Men Of War: Sequels And Souvenirs

By Tim Stone on July 7th, 2011 at 11:25 am.

My aim? In the reach zone. My fingers? Poised over the old word-piano ready to impart the following vague but important snippet of Men of War news. In addition to toiling away on MoW: Vietnam, MoW: Condemned Heroes (a standalone title based on the activities of a Soviet Penal battalion), and more DLC for Assault Squad, 1C are currently planning Men of War II. It’s very early days yet, but last week in Prague, series producer Sergey Gerasev dropped some interesting hints as to possible directions.

Actually, I only managed to persuade him to drop one hint:

“Massively multiplayer!” he hinted.

“Tell me more,” I pressed.

“No,” he replied.

“Go on,” I pleaded.

“It’s really too early to say more,” he answered

“Fair enough,” I somethinged “But how am I supposed to turn this tantalising tidbit into a plump RPS post?”.

“You could speculate on what a massively multiplayer MoW might involve?” suggested Sergey.

“I could. But wouldn’t that be fairly pointless and potentially misleading?”

“Ok, how about padding-out the story with a description of some of the interesting items you’ve scavenged while playing the marvellous Men of War: Vietnam preview code?”

“Genius!”

Some Of The Interesting Items I’ve Scavenged While Playing The Marvellous Men of War: Vietnam Preview Code

M79 Grenade Launcher
However horrendous the lead-storm or exposed the corpse, I always try to pick up these little beauties. Able to hurl HE much further than a puny human arm, they are the perfect way to kick-off an ambush or base attack. Arc a salvo of nades over a fence or building using direct control, then quickly switch your concealed attack force to “fire at will” Result: drowsy jungle-hemmed clearing transforms into body-strewn killing floor in the blink of an eye.

RPG-2
Not only does this rustic-looking grenade launcher make short work of tanks, once the war is over it can be converted into a very attractive standard lamp, prosthetic leg, or – assuming you’ve got four of them and an old Jeep bonnet – kitchen table.

BM-37 Mortar
On spotting an enemy mortar pit you’ve got a few options. You can snipe or storm the team then move in to commandeer the weapon, or – as I discovered last night – you can dash around, mischievously encouraging them to drop bombs on their mates. If mortars in MoW2 don’t have minimum engagement ranges, I’ll be disappointed.

T-34/85
Is there anything in MoW as satisfying as spannering a wrecked tank back to life then using it against its previous owner? Souvenirs don’t come much bigger or deadlier than this 32-ton NVA war chariot.

Pilot Helmet
Nothing says “Your Technology Won’t Save You, Imperialist Pigs!” like turning up at a firefight wearing a Huey pilot’s helmet. Rarer than hens’ teeth, you can imagine the admiring glances Morozov and his fellow Soviet advisors will get pulling these from their kit bags back in Moscow.

M72 LAW
The Vietnam-era equivalent of a Panzerfaust. Bulky but handy.

US Radio
Capturing American radios seems to serve no purpose beyond burdening your men. A pity that. At the very least I was hoping that returning sets to base would earn my team some warm words from the CO or a little intel boost at the beginning of the next mission.

Backpack Flamethrower
One of the four preview code missions involves defending an NVA base against an armour-supported US attack. Weather the first wave then sally forth on an equipment hunt, and you should return with at least one of these invaluable napalm dispensers.

DShK HMG
If you can be arsed to drag these weighty tripod HMGs around (it takes two blokes to move one) they can make superb close support weapons. Set one up in a thicket near an enemy position then draw foes towards it with some brazen scouting, for brutal, hat-plucking fun.

ZU-23-2
Disappointingly, helicopters don’t seem to be stealable in MoW: Vietnam. You can swat them from the sky with potent pilfered armaments like this AA gun, but no amount of blue tool boxes will repair the resulting wrecks.

Coolie Hat
It keeps the sun and rain off better than a standard US helmet, but wobbling it around may mess with the MFCDs of passing ground-attack aircraft.

