Watcha Doin’?

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2011 at 9:54 am.

Well, at least he's outdoors

It’s been a pretty dry couple of weeks for both games releases and games news, which for a games site makes it the equivalent of existing on a thin gruel made from ground-up snail shells, hoping that a good meal’s just around the corner. The traditional games Summer lull has forever been confusing – it’s not really like gamers suddenly abandon their machines for three months in favour of foot-to-ball, camping excursions and ill-advised picnics. Still, there it is.

Which begs the question – what are you playing right now? Is it any good? Do you feel like you’re just killing time/scratching at the walls until the flow of new stuff becomes thicker, or are you happy as a monkey with all the indie and retro stuff around at the moment? Anything weird’n'wonderful you reckon we’ve missed? (And don’t say Dungeons of Dredmor, I’m playing that at the moment). Hold forth!

1. Sigvatr says:

There’s been a lot of great Doom maps released over the years. The community is still very active, and the quality of maps coming out lately has been astounding. It really is a testament to how great a game it is.

Some great maps to check out:
    - Sunder
    - Deus Vult 1 and 2
    - Alien Vendetta

• diebroken says:

To add:

Scythe 1 | 2
      Memento Mori 1 | 2
      Plutonia 2
      Karma Sutra
      Hell Revealed 1 | 2
      Whispers of Satan
      Speed of Doom

(Damn, I wish I had ZDaemon installed at work now with all the WADs…)

• soundofvictory says:

Thanks for the WAD suggestions. I’ve been rocking GzDoom and Skulltag for multiplayer recently. I’ve also enjoyed recently:

-Ultimate Torment & Torture
      -UAC Ultra
      -All the community chest packs

Who cares if the game is… I don’t want to think about how old it is. It is still more fun than a lot of modern FPS.

2. skinlo says:

I am currently playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood and Bioshock 2, both bought in the Steam sales.

• Juan Carlo says:

Like most people here, I got a big ol’ back log.

I just finished Divinity 2 on nightmare as a pure warrior which took like 80 hours. I don’t know why I torture myself, but for some reason I can’t not play games on the hardest difficulty imaginable. Anyhow, it was an above average RPG for the base game, buyt the expanision kind of sucked so it was a hard slog towards the end.

I’ve also been playing games from the steam sale: Plants vs Zombies (awesome), Super Meat Boy (awesome), and I’m about to start “Still Life” (which I’ve been meaning to play for years).

But in terms of my best “recent discovery” I picked up a casual RPG called “Dangerous Highschool Girls in Trouble” that’s pretty fun. You play a girl in the 1920s and rather than fighting (like most RPGs) you and your friends will “flirt,” “fib,” and have insult battles with “enemies” on the map (which is a small town in America). It’s a very charming game with some funny writing and it’s a shame no one really seems to have heard of it. It’s a bit girly, yes, but I’m obsessed with the 1920s so having any video game set in that era (much less an RPG!) is irresistible to me.

My only complaint is that I wish they would have had a guy narrate the entire game in an old timey 1920s newscaster voice like in the trailer:

Richard Beer says:

Likewise, I just bought Bioshock 2 in the Steam sale and am trying that whilst also belatedly getting involved with Minecraft.

• MattM says:

@Juan
      I am with you on the difficulty thing. I almost always start on the hardest or 2nd hardest difficulty in RPG’s these days. I find that western RPGs are super easy on the normal difficulty if you are the type of person who likes to do most of the sidequests. I also find that they are often hardest during the first 5-10 hours. By the end of Divinity 2 I could 1 shot all the bosses with a multi arrow/power arrow combo.

3. Choca says:

Blood Bowl mainly. Getting my ass kicked by freaking dwarfs (and not dwarves, this is warhammer :o ).

• Scatterbrainpaul says:

I’ve been really tempted to buy blood bowl, still have the board game somewhere from my childhood

• Donkeydeathtasticelastic says:

I’ve only actually owned Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition for a few days and I’ve already clocked sixteen hours.

