Lend A Few Squid To Octodad 2

By Alec Meer on July 12th, 2011 at 1:00 pm.

I wish he was *my* dad

Oh, Octodad. Your mere existence makes me happier than I could ever truly describe. So happy, in fact, that I’m willing to break the unofficial ‘no posting about Kickstarter projects unless/until there’s playable proof of concept’ RPS rule. Octopad, I think it’s safe to say, has very much proved itself. As any game simulating the life of an octopus who is also the father and husband in a human family naturally would.

So what comes next? Well, some money, hopefully. The devs deserve it. And once they have that money, they can make Octodad 2: bigger, better, octopusier. Rather than going down the Octodads route, they’re exploring more of the strange, wobbly life of the original Cephalopod patriarch.

Here’s the announcement video, which ends on a (mercifully unanswered) question than conjures frankly distressing mental images. PROTECT THE INNOCENT:

Planned release date is about a year from now, on PC and Mac, hopefully with a bit of Steam love.

And here’s the Kickstarter page, which as well as funding OD2′s development includes some frankly brilliant rewards for those prepared to lay down more significant sums of money. I seriously want the rather lovely Octodad t-shirt, so have thrown down for that, but if I somehow had $100 to burn I’d totally want the Octodad statue. If I had $1000, I’d want the custom-made Octodad costume:

Only I’d ask that it be tailored to fit my cat.

They’re after $20k by August 10, and they’re $6000 in already. You know what to do.

Oh, and just to remind ourselves of the collapsing majesty of Octodad the first:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Alehkhs says:

Ow, my sides.

No, really: no more puns like that.

2. CMaster says:

Loving father, caring husband, secret octopus.

Cracks me up every time.

3. Nero says:

I just have a few things to say about this news.

woop woop woop woop woop woop woop woop

4. Oozo says:

Brillant news.
    Still… was the original “Octodad” ever really finished? Last time I played it, it was chocke-full of cliff hangers and “There will be inserted a level here” kind of moments.

Which does take nothing away from its brillance of course. I just would have expected a more rounded version of the first game, instead of a sequel. But then again, it’s from the minds who came up with “Octodad”, so I’m probably not one to judge their ways…

Also: Game Face!

5. Daiv says:

POOR FACE!

6. Alexander Norris says:

So wait; does that mean that you’ll post about any Kickstarter (for a PC game, natch) that does have a playable proof of concept out?

• Harlander says:

Where P = a Kickstarter funded project, C = it has a playable proof of concept and R = a RPS post about it

P & ~C -> ~R, but not necessarily P & C -> R

• Alec Meer says:

In theory. If it’s any good. The key thing is we can’t in good conscience tell our readers to give money to something that a) has a serious risk of not happening or b) a serious risk of being a bit rubbish or otherwise not as described.

I know Kickstarter has some decent protections for funders, but if we repeatedly point our readers’ wallets at things that don’t work out one way or another, we’re undermining their trust in us. It’s a tough one, especially when some hitherto unheard of KS projects do look so very tasty.

• Wunce says:

@Harlander: Good use of formal logic there, if only more people understood it because it clears up any vague issues in an easy to comprehend format.

• Pwnedge says:

Let P = {Kickstarter funded projects}, C = {Projects with playable proof of concepts}, R = {Projects RPS posts about}
      Axiom: P∩R ⊆ P∩C

• drlemon says:

Nooo! More puns! Less math!

7. SilverSilence says:

I would be all over this if paypal was an option :(

8. MiniTrue says:

I’m so glad they’re making this game. Because I’d like to be, under the sea, in an Octodad’s garden in the shade.

9. Creeping Death says:

Octodad is one of those games that I’m really glad exists, but just seems so damn WEIRD that I’ve never actually tried playing it xD Glad to see they are making another one.

Also Alec, I think you should update this page tomorrow with their new current total funds, to see if the RPS community boosts it significantly or not

10. djbriandamage says:

The word “octopussier” makes me snigger.

Snigger! heeheehee

11. matty_gibbon says:

Obligatory staring eyes tag request.

12. Ian says:

I never played Octodad (yet) but “Loving father. Caring husband. Secret octopus.” is still my favourite game tagline.

• DK says:

It’s the drawing of the Octopus Family with the Human-Octopus disguised father that makes the Octodad 2 trailer awesome.

Loving Father, Caring Husband, Secret Human. Sapiendad.

13. Zogtee says:

Slap some polish on the first game, sell it on Steam for a few bucks, make money?

• Daiv says:

At the height of the Steam Summer Sale frenzy of 2011 I would have spent $2.50 on a photograph of a boiled egg.

• phlebas says:

You should have waited until a couple of days later when photographs of a boiled egg were on daily special at $1.25.

• Zogtee says:

Well, I would buy it on Steam and I’m sure others would too. It seems like an obvious source of income that has been ignored or forgotten. I have actually played it, so I know that it would require some extra spit and polish, but not a crazy amount. Certainly doable.

For the record, I would buy Vlambeer’s games too, if they were available on Steam. Super Crate Box is fantastic and Radical Fishing too.

14. ResonanceCascade says:

Oh, Octodad. You were lovely, but I think you’ll remain a one night stand.

15. Prince says:

I don’t care if it’s utterly unplayable – Octodad is the best gaming character ever!
    Methinks the devs could make a small fortune by going into merchandising instead of programming. I’d love to have t-shirts, plushies, mugs, vibrators…

Comment on this story