Lucky: Seven Minutes Of Call Of Juarez

By Jim Rossignol on July 7th, 2011 at 2:06 pm.

It's a modern Western. Do you see?
Seven minutes of Call Of Juarez: The Cartel! That’s enough time to see a dodgy club scene, witness a vehicular combat chase scene, glimpse a running about in a ghost-town shooting goons scene, and also probably some other stuff. There is a lot of looking through iron-sights, some use of cover, men getting shot, dual-wielding of machine-pistols, cars exploding, and a number of other things you might be pleased to see in a game about gang warfare and drug-cartels in the modern world. Phew.

Ubisoft’s co-op criminal-shooter is set for release on July 22nd.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Alexander Norris says:

“OBJECTIVE: FIND JESUS.”

A worthy goal indeed.

2. ShadyGuy says:

I’m unimpressed. They should’ve stuck to the old west setting of the first two games. :-/

• LionsPhil says:

Every single line of dialogue in this is unlikable. Ugh.

• Wilson says:

Yes, they should indeed have stuck with the Wild West. We need more Wild West games.

• LionsPhil says:

I need to dig out that copy of Desperados.

• Donjonson says:

There aren’t that many games set in the Wild West? RDD on the 360 was the last big one that I remember anyways.. I suppose the themes are pretty all encompassing though. All westerns, spaghetti or otherwise, have been ruined for me though, Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian took all the fun out of them :) That world was surely a world of misery and brutality.

3. LarsBR says:

“Blast the lock and get in!” (several seconds after the lock was blasted).

• Bilbo says:

The ONLY LOCK ANYWHERE EVER.

Only joking, but yeah, who’s to say there isn’t another lock on that building they’re fighting their way towards?

4. SpinalJack says:

I like how they left in the bit with the guy saying blast the lock when he had already done it. A sign of quality right there.

5. simonh says:

360p and mono audio? :(

6. Psico_Payaso says:

^This.
    Doesn’t look that great IMO.

7. LionsPhil says:

360p video, whose description is “SUBSCRIBE AND WIN”?

Surely if this is an official Ubisoft video, it’s available via a better source.

8. Freud says:

I played perhaps five missions of CoJ: Bound in Blood before uninstalling. Since I am a completionist, it is very unusual for me. But I just couldn’t take it anymore. It was so monotonous.

Hoping the developers do better with this one.

• Psico_Payaso says:

Agreed. It just felt like you did things over and over and over again.. Until, like you also said, I unistalled it and never ever played it again.

• Wilson says:

That’s interesting. I really like both Call of Juarez games. I think the original might have been a little more varied than the second in some ways, but I certainly didn’t get bored with Bound in Blood. Sure, it was shooting men a lot, but it was shooting men in a pretty Wild West setting which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• LionsPhil says:

I lost steam in 2. I think partly the overdone DoF rubbish was giving me headaches. I made some notes somewhere, in fact, because the first game was good enough that I got on my Internet soapbox to extoll its virtues, and I was expecting to maybe to do the same for the second when I finished it. Uh, here:

+No Billy Candle
      -Wee-um instead
      +But he’s less annoying

+Cover system better than most
      -But it still makes you move outside of your control, fouling your aim
      +At least leaning around corners is usually wanted

+Even prettier, and still has Visible Legs Technology
      -HDR sort of works for blinding desert sun, but DoF is completely overcooked
      -Getting shot makes everything so blurry that getting shot AGAIN is likely
      -Something weirdly disorienting about turning that I can’t quite place

+AI brother banter is surprisingly unannoying
      -Naggery and tendancy to die when out of range ruins level exporation
      -And it’s still got a secret area system

-Horses no longer have stamina
      -Truly idiotic scripted level where they’re used to ram down glass/wood walls as if they were cars
      -Truly inexcusable after CoJ1 got horses so right

• Eight Rooks says:

Since you can’t reply to a reply, I’ve no idea if this will go in the right place, but…

“-Horse travel and aim direction no longer separate, so you can’t swing around to fire at people while riding in a straight line without making your horse strafe
      -Truly inexcusable after CoJ1 got horses so right

Oh, God, stop, my sides. Ahahahahaha. Oh, Jesus.

Oh, wait, you’re not kidding?

No, in all seriousness, Call of Juarez had one of the worst, most comically awful implementations of horse-riding ever realised in a videogame, so… yeah. Appalling. Like a balloon roped to the saddle, with only the slightest feeling of connection to your mount, and no sense of weight or presence to the horse at all. Obviously a skilled rider would be able to turn and shoot from horseback, I’m not arguing that, but the way Techland did it was laughable. Oh, and Billy Candle’s missions were largely terrible, most of them utterly linear with painfully obvious ‘NOW PRESS THE USE KEY HERE’ prompts every few yards.

In theory I have no quarrel with The Cartel going modern-day – in theory – but nothing I’ve seen about this makes me think it’ll be any good at all, and I’m disappointed by the way several websites reacted to the news people were upset about the premise. Childishly reductive ‘We’ve got a thing called free speech in America, you know!’ knee-jerking.