Been playing Spiral Knights, too.

• Choca says:

@Scatterbrainpaul : It’s Blood Bowl so it’s a great game but it does have some terrible flaws. I really enjoy it, though (and have been since the very first edition) because I can just get online and get a match going in five minutes. Something that is pretty much impossible to do with the board game these days.

• jon_hill987 says:

I still can’t make myself spell it any way other than Dwarves when talking about a race…

• ItalianPodge says:

Blood Bowl for me as well. I only bought it when it was in the Steam sale a few days ago but already have many hours notched up.
      Managing to get a touchdown in the first games of a campaign is a sense of achievement few games have given me recently, playing as the Dark Elves I try and suck the slower teams in towards the ball and then send a Witch Elf flying down the wing. It’s just sooo frustrating when they fallover or drop the ball though, which is what makes it so great when you make it. Starting to learn how to cover for those potential errors. Very good game.

Anyone know if the Legendary edition is compatible with the Dark Elves edition for Multiplayer?

• frenz0rz says:

Ah yes, I’m still playing a fair bit of a Blood Bowl. Was put off my clan’s elf league a little last week due to a horrendously bad run of luck, whereby I conceded on the second turn when recieving and had three of my best players out. One of whom was dead. Still, fought back with the next game in the season yesterday, and managed to scrape a draw! Wooo….

• frenz0rz says:

@ItalianPodge

Unfortunately, that would be a no. The two versions are not compatible. I wish they were, as I have a few friends who bought Dark Elves Edition but couldn’t quite be tempted to blow more money on Legendary,

LowKey says:

guys guys guys, come play in the RPS Divisions of Death for many a laugh

• ItalianPodge says:

@frenz0rz thanks very much, I have a friend with the Dark Elves version. A shame we can’t play together maybe I can persuade him to get the Legendary edition but I’m looking forward to entering The Ruthless Runners into the RPS Divisions of Death!

• Jake says:

Blood Bowl as well, took a punt on the Steam sale and I am now utterly hooked. I’m playing Skaven who are ridiculously nimble and fragile and even though everyone knows they aren’t as cool as a real Chaos god their high risk play style really appeals to me.

I’m still a rookie and make loads of mistakes, I didn’t want to join these RPS leagues until I know what I am doing but will do eventually.

• Sorbicol says:

To all the new BB players, do enter a league and get playing real people. It’s so much better than the really rubbish AI in the SP campaigns, and so much more fun. You’ll learn a hell of a lot more too, and most of the more experienced players will be willing to offer lots of advice. Checking out http://www.bbtactics.com is also very helpful as well!

4. Scatterbrainpaul says:

I only picked up one game in the sale, Kings Bounty Armoured Princess. I’d never played the series before and i’m really enjoying it. It kind of reminds me of one of my all time favourite Mega Drive games Shining Forrce

• Similar says:

I’m playing Armored Princess too. Got it from a previous Steam sale because of an RPS WIT, but first got around to trying it now. I’m nine hours into the game and it really is very good.
      Also playing some Minecraft on the side. Of course.

5. Jams O'Donnell says:

Not playing much really as I don’t have much time for gaming at the moment, but when I do game I’m digging into my Steam Summer Sale haul, specifically Frozen Synapse and Alpha Protocol, though I’m awfully tempted to switch to Call of Pripyat now I’ve finally picked it up.

I seem to be playing with my PSP more than my PC lately, because I can at least squeeze in a good hour or two over the course of a week while sitting on buses and the like, and on the PSP I’ve been mostly playing ZHP and Tactics Ogre.

(also, now I finally understand the difference, it doesn’t beg the question but merely raises it)

• MattM says:

Get the Call of Prypat complete mod first, it is good for a first play through.

6. Evil Otto says:

I’m playing the games I bought in the steam sale, Amnesia and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory in particular. Both are fantastic.

