Bonus Witcheriness For No-Pennies

By Alec Meer on July 18th, 2011 at 9:34 am.

Morning, morning, morning. How’s every little thing? It’s grey and dismal here, which means once again I wish to turn to a fantasy world instead of spend my every minute in such a dour country. But which fantasy world, I ask myself? For I am The Whicher. Perhaps, however, I’d be better off in the world of The Witcher. Especially as next patch for the second game promises some new adventuring for glowering hero Geralt.

The Witcher 2 version 1.3 doesn’t bear a release date as yet, but its full contents have been revealed. Whe headline feature (of many) is new quest ‘A Sackful of Fluff’, which sits in chapter two of the game and sounds a bit stealthy. Also added is support for more screen aspect ratios, an inventory storage chest in inns, better key-binding and, hilariously/terrifyingly, “Option to fist fight woman praying at a statue in Vergen has been deactivated.”

The full list of changes is below. Anything you were hoping would be addressed that hasn’t been?

1. New FREE DLC – “A Sackful of Fluff” is a new quest in Chapter 2 of the game. To start the quest, visit the eccentric
Elthon, who inhabits a solitary hut near the quarry outside Vergen. The quest will prove most rewarding to those who
demonstrate patience.
2. Game now supports 4:3, 5:4, 16:10 aspect ratios.
3. Item storage has been added. Players can now store items from their Inventory at inns. To leave items in storage or collect previously stored items, talk to innkeepers.
4. A “Junk‟ panel has been added to Inventory to provide greater clarity in item classification.
5. New menu option added in “Extras‟ – enables players to view in-game animated sequences (flashbacks, memory flashes, dreams stolen by harpies) outside of the game.
6. A “Quickload‟ option has been added under the F9 key.
7. The game’s HUD can now be hidden in order to produce HUD-free screenshots! On newly installed game copies, the option to hide/show the HUD is available by default under the ‘H’ key. Users who have modified the key assignments on their installations should go to the ‘Input Settings’ dialogue of the Witcher 2 Configuration Tool to assign a key to this option. Please note that the game cannot be played with the HUD hidden.
8. Issue involving the game not running at 2560×1440 resolution has been resolved.
9. Issues with nVidia 3D Vision technology have been resolved. Players no longer need to uninstall the related drivers.
10. Key bindings have been corrected to enable configuration of mouse buttons for use by left-handed players.
11. Assorted key binding options have been added to facilitate configuration of controls and quick access to various in-game panels.
12. Issue related to game settings being reset to defaults upon patch installation has been resolved. Patches no longer reset
game settings.
13. The configuration file is no longer over-written when the launcher/configuration tool is patched and over-written.
14. The launcher now closes while the game is being patched, thus eliminating the resulting game patching error.
15. The launcher now closes completely and no longer continues to operate in the background.
16. „Installed game version is invalid or incomplete‟ error in updater when free space on system drive is insufficient – message has been corrected to reflect more accurately the nature of the error.
17. Mutagens are now alchemy ingredients. Minor mutagens drop more frequently than do major mutagens, though the overall mutagen drop rate has been reduced.
18. Corrections have been made in the mutagen drop rate and in Thorak‟s store.
19. “Dragon‟ section of Prologue does not become available until after all assault-related sections have been completed, thereby softening the difficulty curve at the start of the game.
20. During the fight against the kayran, when the bridge collapses, a map pin appears at the end of the bridge to facilitate player navigation and quest completion.
21. Map pins have been corrected in many quests.
22. Quen Sign slightly de-buffed – Sign dissipates 20% faster after foes land a blow. Assorted minor balance issues related to this Sign have also been resolved.
23. Issue with Dragon‟s Dream bombs has been resolved. Damage to bosses from cast daggers has been reduced by onehalf.
24. Several optimization improvements have been made in the tavern in Vergen.
25. Problem with music accompanying “stealth‟ sequences has been resolved.
26. Issue related to arm wrestling Bart Bargee has been resolved. Players can no longer win coin from this character endlessly.
28. Mini-game contestants at one of the in-game taverns now switch positions correctly without blocking one another.
29. Problem involving Fenn‟s sword in combat has been resolved.
30. Problems with herbalist‟s gloves have been resolved.
31. In the Prologue, Geralt retains his steel long sword throughout, i.e., he is no longer automatically equipped with his default sword for the „Assault‟ sequence.
32. Problem with some nekkers being immortal has been resolved.
33. Issue with triggered black screens blocking game progress has been resolved.
34. Interactions no longer appear on nekker nests after these have been destroyed.
35. The “Scent of Incense” quest no longer shows up as failed after being completed successfully.
36. Sudden switch to gameplay just prior to cut scene involving Cynthia and Philippa has been eliminated.
37. Triss, Roche and Iorveth are now de-spawned before the final credits roll.
38. Guard pacing cycles have been corrected.
39. The Redanian messenger in Henselt‟s tent can no longer be killed, preventing him from re-spawning.
40. Elf woman in Vergen no longer strikes a T-pose.
41. Rotfiends feeding on corpses no longer re-spawn after corpse is burned.
42. Several fixes have been made in the functioning of in-game populaces.
43. Numerous problems with cameras in dialogue sequences have been resolved.
44. Assorted corrections have been made in dialogue sequences (including King Foltest‟s gestures on the town walls in the Prologue).
45. A progression break in the „In the Claws of Madness‟ quest has been eliminated.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Hakkesshu says:

