Tech Supported: Hard Reset

By Jim Rossignol on July 14th, 2011 at 8:22 am.

Ooh, moody.
The chaps at PCG report that Polish developer Flying Wild Hog have announced their game: it’s a cyberpunk FPS called Hard Reset. The Flying Wild Hog team is made up from members of the team behind Bulletstorm (from People Can Fly), and also folks from CD Projekt and City Interactive. The game is apparently “hard dark sci-fi”, so that means plenty of references from the likes of Bladerunner to keep us interested. In fact the teaser-trailer (below) might as well be a Bladerunner game, for all the darkness and flying neon hoardings. The story is a bit more later Matrix films, however.

Flying Wild Hog explain: “The PC-exclusive title transports players to a haunting, dystopian future, with humanity on the verge of extinction, confined to its last standing city and under constant threat from the robotic hordes that aim to annihilate mankind. Hard Reset is scheduled for release in September 2011.”

__________________

« | »

, .

1. FionaSarah says:

This game sounds like a dream come true. PC exclusive, single-player-only, sci-fi, staff from PCF and CDP. It really couldn’t sound any better.

Please don’t suck, please don’t suck.

• NegativeNancy says:

It should be .com not .cam.
      But I do understand you have a reputation to uphold. ;)

2. Babachenko says:

I’m confused, I haven’t heard of this game until today and it’s being released this September?

What….?

• Jim Rossignol says:

A bit short notice, isn’t it? But not everyone trails their game for years in advance, I suppose.

• Babachenko says:

True enough, but it is surprising that they would spring a new IP so late into development and so close to release date.
      Sounds hopeful with the sci-fi setting.
      I’m a sucker for them.

Edit: I also trust CD Projekt to make a good universe to immerse myself in during the Winter.

• felisc says:

i do like this super late announcement. a bit of surprise in the “big ass games” schedule is welcome.

• Tom De Roeck says:

I dont know.. the premise sounds a bit.. cheap.
      If it involves hacking, however, then yay! then it only has to be cheap, or atleast go down in price soon, so it can contend with Deus Ex 0.

EDIT: I meant obviously only marketwise. Quality has nothing to do with it. (quality is what keeps a game alive for years)

• Wezz6400 says:

I see no mention of a publisher anywhere. Perhaps they were looking for one, couldn’t get a deal closed and ultimately decided to go self-published. Maybe the Q&A PCG will publish later this week will shed a light on that.

• Ohle says:

I’m frankly very, very excited to announce a game two months before release. Makes my job a bit easier to announce a game with an actual in-game trailer, then to have preview builds a couple of weeks later.

• Nick says:

I approve of not knowing about a game until a few months before its released actually.

• mR.Waffles says:

I appreciate that. This way we can all be pleasantly surprised, instead of suffering marketing fatigue.

• Sinomatic says:

But….but…..how am I supposed to get excited about a game without several months/years worth of teasing and eleventy squillion trailers? How do I know if I like it without having to say so on facebook?

Seriously though, not hearing about a game until its somewhat imminent is really rather lovely.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

This. More of this.

3. CyberBrent says:

Can’t wait to see more of it, that’s for sure. I’ve been hoping for more cyberpunkish games for a while now.

4. KauhuK says:

“hard sci-fi”
    “plenty of references from the likes of Bladerunner”
    “PC-exclusive”

Yes, please. This is something I’ve wanted for a long time now and I think I’m not alone with this thought.

• The Sentinel says:

You are not. Not by a long chalk. This is awesome news.

5. bigdeadbug says:

I couldn’t help thinking the guy had a plaster over one peeper before he went all creepy laser eye. Looks pretty good though, theres not enough flying cars in games anymore.

6. TariqOne says:

This being RPS, I am obliged to complain about things I know nothing about, so — Let me guess: This will be an on-rails, actiony shooter with lite RPG elements, told from the perspective of a gender-locked, dour, taciturn, bog-standard generic macho grumpyman. I’M REAL ANGRY!!

• CyberBrent says:

*sigh* probably….

• Protagoras says:

Being that Metro 2033 was basically 90% that, and was actually pretty damn good, I wonder if that constitutes as bitching.

However, I bet it’s gonna be about army men in the future fighting a robot army with the army men doing all kinds of army fetish stuff like saying “hoorah” every 2 seconds and giving each other beer enemas (enemii?), and shooting said robots in the face. Cause FPS blah something bitch bitch whine cry sniffle something pink ponycorns!