• Wunce says:

I picked Amnesia up from the sales because I wanted to scare the living daylights out of me. Unfortunately, there was a tonne of immersion breaking things I found which really ruined the scare-factor
      (e.g. enemies that can’t be avoided disappear when they walk away; when you are in a room with a monster, simply look at the wall crouched until he leaves you alone; early on hints would appear when you were about to be attacked, taking out the surprise)
      I found the storyline, exploration and puzzle solving to be the games strong points – all things you rarely hear mentioned about the game.

• thebigJ_A says:

Simply look at the wall till he leaves you alone? Sure, except when he kills you. You were in a dark room, or out of his line of sight. He couldn’t see you. When those things find you, you’re dead unless you flee fast enough and hide again. Staring at a wall doesn’t help. That’s for when you see them but they don’t see you, to keep yourself sane.

Early hints? You do know the monsters are different from one playthrough to the next, yes? Sometimes you open a door and one’s there, other times you hear it coming and have to hide.

And of course they disappear. They’re freakin’ monsters. They leave the area you’re in so you can continue. What did you do, follow them around?

You fail at horror. Don’t pick at the seams. Amnesia’s the best horror game in years.

• Donjonson says:

thebigJ_A – If it wasn’t scary for Wunce then it wasn’t scary, no need to be offended. We’re not all hard as nails no fear adventure striders. Scariest bits for me me were the invisible water things. I actually started laughing at a few points, a weird reaction to finding myself so terrorised!

• runtheplacered says:

I dunno. Didn’t sound like he was offended at what Wunce was saying. It sounds more like he was correcting Wunce on things that didn’t make any sense.

• Wunce says:

It seems that he does sound genuinely offended.
      I should clarify that the crouching in the corner worked 100% of the time for me, but perhaps I was lucky. All that matters is that at the time I thought that I was safe and hence removed any horror.

7. Turin Turambar says:

Reading A Dance of Dragons. When i finish it, i will come back to M&B Warband and Time Gentlemen, Please!.

• EOT says:

Wait…it’s out? Bollocks. I knew I should have taken up Waterstones pre-order offer (if you pre-ordered it you only had to pay something like £4 so you got the book half price).

8. airtekh says:

Well I’ve got a list of about ten games that I still haven’t played yet. Mostly stuff from 2009 or 2010 though.

I just finished the Portal 2 coop the other day at it was absolutely brilliant.

I’m about to start Splinter Cell: Conviction and also have a crack at Monday Night Combat.

9. whollyrandom says:

Oblivion, modded with OOO and the Oblivion XP Levelling mod. I may also take off the level cap at some later point; at the moment I’ve run into a slight problem in that I’m breezing through the access-to-Arcane University questline but have no money at all because none of the quest rewards give you any real reward beyond the recommendation. Curse my decision to pursue non-remunerated personal advancement!

Also, some Terraria multiplayer – lovely, lovely – and lots of Sanctum multiplayer, which is brilliant fun although I suspect I need to replace my existing, known-them-since-University-they’re-part-of-the-family friends with people who can actually bl**dy shoot.

10. J. says:

I bought Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII on the day of release, so I got those to plow through. BoD has been great fun so far. Also playing Bad Company 2, which I nabbed from the Steam sale. Got Terraria for cheap as well, but already played it “through” in a few evenings.

11. jakonovski says:

I’ve been mostly playing Rift, but tonight I’m going to start on Nexus: Jupiter Incident. Funny little space strategy, that.

12. aircool says:

Alien3 on that megadrive emulator. One of my favourite platform shooters ever.

• frenz0rz says:

That was probably the first game I’d heard that got the sound of a pulse rifle *just right*.

Tough game though.

• Mechorpheus says:

I always found that game FAR too long to handle without a save feature (when played on the actual mega-drive, naturally), and couldn’t ever get away from the fact I found the SNES version to be slightly more ambitious (butI don’t necessarily mean ‘Better’, as if anything that was even harder, and with the pseudo-open-world style I often found myself lost). I never came close to completing it on Mega-Drive. Maybe I should try again on an emulator…..

