The RPS Social Club Returns Tomorrow

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2011 at 10:07 am.

People of Britain! It has been a proud week. The lizard-king has been ousted from his secret throne of hate, the weather has been strong and The Apprentice continues to prove that reality TV isn’t necessarily unwatchable horror-tedium aimed at morons and the intellectually lazy. We should celebrate with another RPS Social Club. This time, it’s another Southern-centric gathering of drink’n'chat, held at The Blue Post near London’s famous and famously crowded Leicester Square. Maybe you’ll see the Queen, or Ben Elton. You’ll definitely see a bunch of RPS readers and perhaps a contributor or two though – or at least you will if you make your way up to the Blue Post’s function room from 6pm onwards tomorrow, Saturday 16 July. A chum’s birthday do (the latest of far too many in recent weeks, which says far too much about the mating habits of my friends’ parents) means I won’t be attendance, but I do wish I was. Have fun!

More details in this here forum thread.

__________________

« | »

1. Ian says:

I think we need to kidnap the Hivemind and bring them oop norf for a Social Club shindig.

2. Meat Circus says:

I’ll be wearing a trench coat and brothel creepers, and will respond to the name “Sandra”.

3. Driveshaft says:

Pfft. Another get-together at the wrong end of the country. This is why we notherners hate you.

I hope you all slip on eachother’s jellied eels!

4. ShaunCG says:

I wish that I were coming up for this, but alas a recent holiday has left me more skint than a particularly skint skink.

5. G_Man_007 says:

The Lizard King is hardly out of his throne, he just got even more unpopular (how deep does that chasm go I wonder…), and his grip on one part of his diabolical fifedom has been prevented from getting tighter, but it’s still gripped. Oh, and 200+ were sacrificed in the name of the Red-Headed One.

And the Apprentice is vapid shite. If I wanted to see team-mates backstabbing, I’d be playing Kane and Lynch Dog Days MP. Or watch Coach Trip (much more interesting TV). That is all.

6. President Weasel says:

Are you sure about the Apprentice, Alec Meer? I admit I haven’t watched this series, but that’s because all the others have been unwatchable horror-tedium.

• The Sentinel says:

It’s worse than reality TV because the type of people who watch it all become armchair entrepreneurs who think they could do it properly (Ironically, a type of person Sugar would disdainfully refer to as “Knuckers”). I completed a contract with BT not long ago and thank christ for that: the constant conversations about that programme were driving me demented.

As for Sugar himself I’m not ever going to forgive him for buying the best home PC ever made in the UK, Sir Clive Sinclair’s little beauty, and turning it into poor quality shite with his very first iteration of the product. To my mind, Sugar killed the ZX Spectrum.

7. Ian says:

The Apprentice rocks, you fools.

• G_Man_007 says:

Watching a group of annoying, self-obsessed, immodest business tw*ts fuck each other over in the name of a tiny profit, all to get a minor job in the “empire” of the man who made a shitty monochrome screen email box, and sponsored a football team, and… um…, anyone? If Alan Sugar is the UK’s answer to Donald Trump, this country’s in more trouble than we think. And the US version only exists because those TV execs are really running out of ideas. Only decent thing Sugar’s done is tut in disgust when that journalist asked him a stupid question. At least he knows how to deal with idiots, I respect him for that.

• Ian says:

I’d take a minor job that gave me £250k to start my own business.

EDIT: Also, part of your previous argument was that Coach Trip is better. If you resort to “my turd is better than your turd” then perhaps less of the rant and more accepting that the majority of us like things that are, if we’re honest, shit?

• ShaunCG says:

My dad is bigger than your dad, he’s got eight cars and a house in Ireland. SING IT. My band is bigger than your band, we’ve got more songs than a touring funk band. SING IT.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Best Mclusky song ever.

• DrGonzo says:

The description he gave is completely true, and it’s exactly why I enjoy it. Also, what do you mean Sugar is somehow worse than Trump? They are both pretty vile for different reasons. But Trump is easily the most repulsive of the two.

8. Moth Bones says:

Ooh, is Alec going to the same birthday box social as me?

9. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Reality TV drama, the horror the horror. I’ll be there though probably after the RPS reader spotting paparazzi clears.

10. Binary77 says:

Just out of curiosity – do any any these RPS meets ever happen in the Midlands? I think i recall there being a Manchester one once, but i’m not 100% sure.

I’m Birmingham based y’see & i fear my missus may suspect foul play if i start going away overnight to meet strange men in far away places.

11. Lewie Procter says:

I’ll be there for this one. I’m planning to sort out another Manchester one soon.

Comment on this story