A Game Of A Game Of Thrones: New Screens

By John Walker on July 12th, 2011 at 2:59 pm.

A throne of games.

It’s International George R. R. Martin day today, of course, with the whole world taking a holiday to read his latest book, A Dance With Dragons, which incidentally is a terrible title. So while you’re wearing your A Song Of Ice And Fire t-shirt, petting your wolf cub, and waggling swords, you should also check out the new screenshots from Cyanide’s game based on the first book, A Game Of Thrones: Genesis.

I’ll admit I’ve not read the books. Sure, you can hate me. I started the first one! But then I lost it. I bought another copy, but it had Sean Bean on the cover so it was too embarrassing to read in public. Now I’m stuck, having watched the first episode of the TV show, which got as far as I did in the book, and I don’t know whether to read or watch from now on. So I’ve ended up doing neither.

I’m disappointed that the adaptation is a strategy rather than an RPG, but I’m quite certain you’re not. So here are the latest screens of the game. As you might imagine, clicking on them will make them bigger.

, , .

1. AdrianWerner says:

Don’t despair John. Cyanide is also making RPG based on the license. The RTS will simply launch first.

• Eagle0600 says:

There is also a Mount & Blade mod in development, as well as a Total War mod, and a mod for Crusader Kings. In short, everyone is going crazy for ASOIF.

soulblur says:

I am disappointed. Sort of. Well, it would be difficult to keep with the lore if it was an RPG – your character couldn’t really change the course of events, as the books are still being written. I suppose they could have gotten Martin to help write the plot of an RPG which runs parallel to the book plot though. That would be 9 shades of awesome.

I read the books, and I’m watching the series. I prefer the series, actually. I think the characters come across more clearly when you can actually see them (which is nothing inherent in the medium, but happens to be true of this adaptation).

3. AshEnke says:

It’s a rather ugly game. I just hope it delivers when it comes to the story and the freedom of action.

• WhatGravitas says:

Too ugly… too, too ugly… After a thousand and one awful movie to game abominations, somebody decided to make a tv series to game abomination. And it looks like crap. What more can be said?

• thebigJ_A says:

Book, dude. Not tv series. The tv series came after, and this is clearly not based on it.

4. godgoo says:

oh god read, don’t watch. I found the TV show to be good but it really dicked with the overall tone of the setting and even more so the characters, made it more TV-ish I guess . Just take the front cover off of a gabriel garcia marquez book and paste it over the picture of sean bean, works a treat.

5. Azradesh says:

Don’t do neither, do both! It’s the only way to go.

• J-snukk says:

Yeah, both is the way to go as they’re both very similar to each other and both brilliant, best of both worlds, like bisexuality.

• Dragatus says:

I find the book to be better than the series, so I’d go with that first. But if you’re a strongly visual type of person or if you’re short on time it might be better to watch the series.

Or if you really can’t decide just flip a bloody coin. Either of the two is better than neither.

6. ichbinspikeface says:

i too think it would be better as an RPG… i’m encouraged by adrianwerner’s comment. i think the books are better (freakishly amazing, actually), but with such a large cast of characters, the series has been very helpful and enjoyable.

7. Kaira- says:

Wait wait wait.

Based on the first book? I remember reading that the game was supposed to take place before the books.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I don’t like either of those options. The good strategy bits only start at the end of GOT.

Yeah, there are a few recent wars mentioned in the book. But can you name more than two events (the turning point and the conclusion) of Robert’s Rebellion? Can you tell me a single fact about the War of the Ninepenny Kings? Probably not. It’s the current war that’s by far the most interesting, mostly because it involves all the characters we care about.

• Schadenfreude says:

It’s set during the time of Aegon the Conqueror I believe; a few hundred years before the first book begins. They’ll have to neuter Aegon’s dragons a little though; in the books his conquest of the seven kingdoms was pretty one sided (DRAGONS!!).

• GlobalFrequency says:

The shield shown with the armored man on the iron throne bears the symbol of house Targaryen, so that implies before the series. The only living Targaryens I’ve seen mention of in the book are Daenerys and Viserys and one other. And they are all very far from the iron throne.