• aircool says:

The fourth levels had the most awesome graphics and audio. Thr final levels were kind of a letdown. The game was hard (especially compared to most current games), but you soon learnt where all the aliens and whatnots where hiding. Breezing through a level on brainautopilot was incredibly satisfying.

13. WMain00 says:

A mix of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and The Witcher 2. Recently reinstallled Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and Beyond Good & Evil, so I have options!

• Pointless Puppies says:

I love you just from the RCT3 mention. I don’t really get the hate for it. Aside form the kiddy art direction, it honestly was about as good a 3D transition as the RCT series was going to get.

Too bad Atari doesn’t give a shit about the series, or else we’d have something new in the series in the past 5+ years :(

• Tergiver says:

I’d love to see another Roller Coaster Tycoon. I’m a compulsive un-installer (I play way too many games to keep them around), but RCT3 has remained on my computer for years. If I’m not tinkering with it, a niece or nephew is.

14. Pike says:

Currently playing Assassin’s Creed II (from the Steam sale) and I just picked up Dungeons of Dredmor last night but haven’t gotten too far in that yet. I’m really enjoying AC2 but I was one of those strange people who actually liked AC1 (if Ubisoft hadn’t gone DRM-insane I would have purchased both AC2 and ACB at full price on release rather than picking them up for cheap in the sale).

15. Sorbicol says:

Couple of things,

Frozen Synapse which is excellent. I’m on UK server 6 if anyone fancies a challenge.
    Solium Infernum. Just getting to the backstabbing stage….
    Portal 2. Bit behind the times but picked this up in the steam sale. It was quite sublime in places, Game of the Year (so far) by a country mile.

16. Chizu says:

Picked up Dungeons of Dredmor when it came out the other day.
    Fun little rogue-like
    :V

Otherthan that, the usual man shoots in tf2 and such.

17. Handsome Dead says:

Left 4 Dead 2 because smokers are cool and i am the best smoker.

Also Steambot Chronicles because it is the best game

18. Cake Hunter says:

I just downloaded Dig-N-Rig and loved it! Spend 2 hours straight on the game, got a pile of treasure and… then the game crashed and I lost everything. TT *Use the save button!* Still waiting for Limbo.

19. Dawngreeter says:

AssBro here. Almost finished it, spent ungodly amount of time doing all the stuff I don’t need to be doing and neglected the main storyline as much as I could. I’m paranoid that some of the side missions will vanish if I proceed with the main story and I don’t want that to happen. Yes, I’m obsessive. Love the story, I liked The Truth, though AssCreed 2 had it better.

Also, been wantin’ to resub to EVE since Monday. I’ll probably do that when AssBro’s done with so that I can actually play it.

Also, DoW2:R (Doughtoor). Which I bought and installed and never once started. I wanna play it in multiplayer. I don’t think I’ll get around to it soon.

20. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I never understood why gamers -do- need a steady supply of games at such a rate.
    I mean, I understand it from a game journalist’s point of view (and moreso from a developer/publisher’s point of view), but the amount of games released is staggering as it is. Nah, a lull in the release of games is only good. Gives us time to catch a break and finish some games for once.
    Back when I only played mac games.. I actually finished all the games I played. Well, aside from Baldur’s gate and BG2 (both of which I do still need to finish).

As it is, I’ve been playing Duels of the Planeswalkers, tuning the decks I’ve unlocked fully and unlocking others. Aside from that, a bit of Borderlands, Solar 2 and I’ve started playing Planescape Torment for the very first time.

• Brutal Deluxe says:

You lucky bastard: PST is unbelievably good. It almost physically hurts whenever I try to replay it.

And I must say I agree with the need for some breathing room, especially after the summer sale. If no more games are ever released, I will still have more than enough to play through.

• Cyberwizard says:

I completely agree that a lull is good. I “restrained” (I use quotes because, is it really restraint when I already bought most everything I wanted in other sales?) myself during this year’s Steam sale and only bought 3 games, Singularity, R.U.S.E., and Terraria. Even with that, I have 134 games in my account, probably 90% of which I haven’t beaten. And that’s only what I have on Steam.