Oh, fuck, yes, item storage. That was the single biggest problem I had with the game.

• Echo Black says:

Yeah, considering it was on the first one and was extremely useful, it’s a bit baffling it isn’t on TW2.

• VileThings says:

^ This.

• phenom_x8 says:

Yay, my problem too! I have to use the maximum weight mod to increase it until 900 so that my Geralt were able to run when arrive at flotsam !

• Cinek says:

Witcher 2 is a game of choices.
      Also in matter of inventory.

Learn to manage your inventory. It’s that simple. I completed the game twice without any cheats or storage boxes and it was perfectly playable – I really enjoyed limited inventory size. And I don’t get why almost everyone cannot understand it.

• Unaco says:

@cinek

My feelings there pretty much. Limited inventory is part of the game… it’s something your supposed to play with. Could there have been a slight tweak to the interface to make it a little easier to manage? Sure. But having to make the choices about what you’ll keep, what you’ll have to sell, what you’ll have to throw away, are part of the game.

• neems says:

I’m the same way with the Stalker games – I actually ‘enjoy’ the weight limit, it’s another element to think about, rather than just hoovering up everything in my path.

As far as TW2 goes, it’s worth having a look through your inventory from time to time, as some of the incidental stuff that you really don’t need – body parts from creatures especially – weigh a surprising amount. You may find that you’re carrying 80 lbs of Nekker teeth.

• BarneyL says:

The problem with the limited inventory is there is no indication as to what is going to be useful for crafting later in the game.
      Who would have thought that I’d have diamond dust coming out of my ears but can’t craft with it because I sold that stack of 100 oil back in chapter one and now can’t find any in chapter two? Unless you spend your time looking up exactly what you can craft with your backpack full of Kyran Testicles you need to hold on to them just in case.

• Anthile says:

Well, it’s not like in, say, Metro 2033 where you can only carry a limited amount of weapons and you have to choose wisely. In The Witcher, you can carry half a town with you but it has next to no impact on the actual gameplay. Ultimately, it just makes you run more often and wastes your time.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

I found way too many kayran testicles.

2. feffrey says:

The game almost looks playable now with that patch.

• sebmojo says:

lol nice troll bro

• phenom_x8 says:

I think he is not trolling! Who can bear to walk all the time during the game because of Inability to put off some of our item at the chest scattered throughout the game

• PoulWrist says:

I bought it at release, but haven’t actually played it much. The first patch fixed some things, but they said next patch was gonna be huge, so I waited for that, and since it changed a lot of things, I figured I’d wait till the next patch to play it, since there was bound to be some things in there that weren’t working, or other things that needed fixing.
      Since I also recently bought a 2560×1440 monitor, I have to say that the fix for the game not running at that res, even if I booted it up fine the other day to check out performance, is a welcome one.

• Unaco says:

@phenom_x8

You are carrying too much and it makes you walk, and you’re only solution is “NOT PLAY”. Here’s another little suggestion, call me crazy if you will, but how about “DROP STUFF”? Did that not occur to you?

@feffrey

Nice try at trolling. If you thought the game was unplayable, that’s your loss. It had issues, sure… what games don’t on release these days. But nothing game-breaking, nothing show-stopping. And the game and the world and the characters more than made up for any of those issues.

• feffrey says:

Not trolling at all, for me there were a lot of game stopping issues. From no sound, the stupid 3d vision driver issues, and the idiotic black bars, among lots of tiny things, it was not worth my time to play the game.
      May not be game stopping things for you, but for me I think it is one of the worst launches ever. I am sure TW2 is a great game, I loved TW1 but until this next patch comes out I’m not going to bother with it.

