Deus Excess: 30 Mins Of Human Revolution

By Alec Meer on July 13th, 2011 at 9:44 am.

See what happened to the last guy who watched 30 straight minutes of trailers?

We’re in a for heck of a show today, ladies and gentlemen. It’s done eight minutes! It’s done twelve minutes! But can it go thirty whole minutes of in-game footage without stopping? We haven’t seen a promotional campaign like this before, ladies and gentlemen – Deus Ex: Human Revolution is trying to go all out, all the way to the top, to show you so much footage that your bruised and battered corneas weep for mercy. Here it is now, ladies and gentlemen, our new heavyweight contender, striding confidently to the ring to the accompaniment of a bombastic little number from Vangelis – it’s the one, the only Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and we’ve got thirty huge minutes of hiding and hitting to look forward to….

Courtesy of IGN. And also, on my PC at least, some manner of processed meat for companion animals.

This game is out in a month, of all a sudden. A month! How did that happen?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. starclaws says:

Too bad I don’t have the optic implants to view all this crazyness!!!

2. metalangel says:

Put all these lengthy preview videos together and will there be much in the actual game that we haven’t already seen?

3. Avish says:

someone should tell Square-Enix PR guys about this wonderful new invention called “DEMO”.

• kyrieee says:

Zing!

• Alexander Norris says:

No, they’re aware of that word. They’ve just reclaimed and rebranded it as “press preview we totally accidentally leaked.”

Also, yeesh, these videos. I played four hours of DXHR and got to just after the factory mission. I quit before wandering Detroit because I’d seen enough to know the game was Deus Ex and that I wanted it. I don’t need an hour of footage of someone else playing the game! I just need the bloody thing to come out, Square.

• Avish says:

Most of their potential customers are either not aware of this leak or don’t know where and how to get it.

An official demo on steam can do wonders to their sales (I, foe example, want to see how to porting is before I press the “PURCHASE” button ).

• Cinek says:

Valid point. As far as I wasn’t sure if I want this game – after tying out the almost-official-demo-version-from-pirate-site I run to first web store to make a pre-order.

It looks to be a great, solid RPG with very very good climate and fun to play. Maybe not as progressive and well looking as the Witcher 2 but likely: longer and also very fun to play!

• JackShandy says:

Norris, the rumour that Eidos released the leaked version accidentally-on-purpose is ridiculous. What’s the projected thought process there? “Instead of releasing a polished half-hour demo, let’s release an entire third of our unfinished game in such a way that it’ll never reach anyone but those already interested in it.”

They’re suing people they say leaked the game, anyway: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111464-Deus-Ex-Leak-Ends-in-Lawsuit

• Alexander Norris says:

Shandy: yes, I totally made that comment because I believe there is a SINISTER CONSPIRACY by SquEnix afoot, and not as a throw-away joke.

And please don’t use people’s last names as a form of address. It’s rude. :)

• JackShandy says:

No way. The Harry Potter books have taught me that the english are exclusively reffered to on a last-name basis.

4. Nighthood says:

Let’s not pretend they’ve released this for any other reason than the fact that most interested people have played the leak.

I wish more places would do PROPER demos, like the leak pretty much was.

• Eagle0600 says:

I’d rather go in fresh, with a proper copy. Same reason I’m not going to watch this, really.

• Fierce says:

I completely agree. I’m VERY interested and yet haven’t played the leak as I don’t consider teasing myself with unfinished content that I’m just going to replay at launch night with a fine tooth comb looking for what they changed as very healthy. I’m no masochist.

All these videos do is continue to try my patience with current marketing strategies revolving around carpet bombing and channel saturation. While I’m glad The Word is getting out about DX:HR, I didn’t want it to be the size of a phone-book.

I don’t even want to imagine how many results will come back if I do a Tag search for Deus Ex: Human Revolution…

• Cinek says:

- it’s actually 100% complete & ready to release. At least: in parts that are in the Demo-leak. I haven’t encountered any bug, problem or crash with this so-called leak which is a better result than many full games get these days.

5. Ian says:

Not watching lest it spoil anything. Very tempting though. :(

6. skyturnedred says:

Hmm, the videos only work halfway-through for me. So I only get like 15 minutes of video :(

7. Cerzi says:

you know what would make me feel more confident about this game? if they released some gameplay footage from the PC version for once…

I remember being excited about Bioshock as being the spiritual successor to system shock, and seeing all the xbox gameplay footage pre-release and nowt for PC. I’m really hoping DX3 isn’t to DX1 as Bioshock is to System Shock.

• Suibriel says:

It is.

• yhancik says:

It is, but at least it seems rather clear that it is.

One thing that bothered me about Bioshock is how it was lauded as OMG Incredible Revolutionary, when it was, in parts, verrry similar to System Shock, with some pretty backward elements (like the enemies running to your face).

I don’t get that OMG Incredible Revolutionary vibe from Deus Ex 3, and correct me if I’m wrong but it feels the developers are honest about the fact that they’re trying to make a Deus Ex game, taking the best of the two previous ones.
      And from what has been seen (not *cough* that I played *cough* the leak *cough cough*), it is very Deus Exy, with some graphical and (more important) AI update. And clearly not trying to do more than that. This way (and I know it’s maybe just a question of expectation/perception), it doesn’t bother, and it looks like I will enjoy playing it *cough*.

