The GTFO GTA Graphics Mod

By Alec Meer on July 4th, 2011 at 1:44 pm.

When I have my mid-life crisis, I'm going to buy a Morris Minor

Today is a bad day not to already have sixteen gigabytes of Grand Theft Auto IV already installed on your hard drive. Why? Because if, like me, you don’t you’re going to have to wait half a day to download it before you can look at the following incredi-mod yourself. Can it possibly live up to this wonderful, beautiful video? I want to know – but I’m only 5 per cent into the download. And even when it’s finished it probably won’t run anyway. Noooo!

What iCEnhancer 1.2 primarily does it add new shader effects to the game, as well as various extra lighting effects. Much of this constitutes a compliation of existent mods from other creators, so props and stuff to them too. There are a great many other GTA IV graphics upgraders out there by the way, none of which I have tried, so don’t presume this is the best of them just cos it’s posted here. I just liked the video!

Apparently it doesn’t work at all well on the later GTA IV patches, annoyingly – so if you have a way to revert yours to version 1.0.4.0 you’re going to have a better time with this. Of course, my copy’s via Steam, which always updates to the latest patch, so I’m screwed. Typical.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Gunrun says:

You really should mention that a lot of the fanciness of the graphics in this comes from the RealityIV mod which adds tons of textures and stuff. All this thing does is add some new shaders and stuff.

• Boozebeard says:

I’m gonna put this here so people are more likely to see it and I know some people wont read the read me!

“This version uses the 0.082 DLL as a base
      Which means :

Overheating of videocards NVidia GF8800, high end from GF2xx series and most from GF4xx, GF5xx”

I dunno how bad it is but you might want to monitor your temp the first time you play it if you got one of those cards.

2. djbriandamage says:

Kudos to the mod teams involved for all their effort, but does anyone else feel like this is a game that doesn’t really need a graphics overhaul? In my opinion GTA4 is the zenith of realtime-rendered computer graphics.

• godgoo says:

What?

• Phoshi says:

if those shadows are the best we should strive for then we should just stop trying now.

• johnpeat says:

He’s mixing-up zenith and nadir again…

• djbriandamage says:

I thought the shadows were awesome in GTA4. Knowing you’re driving under a bridge or past a chain-link fence just by looking at the shadows on your vehicle.. man, that’s impressive.

As for the word “zenith”, RTFD I guess. It means the highest point or pinnacle, aka tha bestest aka precisely one better than the penultimate.

• Boozebeard says:

You’re trolling right? GTA is fugly.

• CaspianRoach says:

World shadows are easy to implement and I have no problems with them, however, moving objects like cars and their wheels have god-awful shadows. Watch the video again and pay close attention to no-shadows aura around the wheels. I don’t know if this is a modeling error or engine mishap, but this is not how shadows work IRL.

• PoulWrist says:

Dunno, they were slow and coarse in my oppinion :p

• battles_atlas says:

The GTA shadows are awful – look like someone cross-hatched on the pavement with a pencil. Its overall a pretty attractive game, but “zenith”? Really? Doesn’t the fact that a bunch of fan mods hugely improving it suggest that it perhaps isn’t the zenith?

• djbriandamage says:

I dunno, GTA4′s shadows seemed just fine to me except for the lack of antialiasing, and while I’m in motion I hardly notice the jaggies anyway.

• runtheplacered says:

That still begs the question how you could think its the “Zenith” of computer graphics when there’s not even any anti-aliasing. You also seem willing to admit the shadows are terrible. Not to mention the game is how old now? Hopefully games have gotten a little better (and they have.. by a huge margin) since then.

• Hodge says:

From memory, the car/person shadows in GTA4 were god-awful cross hatched things when the game first launched, but were upgraded to something easier on the eyes in the first big patch. This possibly explains the wildly divergent opinions here.

• UncleLou says:

“You’re trolling right? GTA is fugly.”

Madness. GTA IV on max settings, with a smooth framerate, is is one of the most impressive game you can play on a PC. Lighting, quality of the animations, physics, draw distance, amount of detail on screen at once is absolutely phenomenal. The game awes me every time I boot it (which has happened a lot recently because I am playing the addons).

Rockstar is one of the few developers who understands that good graphics aren’t just about the shiny, but is concentrating on other aspects as well. the Euphoria engine used in GTA IV (and Red Dead Redemption) is, for me, the most interesting and impressive visual thing that has happened to gaming in a long, long time.

3. DeanLearner says:

GTA PHWOOOOAR!

4. Carter says:

Boards of Canada makes everything nice

• Heliosicle says:

Most certainly.

• Kadayi says:

Agreed. Dayvan Cowboy is a blinding track as well. Though the offical video still does a great job of capturing the mood of the tune: -

Also it’s high time those dudes released a new album…I’m seriously jonsing for one

• DiamondDog says:

Yeah they really should. At this point I’d take a collection of cast-offs from their other albums. Anything.

Endless House Foundation and Demdike Stare are good at scratching that itch while you wait, though.

