The Secret World Has A Savage Coast

By John Walker on July 6th, 2011 at 1:32 pm.

Okay, most other things in this game don't look like WoW.

The first part of our enormous interview with Funcom’s Ragnar Tørnquist is appearing any minute, but just ahead of that there’s some new footage of The Secret World to see. And importantly, this is all in-game, rather than one of the (very impressive) CGI trailers. See it below.

This is all set in one of the game’s areas, the Maine town of Kingsmouth.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Freud says:

Cthulu-inspired amusement park ride at 0:50? I approve.

2. Jumwa says:

Much of this place is so deliciously Lovecraft inspired, it makes me want to get very excited for this game. Is that a cheap tool or am I the cheap tool for loving it?

3. Ovno says:

That looks pretty good, though the guy with the chain saw really needs to do more to you than just make you wobble a little, even if its just push back or something…

• Hoaxfish says:

yea, the animations and humanoid models all look a little stiff

4. KauhuK says:

Horror themed MMO? It’s not going to work but the game might still be good. I like all weird stuff.

5. Hoaxfish says:

Is that supposed to be some sort of demented seamonster tea-cup ride at 0:48? Okay, it’s an abandoned fair-ground now… but why would you make such a weird looking thing in the 1st place?

• mjig says:

Well, if it’s Lovecraft themed, maybe the owners of the fairground had a reverence for whatever evils the trailer says are in the sea?

• Shadram says:

Have you never seen Nemesis at Alton Towers? Half weird tentacle monster, half industrial torture machine, half rollercoaster, all awesomeness.

6. Quilty says:

The overall theme has a lot of appeal to me, but those graphics look like something, say, pre-L4D1. Maybe the CGI trailers have spoiled me, but the models look on par with those from the first Guild Wars, if not slightly worse that that.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

Well, that settles it, I guess. The graphics aren’t cutting-edge, state-of-the-art. Therefore, Funcom should just throw in the towel now and be done with it, since there’s really no point to continue at all.

• Opellulo says:

I don’t know which graphic engine will fuel The Secret World, but if it’s Conan’s it would be just fine: it’s still one of the most gorgeous in the MMO scene.

This game looks like a fine blending of Lovecraft and Silent Hill: something i really want to play!

Silly P.S. Since the game will be PG-something can we have boobs like in Conan?

7. MrMud says:

Looks cool, shame its an mmo

Diziet Sma says:

Looks cool, thank god it’s an MMO… genre needs some new blood.

• LuNatic says:

I have to agree with MrMud. This kind of atmosphere is wasted in an MMO.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

For someone who usually hates and avoids all things MMO, I have to say that I disagree that it’s a bad thing that this is a MMO. If anything, this is the first MMO game that I have ever had even the slightest interest in playing.

• Wozzle says:

Woa! Look at all this unimaginable horror! Everything is so creepy and wonderful!

[1]General: Giantsmellyweiner: n e 1 need the boss quest??!!!!!!!!!!
      [1]General: Legolawlz: whats under chuck norrises bears? another fist lol
      [1]General: Pedobare: where is mankrik wife!?!?!?! plz help lookd for hours

8. Hides-His-Eyes says:

Kingsmouth? More like Innsmouth!

Much better than Hackdirt, anyway.

9. Jake says:

Really promising. I especially liked the voice over – it’ll be the writing that makes or breaks the game for me and that was quality. The combat still looks a bit off, but it does look good with everyone wearing sensible clothes – you can wear a nice suit! I just hope you don’t get ridiculous power armour when you level up.

• Snargelfargen says:

Apparently you can wear whatever clothes you want throughout the whole game, as they have no bearing on your stats. I can’t wait to create a bathrobed Arthur Dent!

On the downside, this makes sizing up opponents for pvp a tricky matter.

• Hoaxfish says:

PvP should not be about second-guessing your opponent’s stats before you start the fight, it should be about how you handle the actual fighting.

Lots of MMORPGs fall into the problem where just from looking at someone, you can guess their level or their skill-set, and then if it’s lower than your level or weak against your specific skills (in those rock-paper-scissor PvP games), you know you will immediately be at an advantage as soon as you attack them. If they look like they will have the upper-hand, then you simply don’t attack… it completely skews the whole concept of PvP being equal players fighting at an even level, and ends up with the strong bullying those weaker, who in turn bully those weaker than them. PvP in turn becomes more about the quantity of easy fights you’ve had against weak opponents, rather than the quality of the fights (where you might actually be using tactics or whatever).

10. MartinNr5 says:

Really looking forward to this. Please Funcom, don’t screw it up.

11. skyturnedred says:

Is there any info on how the shooting mechanics work? I’m curious if you can actually aim and shoot where you want, or is it more like press tab to lock on enemy and start pressing 1 and 2 for Burst Fire and Aimed Shot respectively.

• Snargelfargen says:

Funcom has confirmed that the game uses WoW-style tab targetting. Supposedly there will be abilities you can combine with those of others (think one person uses an ice attack and another a fire attack to follow up), but that hasn’t been shown in any trailers yet.

12. Uglycat says:

Pitch black woods? I think not!

13. Someguy says:

Prepare to enter the scary door.

14. tims says:

Must everything he say be read from a list, a series of bullet points, a gaggle despairing statements?

15. Jibb Smart says:

It still looks really bad. It’s gorgeous (from a distance — just don’t look at a player character’s blank face), mostly thanks to the cool enemies. But what do they actually mean to the gameplay? The chainsaw doesn’t make that enemy any more or less dangerous; just same stats. Players stand there and hammer out their attacks until they’re done, because apparently a flail the size of your character is no different to the swipe of an inside-out spider person.

Not my scene.

• spindaden says:

Yeah, while all the talk i hear about the story and conspiracies and integration with the real world making this half mmo half arg is all getting me interested again, everytime I see footage from the game, especially combat, i get turned right back off.
      All the talk is just all talk if it still looks and plays like wow in the end.

If you want to kneep me interested in this game, stop showing me ingame combat, give me a video walkthrough of one of these quests that involves google or something if you must, but keep attantion away from the ingame footage.

16. gwathdring says:

Huh. I love the enemy designs and the concept. But I’m still not sold on the MMO aspects. I need more details about how it subverts genre tropes to maintain more than passing interest. Because I really really don’t like the genre tropes. More importantly, I don’t do monthly subscriptions so even if I do end up being sold on this game I’ll have to pass it up.

Unless they, in a very unlikely move, follow the GW price point.

17. feighnt says:

pimp spotted at 1:21 – what a glorious pink longcoat.

18. DOLBYdigital says:

Looks pretty rough to me, animations especially looked stiff and just bad. The atmosphere looks good but that’s about all I can say that got my attention. Everything else is scaring me away

19. Davie says:

The weird twisting tendrils of smoke/cloud in the distance are deliciously creepy. The atmosphere looks great, and I’m excited.

However, the combat looks like the same wooden, unimpressive MMO combat that’s been around since 2002. If they’re not going to invest in a proper combat engine, I would hope they’d at least try for top-notch animation…

Still, that’s certainly not enough to kill my interest. This should be good.

20. Ayam says:

They kept the fighting cuts very short, perhaps because combat will look much the same as most other MMO combat: Action move – 2 seconds later another action move – 2 seconds later etc It’s that tailored timing of MMO actions that makes combat seem so drab.