Sanctum Gets 4-Player Co-op, 75% Off

By Jim Rossignol on July 7th, 2011 at 7:23 pm.

Pretty, but shooty too.
You might remember that scintillating pretty FPS-tower defence hybrid Sanctum rather tickled our fancy. Quinns said: “It’s the single best tower defense game I can remember playing since Defense Grid: The Awakening.” And it was already co-op, but now it’s 4-way co-op thanks to a new patch. And even more enticingly it’s now 75% off in the Steam summer sale. £2.50! That is only 250 pence more than it would be if it were free.

Watch the trailer below for further elucidation, and go read the Wot I Think if you need further convincing.

, .

1. MuscleHorse says:

I’ll add my voice to the approval. It really is quite special though I’m yet to try the co-op, two-way or four-way.

• Jumwa says:

I’ll speak for the co-op then, since that’s all I have experience with.

Initially there was some frustrations on launch with trying to set it up, but it’s been cleared up now with patches and my partner and I have had nothing but a blast with it. It’s the kind of game where you really want to hit the sweet spot with difficulty, enough to challenge you but not so easy you get stuck doing the 70th wave with no challenge or end in sight.

Definitely recommend this title.

2. Lewie Procter says:

Aye, just grabbed this one myself.

• sinister agent says:

I got it when you said you were getting it. Risen, too.

What are you doing on that bridge? Can I play?

3. Theoban says:

Yeah, boughted. I mean this is half the price of a pint, if I get half a pint’s fun out of it I’ll be happy.

4. Vinraith says:

Damn it, sold.

Tom De Roeck says:

This article made me buy a four pack.

6. Dominic White says:

Sanctum is a pretty great game. Imagine Defense Grid, only with you running around during each wave and shooting the critters yourself. Solid, addictive fun.

I’d be playing it now if my BRAND NEW video card weren’t artifacting all over the place. Guess it’s RMA time… Fuck.

• Barnaby says:

I think great is a little strong of a word. The concept is great but the execution is lacking in regards to the waves. It’s worth mentioning that I’ve been playing this practically since it was released. My friend and I continually kept coming back to it after the patches. We finally just gave up out of frustration.

The problem isn’t with the guns themselves, the overall aesthetics, or the models which I enjoy a lot actually. The problem lies in the tedium of the game and the inability to actually “win”. Many times (throughout the various patches) my friend and I were able to get to level 30+ practically every time, but were always overrun eventually. It wasn’t because our setup wasn’t good enough but because the guns and towers simply stop scaling. If monsters continue scaling and you stop… there’s no f’ing way to win.

While it’s a fun game it needed to be tested much more thoroughly by non-newbs to determine some of the balance issues found in the later levels of the game.

7. CaspianRoach says:

Totalbiscuit has also made a video about this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Ds1E88pb0

Nero says:

The cat made me buy this game!

9. MrTambourineMan says:

Sold!

10. irongamer says:

How does this compare to Iron Grip Warlord? I enjoy the seamless gameplay of building and fighting. You can build during combat. Can you build during combat in Sanctum? Or only at the beginning?

• Danny252 says:

Only between waves.

Sinomatic says:

Shame, I really liked Iron Grip Warlord. Someone should make a pretty, modern version of that. Yes. Go do that, someone.

• Sassenach says:

This was my first purchase of the sale and I’m very happy with it. I did like Iron Grid: Warlord but it was a bit rough around the edges. In comparison Sanctum is really rather polished as far as I have seen in my two hours. I don’t think it sacrifices a great deal by having seperate construction and fighting phases. But then again I got a bit overwhelmed trying to do both with IG:W and usually just ended up doing one or the other anyway, so it’s probably a matter of taste.

11. kinglog says:

I saw this earlier, investigated, and passed. Now I have the four pack and have noticed that Sanctum is top of the Steam charts.

Go RPS

Martel says:

Heh, funny, same exact thing happened to me. Now I have 3 friends with a game I passed on that didn’t even know about it :)

Carra says:

Bought it at full price and well worth playing. I enjoyed playing through all levels. They all had a nice difficulty level making me have to replay a few times to get it right. And they added a free, new level which is great customer support.

It’s a fun game that will keep you busy for a few evenings.

13. Cryotek says:

It’s a great game, I put in 29 hours and I have only played single player and the 3 initial maps. At this price, you’d be crazy not to buy it.

14. Bfox says:

I’m on the fence about this tower de-fence game.

To be honest if I want some TF action, I think I’d be better off saving my money and just playing some Starcraft 2 customs modes, there are so many well done TF gamemodes and always more just pouring out.

15. msarge says:

This game makes me think about how I want Valve to make a TF2 game mode where you play as the engineer and can set up a ton of turrets, which could have different upgrade options.

And a little bit of my idea for a DOTA/Counter-Strike Mashup game called Dota-Strike.

16. InsidiousBoot says:

Try the demo if you are skeptical.

17. Jams O'Donnell says:

I just posted about this in the Steam sale thread in the forums, but I might as well repeat it here:

I’m a cheapskate and want Sanctum for free. However, I have a copy of Frozen Synapse waiting for someone to gift it to. Put two and two together and PM me on the forums if you’re interested in a gifting exchange.

18. Wang Tang says:

Bought the 4-pack: playing this the coop-way is a blast!