• DrGonzo says:

I love the game Unaco, but there were completely game breaking issues at release. It took me 3 or 4 hours to even get it to want to install correctly.

• Vandelay says:

Were things really that bad at launch? I played after the first large patch (a couple of weeks after launch, I believe,) and didn’t have a single issue. I’m kind of surprised if it was unplayable just a few days before.

• phenom_x8 says:

@ unaco
      I did knew about dropping stuff out,thanks. But, honestly I’d just love to carry the things I’ve got just in case I need it sometimes (or to sell it for more orens at local trader). :) A matter of preferences I guess!

• studenteternal says:

@feffrey:

“May not be game stopping things for you, but for me I think it is one of the worst launches ever.”

MWHAhahahahahahahahaha, hahahahaha! whew! Seriously? here is a four word rebuttal for you ‘elemental war of magic’

3. Vague-rant says:

I would’ve thought they’d put any new quests into Chapter 3. That’s the one that feels like it actually needs it.

Also, this has been around for a couple of weeks now- not complaining about “late” reporting, just noting that that may or may not mean its on its way sooner?

• bill says:

Please look up the meaning of the word “retrospective”. Thanks!

• Vague-rant says:

Wait what? (Look up where you’re actually posting)

Oh also, a Quen debuff seems pretty good. Might have to do my second play through once this is out.

• phenom_x8 says:

ha..ha.. nice trolling bill!

• bill says:

@phenom_x8:
      thanks ;-) it’s done in a loving way.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I don’t understand the complaints about Act III being “too short.” This isn’t an Elder Scrolls game, where at any point I want to be able to walk off and do whatever I want to do, devoid of context or purpose. When I reached Act III, I had a very clear picture of what needed to be done: some people needed rescuing, others needed avenging, still others needed killing, and conspiracies needed to be unraveled. Given the context of a political summit, it made perfect sense that Geralt would not have the time to do everything and had to make choices, and this served to also enhanced the momentum. I can’t stand when a game drags it’s final area out for the sake of length at the expense of pace. The Witcher 2 had a swift, enjoyable, exciting climax, and I would hate to see it stretched out and padded.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, I loved Witcher 1, but I thought its climax was dragged out WAY too long. It’s like the game had 7 different endings, one after another.

I always thought the Witcher 1′s biggest flaw was just that it’s too long. They should have cut the second to last chapter where you are suddenly transported out of town and kept everything in the city. Once you are transported out of town the tone of the game changes jarringly. It’s like being transported from what was essentially a very dark and realistic political thriller to a King’s Quest game.

I think Witcher 2 is about perfect in terms of length, though. I wish developers would get the idea of quality over quantity into their heads.

Or maybe I’m just getting old. WHile I loved super long games when I was younger, I really don’t relish the idea of playing games much longer than 35 hours anymore. Ideally I say 10-20 hours (ideally a game should be as long as a season of a Television show, I think, so about 13 hours), but most developers seem terrified of releasing games that short so they pad out running times with a bunch or tedious tasks.

4. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Game now supports 4:3, 5:4, 16:10 aspect ratios.

Better absurdly late than never, I guess.

• nafe says:

I had no idea they didn’t support that to start with. Very odd decision, but as you say – patched in later is better than never.

5. Anthile says:

There is a small mod that reduces all item weights to zero, which is what I currently use during my second playthrough. Developers need to learn that inventory management is not fun.

• Avenger says:

It is a decade old problem. I think they wanted to go with the “realistic” approach, since, being able to carry around 10 weapons, 4 full sets of armor as well as timber and iron ore abundant enough to build a ship, does kind of break the immersion. Were I developing, I know I would be tempted to do that too.

However, it is frustrating, and when things are frustrating, you should step back and let the realism die a bit.

• Quizboy says:

Before I played STALKER I would’ve agreed wholeheartedly, inventory fiddling = never fun. For some reason I find the weight management in the STALKER series really adds to the immersiveness of being this poor beleaguered filthy half-starved fucker trying to lug his meagre haul to someone who’ll grudgingly hand over a few coins for it. The Marked One/whatsisname in Shadow of Pripyat should be rifling through his bag, tossing out stuff he doesn’t absolutely need and straining to walk under the still-too-heavy load. It’s part of what his story’s about – on the other hand, it isn’t what Geralt’s is about. He’s a Witcher, he has bigger things to think about than how many nekker ears and harpy toes he can carry.

