The RPS Bargain Bucket: A Just Reward

By Lewie Procter on July 16th, 2011 at 10:42 am.

It’s another slap dash job this weekend, I’m in a hurry to catch a train to yet another RPS social, this time in the city of London. Are you coming? I’ve still had a poke around for the best deals though, so get ready to delve into the bargain bucket. Check SavyGamer.co.uk for cheap games on all formats throughout the week.

Zeno Clash – £2.81/€3/$3.75
Crazy as a boatfull of tambourines first person punch-and-kick ‘em up from Chile. Must have at this price really. Here’s a collection of thoughts from the hivemind about why it’s a lot of fun, but there is a demo right here if you want to make your own mind up.

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West – £1.19/Something similar in other currencies
Registers on Steam.
Obscene price for what is a rather fun team based shooter. If you can get together a few people to play this you’ll probably have a right laugh.

Beyond Good & Evil – £2.59/€3.24/$3.24
Michel Ancel’s brilliant action-adventure game is a thing of beauty. It’s filled with charming characters and places, and you’ll have you engage your brain to solve some of the game’s harder puzzles.

Supreme Commander – £2.49/Something similar in other currencies
Comrade Meer reviewed this one for Eurogamer way back when:

The overwhelming sense from SupComm (apart from the need to sleep for a week after a bout of it) is that its design brief was mega-war first, player sympathy second. The mega-war it gets absolutely right, but this is an RTS that could have bagged itself a 10 if it had reigned itself in a little, had tweaked its flow just enough so that there wasn’t quite so much exhausting struggle. For all its grandeur, it’ll simply feel too much like hard work for anyone who wasn’t already sold on the concept – a timeless classic should have more universal appeal. It’s a triumphant achievement nevertheless, a just reward for anyone who’s ever lost their heart to an RTS – a love letter to the fans.

Hang on, I’ve got a second screen now. Hmm, maybe I should install this again.

Deal of the week
Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII – £1.79/€1.74/$2.69
It’s a great deal even at regular price, but this double pack has got 10% off for a limited time. You can even save a bit more by splitting a GamersGate 4-Pack. Here’s wot John thought:

The level of detail is just remarkable. Not just the enemies, but the way that every bookshelf in every building has a gag written for it. Looking through people’s drawers in their houses always offers a joke. Banter between the characters is often very funny, and Cthulhu’s internal conflict over his goody/baddy confusion is lovely. Arguments between in-game characters and the narrator may not be an original idea, but it’s one likely unfamiliar to anyone who wasn’t playing games in the 1980s, and it’s done very well here. And I’m a sucker for meta gags, so seeing Cthulhu complain, “I can save any time? What is this, a first person shooter?” makes me smile.

Also of note:
Heroes of Newerth – $10
Splinter Cell: Conviction – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99

Visit SavyGamer.co.uk throughout the week for more cheap games.

__________________

« | »

1. Kaira- says:

So, does Lead and Gold have any active players anymore, the last time I checked all the servers were pretty much empty.

• Gnoupi says:

Not that I have seen.

It’s becoming hard these days to keep a community of regular people on an online FPS :/
      Section 8 Prejudice is starting to empty already. Even Brink has like 2-3 servers with people on it, most of the time.

In Steam stats, Magicka is still high in current players, Brink is already heading to the end, and Lead and Gold… not even on the list.

Team Fortress 2 was already high, but it took the high spot without problem since the F2P, and I guess it’s not helping other FPS games.

• Balhazer says:

Killing Floor had a strong community is still strong & kicking!!! plus developer support…

• Dominic White says:

Section 8 shot itself in the foot lately by offering paid map-pack DLC to an already small community. The end result is that the community just became even more fractured, and nobody could find a full game, so nobody tried anymore.

Whoever at Timegate thought that would be a good idea need slapping. They pretty much sank the game in one move. If they’d given the maps away for free, they’d have probably gotten a significant spike in sales.

• DrGonzo says:

I went back to Lead and Gold after the sale and there were a lot more servers than I had ever seen before.

• Tacroy says:

What Dominic said, exactly. I was about to buy Section 8 on the basis of TB’s “WTF is” and people on RPS talking it up and the fact that it was on sale, but then someone mentioned that there was a paid map pack DLC coming out on GFWL only and I thought “screw that, the game is going to be fractured now” and didn’t buy it.

Basically, there would have been at least one more player if they hadn’t released the map pack at all. Bad move, guys. You don’t fragment the player base when you’re already a small game.

