Second Symphony: Portal 2 Soundtrack 2

By Alec Meer on July 4th, 2011 at 10:14 am.

Look, I've only had three hours sleep. I'm not going to write you a funny caption this time. Sorry.

First there was one free official soundtrack collection for Portal 2, and now there are two. That’s eighteen more tracks of exciting bleeping, on top of the 22 we’ve already had. There’s a third one yet to come – but will it include The National’s ode to abject misery and Jonathon Coulton’s latest Portal creation? We will probably find out at some point in the near future: that is my official statement on the matter. Yes, you may quote me on it.

Meantime, get over here to grab Music To Test By Volume 2, or just have a peer at the reliably entertaining list of track titles below. SPOILER ALERT: one of the titles is on the spoiley side if you’ve not played the game.

You Will Be Perfect
Vitrification Order
Music of the Spheres
You Are Not Part of the Control Group
Forwarding the Cause of Science
PotatOS Lament
The Reunion
Music of the Spheres 2 (Incendiary Lemons)

It’s pretty clear how much of the game that lot’s covering, huh? And they sure have gotten a lot of soundtracks out of a game that clever, fair-minded men on the internet have accurately claimed only lasts 48 seconds.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Aemony says:

What title is on the spoiley side? The Reunion? PotatOS Lament?
    Anyway, I’m looking forward to the Turret Opera, which will hopefully come in an equally longer fashion.

• FKD says:

YES! I am so glad I am not the only one who absolutely loved that.. I watch it over and over on Youtube. I am guessing the singing is by the GLaDOS actor..I read somewhere that she is a trained opera singer as well. Quite impressive!

• Gnoupi says:

There is a nice a cappella version of the turret opera : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFCKhUgIziU

Though I just love the original, in the context, when it happens in the game, it’s just perfect.

2. Monchberter says:

The way these are being released fits very nicely with the 3 act structure of Portal 2.

I’ll say no more, but I prefer the first selection, although the second act is by far my favourite part of the game.

In other matters. THIS is how you keep your fans loyal. High quality free stuff!

In the last week Valve have released the following.

Portal 2 – Free music
    TF2 – yet more updates / free-to-play
    Left 4 Dead 2 – Yet another mutation!
    Steam – ridiculous sale / summer camp challenges.

Prolific somewhat?

(Please don’t mention Episode 3 – i just said it!)

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Please don’t mention Episode 3 – i just said it!

Okay.

VAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHLVE, WHERE’S MY HALF LIFE 3?

3. Howling Techie says:

You can buy Exile Vilify for a very fair price online. Bought it as soon as it came out a few weeks ago.
    Also, is the steam community playing silly buggers for anyone at this moment in time?

4. Eagle0600 says:

None of those titles are spoilers unless you know which one to look for. They all just look like nonsense: You’d actually have less chance of spoiling anything if you didn’t give the warning.

5. Firkragg says:

The one titled Music of the Spheres caught my eye, coincidently just finished the Endyrmion Omnibus, nice one

6. Pemptus says:

Portal 2 had this much music? Who knew!

7. McDan says:

Awesome, the first load of music they released was really good and I imagien this will be too! For goodness sakes man get some sleep!

8. Avenger says:

NOOOOOOOOO!

They will NEVER release the 3rd soundtrack!

9. Alegis says:

Love the OST. All bleeps and bloops on my phone are now Aperture Science approved.

Opera and the escape from [the part where [x] you know what, this is that part] hopefully in Vol3.

10. Kilrathi says:

The smooth jazz song is missing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPxVMpeVRGI

• Burning Man says:

That track talks to me of dripping honey, warm sunshine and gently flapping curtains in the summer breeze.

In short, it’s pretty damn awesome.

11. Burning Man says:

I AM NOT A MORON EITHER THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE

12. faelnor says:

Those Portal 2 soundtracks are fantastic. Too few people have written about the game’s semi-generative approach in soundscapes, for me that was probably the second greatest thing along with the ending. More of that in games please! High hopes for Thief 4.

Oh and the standalone soundtracks are wonderfully mixed. Life is great!

• passingstranger says:

I can only recall two or three puzzles where the idea of creating the soundtrack by solving the puzzle was really showcased, but man, it was great when it happened.

13. noclip says:

Free To Listen™ (note: you will be charged $0.04 every time you change your computer’s volume)

14. DBG says:

Is it just me or is track#13 (Portal2-OST-Volume-2\Portal2-13-Music_Of_The_Spheres.mp3) corrupt in the zip archive? (checksum fail)