it’s fun.

8. Bhazor says:

Ok that honestly looks amazingly fun and clever.

9. HermitUK says:

Mentioning Wizkid almost distracted me from the fact you fell for an April Fools joke three months late. Almost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDXDRNBIRk Wizkid :D

Also on the subject, this is the face of true evil http://bit.ly/iWmNYs

10. LTK says:

You can bounce the harmless little native fauna around! D’aww.

11. RightOnTime says:

Ten million bonus points for the Jasper Fforde reference…

12. Hodge says:

Oh come on, we’ve all done it. And if nothing else he’s got the biscuits sorted for his next TotalBiscuit post.

Besides, it’s only the blog post that’s a fake, the actual game is happening, yeah?

13. drlemon says:

So you didn’t look at the date on the header, you COMPLETELY missed the banner saying “Posted on april first!”, and you didn’t notice the note saying “April fools day joke! Easy to forget if you read it later!”

Ignorance at its pinnacle.

• fj- says:

Yes, I too was shocked by the total lack of integrity on the part of both this ‘Quintin Smith’ deviant and also the entire editorial team, a substantial one I’m sure. How INCREDIBLY frustrating to see a humorous mistake on the internet. The trickery in making me laugh at a quote that was a joke in the first place! The arrogance to proudly display words on the global stage without even the basest of factual accuracy. It quite upset my day to the point where I had to log on and waste my time with some petty superfluous comment calling someone I’ll never meet ignorant. Just in my case that person is you, Dr. Lemon, just you. Well there are other people as well but you were the worst. :)

Oh yeah that video looks p good, hopefully one of those cheap games thats good beyond the art and concept. I like those!

14. Balobam says:

On topic, I hear some flying penguins have found the worlds largest reserve of spaghetti trees, can’t remember where exactly, but it was pretty riveting stuff

15. MD says:

Man, I take back the nice things I said in the farewell post. This is a journalistic travesty of galactic — nay, UNIVERSAL — proportions. Good riddance, sir.

Comment on this story