2. johnpeat says:

Heads-up on Beyond Good and Evil – the game works fine on Vista and Win7 BUT the original DRM doesn’t.

This means that any version which still carries the DRM will NOT install without a hack/crack – last time I checked that meant only the GoG version would work without “ah harrrrr”ing….

Gamersgate only like 98/2000/XP and so I think you can assume it’s a DRM-included release and thus won’t work on Vista/W7

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Another kitten was just killed by DRM today.

Thanks for the warning.

• Fuxalodapus says:

Thanks for the DRM warning…saved me the just -buying -for -the -convenience -of -not -having -the -cd’s -in -the -drive / -no-cd -patch -hunt cost..

GoG’s version doesn’t have this problem, yeah?

• Sorbicol says:

I can attest that the GOG version of BG&E is DRM free and works on both Vista and Windows 7

• jamesgecko says:

I own a boxed copy of Beyond Good & Evil, and the “original DRM” was just a CD-check, which seems to work fine on my copies of Windows Vista/7.

• meatshit says:

I just played a bit of the steam version on 64-bit Win7 and it worked perfectly fine.

• johnpeat says:

Most online versions of BG&E (and at least some retail discs) have TAGES DRM – and it’s TAGES which can do odd things in Vista and W7.

What usually happens is that TAGES installs – decides something is amiss and uninstalls itself and the game – or just crashes repeatedly stopping you playing the game.

You’ll note that both Steam and GG say Win 98/2000/XP only – so if you run into these problems, that will be ‘tough luck’ time…

Then there are the issues with the game working on multicore processors etc. – which most people reckon the GoG version deals with rather better than the others…

• CMaster says:

All disc versions (but certainly not the Steam and GoG versions) come with an old version of TAGES. This does not work with 64 bit OSes. As a consequence, at the very end of installation, with no explanation whatsoever, the installer will vanish and delete all installed files.

3. Colonel J says:

Also worth a mention: the original Drakensang for £1.89 / $2.73 on Impulse. Considerably cheaper than the Steam Summer Sale, glad I waited. Shame the two sequels still aren’t available outside the US.

• Bostec says:

Tempting, i’v just started to play Neverwinter Nights 2 again, how does it fair up to that?

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like a total bargain for a bit of a hidden gem!

• d32 says:

Wow! Thanks for this.

• Colonel J says:

Not played NWN2 so don’t know how it compares. Had a brief go with Drakensang and it feels like a party-based, more old school RPG version of Oblivion. Lots of NPCs & side quests. Dialogue and voices are a bit clunky but the game engine and production values seem quite slick. Don’t know how long the main campaign it is but it gives the impression of being a big game. Grab this while it’s on offer it looks like a bargain.

4. BirdsUseStars says:

Last time I played Lead & Gold it was utter crap and not worth the $2 I spent on it at the time. Totally uncontrollable, at least with a mouse+keyboard.

• Grey_Ghost says:

Then my guess is you were doing something wrong. That’s not to say I advocate buying L&G, as it doesn’t have much of a player-base.

5. Teddy Leach says:

I’m just waiting for Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 with the expansions to go on sale on GOG, seeing as I lost my discs years ago.

• Unaco says:

They already are. Both of them. Baldur’s Gate 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast are in a pack together, and Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal are also in a pack together. UK at least.

• Teddy Leach says:

No, I mean sale sale.

• TooNu says:

We bought Baldurs gate, tales of the sword coast, Baldurs Gate II and The THrone of Baahl for about a tenner (99kr) today from Gamestop.

We are saving it, in the wrapping, never to be played and never to be opened. Ever.

Thankfully we own all of these on CD and DVD if we ever need to play them.

6. Bilbo says:

I should come to an RPS Social. On the other hand I’d probably do a Begbie

7. Xercies says:

Damn Zeno Clash or Beyond Good and Evil, which one do I choose?

• jalf says:

Both, obviously. Do you really need to ask?

But if you *have* to pick just one, then:

- BG&E is really an outstanding game. Zeno Clash is fun and cute and interesting, but at the end of the day, BG&E is a better game.
      - On the other hand, BG&E is *constantly* on sale anywhere and everywhere. If you don’t buy it now, you’ll be able to buy it somewhere else at the same price within a month or two.
      - For BG&E I really really highly recommend the GOG version. They’ve added some wrapper utilities to fix some common bugs (with audio/video sync, in particular, which is absolutely maddening when it occurs). The downside is that GOG’s version is a few bucks more expensive. Still, the game is worth it.