• Voxel lens says:

@GlobalFrequency

Surely you mean TWO others, yes?

• THEWOLF says:

@Voxel lens … Nope there are THREE.

• Voxel lens says:

@THEWOLF

A third? Alive and mentioned by name? I think not.

• pilot13 says:

SPOILER ALERT so scroll down if you dont want to know.

The third is the Commander of the Night Watch and is in no way a player for the throne.

• thebigJ_A says:

What a stupid way to write a spoiler. You can see the spoiler as you are reading “spoiler alert”. Kind of defeats the purpose.
      And if that means what I think it means (just started the new book), you are a jerk for spoiling that for me. Why would you even write it?

• pilot13 says:

Well it’s a spoiler from the first book. Not the new one. And I tried chucking in a few line breaks but the comment system auto formatted them out.

• Voxel lens says:

@pilot13
      The one you’re talking about is “the one other” I think the poster I responded to meant- read his comment- he said, “Viserys, Daenerys and one other”. I said TWO- meaning (MINOR AGOT SPOILER:)

the maester of the BW, Aeomon,
      Who the third (OTHER) is, only GRRM knows.

• thebigJ_A says:

Alright, so he was mistaken. I knew that, as of all the older books, the Commander of the Night’s Watch wasn’t a Targaryen. But we don’t know who his mother is, so it seemed like he was saying in the new book Jon was a Targaryen. Which would be stupid, but that hasn’t stopped GRRM before.
      Still, why put a spoiler in at all? People who’ve read the books know what’s being talked about (well, except for him missing who the “one other” obviously was somehow). People who haven’t wouldn’t want to know. And if you are to put one in (don’t), at least have the decency to make sure it’s formatted properly. There is an edit button.

Spoilers are for when someone asks a specific question and you want to answer it but warn others the answer (or the original question) might “spoil” something. They aren’t for randomly posting where everyone can see to no purpose. Just don’t.

8. dc2005 says:

read the books! I already got my copy of Dance With Dragons (wirelessly sent to my Kindle)

• Kadayi says:

Yeah Kindle is a good way to go. I did the same. I was rather hoping it would of been available at midnight so I could fit in a couple of chapters before kips, however somewhat annoyingly it turned up at about 1am (still did a couple of chapters, but suffered for it at work today).

• thebigJ_A says:

Kindle’s great. I got it first thing in the morning.

The only small gripe I have is that the maps are hard to read on that screen (why oh why cant you zoom in on images so they are bigger than the screen and scroll around them? The zoom function is hardly worth it when it makes the image a whole half inch bigger). Luckily I used a gift card I forgot I had to buy the hardcover, so I can pore over them properly in a few days.

9. Vexing Vision says:

But don’t they know that both Strategy AND books are dead?

Straight to FPS/DVD adaption is the only way to go.

10. Kandon Arc says:

I kind of wish Paradox had got the licence but maybe this will be good as an RTS. Oh well Sengoku is on it’s way and that looks close enough for someone to make a Game of Thrones mod.

11. Xercies says:

Strategy makes a bit more sense but i don’t want a standard RTS. Do you know what would make more sense? A Solium Infernum type multiplayer turn based strategy game.

12. misterk says:

I hope theres some minigames, then they’ll be a game in a game of a Game of Thrones

• noodlecake says:

Mini games of board games involving the movement of throne shaped objects?

• noodlecake says:

a game involving thrones in a game of A Game of Thrones… :/

Rinox says:

Cyanide ugh.

14. diebroken says:

/still waiting for a WoT game remake…

Edit: Hooray! XD

• chargen says:

• Werthead says:

“It’s being made with the Obsidian’s game engine (game itself not developed by Obsidian though), the same engine from Dungeon Siege 3. If I said any more I would be killed.”

Source for that information?

The situation at the moment is that Red Eagle are heading up the project, but Obsidian are doing the donkey work (Chris Avellone is apparently writing, at least part of the game). So they’re playing a somewhat major role in it, but Red Eagle, as the licence-holders, will be the main company credited.

