Epic Loot: Torchlight Sells A Million

By John Walker on July 7th, 2011 at 11:24 am.

Runic couldn't be reached on their private yachts.

A million is a big number. For instance, if you put a million hairbrushes in a pile end to end it would reach Pluto. That’s not true, but it serves as a useful illustration for a million being a big number. Still not got it? Well, imagine a tennis ball. Now imagine a million of them. See, that’s a lot of tennis balls! Also, Torchlight has sold a million copies.

The action RPG tipped over the barrier thanks to a Steam sale this week, meaning that across PC, Mac and something called the “Xbox”, it joins the millionaires club. The game’s been on sale for shy of two years, with attention coming its way again of late thanks to the 360 release, and the impending nature of the multiplayer sequel. Travis Baldree, Runic’s president, excitedly gabbled,

“We’re very excited to share Torchlight’s success with our fans and supporters. It’s been a great ride so far and we can’t wait to give everyone more of what they want in Torchlight II. It isn’t every day you sell a million games. We’re grateful to be here.”

Well, that’s true unless you’re Mojang of course. A day when they don’t sell a million copies of Minecraft is considered a failure.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hakkesshu says:

Wonder how close that is to Diablo 1 sales.

• nofing says:

According to wikipedia, Diablo 1 has sold 2.5 million copies and Diablo 2 has sold 4 million copies. So, if you consider the time span those games have been around, I would say 1 million copies sold for Torchlight is pretty decent.

• Shuck says:

Diablo 1 and 2 continue to be steady sellers and those sales numbers are pretty old, so I’d hazard a guess that they’ve sold a lot more copies than 2.5/4 million by now. Also remember they were full-priced games, unlike Torchlight, and in fact they continue to sell at a higher price than Torchlight even after 15/11 years.

• nofing says:

I don’t think Diablo 1 is a still a steady seller and the price for it is just so high, because it’s not officially sold anymore, which makes it rare and thus you’ve got a high price.
      Diablo 2 on the other hand is £4.99 at Amazon at the moment and Torchlight is £9.99. You can’t really compare those Steam sale prices with anything else.
      In the end, it’s hard to compare stuff like this, since Blizzard doesn’t drop their prices like all other developers/publishers and honestly I’m glad they don’t, because this makes Blizzard games the only games I gladly buy on release for full price, knowing, that the price won’t drop 50% within a week.

2. Ian says:

Pluto will always be a planet to me. :(

• Mirqy says:

It’s a glorified space rock. Why, the number of Plutos that would fit into one Jupiter is…one million.

• Dawngreeter says:

Pluto never should’ve been a planet to begin with. Git outta mah Intarwebz you bleeding heart commie.

• Ian says:

STOP RUINING IT.

• Fede says:

Pluto is sad and only wants to be loved! He’s been chasing Charon just to hug him since forever, but he’s always running away :(

• Fierce says:

I agree with you Ian!

When I was a little snot nosed kid and not busy pulling Melanie’s pigtails (dear sweet Melanie…), I remember staring at the huge end to end distance diagram of our solar system’s planets on my Grade 4 science room wall and memorizing their names. And Pluto was on it.

So to hell with all the haters….. and NASA. Our childhoods are incorruptible!

Oh, and good for Torchlight.

• Nesetalis says:

Screw that I want to have Neil deGrasse Tyson’s babies, pluto can be not a planet any time it wants ^.~

3. Njordsk says:

Was a good solid game, but got quickly repetitive, which isn’t a good point for an HnS.

I’ll happily play the second though.

• Witrim says:

Seemed to have next to no story which is what HnS is all about so yeah… It had good fighting and awesome pets that could sell your loot but it was probably the first game I didn’t care/know the story in.

• Eversor says:

Wait wait wait, hold the phone, slow down a bit, take a deep breath.

You are supposed to care for story in an ARPG? WHAT IS THIS HERESY?

You kill dudes, you get XP and loot, you level up, you progress to bigger dudes. Good music a must, good graphical design slightly more optional. Story? Ah yes, I suppose there’s the requirement to somehow justify the massive genocide you commit in order to gain material wealth, right? Maybe? No?

Torclight had all the elements (bar multiplayer) that an ARPG needed.

• Wulf says:

The naming of things in Torchlight wasn’t so creative, either. The boss ‘Ordrak’ had me humming the theme of Dreamstone more than once, almost every time it was mentioned in fact, since it was one letter away from the big-but-perhaps-not-so-evil-at-all of that show. And they were both dragon-like things.

Now the Dreamstone humming is going to infect anyone else who saw that show, since Ordak is mentioned a bucketload of times in Torchlight.

