Explodemon! Sees The Light

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2011 at 10:27 am.

Kick-splode!

I haven’t played well-received PSN platformer Explodemon! as yet, but I have taken note of the fact that it has the best name. Or is it just me who thinks it sounds like someone gleefully detonating Pikachu into a shower of bloody yellow bits? Now, I can also take note of the fact that, as of next month, it will be a PC game.

Curve Studios’ self-exploding minihit is due in August, though a specific date hasn’t been announced as yet. This means it’s potentially up against erstwhile peer/rival Ms. ‘Splosion Man, which may also be PC-bound. You spend ages waiting for one game starring a combustive hero, then two come along at once. TYPICAL. A few facts and some footage of Explodemon! await below. Yes, it does have an exclamation mark in its title. Yes, it does make including its name in sentences incredibly troublesome.

It says here, tattooed somehow onto my forehead when I awoke this morning, that:

The game follows the antics of the titular Explodemon, an unstable Guardian of the planet Nibia, who finds himself with the fate of the galaxy in his stupid fumbly hands when the malicious Vortex forces mount an all-out attack. His comic quest to repel the onslaught and restore peace will take him across three distinct planets over twelve levels, with new abilities and gameplay mechanics introduced throughout.

And here’s what the PSN version looks like:

Noisy!

, .

1. Vadermath says:

Gasp! Alec has finally decided on removing all the other RPS members, and posting news all by himself!

2. Lewie Procter says:

“This means it’s potentially up against erstwhile peer/rival Ms. ‘Splosion Man”
    Looks more like a MaXplosion knock off to me.

• Dominic White says:

Splosion Man and Explodemon actually started development almost exactly at the same time. When they were unveiled to the public, they’d already been in the works for some time. Unfortunately, everyone seems to think that one is ripping off the other, when that’s just not the case.

MaXplosion was a shameless ripoff, though, and needs to burn.

• theobald says:

Didnt Curve Studios pitch the idea of Explodemon to Twisted Pixel who turned them down but then ended up making Splosion Man? Or am I making this up? Could swear I read a blogpost from the developers about the whole debacle.

• Waltorious says:

@theobald:

What I heard was that Explodemon was announced first, ‘Splosionman was announced shortly afterwards, and also released first, causing everyone in the world to assume that Explodemon was a ripoff of ‘Splosionman. In reality, I think the two teams just arrived at similar ideas independently, but the Explodemon team wasn’t too happy when everyone called their game a ripoff.

Personally, I think Explodemon looks a lot more fun.

• Lewie Procter says:

Just in case there is any confusion left:

Splosion Man and Explodemon both started development before either game had been announced, I’ve not played this yet, but they look like they play fairly differently.

Twisted Pixel had pitched Splosion Man to Capcom at some point, but they self published in the end.

Capcom then brought out a game called MaXplosion which looks and plays very similarly to Splosion Man.

I was joking about this being a MaXplosion rip off.

LTK says:

This game looks like fantastic fun.

Sinomatic says:

This reminds me of playing games on my sega megadrive, albeit decidedly prettier. This is no bad thing.

5. DeathHamsterDude says:

This is good news, because I love Quips! and Aplomb!

Repartee on the other hand . . .

6. Mr_Initials says:

I kinda like the look of Msplosion man more. Also i has collectable shoes. Just what a female exploding character has always wanted.

shoptroll says:

If this were to release on the same date as (Ms.) Splosion Man, I don’t know how I’d decide between the two….

RobF says:

Oh fab. I’ll be having this.

9. Hatsworth says:

Looks more interesting than ‘splosion man to me. Devs also namedropped Treasure IIRC which is always good.