The Secret World’s Wee-Based Cinematic

By John Walker on July 7th, 2011 at 9:19 am.

I'm sure he shouldn't be smoking.

Later on today we have the second part of our massive interview with The Secret World lead, Ragnar Tørnquist (first part here). In that one Ragnar and I end up having a bit of a “discussion” about the nature of truth and authorship, as well as ambiguous endings and where gaming needs to go next. In the meantime you can enjoy the latest CGI (cinematic) trailer for The Secret World, which is below. This one is mostly about wee.

When over in Oslo Ragnar explained that he wanted to see if it was possible to create a trailer for a game that was essentially just someone going for a piss. Goal achieved!

There is no way he washed his hands.

, , , , .

1. Zepposlav says:

Tentacles, ho! N1.

2. Premium User Badge Lakshmi says:

Glad I use the ladies…

3. Doesntmeananything says:

I’m quite curinous about this game now.

• franches says:

I’m not

• Zakkeh says:

Just because it’s an MMo doesn’t mean it can’t be interesting. Eventually, there’ll be an MMO that breaks the mould and pulls us away from WoW’s idea of grinding only. This could be the one. It certainly has enough potential

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Waiting for Godot.

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, both Anarchy Online and Conan seem happy to throw out the bog-standard “hurr fantasy” that MMOs more commonly use, and a Modern setting MMO sounds nice as an idea… but it’s a question of how well the game actually plays. Otherwise it’s just a pretty story that you could read in a book.

4. Vexing Vision says:

As mentioned on my Twitter (shameful self-plug), I don’t like CGI stuff for games. I like my cutscenes, but for trailers? They fail.

All three CGI trailers for Secret World are different though. I love the setting, the atmosphere, the integration of what I hope are in-game powers (foolishly, I know!). My favourite remains the Templar-girl with the Raven-man, but this one is so bad-ass Constantine. The comics, not the movie.

5. Nallen says:

I’d have pissed myself.

6. Super Bladesman says:

Blimey

7. Protagoras says:

God dammit I’m loving this. I just really really really really really they don’t fuck up with the game mechanics, as the world is amazing.

I need to play the longest journey again, one of the best game worlds I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy, right up there with Planescape Torment.

8. Latro says:

Ah, going for the Hellblazer market, I see.

9. WaveOfMutilation says:

I do like the idea of an mmo world where John Constantine could quite happily fit in.

I’m just hoping that it turns into an mmo with real persistence and player agency, not one centered around pointless pvp and gathering groups for raids.

10. megazver says:

Those are some large, large arms on him in the beginning.

Cool trailer.

11. razgon says:

Poor guy…

12. Chris D says:

I still have no idea who did what to who, but it did look genuinely creepy.

I am wondering quite how they’re going to manage to sustain that kind of atmosphere in an MMO but looking forward to seeing them try.

13. Hoaxfish says:

I don’t think you’re allowed to smoke in pubs any more.

Maybe that monster is just one of those stall attendant guys you have to avoid tipping.

• Jumwa says:

The stall attendant… from hell!

They’re making a movie about that for release next summer, no doubt.

On a serious note, I am finding myself more and more interested in this game. Also, I’m totally a Dragon. It’s obvious.

• Arglebargle says:

@Jumwa “…Also, I’m totally a Dragon. It’s obvious”

I’m with ya! Already backstoried up. California surfer-y dude. Ride the Chaos wave, man! Templer’s want to destroy it and rule, Illumanti want to control and profitt off it, Dragon….well, ride that Chaos wave!

14. Tei says:

This dude don’t look like a pyromagician. The money thing make him look like a sorcer of some type, maybe a powerfull sorcer that can manipulaty destiny / odds, these things. But then he can decouple the universe, and kill monsterforms in alternate realities, and remove these monsters from existence mergin again the alternate universe with this one. So maybe this dude is not a sorcer, but a dude trapped into two realities, that have learned to skill to “choose” what reality to live in, and push things from one to the other. On one reality he was starting the cigar with a lighter, on the other he was waiting for the cigar to start the fire.
    Thats the easy solution, but you can’t eliminate the posibility of magic. Is only that the planeshifter solution seems more logical to me.

This creature is probably a minion tryiing to take control of the planeshifter, to use him as a door so a powerfull being (his master) enter this plane.

• Premium User Badge Tom De Roeck says:

..or its a trailer of a game made to look awesome.

• lowprices says:

I can’t tell if you’re taking the piss or not, given some of the scary dedication this game seems to attract.

Taking the – HA! I totally didn’t intent that as a pun. But you can have it, free of charge. Because it was awful and I wouldn’t dream of charging for it.