God I should play that game again…

• The Sentinel says:

A little more of that kind of humour on the recent X-com “contemporary” debacle post would have been welcome. We gamers need to laugh at ourselves more, and stop taking things so psychotically seriously.

• bonjovi says:

I wouldn’t mind a good, on-the-rail, story driven, cyber punk game

Freedom and sandbox are good an jolly, but that’s not the only way to make the game.

• DNyeEverything says:

The plural of enema is “enemata” – like “stigmata”, although like stigmata you don’t really want to have too many simultaneously.

Sadly, every new thing I read about Hard Reset takes it further away from my fond hope for a spiritual remake of Syndicate Wars (what could be a better CD Projekt?/City Interactive combo license?). Still, excitement!

• Josh W says:

That’s the impression you’ve got of rps’s comments?

What a shame.

RPS’s comments are made of us, so if it pisses you off, don’t make more of it. Talk about crap you like instead!

7. Frostbeard says:

Steampunk > Cyberpunk, but I will take what I can get. Think I will get two copies of this just because they made it PC exclusive.
    Dont go pirating this game now you hear!

[edit after the post from A. Norris]
    I should have put Victorian Steampunk. I have read The Difference Engine, but meant steam powered clockwork robots and monocles. (And pith helmets and corsets :P)

• lurkalisk says:

They are, fundamentally, rather similar. Which shouldn’t be too surprising, both having been thought up by the same guy (well, the latter by a duo). The biggest difference is that steampunk is all bronzey, and cyberpunk is all silvery and neony. Well, that and cyberpunk has a little more to say about humanity.

• Frostbeard says:

True that they are similar, and have the same “inventor”
      Just that I like the imagery and aesthetic of steampunk better. I am a sucker for a pith helmet and a corset ;) Especially the Victorian Steampunk of Leauge of Extraordinary Gentlemen and and George Mann.

[edit]
      You can argue that Jules Verne is steampunk. But at the time he was writing Science Fiction and only in hindsight does some of the books (like the Robur and Nemo ones) neatly fit into Steampunk.

• Alexander Norris says:

lurkalisk: by “steampunk” he probably means what the average person thinks steampunk is, which is steam-powered clockwork robots and monocles, not Sterling.

• Wulf says:

^^^

That’s probably Japan’s fault in part, and I love them for it.

8. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

This is a very nice surprise. And from the new kings of PC gaming in Eastern Europe, no less!

• Cinek says:

Poland is in CENTRAL Europe. Russia is Eastern Europe. France is Western Europe.

~a guy from Poland.

• choconutjoe says:

When people say Eastern Europe they usually mean east of the former Iron Curtain. It has little to do with geography really. Poland is still called Eastern Europe while Finland is Western Europe, even though Poland is further to the west than Finland.

• Ultra Superior says:

I thought Poland is half Germany / half Russia
      so – it is kinda in the middle.

• Pipster says:

chocontjoe,
      what you say about “people” meaning ‘east of iron curtain’ by ‘east europe’ is generally true.
      However the whole argument highlights an interesting controversy.

While contemporary western-Europeans and Americans (perhaps except those well versed in history) perceive Poland predominantly as “part of the ex-communist block,” for (majority of) Poles the communism period was a sort of a forced intermission between 1945 and 1989, whereas Poland is culturally quite distinct from Russia, Belarus, or even Ukraine. Before WW2 Poland was allied with Britain and France and earlier, in 18th century, the first democratic constitution in Europe was forged in this country. For that sort of reasons, Polish people may be reluctant to be seen just as “eastern ex-commies.”

9. Magnetude says:

So this is the game that screenshot was from a couple of weeks back? Looks neat.

10. Cael says:

Lots of nice ambitious games coming out of eastern europe these days.

• FakeAssName says:

who would have thought that mother Russia was hiding the salvation of PC gaming behind her iron curtain?

• Magnetude says:

Very true. I think Eastern Europe might be saving videogames.

• coldvvvave says:

Um… videogame industry is kind of dead in Russia currently, so don’t expect much.

• Melloj says:

Did someone just equate Poland and Russia? Rage.

• Zenicetus says:

Mainstream videogames may be dead in Russia (don’t know about that), but Russian developers are the only ones keeping hardcore, PC-based combat flight simulation alive.

You’ve got Eagle Dynamics (DCS Blackshark, DCS A-10c Warthog), IC Maddox (IL-2 Cliffs of Dover), and 777 Studios (Rise of Flight). That’s a whole little mini-industry right there. They may not be into FPS and RPGs like the Ukranian and Polish devs, but they sure know how to do flight sims!