I suppose we could blame them for not aiming at being to the 2010′s what Deus Ex was for the 2000′s, but the current effort is quite good enough.

• ResonanceCascade says:

You guys are high. High I say!

Human Revolution has way more depth and freedom than Bioshock. I could even make the argument that some things about it are even deeper than Deus Ex 1 — which more than offsets the fact that a few minor areas have been dumbed-down. The level of mainstreamlining is nowhere near the jump between System Shock 2 and Bioshock.

• JackShandy says:

Human Revolution is the stuff from Deus Ex given Current-gen Polish. I’d agree that it doesn’t do much to expand on Deus Ex’s, but Bioshock’s weak point was that it actually had less complexity than system shock, so I don’t think you can say they’re the same.

8. Suibriel says:

PSST, GUYS
    THAT’S A DOOR RIGHT THERE

9. Eproxus says:

That guy talks waaay too much…

10. kael13 says:

Doesn’t Adam Jensen look a bit conspicuous with that body armour and those shades? You’d think the guards would be allll over that.

• Nalano says:

Hello, I’m a secret agent, and I appear to be lost. Could you direct me to the data core?

• Monkey says:

The Data core is down the corridor on your left, past the large vent and the guard looking into the distance, but you’re not allowed to go down there.

Oh he’s running off, strange for a guy with shades and body armour to run around everywhere, ah well probably nothing back to my looking in different directions every 15 seconds

11. Freud says:

I’ve stopped watching videos of this game. I’ve seen enough and don’t want to have seen big chunks of the game before playing it.

12. Nallen says:

How odd. I wont be watching, because I’d rather not have huge chunks revealed before I play.

Also I am starting to feel a little fatigued with the marketting, which for the game which has made me the most excited since Bioshock is not good.

13. WJonathan says:

I’ll wait for the compiled Metacritic score of the reviews of the Deus Ex previews before deciding to look at these. Then I’ll know whether or not to consider watching full gameplay walkthroughs on Youtube. I’m not going to rush into things.

• ResonanceCascade says:

FYI, the previews of the upcoming reviews of the game previews are pretty promising. You might want to check them out.

14. Magnetude says:

The marketers are getting desperate…

15. Fred Wester CEO of Paradox says:

Whoops

16. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

DXHR is precisely the sort of the game that benefits disproportionately from a demo as compared to gameplay videos. A great deal of the attraction of the game is playing it your way: choosing the augs you want, sneaking when you want to sneak, going Arnie when you want to go Arnie, exploring the areas that interest you, stacking crates to try and get onto that roof.

Gameplay videos just sell this game so short. It’s a shame.

17. deadpan says:

Releasing their demo as an illegal download was brilliant viral marketing for a game targeted at self-styled hackers and cyberpunks.

18. ademiix says:

I’m so tired of putting in my DOB to watch game trailers. As a frail old man born 01/01/1900 I just don’t have time for such crap.

19. Sardukar says:

I am now replaying Deus Ex at 2560×1600, Directx 10. It is a beautiful thing and the writing is indeed superb. I must say that I enjoyed DXHR gameplay more, though.

AND AND I felt there was more variety in DXHR gameplay. Talking your way past obstacles was doable in HR, whereas in DX you’re pretty much limited to sneak or shoot. You can also play just using cybernetics in HR, unlike DX, thanks to takedowns and easier combat-crateage.

That having been said, I’d forgotten how big Deus Ex is. I’m still in Deroit area, many hours in! Yikes!

• CMaster says:

Errrr, what? Deus Ex doesn’t go to Detroit.
      New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Vadenberg, New West Coast, Nevada, all these I remember. No Detroit though.

• Jason Moyer says:

I think he’s confusing Detroit and New York City. Which is probably like confusing London and Liverpool or something.

• Sardukar says:

Err..yes, yes he is. Side-effect of playing Deus Ex after spending way too much time with Human Revolution. Both have hotels, too! Aaand..cyberclinics! Aaaand..sewers!

DXHR Detroit is much prettier and less plagued than DX New York, even allowing for graphical updates, so I really have little excuse.

• dur4nd4l says:

Seems like good reason for excuse to me… In comparison, the NYC of DX would look more like Detroit than the Detroit of DXHR.

20. sonicblastoise says:

i’ve already preorderdded this for a reasonable price on newegg. physical copy!

though i am feeling a bit under the weather from all these previews. underweathered by previews.

i just hope it means that the game is so expansive that they can show us hours upon hours of gameplay and there will still be things left undiscovered!

21. groghog says:

Couldn’t watch, guys voice was too annoying. That inventory looks like an odd choice though

• dur4nd4l says:

Er, that’s the same inventory system used in the original game. Except for the ammo. And combining stuff… Scratch that, it’s the same system with improvements.

22. RedFaust says:

Sad that they have splitted the behaviour of opponents on the two levels ( what he is waying in the second video) to reduce the difficulty again…

We are in a modern world , its not an elevator that can reduce the communication between the ennemies -_-

23. hardband says:

In part 2 at 12:02, why is there any logical reason that the balcony has a gap in it other than player convenience?