Civilizing Facebook: CivWorld Is Live

By Jim Rossignol on July 7th, 2011 at 12:48 pm.

The Firaxis team are taking a few pages from Sid Meier’s great gaming history and placing then in the Facebook. The “social” – or maybe “casual”, I don’t really know – version of Civ, named CivWorld, went into an opne beta today, and it actually looks pretty good. I am basing that on having kicked off a game myself after watching the video which I’ve embedded below. If there’s a problem I can report on up front, well, it keeps timing out, and is maddeningly laggy. Still, it is just a beta, and one that is too popular for its own good, I suppose. Anyway, I am sure we’ll be hearing more about this soon.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. poop says:

play now, my lord

2. Dawngreeter says:

I express my discomfort and resentment for this bastardization of a beloved franchise, conveniently avoiding to note that I will probably play it at some point.

3. Mirqy says:

Reactionary comment about how all facebook games are rubbish – so now you don’t have to.

4. Mark says:

I played some of this during the closed beta. First thing you should know: it shares the Civ name but is completely different in gameplay, even from Civ Rev, and much closer to a Zynga game like Axis and Allies.

5. Branthog says:

Such awesome talent making flash games on a social network. Kind of sad. It’s like Spielberg wasting all of his resources producing a film in mono audio and 320×200 resolution. I guess the only positive part of this is that at least some of those idiots spamming each other on social networks with “come join my mafia/farm/whatever” bullshit will finally be exposed to something that is almost somewhat sort of like a real (microtransaction) game.

• LionsPhil says:

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if, after spending two decades iterating on the same design, Sid enjoyed actually having the goalposts and constraints to work within moved a bit.

6. KGB says:

To me this seems to be almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Civilization. Actually looks a lot more like Settlers.

7. RF says:

You mistyped them and open. :p

8. cpy says:

CivWorld if F F F FAIL AIL Ail ail ail…
    Just try any wars, combat mechanics is just pure nonsence.

9. taytaytaytayacceptable says:

*Braces for horrible Alpha Centauri remake where you buy mindworm samples for 28p each and can only end your turn if you sign up seven friends.* :(

10. Hoaxfish says:

Okay, maybe I’d enjoy Facebook games more IF I was willing to invite my friends to join in with this sort of rubbish. However, I don’t really like bothering people with this sort of stuff, especially when it makes me feel like an advertiser’s shill.

• jon_hill987 says:

Agreed. As someone often on the receiving end I am glad to hear you say that. I have lost count of the number of times I have blocked applications because I am fed up with people gifting me sheep of whatever.

• jonfitt says:

Do you have to invite people or engage your Facebook friends in anyway to play this game?

• itsallcrap says:

Nope, though you can if you want to.

Once you’ve got your city (you only really control the one) up and running in the most minor way possible, you can then just pick a civ to join.

I dunno if this is just because it’s still Beta, but there was no forced balancing of numbers. We had one civ with over a hundred players and then the other five just had a handful each.

Not really sure there’d be any point playing to the end of that one…

11. Super Bladesman says:

I’m not too impressed so far, but then I’ve barely been able to get on…

12. Tei says:

I have “played” this for a few weeks, and I still have no idea where is the game in this.
    Other than the puzzles. Playing a puzzle game in real time, against other people, is kind of fun. I like the puzzles.
    In a scale of 0 to 10. This game gets a 0. But considering the puzzle part, I raise this to 6.

13. Lobotomist says:

To manage anything in the game you will need to pay money. That how it works. And we seen it many times allready

• bglamb says:

Interestingly, they’ve put a cap of around 50p a day on spending. So it will even out to just another standard subscription cost that you pay for as you use it.

14. bglamb says:

Oooh, I really am having fun. Feels good.

Abandoning Japan to flee to Rome, to be the littlest fish in the biggest pond.

Pushing food production just so I can flog it for inflated prices on the market, to buy two great generals. Then striving for a culture medal to become the culture minister so I can add both generals to the “revolution!” wonder.

Then flipping the entire ranking to become King of Rome!

FUCK YEAH! — This is what Civ always was to me. Great stories.

15. N says:

Uh, I can’t join a nation lol. Is it broken or wtf?

16. Handsome Dead says:

i got bored after 5 minutes

it’s no bejeweled that’s for sure

17. JonClaw says:

What a buggy POS. It has potential though…

18. Lagwolf says:

Its boring, buggy and the worst of both the Civ & FB game worlds. It has promise but the fact its in Open Beta does not bode well for it improving.

19. bookwormat says:

Great that this is finally released. I’m looking forward to try this out.

20. itsallcrap says:

Heyyyyyyyyyyy I finally got on.

Yeah, ‘salright.

TBH though I’d far rather they had just got CIV2 running in Flash and spent all that development time working out how to deal with the turns system in an online, persistent environment.

21. Lazaruso says:

Now they can get on with making Alpha Centauri 2, right?
    Right?

*weeps*

22. Ciber says:

This even less Civ than Civ V. Clearly not for the likes of me.

23. zaphod2003 says:

I played this pile of pants for about a week. It’s garbage, nothing like the CIV games. You spend most of the game watching your workers running around and making stupid comments (which you cant switch off) and ocassionally get to (wait for it), click on an icon on the screen. The laughable sub games are a complete waste of time.

Thats if and when you can ever get the game to load. OOh they say, upgrade Flash, Browser etc, I have news for you guys. EVERYTHING else works.

What I really HATE is the fact that to get anywhere you have to spend money [real money] to get advancements unless you want to wait 300,000 years for anything to happen, since the game only appears to progress when you are on line. If I go off line and return 10 hours later the game is as I left it. Doh!

Whoever created this ditribe should be forced to play it. Constantly. I for one will never play this pile of poo again. In fact most if note all of the games on Facebook are rank. All they want is to screw as much money out of you as possible, constantly require you to spam your friends and spend hours and hours watching pointless screens.

If anyone suggests a Zynga or Facebook game to me again I will insert a housebrick in them.

Comment on this story