• FakeAssName says:

nice to know that people still don’t read ….

the “IRON CURTAIN” people

yes Poland was “behind” the IRON CURTAIN, yes soviet Russia controlled the IRON CURTAIN, no that does not make Poland Russian.

11. Oozo says:

Are those eyes not staring enough, or what?

Btw: Sound exciting.

12. destroy.all.monsters says:

Hmm, sounds a bit more Terminator than DX from your description Jim. That said I’m so happy to see cyberpunk again after a long 10 year or so absence.

I’m hoping next week you’ll have details of Paradox’s rethink of Syndicate!

Please don’t let the Sniper in reference be what’s now been retitled as Snajper. Probably the most painful to install or play game ever.

• FakeAssName says:

I’m guessing this will be more Quake 4 than Dues EX 2 …. but who knows till more details come out.

• wodin says:

Sure I heard Syndicate was going to be an FPS…sigh…

• D says:

Starbreeze’s syndicate will be an FPS or something other than oldschool, but it’s Starbreeze so I’m sure it’ll be fine. Paradox’s Fred Wester said Right, I’d like to take a shot at an old school syndicate, Right, or something like that.

• D says:

However I’m not sure there will be details about it coming anytime soon, I’m not even sure it was confirmed as something that is definitely happening..

• sqparadox says:

Yeah, what I basically took from it was that Blade Runner’s LA and Matrix’s Zion had a baby and it’s being hunted by skynet. There really isn’t anything to hint at what the gameplay will really be like, beyond the fact it’s an FPS. That said I’m hoping for something that leans more towards free-roam RPG than corridor FPS.

@FakeAssName By Deus Ex 2 I really hope you mean Human Revolution and not Invisible War. I’d rather have Quake 4 than that pile of, well… I prefer to remember the games Warren Spector’s earlier days. Human Revolution does look awesome though, classic Dues Ex modernized… at least to me.

• FakeAssName says:

yes I was referring to Invisible war, no I was not making a positive one: that game was ass.

I actually like Quake 4, all you gotta do is not pay attention to the story and it’s an awesome game. when Quake 4 came out everyone was still on the “Hate ID because Doom 3 was more of a fast paced FPS version of Resident Evil than a HD version of Doom 2″ bandwagon, so instead of looking at it’s merits as a run and gun everyone pissed themselves because it wasn’t a HL2 clone.

it’s probably wishful thinking but I kinda want this game to be like Quake 4, if you check the place holder website for FWH it’s got concept art up for some very strog looking techno-zombie things that I really want to get in a firefight with.

the fact that they have targeted not only a PC exclusive release but a single player FPS game mode tells me that while this game may not exactly be Quake 4 HD (as if it needed it, personally I think Sikkmod detracts from the visual/atmospheric quality … not to mention adds in regenerative shields *eyeroll*), it’s definitely going to be allot like Quake 2 / Hexen 2 (and pretty much every other late 90′s FPS title).

13. Nallen says:

Sporting a want.

Which games do we have in this setting? Gotta catch em all…BASS, Bladerunner(!), DX1/2/3…some…other games? Help! (Really, please help)

• kud13 says:

well, there’s also E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, if it ever comes out…

• goosnargh says:

Syndicate, Snatcher, Shadowrun, Rise of the Dragon

• Zenicetus says:

Maybe the upcoming Prey 2, if you stretch it to include “Alien Noir” with a Blade Runnerish feel?.

I don’t think Blade Runner is technically Cyberpunk anyway,. It doesn’t have much “cyber” in the plot; it’s basically just a 1940′s detective story in a futuristic setting. Prey 2 might be like that too, come to think of it.

I’d love to see a “real” Cyberpunk game where getting deep under the hood of pervasive technology was actually anything like Neuromancer. or any of the other classics, instead of just “hacking” a computer to open a friggin’ door that blocks our access to the next shooting gallery.

• ResonanceCascade says:

“well, there’s also E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, if it ever comes out…”

Man, I wish those guys had also waited until 2 months before release to announce the game. I’ve been following that damn game forever and the devs have been almost totally silent.

14. P7uen says:

The Matrix films had a storyline!?

• Brutal Deluxe says:

Hopefully the Matrix reference doesn’t allude to trying to save a bunch of tribal yahoos in a neon discotheque in a cave.

15. Vexing Vision says:

So are you guys as excited about a Witcher2/Bulletstorm crossover as I am?

Then again, I think I’m pretty much the only one here who actually enjoyed Bulletstorm.