• ankh says:

To me the only requirements for this sort of game is loot. Epic loot. I love loot. Now the word loot looks strange…

• lowprices says:

And here I thought all ARPGs had the same story: “Once, there was a young man with a dream. His dream? To become the worlds richest murderer. And so, he stabbed everyone he saw, and picked up their stuff, until he could carry no more. Then he went back to town and sold all the stuff. Then he went back to stabbing, and when his curiously large pockets were full, he sold it again. And then he kept doing this until the players eyes bled.

And they all lived happily ever after. Except for the player, who developed RSI.

The End”

• ankh says:

cool story bro

4. Inigo says:

Meanwhile, Blizzard’s CEOs laugh heartily at this news during their daily session of bludgeoning freshly imported slave girls to death with bars of pure platinum.

5. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Those hairbrushes wouldn’t even reach the moon, man.

• Dezzamon says:

He didn’t specify the scale of the hairbrushes though.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Unless they were really big hairbrushes obv.

Edit: I didn’t even see that comment before I posted!

Also funny how that useless hairbrush is supposed to be eco-friendly, when you could make dozens out of the same material.

And donate them to India, where they would brush the hair that will be used to make wigs for cancer patients.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

John accidentally swallowed a whole package of Miracle-Gro last week and now his hair is growing at such a rate that only hairbrushes ~5,913.52 km tall will tame his wild locks, a million of such brushes stacked end to end would indeed reach Pluto. I must bow before John’s uncanny mathematical ability, and his bounteous coiffure.

• Gap Gen says:

If you stacked a million hairbrushes vertically, they would fall over and make a big mess.

6. Jumwa says:

Great for such a lovely little game that came out of nowhere. Quite happy for their success! And I can only imagine it’ll do better with the sequel, seeing as the only real deficiency this game had is the new big addition with this one.

7. magnus says:

Nice game, but I finally sold the Sword Of Adam, I can only hear ‘So 3D!’ a short time until I can’t stand it any more!

8. BreadBitten says:

Well deserved…!

9. AbyssUK says:

Stacking anything from the earth vertically and expecting to be able to reach Pluto is foolish, due to the earth rotation it would likely end up with the stacking having to pass through the sun and if Star Trek has taught us anything it is that passing through the sun will cause you to be transported to 1983 to save a whale.
    Now half a million very large hairbushes stuck in the 1980′s would cause a massive paradox as the 80′s is know for everybody having the worst haircuts ever known… how would this happen with such a large amount of giant hair styling tools available.. seriously RPS you should research more heavily.

10. oceanclub says:

I must admit I’m surprised it’s only a million; the game seemed ubiquitous not so long ago and has been on sale multiple times. Enjoyed it myself but much preferred Titan Quest

P.

• Stompywitch says:

Yeah, I’d have expected this to already be over the million.

Still! That’s a large amount of sales, whichever way you slice it, and it’s obviously been profitable enough as it would have been (Relatively) cheap to develop, so congratulations and I’m looking forward to the sequel.

• Shuck says:

I’m surprised it’s only a million sales at this point, too, but it explains why they haven’t started work on the MMO version. A million sales of a half-priced game isn’t enough to fund an MMO.

11. I LIKE FOOD says:

I would buy it too if it wasnt for that awful WoW graphics.

12. karry says:

So the bad games have good sales, huh ? We get the message, not like its the first time.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Torchlight wasn’t a bad game. It was just stretched alittle thin if you didn’t like loot and starkly apparent repetition. As mentioned above in the comments, the story didn’t really amount to much. When I played it, I felt like Torchlight was an excellently function framework of a decent dungeon looter game that just needed someone with modding tools to create all the content for it, such as having more than one town (so a sense of progression) or a decent hierachy of loot items rather than the hodge podge that was available.

So after disagreeing with you, I agree with you. I can’t get this ‘opinion’ stuff right.

13. Urthman says:

Also, it’s now on sale here in the colonies in little jewel boxes for $10 in all sorts of big-box stores like Office Despot and Target and Best Buy, so they’ll probably sell a bunch more.

14. D3xter says:

Good for em, and good for me because I’ll get Torchlight 2 and skip Diablo 3 altogether not willing to buy any Activision games and all that…

15. bookwormat says:

How about announcing the average price per license together with the number of licenses sold?

16. Edgar the Peaceful says:

You’ve got yer Quinnses (Quinnsi), you’ve got yer Gillenses.

But John is the best.

17. MythArcana says:

Runic got my vote on day one with a 6am purchase at release time. I’ll be doing that again soon way before breaking my neck for Blizzard. Sorry, but the taste of fried Kotlick doesn’t appeal to me.

Comment on this story