I definitely can’t keep up with game releases every week. I’ve kept up better than ever but still only have 4 games released this year (Dawn of War 2: Retribution, Homefront, Portal 2, and Terraria). I just don’t have the funds to spend on a new game every week.

So I am working through my backlog, trying to actually finish some games. Right now I’m playing Supreme Commander 2 and will probably get into Terraria soon.

• Jake says:

MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers is really good fun although I wish there were a few more options per deck

21. idiotapocs says:

Playing mostly amongst boxes of sand: San Andreas and Bully, both of them are shitloads of fun.

22. Zeewolf says:

Shift 2 on the PC. I stupidly ended up with both the 360 and PC version of this back when it was released, and played it a lot on the 360. Now recently I decided I wanted to try the classic cars dlc that EA released for free for the PC-version, so I registered my copy on Origin and downloaded that. Obviously I ended up getting hooked on the main game again. Maybe I’ll actually “win” it this time.

Also playing Drakensang: River of Time. Still not sure about it. Kinda like it, kinda… I don’t know. It hasn’t really grabbed me yet, but I see potential. But I went to great length to get the English boxed copy (it’s not for sale here), so I don’t want to give up on it just yet.

Oh, and Civilization V, in the new hotseat multiplayer mode. That’s been very fun, but now we’re in that late-game part of the game where nothing happens and we’re just waiting for me to win basically. The late game was the most important thing that needed fixing in Civ IV, but instead of fixing it they made it even less interesting for non-warmongering civs. Re-introduce global warming or something!

23. MrPyro says:

Been replaying Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, because the campaign mode is a lot of fun (shame Soulstorm wasn’t better).

I’ve got a just started run of Planescape:Torment on my laptop, but I really want to sit down and play that in big chunks so that I can keep the plot in my head, and I haven’t really had the time.

24. KauhuK says:

Crysis 2 that I got from play.com sales and Fallout NW with dlc:s and project nevada mod. Also I need to continue my clans quest to be shogunate in Shogun 2.

25. StingingVelvet says:

Playing New Vegas again from the start with Honest Hearts and Old World Blues both out or about to be out. I love me some Fallout and open-world RPGs in general and can replay them pretty much all the time.

I finished FEAR 3 and am replaying it as Paxton Fettel, which you can do. It’s really neat to play as Fettel because of the possession mechanics and such. FEAR 3 is not some amazing game but it’s a very solid shooter and plays well. Looks very console-y but also runs at 60fps maxed out, so whatever.

Bought Cthulu today on Gamersgate (DRM free!) and will probably try to fit that between New Vegas and Deus Ex 3 next month. Can’t believe Deus Ex 3 is out on just over a month! So exciting.

• diebroken says:

When you finished FEAR 3, what ‘level’ do you end with?

I’m playing through FEAR 3 now (at interval 5 ATM), and seem to spend the first 5 mins playing (read: using cover for 200 secs, spending all slow-mo time, etc – making a coffee) each interval to gain ‘points’ just to ‘level up’ (a pretty sad thing to think about really in a FEAR game…)

• StingingVelvet says:

@ diebroken
      There are 8 levels but the last one is short and mostly story-based. It is also frustrating and annoying. 1-7 are all normal though, barring a brief section with dogs in level 6. I finished the game on character level 14 I think?

And yeah, the fact they left the points and leveling mechanism in singleplayer is pretty stupid, but oh well.

26. Ian says:

Crying at the Steam sales mugging me again. :( Though only to the tune of £30 for a fair few games, so it could be a lot worse.

I’m currently getting stuck into Planescape: Torment and am about halfway through Bob Came In Pieces. Which isn’t quite what I anticipated but is good fun none the less.

27. Casimir Effect says:

Alpha Protocol and having a great time playing it. Except for the boss fights, which seems silly and unnecessary. Although being able to freeze time and plant 5 headshots into them makes it a bit more trivial.