• wodin says:

No your not…I had loads of fun with it….pure entertainment…

• 0p8 says:

……loved bulletstorm dude
      .edit.
      and as it happens ,withcher 2 is my best game of the decade.
      so win win

16. K. says:

The PCG article calls it “dark sci-fi”, not “hard sci-fi”.

Yes, these are different genres. Contrast Matrix to Oddyssey 2001. And no, Bladerunner is neither (see: Cyberpunk).

Sorry for nitpicking, but you got my hopes up for a unique sci-fi IP instead of the continued reworking of Bladerunner, Matrix and Aliens.

• D says:

Sorry for nitpicking (ha) but I’m pretty sure Bladerunner and the cyberpunk genre can be classified as dark science fiction. But I agree that Jim made a mistake calling this stuff “hard sci-fi”

• Zenicetus says:

I dunno… can’t “hard sci-fi” also be dark and gritty? What would you call Alastair Reynolds’ “Revelation Space” book series?

For me, the “hard” in “hard sci-fi” just means that an author uses somewhat realistic extensions of physics and technology, instead of just making shit up, from scratch. You can use that science-based framework to tell a hopeful/mystical story like 2001, or very dark, gothic stories like Reynolds’ work., and the original Cyberpunk novels.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Opinions vary, but generally, yes. Hard Science Fiction is Science Fiction that goes out of its way to use plausible (or what we currently consider plausible) science and social concepts to render its ideas. However, it also offers scientific evidence to support the plausibility of these ideas. Hard Sci-Fi tends to be more successful in a “near future” setting, as the farther out you go, the more wildly you have to speculate.

So yes, a Gibsonesque Cyberpunk treatment is more likely (but not necessarily) to be hard Sci Fi, than a space opera.

Alistair Reynolds tends to push the envelope for me, but I generally give him the hard Sci-Fi nod, at least as far as space opera goes. Any SciFi that features faster than light travel (not that Reynolds does) generally fails the hard Sci-Fi litmus test on principle. A writer like Peter Watts would be a more iconic example of hard Sci-Fi.

I don’t know what this “dark sci-fi” nonsense is. You can’t swing a cat without hitting dark and gritty these days. It’s pretty much a non-distinction any more.

17. Bungle says:

Whenever I hear “PC exclusive FPS” I immediately assume the game’s development started before the genre moved over to console land. So when did they start working on this one?

• Babachenko says:

They started 13 days ago when they got together to discuss a new game idea.

• Cinek says:

Yep, than they split to make Witcher and Warzone just to re-join later on finishing a common project. Hahahhaa

18. Daz says:

Sounds great and all, but it’s a bit worrying that there was no gameplay shown in that trailer if it’s meant to be out in September.

“Please don’t suck, please don’t suck” :)

• FakeAssName says:

the environmental pans were in game and PCGamer has got screen shots of the combat, if it keeps up the smooth frame rate like in the trailer visuals should be the least of the games problems.

• D says:

I don’t think he was worried about visuals. A lot can be seen from a shoddy gameplay video that can’t be seen from “gameplay screenshots” and environmental pans.

19. Alexander Norris says:

cyberpunk FPS

Two words scientifically calculated to make me happy.

Shame the plot is more Terminator/Matrix than Snow Crash, but I’ll take what I can get. I fucking love me some cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk, and I wish there were more games in those genres.

• The Sentinel says:

hear, hear! What a lovely surprise this has been to switch on my PC to. A new SF game! This September! With Deus EX: HR and Prey 2 on the way, it’s nice to see other entries magically appearing.

• Unaco says:

Not really a shame, considering Snow Crash’s plot was in no conceivable way ‘Hard Sci-Fi’, and largely pants/nonsense.

• Thants says:

I will not stand for any Snow Crash bashing in here!

20. KillahMate says:

Deus Ex-ish maybe?

21. Ovno says:

Looking good, deus ex and then this, should be good couple of months for cyberpunk :)

22. MonkeyMonster says:

I thought his eye looked like a coin slot – like a brain based piggy bank?

23. FakeAssName says:

seriously guys, look at the screen shots: Dues Ex / Blade runner are probably the last things this thing is going to relate to.

System Shock / a Sci-Fi version of Bioshock is possible, but it’s more than likely to be an open air corridor shooter than anything else.

shit I can already predict the first pitfall this game is going to have when it comes out is gonna be consumer misinterpretation as to the nature of the game.