15. Tei says:

A strategy game is ok. I think the popular cardboard game is strategic too.
    I think the other options could have ben:
    - Mini golf
    - Turret defense
    - Hidden object game
    - Total War: Game of Thrones …oops.. thats probably what are creating.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Don’t forget a stealth assassination third person actioner featuring Arya Stark.

16. alh_p says:

“I’m disappointed that the adaptation is a strategy rather than an RPG, but I’m quite certain you’re not. ”

I am. Ideally I’d like to see a ASoIF mod for Mount and Blade. There was one but it died before M&B was ever released. It’s very sad…

17. Creeping Death says:

I wish I had my copy of Dance With Dragons already. Stupid Amazon isnt even shipping it until tomorrow, and it’s estimated to arrive the day after I leave for holidays. It’s a cruel world.

• dc2005 says:

hurrah for digital distribution! is all I have to say to you…

Big Murray says:

Who’s this bloke, then?

• Unaco says:

He’s definitely a Targaryen… or, at the least, his shield carries the symbol of House Targaryen. And, there have only been 2 non-Targaryens that have sat the Iron Throne, both of whom where Children at the time.

• DiamondDog says:

Considering the amount of time they seem to be covering it could be a number of people. A Targaryen is a safe bet, though.

• abremms says:

Aegon the Conquerer. thats where my money is anyways. game will be set around the time of his conquest of the seven kingdoms.

19. Drake Sigar says:

I thought you said “pelting your wolf cub”, but petting makes much more sense.

20. DiamondDog says:

I’d be interested to know why you think A Dance With Dragons is a terrible title. You seem to be stating it as fact without letting us know WHY. Or is it just an opinion? These things need clarification.

As for the game I’m not sure strategy is the best fit for the stories they are telling. Time will tell I suppose.

• Abundant_Suede says:

It is an objective fact that this is a ridiculous question.

These things need clarification.

They really don’t.

Scheming, backstabbing leaders controlling vast medieval armies battling each other for control of the kingdom? Yup, no precedent for strategy there. But, no worries. If an RPG is being made as well, then all bases are covered. At least until Terraria fans discover there is to be no ASoIaF metroidvania.

oneloafleft says:

Or alternatively, there’s this

22. Pidesco says:

Regarding the question of reading or watching first, I recommend going for the TV series first. It’s much better as you don’t have to plow through Martin’s plodding, awkward prose. After you’ve watched the series, give the books a go. Assuming you enjoy the show, the extra details on the plot and characters you get from the books help enhance the TV experience, and if you empathize with said characters, suffering through the writing becomes much easier.

The game will probably be bad.

• Kaira- says:

“It’s much better as you don’t have to plow through Martin’s plodding, awkward prose.”

• Xercies says:

I would say I agree, definitly do both because there are some things in the TV series they don’t really work with and the novel does. Like Brans storyline is a bit mroe fleshed out in the book, in fact it is very needed there is a lot to do with him in the second book and i’m sure his character is very important in the books to come.

• Pidesco says:

“Good sir, I do disagree. If you want plodding prose, I suggest you go read Wheel of Time. I’ve found Martin’s writing quite enchanting and intense.”

Well, it’s true that Wheel of Time is worse than Martin. Twilight/Harry Potter fanfiction is also worse, but it still doesn’t change the quality of Martin’s writing. :D

• Werthead says:

Martin’s prose is quite good, as the quite extensive list of awards he’s won attests. There are better prose writers than him in SFF – Gene Wolfe and Jack Vance immediately come to mind, maybe LeGuin and Delaney’s best works – but there are very few remotely in the running when it comes to building characters, establishing realistic motivations and providing rich dialogue.

Maybe, pray tell, you can enlighten us as to some writers you consider to have better prose?

23. Edgar the Peaceful says:

I wish HBO would re-write the books. Martin can plot, but he can’t write. I gave up halfway through the first book. LOVED the series though, Peter Dinklage in particular.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Interesting. I think he writes good character dialogue, the sort of thing perfectly suited to HBO. It is in fact his plotting I would take issue with. At least, not until a “A Feast for Crows”, at any rate, in which he seemed to really go off the rails.

