Spelunky: Now Mac Gamers Can Spelunk Too

By Lewie Procter on July 15th, 2011 at 11:11 am.

Some computers are different from other computers. If you’ve got yourself one of those Apple-flavoured PCs, then here’s some excellent news for you. Word reached us courtesy of indiegames.com that it’s now possible to play Derek Yu’s fabulous procedurally generated cave adventure Spelunky on a Mac.

Grab it here, and you too can go on a terrifying treasure hunt in a cave, but you can now use a mouse with less buttons to do it. Watch out for the traps. And spiders. And snakes. Watch out for everything.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Handsome Dead says:

oh boy

2. Wunce says:

“Watch out for everything”
    so true, even a treasure chest can kill.

3. Scythe says:

If you haven’t played Spelunky, on a mac or otherwise, do so. It is a truly excellent platformer. I died a few hundred times before finishing it, but enjoyed every moment. It’s got that Nethackian quality of killing you for any reason, including none, yet somehow draws you back in again and again.

4. grundus says:

The comments on that page go back to October 2009, this is an outrage, etc.

(‘that page’ = instructions how to install it)

5. Kriskid says:

Just wondering but did you use the wrong link?
    I think this is the one you want

A remaking of spelunky using Game Maker for mac

6. noodlecake says:

If you’re the kind of person that enjoys gaming, why would you own a mac anyway?

• Berzee says:

This has your curvy stink all over it.

• nofing says:

If you’re the kind of person that enjoys gaming, why would you own a PC (and not one of those playboxes) anyway?

• Berzee says:

If you’re the kind of person that enjoys gaming, why would you be reading the internet instead of playing games anyway?

• The Sentinel says:

Gaming transcends all platforms. ‘Real’ gamers know this.

• grundus says:

If you’re the kind of person that enjoys gaming, why wouldn’t you own a Mac? That GTA IV ICE enhancer mod video from a week or so ago was running on an iMac.

• drlemon says:

Real gamers are detetmined. I play mac games. I own a mac. It’s not that it doesn’t have the power, it’s just that less games are made for it. I got windows vista a couple of years ago just so i could play portal. Real gamers will find a way no matter what system they have, be it mac, pc, console, or iphone.

• sinister agent says:

If you’re the kind of person that enjoys gaming, would you lend me ten quid?

• brundlefly says:

Because I don’t just enjoy gaming. I enjoy having a nice OS as well. And video editing with FCP (although let’s see how all that turns out). It’s been hard to be a Mac gamer, but things are finally starting to turn around.

• Thants says:

It’s easy to be a gamer on a Mac nowadays. You can just use Bootcamp. That’s what I do.

7. JackShandy says:

Funny to heae you mention it, I’ve just been playing it obsessively. This would be a coincidence if I ever stopped playing it obsessively.

Everybody! Try out some Spelunky Mods! This one has you play as a carniverous plant, with a totally different set of abilities, items and secret things.

8. BooleanBob says:

Doo-doo-dee doooo, doo dee doodlydoo doo dee-doo-doo-doo-doo

9. abremms says:

it looks like terraria. is it terraria? if not, please elaborate on the differences!

• PleasingFungus says:

It is exactly terraria, but not at all.

Assuming you weren’t joking, checking the spelunky tag at the bottom of the post should be enough to educate you.

• sinister agent says:

Spelunky is a platformer with no real resource gathering. It’s about clearing out a level as quickly as you can and getting to the exit, not exploring.

You just collect as much gold and valuables as possible for as long as you can without dying. You start with bombs and ropes for digging and climbing, and a whip for defending yourself. You can also buy a variety of powerups (bigger jumps, climbing gloves, a jet pack, a shotgun, etc.) if you find a shop (and can afford it). There’s no inventory or item combining.

It’s divided into several worlds with (I think) four sub-levels, which are all procedurally generated each time you play.

It is hard. Extremely, painfully hard. But it is also always very fair – every single time you die, it will be entirely your fault, so you’ll never get truly frustrated with it. It’s terrifying, hilarious, and oddly humbling.

It’s very easy to get into, so I’d recommend you just get it and give it a go, to be honest.

• Berzee says:

Good thing you said, “to be honest”, or I’d have thought you were a filthy liar.

10. Wowza says:

There’s so many ways to die in this game it’s almost disturbing.

11. Thants says:

Combining a platformer with a roguelike was a really genius idea.

12. dakl says:

Great news! I’ve been wanting to play this for ages.

13. dakl says:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to save? I can’t use F1.