• LionsPhil says:

You must live in a world where Call of Juarez 2, Oblivion, and every game that’s treated a horse as a reskinned motorcycle don’t exist. Perhaps you’ve never ridden one.

And if you didn’t like the Candle mission where you have to scale a mountain, you are a bad person who does not deserve nice things.

9. Rii says:

I’ve always wanted to be a criminal.

10. tsmike says:

There are free mods out there that have more polish than this.

But then again, I suppose it’s quite good for Ubisoft standards.

11. Odiee says:

Time until gamepad FPS controller spotted: 0.4 seconds.

• LionsPhil says:

The game is done no favours by having a completely inept player showing it off.

• Dhatz says:

you know what we need? control over feet by tapping direction key so that its realistic while not demanding analogues for control.

• Wisq says:

Oh god yes, that player was complete rubbish. Way to ignore every single directional damage thing ever. I swear, they must’ve been in god mode for how much they got shot without dying.

I couldn’t tell how much of the awful blurring was due to damage and how much was due to horrible video quality. Especially when posting to YouTube, where you can post a high-res multi-GB video and it’ll automatically create the “help I’m stuck in the nineties” versions for your 56k modem viewers.

12. jack4cc says:

Damn, this call of juarez was good… before there was a second one and some bum stole the name for a third one.

13. Protagoras says:

idk why, but for some reason I had remembered this as a possibly good game… maybe it had a good CGI trailer…

Anywho, this is fucking crap. Horrible dialog, shitty (and old) gameplay, etc. Just disappointing.

We need more Funcoms/Arrowheads/etc in the industry.

14. CaspianRoach says:

FPS on a console, with character animations lacking any inertia or running acceleration looks very cheap and bad.
    And BLOODY SCREEN. SO REAL.

I’ll play it anyway but come on developers, learn from Ubisoft (AssCreed) to do awesome character movement animation!

OH IT IS UBISOFT’S GAME. I HAVE NO WORDS.

15. Wulf says:

Immediate thoughts: “It’s San Andreas with high-resolution and cowboy mods! Oh… wait…”

That’s what I took away from that first screenshot, there.

16. Raziel_aXd says:

HOLY SHIT, IT’S GENERIC SHOOTER (TM) 52! You will need to answer the duty calling to get the “meddling” honor while trekking across the field of battle towards the homefront…
    Where are you, Half-Life 3?…

17. McBain says:

MENDOOOOOOZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

18. RightOnTime says:

Absolute garbage.

The COJ games were good midnless games, the setting was fun and there was a bit of a pastichey vibe to the whole thing. This looks boring, uninspired and utterly joyless.

This ‘sequel unrelated to the original game in all but name’ thing is getting really tiresome. Yes i’m looking at you, Furious Four

• Donjonson says:

I read you COJ as Call of Juty. I don’t know what this means.

19. Lewie Procter says:

For what it’s worth, if you are interested, it looks like it’s only going to cost £15:

20. Timmeister says:

Wait a minute… You play as Duke?

21. Ian says:

Holy crap, I’ve just noticed in the picture there is something seriously wrong with the nearest dude’s left arm.

22. Tei says:

This look like derivative a million other derivative games. All I can say is Modern Warfare Clone of Duty of Heroes. And fall sleep, or possibly, dead.

23. Alexander Norris says:

I’m struggling to understand why they’d ditch the cover system from Bound in Blood, incidentally.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I was surprised to see that there didn’t seem to be any kind of cover system. Either it’s gone back to classic FPS crouching (there was certainly some of that, but no lean), or there’s some newfangled sticky system and the guy playing just never used it (he’s, uh, not exactly displaying a great deal of competence).

24. Synesthesia says:

Looks like shit, derivative, and boring. And, its no longer in the old west, which was probably the only saving grace of the first ones.
    Im kinda glad though. making a cartel game at this moment is disrespectful as fuck. Have all the free speech you want, but please save your bad taste for something else, don’t trivialise currently ongoing manslaughters.

• LionsPhil says:

probably the only saving grace of the first ones

Perhaps you should have played them first, Mr Angry Internet Man? Just because you’re irate about one issue with the new game does not mean the past games are bad, except by FURIOUS RAGE LOGIC.

25. Tretiak says:

Why he gets shot forty thousand times and nothing happens?

26. I LIKE FOOD says:

Lol bloom and consolitis in a bad pakage. Pass.

27. chelseascum says:

Uhh, what year is this? The graphics look pretty shoddy for 2011. Also in their own trailer that they can control they can’t do any better than this? Than showing someone shooting the lock off a gate then being told 20 seconds later by an AI squadmate to shoot the lock off the gate? Wow.

I thought the first trailer made this game look alright, but this trailer makes it look dump. Pass.

28. Shadowcat says:

I think that some elements of this look pretty accomplished, so I can’t see why it’s nothing but venom here in the comments so far. OTOH it does look retarded when you are shot over and over with no kind of armour and no ill effects to speak of, and I hate the “you’re injured — find some cover” approach, so I doubt it’s for me.