28. el_murph says:

Just completed Minerva’s Den which was very good but am a little sad that we won’t be getting anymore Rapture for the for foreseeable future.

29. varangian says:

I moved house recently so for 6 months or so I’d been too busy to play much more than a few rounds of TF2 now and again. But now the place is sorted I decided to treat myself so I got Just Cause 2 and Portal 2. I’ve played lots of JC2 and its the one I’m enjoying most. Ignoring the main storyline and just wandering around creating mayhem has an enduring appeal.

Although I loved Portal I’m not finding the sequel that great. Too much wandering into a test room/arena, gazing around to find the magic spots where you’re allowed to create portals then implementing the necessary sequence of events to get to the exit so you can go to the next room where you gaze…

I guess it’s one of those things that worked great when it was a only a few hours of gameplay but not so much when stretched to a full length game. I’ll get through it eventually because the mad AIs are fun characters and the story element may prove interesting, but I find I can only play long enough to get through two or three tests at a go before boredom/irritation become the predominant feeling.

As for the future I’ll probably get back to buying games as they come out when, depending on how the release version pans out, the likes of Bioshock Infinite, Deux Ex Revolution, Arma III and Dead Island see the light of day. All looking good in teaser/trailer form.

• skinlo says:

I’m the other way round actually, both are good but I preferred Portal 2 by far. Just Cause 2 gets boring for me after 1 hour, you just keep having to find endless crates and blow up endless fuel canisters. After you’ve gone to the highest point and explored both sides of the mountain range, there nothing much to do except for the storyline which is crap.

30. Acosta says:

After buying 15 games in the Steam Sale, I just keep playing my uber adventure with Baldur’s Gate saga and the The Big World mod collection, which is awesome and scary at the same time. After completing the difficult and lovely Durlag’s Tower, I’m earning my fortune in Amn.

harvb says:

Currently not playing much, but when I am it’s Mount and Blade Fire and Guns of Instagib.

32. misterk says:

Starcraft 2. I resisted the multiplayer, but it has me in its terrible grasp.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Finished L’homme Chauve-Souris: Loony Bin Punch-Up t’other day, now revisiting a previously discarded Empire: Total War Warpath campaign.

Oh, and the war-themed hat simulator that must not be named.

34. Text_Fish says:

I started revisiting The Dig last night and found the atmosphere is still just as haunting as ever. The sad thing is I got up today and because I have a day off, decided I wanted to play faster games so I could fit more in to this precious timeslot. Have shooty games melted my brain? I’m afraid that may be the case.

• Brutal Deluxe says:

I’ve been re-playing the dig on scummvm on my PSP for the past couple of years. It seems to be the perfect theing to play on flights, which is the only time my PSP sees any action these days.

35. Xercies says:

Tomb Raider Underworl, damn is it a really pretty game and full of really good platformy goodness. Thank you steam sale.

36. bleeters says:

Terrania and Sanctum, mostly. So much entertainment for so little moneys.

37. BerZerK says:

I recently picked up Unreal (Gold Version) again, and by accident found out that someone made a set of high definition textures for it, making the game look a lot nicer (hard to believe really).

38. phenom_x8 says:

allready at the witcher2 2nd chapter now,great game,plenty of choices, and can’t wait to replay it with different choice.Btw, I get it by borrowing and installing my friend’s copy,is that considered as pirating?
    Oh,yeah just downloading arma2 free recently!awesome game,just DL the scenario and you’ll get hours of fun! guaranteed!

• Kyrelle says:

Um. Yes. Yes, it is. *facepalm*

• phenom_x8 says:

Damn, I knew it! Thanks for the answer kyrelle, gonna buy it at GOG I guess!

• sinister agent says:

I lend about half the stuff I’m not using to friends. I don’t see why games should be an exception, especially if it means they end up liking it so much they buy their own copy. Sheesh.

• phenom_x8 says:

@sinister
      That’s what I was thinking before, I borrowed it, not steal it and my friend lend it wholeheartedly! It is him who has it!
      But, I’m gonna buy it to show some support at CDPR!

