The Beginning Of: The End

By John Walker on July 5th, 2011 at 8:08 pm.

I always knew shadows had more purpose than just shade.

Preloaded‘s next game for Channel 4, The End, has a trailer out and about. For how long? No one knows. But have we posted it yet? No we haven’t. And we’re sure gonna, because it’s utterly mystifying. Much like its subject: death.

As with all the games C4 commission, it has a theme that resonates in players’ lives. Or in this case, their lack of them. The End asks many questions about death, what it is, why it happens, and how should we respond to it. (I find “oh bother” to be a useful resource.) And according to the trailer below, it does this by a combination of an intriguing platforming mechanic where you can manipulate a level’s shadows, alongside a two-player number-based board game. Because, well, those two go hand in hand. Take a look.

Preloaded have previously offered us the entertaining Bullfrogish minigame, zOMT, breeding sim Thingdom, Trafalgar Origins and 1066. We should find out exactly what’s going on in The End this Summer.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. razgon says:

Aand, gone!

edit: not gone, just not allowed to embed it seems

2. eldwl says:

Odd the embedding didn’t work. A quick bit of googling got me this link to the (hopefully) same video: http://vimeo.com/25420254

edit: dammit, beaten!

3. Raziel_aXd says:

“Collect 19 death objects”
    Will I be able to buy some more life with them when my time comes?

4. Gadriel says:

That trailer seems to show five different games that don’t seem to have much to do with each other.

I’m confused.

• Inverse Square says:

They don’t seem to have much to do with “asking big questions” either. Sorry to be cynical but I see no reason to believe that this is going to be an especially interesting game.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Maybe the “asking big questions” thing is meant as a joke.

Maybe.

5. Tei says:

I like this 5 games.

6. GallonOfAlan says:

Anyone else getting tired of platformers with quirkier-than-thou names which claim to address big themes like death and otherwise try to disguise the fact they’re just platformers with nice graphics ?

• Wilson says:

Not really, it’s a style I like. And if a game doesn’t succeed at addressing whatever big theme it was aiming at, if it’s still a decent platformer I don’t mind terribly much. I’d rather have some games trying and failing to address big themes than not trying at all. Even if it’s just one moment in the whole game where I think ‘hmm, interesting point’ or ‘well, that’s poignant’ it’s nice.

Comment on this story