• Cinek says:

“he has bigger things to think about than how many nekker ears and harpy toes he can carry.” – that’s probably why he doesn’t take every single thing he can see in the world around him, but instead picks best and most useful stuff throwing out old junk.

• Acorino says:

But: what’s useful and what isn’t?
      Some stuff may be much more useful later on than you might expect.
      Always the problem with playing an RPG for the first time.

• royale says:

@quizboy

The reason inventory management works in Stalker is because 90% of the items serve the same purpose. I mean, yeah, it would be nice to loot and sell all the extra guns, but for the most part if you’re already carrying a shotgun, a rifle and pistol it doesn’t hurt much when you have to leave duplicate items behind.

In Witcher, there are so many different items that serve a single purpose, it’s hard to know what’s safe to dump without possibly regretting it later.

• mbourgon says:

Heck, I wound up carrying something like 50 nekker bits simply because I came across a thread talking about Nekker farming and making sure you kept enough bits because come Chapter 2 there weren’t any and you needed *something* for *some cool piece of equipment*. Dunno if I even ever got it, but I wound up hoarding things because I figured it’d come in handy (and in chapter 3, that bullvore brain certainly did)

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, I agree with the Stalker vs. Witcher comparison above. The available items for crafting are different between Acts, and you can’t know what’s coming up, or what you’ll need if you get a new recipe. So you need either a fairly massive inventory allowance, or a solution like item storage chests. Storage chests are a more elegant solution. It still means the player character can’t haul ridiculous amounts of stuff around, and a hardcore RPG’er can still choose not to use the optional storage.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I prefer the mod that simply reduced crafting material weights to .1, since crafting materials are the major source of bloat. It makes the vanilla game more manageable but it’s much less unbalancing than the “everything weighs nothing” mod. The latter sort of breaks the game in terms of how much heavy stuff you can carry to resell (which is supposed to be unprofitable for the most part, unless there’s no limit to how much you can carry), and in terms of how many traps and bombs you can then carry.

When Item storage is patched in I’ll be removing that, though. Managing limited inventories aren’t meant to be fun, they’re meant for balance reasons, and to serve as a limiter on players, forcing them to make decisions about what to carry since they cant, by design, carry unlimited everything. The crafting aspect of the game pretty much requires some sort of storage, though.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

How does storing things in your room at the inn break immersion for anyone?

• Avenger says:

“How does storing things in your room at the inn break immersion for anyone?”

Because it (more often than not) TELEPORTS your stuff to a new destination if you happen to switch inns.

6. ZIGS says:

Now it only needs a complete redesign of the interface (although mods already solved many of the issues)

• PoulWrist says:

Ooh, mods, I guess I’ll look into those, since the interface was a big WTF to me.

7. didamangi says:

“27. Option to fist fight woman praying at a statue in Vergen has been deactivated.”
    Damn it! So now we can’t see Geralt getting beat up by a woman?

• Shubb9 says:

I loaded up a patch 1.2 Vergen save ,following Iorveth’s path, and went looking for said fight to see what all the fuss was about but there weren’t any feminine fisticuffs to be found. Did anyone else spot this terrible misogyny in action and what was the reason for it? My god’s better than yours? I’ve got a girlier hairstyle than you missus?

8. TXinTXe says:

Oh how I envy you. Here in Spain it’s sunny as hell, and I hate it. You can’t be outside without risk of suffering sunburns, and it’s way tooo hot. I think I’ll refugee in some fantasy world as well…

• bill says:

In tokyo it’s also way too hot, but i can’t venture into fantasy worlds without risking toasting my PC. sigh.

• Jhoosier says:

Who the hell stays in Tokyo during the summer? Get thee to the mountains or to the beach.

I guess it’s good my calendar’s full of BBQs and beach parties, I’ll wait for the cold winter months to play this, when hopefully problems have been solved. Seriously, I can’t game in Japan during the summer, it’s just too hot inside.

9. Duffin says:

Screw this. I think I’ll get that weapon pack for Dragon Age 2 for £3.

• ZIGS says:

I heard they recently released some wicked armor for your horse in Oblivion, might as well get that too while you’re at it

• Real Horrorshow says:

Or get the Return to Karkand “expansion pack” that’s already done and will be released on day one (read: rest of game).

10. phenom_x8 says:

seems like they forget to fix potion making section so that my last ingredients automatically saved and not being reset to its default. Damn!