Chicken
In the last preview build, there were definitely rustle-able chickens. Fingers-crossed, one of the mission designers has incorporated fowl thievery into a scenario. I want to play as a downed US pilot attempting to live off the land while making for friendly lines.

Axe/Machete/Spade
Melee in MoW isn’t for the faint of heart or short of hitpoints. All the same, it’s hard to walk past a discarded hatchet or billhook without picking it up. Perhaps in MoW2: Vietnam we will be able to use such implements for felling trees, fashioning punji traps, and harvesting bananas. The MoW-based RPG I’m secretly designing in my top secret Secret Designs exercise book will feature many such activities.

, , , , .

1. Stylosa says:

I’ve only just got hold of Men Of War Assault squad. Absolutely brilliant game, I can’t believe it skipped over my head until now. Men Of War 2? Good lord I need me some of that action.

• McDan says:

Same here, it’s brilliant! Although difficult, more MOW! yes!

2. Teddy Leach says:

Will there be wizards?

3. GraveyardJimmy says:

So many hats.

look at them, that one has a face on :-O

4. coldvvvave says:

>MoW: Condemned Heroes (a standalone title based on the activities of a Soviet Penal battalion)<

Ah, latest trend in Russian historiography "Penal batallions that consisted purely of ethnic minorities, Orthodox priests and victims of political purges won the war despite NKVD's efforts to machinegun them all to death for no reason whatsoever". I can see where this is going. Bad Ending – Commissair shot you for losing the battle. Good Ending – Commissair shot you for winning the battle. Then you were sent to GULAG.

• johnpeat says:

Your childhood wasn’t spent under the blankets (that’s old-fashioned duvets) reading Sven Hassel books then? :)

El_MUERkO says:

Here’s hoping they have new dialogue, the reach zone is an annoying place to be.

Also when watching that video mute it and play a good tune and, amazingly, the video even better!

6. Gundato says:

With regard to stealing chickens:

The hilariously awkward (and fun) bonus mission for the Steam sale involves most of the playable nations uniting for a post-war barbecue in which you steal chickens, (beef)steak, and beer from lightly armed farmers.

• MCM says:

I don’t think a MoW MMO would work particularly well. It would be very easy to do very poorly. Anyone remember World War 2 Online? (The strategic layers, in particular)

7. Baka says:

I remember from somwhere that Vietnam also won’t have any co-op (and we’ll have to clunkily add the missions as a mod into original Men of War, like with Red Tide). Maybe I remember wrong?

@ Gundato: The barbecue mission is the best – until one of your teammates decides to rush the gun on the last stage instead of sneaking up on it.

8. TT says:

“massively multiplayer MoW”

Is the only part that thicks my interest.
    Control a persistent platoon over a strategical map, shifting the front-line pixel by pixel…
    Hope they introduce a Strategical layer, or at list Operational.

Schaulustiger says:

“Men of War” is one of the very few gaming series where I’d thoroughly say “More is always better”.

More Men of War!

• HeavyHarris says:

Agreed. See, there’s a good way to make loads of sequels and spin-offs (take note, Activision) and that’s to make them quite different from each other. In my mind you can’t really compare any of “X of War” titles to each other apples to apples since they’re so diverse. Carry on, 1C, you magnificent bastards.

10. johnpeat says:

I’ve resisted this cult of terrible voice acting upto now and there are many Men of Wars (some of which have already been cheap in the Steam Sale) so – err – which one do you buy if you want a bit of chicken-stealing fun – with tanks?

11. GC says:

The only thing I need in order to buy this game is a re-mappable Pause key…

• Chris Kramer says:

{“common/pause”
      {value KEY_PAUSE}
      {noedit}
      }

Change it in your keys.set of your own documents men of war xyz folder

• GC says:

I think I tried it a long time ago and it changed nothing… I’ll try again when I reinstall.
      Thanks

12. hunsnotdead says:

Is there any chance that we will get a Men of War game in the not too distant future that is _NOT_ a Faces of War modification? O.o
    I love Men of War games but i would really like the series to evolve rather than just see new releases with minor modifications to a game from 2006(!). I mean GEM Engine 3(original was used in Soldiers: Heroes of WWII, 2nd version is used in Faces of War, and all released and upcoming Men of War titles) is slowly 2 years old now, why cant they use it for future MoW games?

