BIFF: Batman Arkham City Collector’s Edition

By John Walker on July 18th, 2011 at 10:36 am.

Aw, it's a romantic proposal!

“How do you feel about special editions of games, John?” the entire internet asks me at once. Well, let me answer. They’re alright, aren’t they? While I take issue with any inclusion of exclusive DLC – because that’s just so stupid it makes my ears bleed – any old guff they want to stick in an over-sized box is okay by me. And so it is that Batman: Arkham City has revealed what will be inside its bonus box. Although somewhat unofficially, as these details – as Joystiq reveal – have appeared on Gamestop and Best Buy‘s sites before any proper announcement or press release was put out. Which may also explain why no spec ed has been announced for the PC, which is obviously just an oversight by the online stores, and not Warner being stupid beyond belief.

So what do you get for the eye-blinkingly silly $99 the Americans will be asked to pay for the box? According to Best Buy, it seems to involve some sort of magic spells that will cause the game to leap from your monitor, Last Action Hero-style, into your room:

Collector’s Edition includes a premium statue, an art book, Gotham Knight animated content, early access to digital add-on content and more
- Premium statue is produced by Kotobukiya to bring the excitement of the game into the real world
- Flip through the pages of a brilliantly illustrated art book to soak up all the Arkham City content available
- Get a jump on the competition when you receive exclusive access to add-on content before anyone else
- Gotham Knight animated content brings the story to life

I’m a touch disturbed by this notion that the “animated content” brings the story to life. I don’t really want the Joker and his criminal buddies running around the Bath area. But I am absolutely taken by the incredibly sweet idea that a statue of something from the game will bring the excitement of the game into the real world.

I have this image of the marketing department sat with the statues on their desks, acting out the game with each other, shouting, “PUNCH! PUNCH! My Batman totally punched your Batman to DEATH.” Then they all stop, look into each other’s eyes, and sigh, “This is as exciting as playing the game!” It is a good image.

Quite what “exclusive access to add-on content before anyone else” means I’m not sure. Is it exclusive access, or early access? The latter I can live with. The former can bugger off. Presumably they mean “exclusive” in the same way that gaming magazines mean “exclusive” where it means… nothing whatsoever.

And maybe I’ve wasted your time and mine in telling you about this, because the bastards are only releasing the toys for the console crowds.

, , .

1. Spacewalk says:

It’s okay John, we appreciate your plight.

2. skinlo says:

At least by writing this article we can all now feel slightly annoyed and saddened by it.

Anthile says:

Gotham Knight is actually an animated movie, not unlike Animatrix, and is chronologically set between Batman Begins and Dark Knight. It’s fairly good.

• Grinnbarr says:

Is that the one that came in a pack with Batman Begins? Cos I thought it was a load of arty Batman shorts – from before he was Batman to way into his ‘career’. Can’t see how it would fit between the two films, especially considering that Joker reveal at the end of Begins.

4. Kdansky says:

99 $? For that, I could buy about ten to twenty games such as Dungeons of Dredmoor, Jamestown and all the other Indie glory of late. So it’s ether hundreds of hours of entertainment, or a dust-collector. Such a hard choice!

• Tams80 says:

You know you love dust-collectors. I’ve seen your collection…

• Kdansky says:

Actually, I threw everything like that out when I moved house, and promised myself not to buy such things any more. Owning stuff doesn’t make one happy (check SCIENCE! if you don’t believe that), and at the same time, the less you own, the easier life gets. Insurance is cheaper, moving house is a lot easier (I can fit all my stuff (excluding furniture) into a single big car), and so on. Embarrassing Batman-figurines really don’t do much for me.

5. Inigo says:

Thanks for the $99! Have a three year old anime DVD!

6. PaulOHara says:

As high of a quality Kotobukiya statues are rumored to be (and I’m sure their Batman statue is no exception), this smacks of corporate bullshit, and to not include a collector’s edition for us PC folk is quite frankly … umm, you Brits call it bollocks?

• BooleanBob says:

Not with anything like the frequency Hollywood would have you believe.

• godgoo says:

Maybe you don’t, ere in the sauf eest I call effrifing bollaaks! All day.

• Nallen says:

No, with about 10x the frequency Hollywood would have you believe.

7. mejoff says:

“Get a jump on the competition when you receive exclusive access to add-on content before anyone else”

Is there multiplayer? Cos Asylum didn’t have multiplayer and if there’s no multiplayer exactly what competition am I getting ‘a jump’ on? Are the mooks programmed not to expect me to have DLC until a while after it’s released?

8. Leman says:

There was a collectors edition of the first Arkham and im guessing not enough PC owners bought it in order to make the follow up profitable. Actually im guessing that most PC owners picked up the game through Steam sales.

Saying that the Batarang that came with the first game L.E. was God awful. Nice big box though.

9. westyfield says:

“I don’t really want the Joker and his criminal buddies running around the Bath area.”

You, John Walker, are the wrongiest wrongman ever to make an incorrect statement.

• bill says:

it would indeed be a big improvement.

Daiv says:

Watching the Batmobile jostling for road-space with over-customised boy racer rides on the A4 would be entertaining.

10. MeestaNob says:

Unfortunately, their insistence on using GFWL means I wont be getting the DLC as it comes out as I refuse to use yet another (substandard) service.

This also means I’ll have to pass on this game altogether until the inevitable Game of the Year edition comes out 18 months time, and at a budget price too. If they release the DLC on Steam like Lionhead did with Fable 3 I may consider changing my decision.

11. Bweahns says:

Damn, thought the special addition might not have windows live. Still a no sale for me.

Jackablade says:

How many pages are in this brilliantly illustrated art book and how large are they?

I do wish marketers would realise that a decent art book will exponentially increase the sales of their overpriced collectors boxes as the games art community will climb over eachother to get hold of them. There may be some mild exaggeration in that sentence somewhere, but I dare say the amount of extra sales would be worth the extra cost of making a decent quality art book. Probably.

13. Jody Macgregor says:

That alt-text up there is some of the finest alt-text I have ever read. You should be proud of yourself.

14. Inigo says:

Is that guy missing an arm or is he just trying to scratch his arse?

15. Jhoosier says:

“Is it exclusive access, or early access?”

I read it as only people who buy the collector’s edition would get early access. “Get the jump on the competition” makes me think it will be available to everybody, but the CE buyers will get to wear the sequinned batsuit a full 2 months before the plebes.

16. Abraham says:

Does it have Securom?

17. wcanyon says:

If I lived in Gotham I’d start a petition to disassemble all fun houses. You want a fun house or carnival or whatever you gotta go to Metropolis. Maybe Superman can keep the Joker in jail.

18. DOLBYdigital says:

When I first opened the article and saw the picture, I actually thought for a second there was dismemberment in the game…. A man can dream (seriously though what is up with that dude’s arm?)

On topic: I very rarely buy special editions and this doesn’t seem to have anything that would change my position… and $100… yeah right

19. Muzman says:

How does stumpy up there keep both halves of his torso so evenly developed I wonder.