“Lady Stoneheart”. God.

24. man-eater chimp says:

My copy only got sent today :(

Carra says:

Yeah, mine has to come all the way from that island north of Europe.

I’ll have to wait a few more days.

Schaulustiger says:

If Cyanide did a PC version of the most excellent Game Of Thrones Living Card Game, I’d be all over it.

26. Formanovo says:

Honestly, The Witcher 2 perfectly suits the needs I would have for a Game of Thrones game. I highly doubt a movie licensed title will be able to compete with that.

27. Maxheadroom says:

Noooooo!

I wouldnt normally comment this far down (really, who reads after the first page?) but this has bandwagon hype cashin written all over it.

If this was 1985 it would be a side scrolling platformer with just as much relevance to the source material

lowprices says:

This will join Mount and Blade and Kings Bounty on the pile of games I ignore because of how utterly, utterly generic the screenshots make them look. Why can’t pc rpg/rts games get beyond Tolkein fanfiction into something more interesting? You can criticise JRPG’s all you want (and I do), but at least they tend to look like they take place somewhere more interesting than a muddly field in Yorkshire. I mean, I live in Yorkshire, I can get muddy fields any time I like.

And no, I’m now describing ASOIAF as Tolkein fanfiction (before I get roasted alive by fanboys). I’m halfway through Game of Thrones, and it’s doing the whole Political Intrigue thing so convincingly that I’m finding the fantasy elements a bit awkward and unwelcome, actually.

• Grygus says:

Not sure you actually care, but Mount & Blade has nothing to do with Tolkien. Simply because it’s set in a medieval time frame doesn’t make it fantasy. Also, I would suggest that judging games entirely by their screenshots is an exceptionally poor system.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Not that I’d dispute that the screenshots look artistically mundane, and setting the wisdom in judging gameplay by screenshots aside, but that is a rather odd pairing in your example. M&B is more or less realistically rendered in a fictional medieval European setting. Kings Bounty is bright, colorful and cartoonish, and set in more of a traditional fairy tale setting. I don’t really see the grouping.

Besides, ASoIaF is a fictionalized re-imagining of the War of the Roses set in a lightly fantasized medieval European analogue. How should it be depicted? Giant psychedelic mushrooms and androgynous BESM toons don’t seem to fit the tone. Blame the source material if you don’t like the setting.

If what you’re saying is you’d like to see more RPGs and fantasy strategy games set outside the medieval European tradition, then I can certainly sympathize with that. But I cant blame a developer for faithfully depicting the setting of the source material, albeit in particularly tepid fashion.

29. Robert says:

WINTER IS COMING!

(I’m sorry, the voices made me do it.)

30. Jake says:

Waaait a minute. Sean Bean is not embarrassing! I personally ONLY read books with Sean Bean on the cover.

• Rii says:

Sean Bean is indeed awesome, but if nothing else reading that edition lets everyone know that you only started on the books after seeing the TV series, which as Christian Lander points out is a great crime in white culture.

31. thebigJ_A says:

Read the books first. That’s the right way to do it.

The series is great, but it changes things and skips rather a lot. From talking with several people who watched the show without reading the books, there’s quite a bit they didn’t understand or pick up on. People who read first just got more out of the series, in my experience.

32. Abraham says:

will it have Securom?

33. veerus says:

i said it before and i’ll say it again. that totally looks like Kohan

34. Werthead says:

Considering that every single news story RPS does on this game generates the exact same questions, it might be worthwhile including the following information each time:

There are two games, an RTS and an RPG. The RPG is due in late 2012.

The RTS spans 1,000 years, starting with Nymeria’s invasion of Westeros and ending with Robert’s Rebellion, including the Targaryen invasion of Westeros. It’s not set during the books, but the RPG will be.

Yes, a Mount and Blade/Total War/Crusader Kings mod would be splendid, which is why there is one.

Just a thought :)