• Zenicetus says:

Ugh… not liking those screen shots with the guns very much. It has that console game look, with a huge health/shield meter and gun taking up a large amount of screen area. I hope they scale that down a bit. Or better yet, make it look like the kind of real floating HUD overlay you’d have with an optic implant that guy is sporting. The environments look good, but otherwise I’m not seeing much creative imagination here.

24. CMaster says:

“Hard SF”
    “Bladerunner”
    Flying cars.

Hmmm.

Still, shall await some more details with interest.

25. machinaexdeus says:

What does this game think its doing not drowning us in videos, and dev diarys for at least a year before release. I demand to be inundated with 10-30 min trailers destroying any surprise the game might hold.

• The Sentinel says:

I hear you, brother! Human Revolution has been a bloody nightmare in terms of maintaining any sense of surprise or discovery for myself. I’ve managed it so far but it’s very much like running a marathon: that finish line can’t come soon enough!

On the other hand, the lack of any news about that other game they’re supposed to be working on – the stealth one – is frustrating in the extreme.

• 0p8 says:

its refreshing to be competely surprised like this.

….” Oh btw guys, theres a pc exclusive game we’ve been secretely beavering away at, thats gonna be right up your alley, and its out in a few months”!
      w00t!!

26. Geralt says:

What type of game is this?

Linear or open world?
    Does it have missions and such? How much are they going to concentrate on the story?
    Does it have any RPG elements?
    Or is it like one of those “go from point A to point B and shoot everything” type of games?
    I certainly hope it’s not the last one because looking at the talent behind it and the great atmosphere of the locations, it would be wasted potential to just breeze past these great looking environments shooting robots.
    But I’ll wait for more information since I am pretty intrigued by this.

• bonjovi says:

now seriously, what’s wrong with corridor shooters?

bioshock, metro, dead space, half life 2?

• D says:

[Nah thats not fair, those are stellar games]… Also FEAR 1!

• Geralt says:

@bonjovi

There’s nothing wrong with those games, I enjoyed them all a lot.
      What I meant is, if this game turns out to be similar to Serious Sam, Painkiller, NecroVision, Dreamkiller etc.. that have nothing more to them than “shooting stuff” then it would be kinda disappointing because this game seem to have potential to be much more than that.

27. Nighthood says:

I was interested until they said I’d be fighting robots. robots are probably the most boring enemies in games, second only to any non-humans Crytek can come up with.

28. Khemm says:

Will it have:
    - proper FOV or at least the possibility to change it?
    - Quake-like ultra awesome keyboard/mouse controls?
    - level design that is NOT on rails? Quake 1,2, Blood, Duke 3D and other games from the late 90s are freaking sandbox titles compared to what we have on the FPS market today.

If so, I’m more than interested.

29. Olivaw says:

A PC shooter made by CD Projekt and People Can Fly guys? And it’s a hard sci-fi cyberpunk thing?

Pinch me, I’m dreaming.

30. BathroomCitizen says:

Love that HUD. Reminds me of good ol’ Dark Forces and Jedi Knight series.

31. karry says:

“The game is apparently “hard sci-fi””

Right…

“humanity on the verge of extinction, confined to its last standing city and under constant threat from the robotic hordes that aim to annihilate mankind.”

Uh-huh…

32. Neuro says:

Sign me up.

33. Marijn says:

Sorry, but it seems to me you lot are getting rather over-excited over a not very original-looking (see screenshots at VG247: http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/14/dark-rpg-shooter-hard-reset-announced/#more-186213) FPS from an unproven studio, that is announced two months before release.

Is that because it’s a PC-exclusive? Or because they used the word cyberpunk? To make the setting work, they’d need great writers, and while the dialogue in Bulletstorm was funny, it showed no sign of the intelligence you’d need for a good cyperpunk story.

Not to rain on your parades, but I’ll be very surprised if this game is anything above “merely competent”.

• Khemm says:

To be honest, you’re right. We might as well get another Necrovision, Serious Sam or something like that. Not that these games are bad, no, no, but they don’t push the genre in a new direction or are particularly memorable.
      People here might indeed hype themselves up for no reason.

34. One Million Monkeys says:

Everytime a promising game fails to deliver a ponycorn dies.
    I really hope this will not be a ponycorn killer.

35. kud13 says:

before Bulletstorm, some of these guys did Painkiller….

and I’m pretty sure a lot of the excitement here and in other corners of the internet comes from the words “PC exclusive, Single Player only” which automatically makes it highly unlikely we’re looking at a CoD clone.