5. El_MUERkO says:

I have the disk copy, I think I’ll save this mod till my next PC build. I quiet fancy maxing everything at 2560*1600 but I dont think my current rig could handle that.

Also, while everyone is installing the game I recommend you all try the multiplayer with a few friends in sandbox mode, while a little laggy you can have tons of fun playing cops and robbers with some friend hanging out the windows of the opposing vehicles :)

• Christian says:

Somehow I thought about floppy-discs when you mentioned disc-version (maybe because I just had a discussion about those times where everything came on 3,5” discs).
      I imagined a 5-Meter high tower of floppies, and how long it would take to install it.

Aah, nostalgia..

6. poop says:

does this work on gta4 episodes?

• Doesntmeananything says:

Yeah, I wonder about that as well. I’m yet to finish episodes, so this would be nice to try. I have no plans to return to GTA 4, however, since that game is boring, and this is simply a graphical mod (which is indeed a pack of shaders and new effects, while all the new textures in the video are from other, separate mods).

• Fredie007 says:

It might work, but if it would, it would most certainly not look like it’s supposed to look. ENB configurations are not transferable between the main game and the episodes without producing weird side effects.

7. crainey92 says:

GTAIV kills my computer as it is, coupled with this mod and I think it would be spitting flames as if I don’t have enough problems with burning in the sun here today (Belfast). Mind you this is very pretty and I’ve been meaning to re-download GTA IV for a while now, guess this is a pretty good excuse to finally do so.

8. Oneironaut says:

I can barely run GTAIV at the highest settings as it is. I have a feeling any graphical enhancement mods would make the game unplayable, unless they manage to not lower the frame rate somehow.

9. AndrewC says:

And I think gosh! we are living in the future where real time sort of photo-realistic cities (mostly down to the nice new fancy lighting) can be totally driven around like in those episodes of Tomorrow’s World where they showed ‘computers’. Its very nice!

And then I realise that, until I buy a new PC, it’s going to remain the future for me.

Still: Go go GTA4! I like you!

10. oceanclub says:

So what kind of server farm do you need to run this? Am about to upgrade but GTAIV was already only just playable on my Q6600 with a GTX 560 Ti….

P.

• Gunrun says:

The game is extremely processor heavy, your old processor was hurting you pretty bad. A modern quadcore will play the game very well.

• crainey92 says:

I gotz’d the AMD Phenom X6 3.0GHZ lulz.

11. Avenger says:

It reminds me of star trek for some reason…

12. abremms says:

hey Mr. Meer! don’t forget you can turn off automatic updates on a game by game basis in steam by right clicking the game in your library and hitting properties > updates > do not automaticaly update this game. just make sure you check it before you try to run it or let it try to install upgrades, assuming the steam version doesn’t start out at a more recent version, then you are screwed. sry.

assuming you can get it to work in the first place. good luck with that bit.

on topic, that mod looks pretty impressive. I’m not sure I want to spend the day or two it’ll take to get everything running though >.<

13. B0GiE-uk- says:

Apparently beta 1.25 is about to be launched of this mod.

14. Jake says:

This looks amazing, I’m going to reinstall…. oh apparently I don’t own GTA, strange. I would also like to know what the min specs are like and if it works with a Steam version.

15. Snargelfargen says:

Today is a good day.

• Snargelfargen says:

Well it worked (with 1 ctd) on my updated version of steam. There was a noticeable fps drop, but I currently have my i5 2500k paired with an ati 4870, so anybody with a newer generation video card will probably be fine.

The smoke and exhaust on cars look amazing, but driving at night is pretty hard on the eyes. Everything is either really dark or really bright. I might go back to this after finishing the campaign.

16. tripwired says:

Lush, will have to give this a go when I get home.

17. Edawan says:

I still have it installed (not steam), so I guess I’ll try these mods when I get home. I’d never thought of checking the mod scene for GTA…

18. johnpeat says:

Just wondering why you’d mod GTA (fake city) to put in real cars when Midnight Club (same engine – real city) has those same cars already (I assume this is where they nick the models from??)

???

• Henke says:

Are you saying that it’s pointless to include things in a mod if those things already exist in some other game somewhere?

• ScubaMonster says:

Well until Midnight Club lets you do everything GTA does, I think you have your answer as to why.

• Moke says:

I would add that the last Midnight Club on PC was number 2, way way back in 2003. Needless to say, that game did not run on the RAGE engine.

P.S. whenever I write the phrase “needless to say” I have an urge to change it to “needles to say”, but I am afraid in case nobody gets the reference. Am I the only one who suffers this torment?

• Jake says:

Or ‘needless to say, I had the last laugh’

19. Megalodactyl says:

This looks amazing, does it work for the steam version?

20. Christian says:

I’m not completely sure that Steam does the updating for GTA 4. Haven’t checked (and can’t right now because of work), but as far as I remember, updates were announced through that Social-Club-thingie and you’d have to more or less take care of updates yourself.
    Or did the Social-Club install them?

Either way..it might be worth checking your version first before deleting the whole game and re-installing..