39. jack4cc says:

tf2. What else is there ?!

• phenom_x8 says:

care to trying ARMA 2 free already?? DL the client then DL the custom scenario SP mission or Campaign at armaholic.com. Dont forget to grab the create pbo tool there to extracting and creating .pbo campaign file into individual SP mission because ARMA 2 free are not supporting custom campaign yet!

40. Ginger Yellow says:

Picked up Hegemony Gold last night, having meant to try it for ages and loving the demo. Played till 2am. Great stuff – I love the ebb and flow of it. Still getting my head around some of the mechanics though.

41. BwenGun says:

Replaying Fallout New Vegas with a few mods, principally Project Nevada and a few cosmetic changes to make the Strip feel more vibrant and alive. I also installed the New Vegas Bounties, which was a surprisingly good questline, even if it mostly boiled down to whittling away at the targets health and trying not to get one-shotted by the later ones.

42. torchedEARTH says:

Dungeons of Dr… oh, I feel shame now. What a shame I feel.

I’m playing Batman: Arkham Asylum again. It’s bloody awesome.

43. jon_hill987 says:

Magic the Gathering Online.

The Commander format has got me back into it again. Such a money sink though…

drewski says:

Dungeons of Drednor, Fallout 2, Civ IV.

And, erm, Scribblenauts.

45. Deano2099 says:

Just one level left to do on Desktop Dungeons (Gorgon in Crypt). Also been playing Dawn of War 2: Retribution, which I got in the Steam sale expecting to mostly play single-player, but am addicted to The Last Stand.

Plus Heavy Rain on the PS3.

46. The Sentinel says:

I like these dry spells. Like everyone else I’ve got a backlog of games I’ve been meaning to play. for instance I’ve been playing GTA IV. I bought that at Christmas there (Steam sale, natch) but it took me six months to get around to it. It’s not bad. Not as good as San Andreas or Vice City – R* seem to have sucked all the madcap fun elements out in favour of something supposedly grander – but it’s still decent. If ever a game needed a Gouranga bonus, this is it.

I’ve also just battered my way through X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse. I’m a large fan of the X-Men generally so it’s curious I’ve waited this long to install the game I’ve owned for months now. Got from the start to beating Apocalypse in two days flat – really enjoyed myself, too. Lots of geeky marvel X-Men references and ‘intertextuality’, if you like that sort of thing, and the game’s a belter, too. Cyclops for the win!

In between that I’m playing odd spots of Solar 2 (not quite as good as I’d hoped, still need something to scratch that Jenova Chen Flow itch) and I finally installed The Precursors as well. Some interesting issues getting my Gamersgate version to behave itself but there’s a pretty cool game buried under all the lack of polish.

• EOT says:

If you want all that fun and sillyness back I would suggest Saint’s Row 2. A much better game in my opinion. The PC port is…eh…crap. CDProjeckt did it terribly. I would suggest getting it on the consoles if you have one.

47. Tei says:

I tried (and failed) to get back to RIFT. I finished the last Terry Pratchet book. I have a huge backlog of games, so I feel like a nuclear apocalypse survivor hidden in a bunker designed to feed 80 persons for 100 years.

48. Flint says:

Not really playing anything at the moment, though I very much wish I was. I picked up a fair few games in the Steam sale which I want to start playing (Fallout New Vegas in particular) but I’m on a holiday at the moment, away from my home gaming computer. I’ve got my DS and Pokémon White with me to provide some gaming company but I’ve not really been in a pokémood lately so I’ve not been doing anything active with it.

49. Slimu says:

Just doing my first try on Fallout (1). Nice game with some bugs, but a great summer experience. Also I started playing Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light in coop mode with a friend. Besides that, just waiting for august/september game rain.
    P.S. And fighting the good fight in TF2

50. Cunzy1 1 says:

Getting stuck into some RPGs that have waited long enough.

Away from the desktop I’ve been trying to get off of 0 Battle Points on Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I might have to fight continental fighters because players from Asia are mentally brutal.