I wrote this elsewhere: if you look at the screenshots, we have a health bar, a “shield/armor” bar, and what’s best described as an “energy” bar (blue). so I suspect the latter will account for some kind of RPG elements.

• Marijn says:

Well, if you’re excited about a new Painkiller-like game, more power to you, I guess…

But that does seem to contradict your hopes for something that could only be PC-exclusive in its ambition and depth. That’s why I’m not on board with all the enthusiasm here; it seems more triggered by the words “PC-exclusive” and “cyberpunk” than any real understanding about the game itself. I mean, people don’t know whether this is going to be a Deus Ex-like or a Painkiller-clone, and STILL they’re ready to unconditionally love, love, LOVE the game upon its eventual release.

I get the feeling that many here seem to think its PC-exclusivity is some sort of artistic decision that deserves blind loyalty. Really, how is that any better than console fanboyism?

Still, if the game turns out to be fantastic, I’ll eat my words and apologise.

36. BigJonno says:

I’m glad to see the cyberpunk-ness of this is getting such a warm reception from you guys. Both cyberpunk and steampunk elements crop up in a lot of games, to the point where people get sick of them, without much in the way of pure examples of either genre popping up.

37. Lucretious says:

Also, I feel like its pretty weird for an FPS to be “hard” scifi (and none of the films people referencing here are usually thought of as hard scifi, right?). A simulator or RPG, sure; but this seems just regular cyberpunk stuff.

• D says:

Yes yes, we know Jim made a mistake writing it up. Its “dark sci-fi” ITS NOT EASY WHEN THE GAME IS NAMED HARD RESET OK

• Tei says:

Frontlines is hard sci-fi. Any FPS with modern combat and a few futuristic gadgets can be described has hard sci-fi.

38. Forceflow says:

I’m sure this electronic eyepatch is just another lame way of projecting a game hud.

39. Malcolm says:

In grim darkness of the the far future there can be only rain. And neon lighting.

40. JohnnyMaverik says:

If this game ends up being bad I’m going to have to kill myself.

41. Epsz says:

Bladerunner is not hard sci-fi.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Honestly, by today’s’ mindset, it’s only the lack of technobabble explaining the tech behind the replicants that keeps it from being so.

There’s nothing inherently implausible in Blade Runner (the movie) from a modern scientific basis. Not like Faster than Light travel, in any event. The nature of human consciousness as it relates to A.I. is a fairly mundane concept in all manner of science fiction, and it’s currently more of a case of when, rather than if, as to when we synthesize human biology and intelligence. It would only take a writer with the will to make the case for the world presented in Blade Runner, to make it hard sci-fi, like Peter Watts did with The Thing.

Interestingly, it’s the social concepts in Blade Runner that seem more dated, than the scientific ones. Japanese Culture is no longer the great juggernaut it was perceived to be in the 80′s. You’d have to replace those elements with Chinese or Indian culture to make it seem more relevant.

42. Spliter says:

FPS? Check
    Sci fi? Check
    Poeple can fly? Check
    CD Project? Check
    PC exclusive? FUCKING GODDAMN FINALLY YEAH! CHECK!

I’m buying this game no matter what.

43. Paul says:

This could be awesome. Here is hoping.

44. Felix says:

Nice.
    I was just thinking recently how I need more cyberpunk in my life.

45. ColOfNature says:

Tsk. Those pesky robotic hordes and their annihilating mankind. When will they learn?

46. Napalm Sushi says:

This sounds like horrible nitpicking even to me, given how genuinely interesting this looks, but I just can’t imagine the scenario they describe producing the kind of ultra-capitalist society that the imagery seems to suggest. Gibson’s Sprawl and the Los Angeles of Blade Runner and Snow Crash were an extrapolation of current socio-political trends, particularly globalisation, but this game’s premise of humanity being mostly destroyed and the survivors retreating into a single besieged city throws a monolithic spanner into those trends, which doesn’t seem to have been entirely acknowledged.

47. Yosharian says:

It’s Blade Runner not Bladerunner

/nitpick

48. Dances to Podcasts says:

Those screenshots look kind of empty. I remember Blade Runner being more crowdy.

49. Navagon says:

It doesn’t try to hide its influences. That much is evident from even that small trailer. Whether or not that is a good thing we’ll have to wait and see.

But as with others I am tempted to get this game purely as a matter of bloody principal. More of this sore of thing, please.

50. shoptroll says:

This sounds promising. Hoping we get some more details at Eurogamer Expo and/or Gamescom. They are showing it at those events right?