• Tei says:

Nah. I was doing a “In Character” comment. I think is more fun if you roleplay *e verything*

• lowprices says:

I don’t understand a single word of what you just said.
      Which is actually pretty in-character for me.

Edit: I’d like to point out that what I’ve written was in response to a post that has since been edited to say something entirely different. Possibly by the Illuminati or something, I don’t know.

• .backslash says:

/fanboi mode on

The website describes him as a “Chaos magus”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

/fbm off

• DeathHamsterDude says:

There’s no classes in this game, which is what I want. You can be a bad-ass sorcerer who also happens to kick ass with a sniper rifle if you wanted to, or a swordmaster priest who fights the darkness. Or whatever. 500 powers at launch anyway, and you can pick whatever you want. Although I’m sure people will specialize. I’ll probably end up being a Templar Mage with a little swordy-wordy thrown in for good measure.

• Kazang says:

First time I’ve heard a concept like that put into a role like “planshifter”, that is actually really interesting.

15. mrpier says:

I’d rather have a TV-series/movie based in this setting than a game now. It’s the same reaction as I have to the CGI-SW:TOR trailers really.

• Timofee says:

Agreed.
      I’m interested to try the game out but I’m yet to be convinced that an MMO can ever deliver a story telling experience on a par with a single player game never mind a film or TV show.
      The universe sounds really interesting so I’d rather they just tell me quality story in a proven format.
      Reminds me of the cinematic for the Mark of Chaos game – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_KlINBUYc4 – I’d have loved a film of that rather than a 2nd rate game.

16. Premium User Badge Tom De Roeck says:

Whatever the MMO may turn out to be, that cinematic was just the right amount of interesting.

17. The Pink Ninja says:

I started following this early and as an aspirate member of the illuminate it’s nice to see we finally got our fricking trailer >:

18. Ovno says:

I hate to be the one that says it, but is this game a mage-hunter (world of darkness) cross or what?

And if it is when can I play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the subject of the trailer,

Both the coins and the ciggy where done using the sphere of force, then in the bog he used the sphere of spirit to cross into the umbra and killed the monster there as to not leave a monster corpse in the real world.

19. Premium User Badge Jubaal says:

Have you seen the size of his shirt sleeves? This man should not shop alone!

20. Teddy Leach says:

I wish my pisses were that exciting.

21. Koozer says:

The lluminati can smoke in Pubs! Do their tendrils of influence have no bounds?

22. Premium User Badge Diziet Sma says:

Hehehehe. That is all.

23. fallingmagpie says:

Can’t smoke in London pubs.

They also make you pay for your drinks when you get them, not after.

And I thought the Illuminati were based in New York and the Templars in London? Just seems odd to have a trailer not in their home city.

• Lukasz says:

will you tell him to put that smoke down?

good luck with that.

maybe it is sydney?

• .backslash says:

Rule of cool/ it’s the Horned God, a pub where supernaturals hang out, so I don’t think standard regulations apply.

The character himself is English, the Templar trailer was in Kingsmouth and the Dragon in China, not Korea, so there already is a precedent.

• Tei says:

The Templars are global, seems to have quarters all around the world:
      From his faq:
      What is the difference between O.T.O. and M∴M∴M∴?
      M∴M∴M∴ (Mysteria Mystica Maxima), was originally established as the British section of the O.T.O. under Crowley as National Grand Master. As currently understood, M∴M∴M∴ represents the aspect of O.T.O. that administers the initiatory degrees of O.T.O. from 0° (Minerval) through VII°.
      How is the Gnostic Catholic Church related to O.T.O.?
      Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica (E.G.C.) or the Gnostic Catholic Church, was incorporated into the O.T.O. structure in 1908. Crowley wrote the Gnostic Mass (Liber XV) for the E.G.C. and O.T.O. in 1913. The E.G.C. formally accepted the Law of Thelema in 1920. As currently understood, the E.G.C. represents the aspect of O.T.O. that administers the Gnostic Mass and associated ecclesiastical rituals.
      Is the O.T.O. a “Secret Society”?
      O.T.O. is a California tax-exempt, not-for-profit, religious corporation. It does hold the details of its initiatory rituals and initiatory documents to be secret, and it considers the identity of its members to be private and confidential. O.T.O. policy requires it to comply with all applicable laws of the jurisdictions in which it operates.

24. McCool says:

Stewart Lee’s let himself go.

25. Davie says:

John? That you? Dyed your hair, mate.

I love how immensely chill all of the protagonists in the trailers are. Sure, it’s an action hero staple to act like you don’t give a shit, but they take it to a new level.

26. Mekon says:

William Gravel, “combat magician”.

see: Warren Ellis, Gravel.