• Gnoupi says:

@jalf – they actually managed to fix this sync problem? Hmm, I might have to consider buying it again.

It was quite annoying to have the graphics running at twice or more the regular speed, just because you had a cpu which was adjusting its speed.

• Vague-rant says:

Couldn’t you limit the game to one core to fix the audio sync? Been a while since I sorted mine out, but that’s what I remember. Also there were a few other tricks to “use up” any horsepower, but those always seemed a little wasteful.

• jalf says:

@Gnoupi:

Hard to say conclusively. I won’t rule out that there are systems that still have the problem even with the GOG fix. However, I’ve seen and heard of a lot of systems that had the problem when running the game plainly, but where it was solved when using the GOG version (and I can’t recall hearing of anyone who still had the problem using their version).

For those affected by it, disabling antialiasing may also help (it doesn’t matter how fast your GPU is, AA sometimes brings it out of sync) Lowering a few other graphics options may also solve it.

But buying the GOG version is definitely a good first step.

• Jason Moyer says:

I think the GoG version also has the features from the 1.01 patch (mostly more options in the config utility, as I recall) without the bugs the 1.01 patch introduced which make the game impossible to complete.

8. Xan says:

May I post my referal link for Heroes of Newerth?

referral link to make an account

IGN promo currently going, gets you some free stuff.

9. inertia says:

I played Beyond Good & Evil not too long ago. I have to say, the puzzles weren’t *that* taxing. I mean, the only time I actually got stuck was when I failed to engage my *eyes* and notice the massive missing piece I had to use to solve a particularly straightforward puzzle. Oh, and it has a *dreadful* boss battle at the end. But don’t let me put you off! It’s a delightful thing to play, really.

• 8-bit says:

dreadful boss fight? try dreadful ending full stop. its been years and I still cant get over how the story to one of my favourite games becomes so completely and utterly insane towards the end.

10. 8-bit says:

In Breath of Death VII as soon as you have the different skills down and their location in the menus just rush it, the game becomes so much better when played at a fast pace. After all, it may be a turn based rpg, but that’s no excuse for standing around thinking about what you are going to do when in the middle of a battle.

Haven’t played Cthulhu saves the world yet because I was waiting for the pc release so I will pick it up sometime next week.

11. Heliocentric says:

Much praise for conviction, the deniable ops mode (kinda like a custom scenario generator) allows you to (in single player, coop or competitively) to choose from a range of mission types(infiltration adds security lasers/cameras but needs deluxe/unlocking with achievements, a survival mission where you guard a static emp device, and the default hunter where you are just killing), environments, equipment limitations, difficulties and time limits.

It’s rather special.

• Teddy Leach says:

Agreed, while Conviction was essentially a cover shooter, Deniable Ops is a great deal of fun, even in single player.

• Heliocentric says:

Yeah, a cover shooting game, but with flanking. That’s not to suggest you can’t ninja the nearly the whole thing if you insist. But, walk into a room with 5 guys note the patrols and grab a guard and take him out, pop the other 4 with mark and execute, or just drop an emp grenade near the feet of a guard cluster wipe them out with a silenced smg when the lights come back on and then run up and punch the remaining guards on the back on the head while they inspect the carnage.

or, yunno sneak

• KenTWOu says:

Guys, if you like Conviction Deniable Ops mode you should buy DLC Insurgency map pack.

There are only 4 levels in this DLC. But each of them consists of 3 very huge zones. Each zone has 12 enemies (24 In case of an alert). And It’s pure stealth challenge to get rid of them silently (I mean only hand to hand kills) cause level design is absolutely amazing. That’s why you can do it without shooting people, without mark and execute feature, even without sonar goggles and other equipment. With randomized enemy patterns it’s endless fun!

• Heliocentric says:

Hmm, dlc has a little money off on gamersgate.

• Colonel J says:

Drat, Conviction is back to full price today, the DLC is still discounted though. The only Ubisoft & Splinter Cell game that isn’t on discount today, strange.

12. Raziel_aXd says:

A permanent ‘net connection for Conviction… Motherfu… It doesn’t register on Steam, right?

• KenTWOu says:

PC gamers playing both Assassin’s Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction with no internet connection whatsoever following the latest patches. The only time you need an internet connection is now during installation and each time you boot the game.

