Hearty: Meet The Medic Outtakes

By Jim Rossignol on July 12th, 2011 at 7:58 am.

Valve have posted an bunch of the outtakes from Meet The Medic over on the TF2 blog. These are genuine outtakes, and are animated storybaord mock ups and rough animated sequences, rather than the “comedy” outtakes that the animated films now so often bookend their credits with. Valve explain some of the process behind the decisions made, and how the story told in the final movie came to be: “Instead of the medigun we’d explain the origin of the ubercharge, giving us a chance to explore the Heavy and Medic’s relationship a bit, not to mention a few gross-out surgery gags. Better yet, this new opening segued into our big finish far better than our old story ever had: The significance of the big ubercharge moment had some dramatic heft to it now. Even the doves were now explained, instead of just being a neat visual effect.”

I’ve posted Meet The Medic below, just in case you needed cheering up.

, , .

1. Bobic says:

I thought the first one was funny, but they were right to realize that nobody wanted to know how the medic gun worked.

• _strictmachine says:

Agreed. I watched what they released and immediately thought “Ah, sure, he’s got the constant regeneration thing worked out. We know this. That’s a given. But why isn’t the heavy ‘healing’?”

2. Radiant says:

If they gave this much thought to Episode 3.

just kidding.

• Radiant says:

No I’m not..

• coldvvvave says:

They are doing exactly that right now I believe. Probably because they understand that no one actually wants another HL2 Ep2. Sure, more of the same is good, but HL2 is stagnant for 5 years, maybe it’s time to do something better, not just update the engine.

• Radiant says:

I’m… I’m actually not that bothered about Episode 3.
      At this point in time asking about it is just a running gag.

• Lukasz says:

Like i said once before.

I DO want another HL2:ep2. I just want the story of episodes to finally end in style of HL2. Don’t want new graphic engine for it, don’t want innovation of fps genre…I just want great final to the current plot with traditional gameplay of half life 2.

then they can go crazy with Half Life 3.

• zeroskill says:

[insert generic Ep.3 rant comment here]

3. Gnoupi says:

I found the “Meet the medic” video a bit harsh and gory.
    But when I see these outtakes, I realize that it’s the softest version they came up with!

• somnolentsurfer says:

Yeah, I always liked playing the Medic ’cause I thought he was the nice guy doing the healing. Now it turns out he’s a psychopath!

• Nevard says:

Did you even listen to what your medic was saying as he ran around the battlefield?
      None of the TF2 characters are particularly “nice”.
      And it’s only as gory as what you’ll usually see in a game of TF2 anyway!

• LionsPhil says:

I loved it. I keep finding myself doing a full-on grin when watching it, which is an unusual and terrifying experience.

I also like how this blog shows that they try things out with crappy prototypes you’d expect to find on YouTube made with GMod.

Oh man. The “kill me” one.

• Dozer says:

I also found the Medic video to be a bit too gory to be really enjoyable. Spy was the highest point so far.

4. Nallen says:

I need cheering up!

But I’m at work so I can’t listen to it :’(

Monchberter says:

I think the decapitated Spy head needs a ‘Meet the…’ of his own.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

He’s got one, kind of. “Meet the Sandvich” appears to have been from the disembodied Spy’s point of view.

6. Ephaelon says:

Using the Spy’s body as a footpump to transfuse blood is a stroke of genius!

• StickyNavels says:

But he didn’t check the blood type! That’s malpractice!

• Baka says:

“…and the spy was never heard from again!
      - Anyway. Zat’s how I lost my medikel lizense.”

7. Dana says:

Mandatory, Valve > All. Fanboy post.

8. markcocjin says:

This is how they’re doing Episode 3. Buliding entire games and rejecting them after playtest. A spectacular failure is just important to them as a spectacular breakthrough.

They not caught up like Duke Nukem’s production where they see something in other games and they want to add that element in. They go with their own ideas and build them to find out if it works and they throw their baby into the trash if its not good enough.

Then you have companies like DICE scavenging through Valve’s trash bin to find things like TF2′s Commander Class to use with their game. Now Battlefield no longer has that commander, you could tell who’s in the know about what the future brings.

• Milky1985 says:

I think your a bti confused, TF2 doesn’t have a commander class, BF2 however did have a commander (not a specific class but anyone could be it) that could be used that could direct people etc.

Unfortantly it was generally used by idiots to just arty strike your own base around the airplane so someone could steal and crash it.

• Senethro says:

Milky, he is referring to the version of TF2 in the 1990s that had the commander class.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

Yes, they’re the Steely Dan of the games world.

9. Shadowcat says:

Meet the Medic was disappointing. I suspect they expended more effort on it than any of the others in the series, but the material simply wasn’t good enough to be stretched to that length. Meet the Sniper, OTOH, was genius at about a third of the length.

• skinlo says:

I couldn’t disagree with you more, it was the best one so far for me.

10. Dances to Podcasts says:

The shot where the camera goes into the body of the heavy to show the glowing, beating heart reminded me of this:

That’s right. Meet the medic is gaming’s Citizen Kane.

11. EBass says:

I thought Meet the medic was 2nd best after meet the spy, with meet the sniper a close third.

12. Bhazor says:

Agreed about the worsening material, for me it just breaks the internal logic of the setting too much(why can organs heal/regenerate but not ribs?) I think their humour is becoming increasingly broad and gag heavy at the loss of subtlety and character like in the Heavy, Engineer and Sniper videos. Just look at the change between Portal 1 and 2 for example.

If they made Episode 1 the cute zombine bit would probably be replaced with a ten minute humourous monologue about something wacky.

• Pointless Puppies says:

No offense, but you’ve got the most contrived complaints I’ve seen regarding the video. The Heavy’s, Sniper’s, and Engineer’s Meet the Team shorts were ANYTHING but “subtle”. I suggest you go watch them again. They’re significantly shorter, but that doesn’t in any way mean they’re more “subtle” and have more “character”.

As for the “LOLOL RIBS DON’T GET HEALED WITH MEDIGUN, HORRIBLE LOGIC VALVE LOLOL” bit, that’s the worst strawman I’ve read in weeks.

13. Blob-World-Eye-Weary says:

Man now I want a SPY doorstop with a button on the cig when push he starts screaming kill me! I need to buy this now, hurry up valve!

14. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Quite an interesting post. It’s one of those example of overthinking, I think. Now the final Meet the Medic makes a lot more sense.

Good to have the Spyhead explained there also. Hope to see him crop up in some more places.