Russian In: Red Orchestra 2 Screenshots

By John Walker on July 12th, 2011 at 3:48 pm.

Snowball fight over there!

Also in new screenshot news come these images from Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad. Due out 30th August, the sequel from Tripwire boasts improved multiplayer, and a Stalingrad campaign using the multiplayer maps, which will let you play as either the Germans or the Russians – two sides that don’t get much attention in first-person gaming. You can see the latest images below, along with a peak of the Rising Storm mod that Tripwire are sponsoring.

Edit: It’s a game. Okay. The PRs tell us these are brand new shots, but it turns out that Quintin hacked their phones and got them a couple of weeks ago. But at least two of them ARE new! You have to figure out which ones.

Here are the RO2 shots:

And here are the bonus Rising Storm images:

, , , , .

1. Boozebeard says:

I can’t help but feel this exact article was posted before.

How dare you get me excited about new screenshots when they are in fact old screenshots.

• kennedy says:

Run! they’ve obviously changed something in the matrix.

• Dana says:

The 3rd from the top, with 4 german soldiers is new.

• Monkey says:

MP44 with bayonet is overkill surely, and the other guy needs a magazine in that MPwhatdoyoucallit (forget the number on that one)

• Dana says:

MP-40, and it has one, look closer :D

• Commisar says:

to think, this game only costs $40

• jackflash says:

Pretty sure he actually did mean the shot of the MP44 with the bayonet, not the MP40.

• Monkey says:

Yes the MP44 (left side) has a bayonet, HAHA take my assault rifle stabby stabby.
      The guy on right foreground with the MP40(?) is magazineless, but hey he may not have a magazine to hand, he may be about to throw it at someone. Or looking for a second MP40 then go Clint Eastwood stylee.
      “Second rate punk huh?”

• Gaytard Fondue says:

Not a StG 44 though. It’s a Mkb 42.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

Click on the picture to enlarge it. there IS a magazine in that MP-40.

2. squirrel says:

More interesting to play as a starving German soldier to struggle in his last few days in Stalingrad.

3. Alexander Norris says:

30th of August? I thought it was due much later than that. D:

What’s happening with Rising Storm, then? Do we know how much it will cost and when it’s out?

• Premium User Badge Petethegoat says:

I could be wrong, but I’m under the impression that it’s just a mod, albeit it one sponsored by the dev team. So, hopefully free, although I wouldn’t object to paying for it. No idea when it’s out though.

• ScubaMonster says:

Graphics look better than the first though. So if it started as a mod, it’s using a new engine.

• Monkey says:

Is it not Unreal Engine 3? Probably just nicely shaded with more tropical shiz

• paterah says:

Red Orchestra 2 is using a heavily modified Unreal Engine 3 and tbh from the gameplay vids I have watched (and I’ve watched many) it looks MUCH better than the first game. Rising Storm is a mod for RO2, as some might know Tripwire started from the modding scene and therefore heavily supports the modding community, they are working closely with the team behind Rising Storm which is composed of some of the most acclaimed modders for the first game.

• Eidolon94 says:

If Tripwire considers Rising Storm to be OK, it’ll be released as a free mod. If they think it’s great, it’ll get a commercial release with most of the profits going to the modders. At least that’s how I understood it.

4. Bweahns says:

There’s a couple of new screenshots. I just want to play the game already dag nam it! I’ve been too long without a multiplayer FPS I actually want to play. Thanks to mod and map support this game should tide me over as long as there is a player base.

5. Monkey says:

A most excellent ensemble of hats, i raise mine at theirs

6. Nick says:

Yes, this has been posted before.
    To clarify.. on RPS.

Its clearly Quinns fault, good that you got rid of him.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

Except there are some new screens here that arent in the other post.

• Nick says:

about 2.

• John Walker says:

I’m blaming their PR, who said that none of these had been online anywhere yet.

I mean, maybe I could have checked, but I TRUSTED THEM.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I knew we got rid of the wrong guy. Walker has to go. And Meer. And that Rossignol character.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

It’s obvious. These screenshots really weren’t anywhere on the internet, but Quinns nabbed them from Tripwire’s servers via his phone hacking shenanigans.

Also, unknown to the unsuspecting Jim &c, Quinns is still around the RPS. I had a glimpse of him in the ‘About Us’ section…

• Nick says:

Bring back Karen, thats what I say.

• rammjaeger says:

Now be fair Walker – the press release we sent out said there were 4 brand new screenshots, and listed them specifically :) Those 4 new shots were released last Friday at a press event in SF, but I don’t think any of the journalists noticed they had a disk with exclusive new screenies on them. The other shots were released a week earlier at an event in Prague. But since RPS were the only site cool enough to notice those were out and post them up, we included them as well.

7. frenz0rz says:

The third screenshot reminds me of this old overly-dramaticised classic: http://www.g4g.it/phpnews/images/Enemy_Territory_Quake_wars_pc_demo_01.jpg

• Echo Black says:

That’s a great reminder not to trust PR shots. Maxed ETQW doesn’t even look CLOSE to that, I like it but it’s quite an ugly game

8. cpy says:

I cant help get rid of the feeling like this game is from 2004-2005 :(

• GraveyardJimmy says:

Except the original was on the unreal 2k4 engine (so 2004) and this game, its sequel, its running on (a heavily modified) UE3. UT3 was released late 2007, so I dont know why you seem to think this is a 6 or 7 year old game.

• Rii says:

Yeah some of these shots do look very Source-ish. But whatever, shinies aren’t going to make or break this game.

9. AsubstanceD says:

It looks dirty and harsh, just like war! I like the style, I hope it won’t share all the effects that all other FPS’ have incorporated to make them look like films. RO had the best war atmosphere thanks to style and gameplay, keep the cinematic away!

10. Shadrach says:

Pretty amazing to see how far Rising Storm has gotten already!

11. Bungle says:

I’m going to pass on BF3 and get this game instead. I can already see the unwashed masses playing CoD and BF3 together this winter while people in the know quietly gather in HoS servers and tear it up.

12. mr_notorious says:

Ah yes, a proper PC shooter, and perhaps the only one this year. Traditional dedicated server both in hosting and configurations, mod tools out of the box & in the hands of the talented, and Steamworks integration, because Steam is not just a digital distribution which single handed kept the PC platform alive, but a massive community. BF3 doesn’t got shit on RO2.

13. GenBanks says:

All I want to know is ‘when can I preorder’?

14. Thants says:

It looks like every other WW2 game I’ve ever seen. Which is fine, if it plays well.

• Superbest says:

RO isn’t really special for its looks. It really is “just another WW2 game, yawn” thematically. The gameplay itself is where it really shines. Not sure quite how to the describe it, but it’s pretty slow and strategic, and felt like a much more realistic experience compared to more mainstream shooters with their philosophy of all action, all the time.

I guess RO just gives you lots of time and opportunity to nervously hide in a corner and desperately, worriedly debate what to do to survive another minute, which I found quite enjoyable.