Pirates Of The Black Cove Gets A Demo!

By Jim Rossignol on July 8th, 2011 at 4:00 pm.

I’ve had a few chances to see Pirates Of The Black Cove in action and I have to say it looks rather pleasing. It’s got a strong whiff of Sid Meier’s Pirates! to it, with roaming about in an open world in your ship, picking fights as you wish, while also being largely quest driven, so that it has a sort of Pirate-gang Diablo aspect to it. You build up various pirate towns with facilities enabling recruitment of ever more gruff and dangerous pirate type units which you can then take ashore to loot and pillage. But you no longer need rely on my reportage for an idea of whether it’s any good, because there’s a demo, containing a good chunk of the full game. Go check it out.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Rossi says:

YAAAAAARRRRRR!!!

(Sorry)

2. Ian says:

RockPaperShotgun promote piracy!

3. SpinalJack says:

Ah yes, the homing missile, the staple of any good pirate

4. Thule says:

As much as I’d like to see someone else make a game like Sid Meier’s Pirates, this doesn’t look very good. The ground combat looks horrible and the spread on the broadsides is ridiculous.

• Zenicetus says:

I think it’s supposed to look ridiculous, like the homing rockets, and the “fire a grappling hook on a line tied to a barrel, that drags behind the enemy ship to slow it down.” It looks like the kind of game where you have to just buy into the cartoon presentation to enjoy it, instead of wondering why square riggers can sail directly upwind. It’s not pressing any of my personal buttons though, although I was a fan of Pirates!. Just a little too goofy-looking for me.

• Gadriel says:

I enjoyed Pirates!, but that was pretty much my limit for cartooniness in high-seas hijinks. This looks too silly.

5. ZIGS says:

Any way to make the mouse not behave like it’s dragging an anvil around? This is one of the most baffling things to me, how developers keep fucking up something as simple as mouse movement in games

• Thants says:

Number one thing developers should know by now. You know how my mouse moves normally? That’s how I want it to move!

• LuNatic says:

Turn off vsync?

6. Squeeby says:

At the start, those pirates are REALLY excited about entering that house.

That or they really need to have a wee.

7. pafnucy says:

What a farce. Can’t anyone remake Age of Sail II?

8. Danorz says:

this would be a lot better without the intolerably plodding RT”S” sections, so it’s a shame they seem like they consitute the majority of the game. (S in quotation marks because it seems to be authentic pirate strategy of pile everyone on and see who dies first)

9. Tmoore says:

Oh snap… I don’t even give two craps about the whole “pirate” fantasy world – but Pirates! was damn fun, this looks to be even better.

10. WMain00 says:

I’m gonna give it a shot. I enjoyed Pirates considerably.

11. Zepposlav says:

It should be about spaceships with so much arcadeish nonsense involved. Crap for kids.

12. Rii says:

Looks like it could be fun. I’d check out the demo if I weren’t currently buried with games. =/

13. WMain00 says:

Hmmmm, it’s a bit…disappointing. Home seeking missiles are both game breaking and non-sensical. Ships collide into each other rather than any sort of boarding initation. It’s all a bit flat. Can’t help but feel you’d be better playing Pirates of the Burning Sea, which went free 2 play and is more Pirates! than this.

14. _Jackalope_ says:

Bugger. I messed up the demo by setting 70hz for my monitor instead of 60 in my over exuberence to set the highest res. Tried fiddlig with the settings file but can’ get it to reset to deafult and uninstalling doesn’t wipe it either. Looks like fun.

Doh, nevermind, the correct settings is in documents, not the install directory.

15. Sidorovich says:

C’mon RPS, what are you recommending shit like this for? Pirate version of Diablo it ain’t. There’s not even any wind speed mechanics! Just another arcade pirate game that’s bollocks.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Making a judgement for yourself is the point of playing a demo, surely? I’m not reviewing it, or recommending it, but it did look okay at the Paradox demo events.

• Dlarit says:

Yes I agree RPS from now on you shall only mention games that I like! If I get a whiff of a game I don’t like your going the way of news of the world!

16. clippa says:

The only good thing I can say about the demo is that it’s made me really really really want to play sid meier’s pirates again so I’ve bought it on steam.

17. noom says:

This appears to be another of those situations where everybody else hates a game that I think looks pretty damn enjoyable. I’m usually right about everything, so bad call everybody else.

18. Dog Pants says:

It’s not bad. The ship-bound antics are entertaining enough, and with available upgrades could prove fun for a while. The on foot bits are somewhat bland, but that might just be the demo. It’s all a bit short though for a 732MB download, not enough to inspire me to pay more than a few quid to try the full game.

19. Huygens says:

A very short demo indeed. Very few things there to inspire me to pay for the full game.
    Sea battles can be a pain, until you realize that those “homing rockets” your -otherwise quite useless- bucket ship is equipped with can take down your two scripted targets and any other ships you might want to go after, with relative impunity.
    The stronghold is a glorified -and simplified- RTS base. Movement is sluggish, both on sea and on land, the mouse cursor feels like it’s been covered in molasses, otherwise it’s pretty standard RTS fare.
    The dialogues are acceptable -the first couple of times- but felt too silly, too quickly, after a few times. Why go back to such a weak demo, you might ask? Ah, well, because a PC perfectly capable of dealing without any problems with games such as Mass Effect 2 and King’s Bounty, seems to attract a few CTDs when running the Black Cove demo. Luckily, the demo reloads fairly quickly.
    The land “battles” are by far the weakest point in an overall lukewarm experience. For a couple of quid I’d consider buying it, but at 13 pounds, I’ll just pass until this is -inevitably- priced down.
    Such a shame, really. The romanticized pirate lore is just begging for a decent treatment. Much as I loved both the original Pirates! and its recent-ish remake, I simply cannot believe that no one has managed to come up with an equally interesting take on the subject.

20. DainIronfoot says:

I think Pirates! is as far as I want to go down the “abstracted cutesy pirates” line. I’m dying for more of a realistic pirate game (more like the Pirates of the Carribean game + New Horizons mod. Only with good melee combat.)