• Gundato says:

So I take it you also hate Call of Duty?
      And anything by Bethesda since Daggerfall?
      And ArmA?

If it ain’t broke, why fix it? When people get tired of new campaigns, we won’t have new MoW or a massive change will occur.

• Fumarole says:

• dsi1 says:

I’m sorry but one of the BIGGEST complaints against CoD is that every incarnation looks more like a reskin than a sequel.
      Bethesda is now making Skyrim on a wildly improved, if not new, engine.
      Bohemia Interactive is making ArmA3 on a wildly improved, if not new, engine.

It isn’t broken, in the same sense that a Model T isn’t broken, it’s just so outdated it might as well be.

• Gundato says:

Yup, Call of Duty is just a complete reskin with no new features (aside from the stuff they have at least somewhat consistently been adding up until MW2. Small stuff, but still stuff. CoD2 added grenade throwbacking, I think. Modern Warfare changed the gameplay a fair amount and made melee the crapfest it currently is. World at War added guns with melee functions and zombies. MW2 added… uhm… heartbeat sensors and a lot of new perks and what not. No idea on BLOPS, waiting for a 20 buck or less sale). People hate CoD for MANY other (often justified) reasons. But if those games were two or three years apart, people would be a lot less ready to complain that it is just “reskins”.

Let’s take a look at Unreal Tournament, UT2k3/4, and UT3. Each had a new engine with lots of new features. But the only real difference between UT and 2k3/4 (aside from different guns) were vehicles (that could EASILY have been a mod for the original UT, since many of them did add vehicles of varying forms).
      2k3/4 to UT3? A crappier menu :p

Why bother with new for the sake of new?
      Skyrim getting a new engine is a good thing, if only to allow people to climb ladders. But we’ll see how much that affects the core game
      ArmA 3′s new engine will be nice if it makes movement more fluid, but time will tell how much anyone cares about the new features (aside from just “WOO! New ArmA!”, which I continue to scream at the top of my lungs every few hours). The biggest addition appears to be underwater combat, which probably won’t be the primary focus of most ArmA players (although, a massive scale underwater scuba-battle could be awesome :p).

MoW’s visuals are still pretty damned nice (for the genre). The interface works. So I don’t see why people are desperate for a radical new redesign, aside from “new for the sake of new”.

Now, if the new engine allows stuff like direct control of helicopters and what not (as the old one apparently didn’t), that would be nice. But if the core gameplay remains largely the same…

13. Fartango says:

In the men of war games.. how does one loot a the inventory of a fallen soldier, also can two living soldier exchange inventory supplies?

• TychoCelchuuu says:

Your cursor should change to an Eye when you hover over the dead guy, but if not, just hit the “E” button, I think, for Examine (or for Eye!). Same deal for exchanging supplies.

14. TychoCelchuuu says:

MMO MoW? Hmm. I don’t want to pay a monthly fee, I don’t want to buy new tanks with microtransactions, and I don’t want the winner of the game to be determined by whoever has the veteran troops rather than whoever is the better tactician. I’ll reserve judgment until we actually know what’s coming, but so far it sounds like Assault Squad is what I’ll be sticking with for a while.

cairbre says:

More MoW cant be a bad thing

16. Apocalypse 31 says:

RPG-7 to the turret makes the tank explode? I guess it was packed with C4. Also – Vietnam tank battles – yay alternate history. I hope this MoW has just as much micromanagement as the last 2. Skip!

Rinox says:

Yes because there were no tanks in the Vietnam war.

• dsi1 says:

I’d look up the schematics of that tank and tell you that the rocket probably hit the ammo storage (the only reliable way to really blow up a tank in MoW, though you can cause it to burn the ammo if you get lucky with the fuel/engine) but I don’t know the name of it, also, the rocket hit just below the turret.