21. CaspianRoach says:

These shadows look awful. Especially the shadows of moving wheels, which are nonexistant and create a weird sense of dissonance. Car body may be the best-awesomest looking thing ever, but these wooden wheels look like they were shot on a bluescreen and embedded into the picture without any post-rendering or lighting dependancy.
    And I don’t remember if this is GTA4 engine, but come on, nongradient shadows are so last year.

• Henke says:

I swear to God, all the hate GTA 4′s shadows get is some kind of huge conspiracy to mess with my head. I don’t know what to say guys, they look just fine to me. :|

• DrGonzo says:

It is bizarre. They obviously don’t match every game, but it is a large open world action game that is getting old now. Considering all that I think it looks excellent still.

22. metalangel says:

On the one hand it looks nice and amazing… but the problem with a lot of these mods is they add models that stick out like a sore thumb because they’re far, far more detailed than everything else in the game (the Enzo in particular).

The night lighting also looked really dark… I’d expect my headlights to be that bright on another vehicle on a country road, not a well lit city street.

23. mollemannen says:

this looks amazingly good. now if only there were something new to do i gta4 as well.

24. Screamer says:

I hate Steam…..

• DeathRow says:

They really need to put an option to not update games.

• DOLBYdigital says:

As mentioned before, right click the game and select Properties, Update tab, use pull down to select to not install updates automatically….. Done :)

Don’t hate on Steam without first checking if it can/can’t do what you hate about it….

• Screamer says:

That option is there just to mock us…. it doesn’t really work I tell you

25. Boozebeard says:

gah, if they can make it work with the latest patch versions I’ll be all over it.

26. wodin says:

Can’t et GTA IV to run decent at all…one of the worse optimised games I’ve come across..

• runtheplacered says:

It was when it first came out.. Have you actually tried since patches were released?

• Thants says:

I’ve had the same experience, even with the latest patch. I think it’s because my CPU isn’t quite good enough. I mean, it’s good enough for every other game, just not GTA IV.

27. MadMinstrel says:

I tried installing the mod and now I can’t run the game at all. Now I get to redownload the 16 GB _and_ not see the mod in action.

28. Multidirectional says:

I don’t seen any car damage being shown in this. One of the things I like in GTA 4 is quite detailed car damage. These mods might just ruin it.
    Apart from lack of AA and ugly lighting during certain times of day (fixed in Ballad Of Gay Tony) this game doesn’t really need any graphics improvements.

29. ChampionHyena says:

All of this nattering on about patches and minimum requirements daftly overshoots the real issues here.

No one’s bothered to point out that Mr. Ice La Glace’s name translates to “Ice The Ice.”

Discuss.

30. clumsyandshy says:

Oh my this looks pretty. Will try this out for sure when I have built the new desktop in a couple weeks time. Thanks!

31. Jason Moyer says:

Wow, I think that’s the first third-party renderer mod I’ve ever seen that was actually impressive. *looks for his GTA4 DVDs*

32. Zombat says:

Does this mod fix the sloppy vehicle handling and the camera that lags 5 seconds behind your movements?

33. SuperNashwanPower says:

Its quite amazing, but still has the problem known as AUP – Awesome Until People. Combine the great car and environment effects with some Battlefield 3 Mo-cap and LA Noire style face-cap (?) and at last maybe AUP will be slain, and we can all live in graphical nirvana. Some parts of this vid look like a movie, which is cool – though of couse in real life I see with my eyes, not a camera. Dont care though, still looks great :)

34. bongosabbath says:

Sorry, had to repost that.

This mod looks rather pretty when you’re not in the blinding sun. The blue sky is piercing my eyes.

35. InsidiousBoot says:

I still play GTATBOGT weekly, I truly wish that they’ve made improvements in optimizing the engine for the PC with their next GTA which is surely in development. GTA runs smooth on my system however Very High shadows is to be avoided, selecting that setting eats up FPS.. also at nights the fps goes to 37ish. Which is playable but notable none the less.
    Next gpu will need to have 1.25 gigs of memory or more for me, I also need to upgrade to 8gigs of system memory purely for this game series.. sigh. Well I enjoy it but its a bit over the top. ( and I’m fucked as in my PC ram slots are faulty, I can only run single channel DDR3 and only in the last 2 slots.. so that means 2x4gb for me AAAARGH. I’m lucky duel channel isn’t that much faster then single channel, and my memory is quite fast.
    My system scores P4491 in 3DMARK11 ( I5 750 @ 4ghz + 460GTX1gb @ 911mhz )

Oh and I highly recommend the improved car handling mod or whatever its called, makes driving that much more fun.

36. Ashrik says:

The cars look great so maybe it’s time to mod the ridiculous driving in that game.

Can this $150k sports car take this turn at 40 mph without skidding? I don’t knooooow

37. geokes says:

…Um you should give credit to the guy who made enb series: enbdev.com
    as this is just a config for it.

38. Navagon says:

It looks absolutely stunning. I won’t be trying it though as my card is on the list of ones it could possibly melt, and I don’t want that.

39. Bobic says:

Blimey! Look at it at night-time!