Now, the games will supposedly only check legitimacy over the Internet every time the game is launched, but can then be played offline.

• Raziel_aXd says:

Thanks. Another thing, does GG require anything else to install, I mean do they have their own download client to install?

Edit: From what I see on the site, they do.

• Xan says:

Gamers Gate does not have it’s own client, each game just comes with it’s own installer nothing else.

• KenTWOu says:

@Raziel_aXd

It’s required only Ubisoft Game Launcher. It is small program and small pop up window with news, twitter, Uplay achievments and other ‘social’ stuff which starts every time you launch Splinter Cell Conviction or other modern Ubisoft games (I have AC2 and Brotherhood also).

It looks like this (I can’t find a video with english version)

Actually when Ubisoft changes their DRM they updated only Ubisoft Game Launcher, so Conviction (and AC 2) could read all necessary files from Launcher folder not from Ubisoft servers.

• Raziel_aXd says:

Ok, maybe I misread this “The game is stored in the same folder/location you run the Downloader from.” I thought it refers to their client.

• Raziel_aXd says:

Thanks. Damn this whole bunch of “social” clients.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Raziel_aXd

While GOG has a download client, you are not required to use it. You are able to download games through your browser in 2GB chunks if that is your preference. I’ve tried downloading from them both ways, and have found their client leads to less corruption of files, but others may have a different experience. GOG’s client is only for downloads, you can save the files however you wish(HD, thumb-drive, CDs, DVDs) and install on any computer with a compatible OS. So if you were wondering if the GOG’s client is a sneaky form of DRM, the answer is it is not.

• Raziel_aXd says:

@Ignorant Texan
      Thanks, but this was about GamersGate, not GOG. Anyway, it seems the GG (not GOG) client is very small and unobtrusive, maybe not more than an installer. I’ll just have to cope with Ubisoft’s “social” client.

13. HexagonalBolts says:

I’d do a Renton, but we should go

• Ignorant Texan says:

Raziel_aXD
      Thank you for being polite about my obvious and blatant error in adding an ‘O” to GG in your previous post. >_< Perhaps this will remind me to drink my coffee before I spout off the next time.

EDIT- Ugh, ‘Reply Fail’. This was suppose to be posted above.

14. FriendlyFire says:

Why SupCom? Give me Forged Alliance, damnit! The expansion is way too expensive at nearly 15 bucks, but it improves on the original in nearly every possible way.

15. Moraven says:

I see that with Gamestop owning Impulse, they are allowing Steam games now.

16. the.celt says:

Ooo, I think if Cthulhu Saves the World deserves a mention then Dungeons of Dredmor deserves one by the same thinking. Great new graphical roguelike at a cheap price on Steam with an extra 10% right now. Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/ and http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/15/impressions-dungeons-of-dredmor/

• JB says:

Yeah, I was wondering where the Dredmor love was. Enjoying it a lot myself.

17. gjghost says:

GreenManGaming has 15% off some of their pre-orders – including Deus Ex HR for £24.95 and with the code GETYO-URWAN-DOUT1 you get another 20% off.

18. Buemba says:

Green Man Gaming is selling Deus Ex: Human Revolution for $28.80 with the code GETYO-URWAN-DOUT1, and you can (And in fact must) add the key to your Steam account.

• Fuxalodapus says:

Awesome! Boughteded.

Not such a loss if the game turns out to be a dud (from what I’ve seen, it doesn’t look like it will).

19. DrGonzo says:

You certainly should install Supcom again Lewie. I tried it again now I have another screen and was shocked by how little it effects the framerate. It made my geeky self feel like I was in a war room.

20. Hybrid says:

I highly recommend Zeno Clash. It’s weird and wonderful and filled with some amazing locations.

21. ocybin says:

bulletstorm is on sale today for 14.99usd over at d2d. I wonder if it registers on steam though, hmm

• malkav11 says:

No, it doesn’t. And in general games that you don’t buy on Steam won’t register there unless they are Steamworks games, in which case it will usually say something about -requiring- Steam.

22. StingingVelvet says:

It would be nice if you linked to the Gamersgate version of Cthulu/Breath as well. No DRM that way and the same price.

23. MadMatty says:

About Supreme Commander- Meer is full of shit, its superior to its sequel in everything apart from the better looking terrain in the 2, and its also the best RTS out there- unmissable at the price…. one could say the singleplayer campaign is a bit rubbish, but it absolutely shines still in mulitplayer- could hardly reccomend this more!