• sonofsanta says:

This did my head in, especially as it always wanted to use the rarest ingredients you were saving (such as Elemental Stones, waiting to be crafted into runes) instead of one of the 300 flower petals you had stuffed in every crevice.

11. Moni says:

The “Option to fist fight woman praying at a statue in Vergen has been deactivated” fix had me do a bit of research into the best patch notes ever.

Boiling Point comes up a lot with, “fixed: jaguar floats across screen at treetop level”

Minecraft had a fun one with, “zombie pigs eventually forgives”

12. Lobotomist says:

Cant wait. This is a must for a second playtrough (and increased difficulty mod)

13. sonofsanta says:

Just in time for me to… oh no wait, it’s way too late. Nvm.

TBH, as much as I loved TW2 – and I really, really did – the fact that some of this stuff is only happening 2 months later is pretty shitty. I’m all for free and continued support, but I’d prefer it if the game didn’t need this level of tweaking this far down the road… resetting the configuration options should never have happened (particularly as I rebound combat, so that always fucked me over), aspect ratios have long been whinged about, an entire category of items being hidden unless you thought to check the obscenely long All list, or more to the point, an entire category of items that had no fucking point – seriously, just replace all their drops with the equivalent in orens and save us all the hassle – nowhere to store items like the first game, so you end up lugging round twelfty hundred of every body part like some kind of grim medieval meat delivery service, just in case…

OTOH, why take out the lady fighting? Seems fitting in the world, all said, and it can’t be any more comical/atmosphere-wrecking than the gentlemen wandering around in their pants constantly.

14. Velvetmeds says:

It’s a shame the game is terrible.

• Unaco says:

And our survey said…

Wrong answer I’m afraid. It received near Universal acclaim from critics, it sold bundles, and it’s probably going to go down as something of a classic. Just coming on to a thread and saying “The game is terrible” is either plain trolling, or you meant to post this comment to the Super Meat Boy article above.

• Acorino says:

Or maybe it’s simply stating an opinion without backing it up. Yeah, it’s probably that.

• Nighthood says:

Nah, the guy’s right. It was very overhyped, had a terrible ending and very bad combat.

• Kaira- says:

Nah, the survey is right. Combat was fine, and had a nice ending.

• Wizardry says:

It’s terrible, just like most action RPGs.

• Acorino says:

TERRIBLE, IT IS!
      FINE, IT IS!

ENLIGHTENED, I AM NOT!!

• Eric says:

I actually think the combat’s pretty awesome. Tactical, challenging, fast, and viscerally satisfying. I’m hard pressed to come up with a recent action RPG whose combat I’ve enjoyed more.

• colinmarc says:

Fear, leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to….

suuuffffeerrrriiinnnnggggg

(wait, did someone actually make a yoda joke or am I reaching here)

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

Terrible game? It plays like Fable if Fable wasn’t made for people with down’s syndrome.
      For the record RPG’s without action these days might as well make a board game instead and save themselves money/time. Ooh I watched a character I have no control over kill 5 million rats during the course of 3 days. He just gained +2 dex allowing him to kill rats 1% faster. This is so mentally stimulating!

• Wizardry says:

Killing 5 million rats and gaining +2 to dexterity has nothing to do with whether a game has “action” in or not. You can force the player to kill 5 million rats to gain 2 to dexterity just as easily in an action game.

And having no control over your character? What does this even mean? Are you saying that the classic CRPGs require no input from the player?

15. DarkByke says:

I wish games could be hardcore again without people crying and getting upset. I WANNA punch some religious people praying!

16. Sidorovich says:

I’ve got the feeling that there’s a whole other game waiting for me (after completing Roche’s path in my first playthrough) if I side with the Elves. Problem is for a PC-first game, it plays remarkably like some clunky console port – a fact RPS puzzingly left out of their review. Give me a proper interface and control scheme, then perhaps we’ll talk about a second go at it.

• John P says:

There were some issues with the interface, but I wouldn’t put that down to consoles by any means. I thought controls were fine with a mouse and keyboard.

And yes, chapter 2 is entirely different depending on who you side with. Different location, different characters, different quests, different plot revelations. You really need to play it twice to get a full understanding of who’s who, and who’s behind what.

• The Colonel says:

It wouldn’t have occured to me that anyone would choose Roche’s over Iorveth’s path. Even on second playthrough I’m not sure I can stand to side with that royalist twat even though it’ll mean forever missing all that game content. :(

17. wodin says:

I grew bored in the end after the initial excitement…once I got to the dwarf hold out I lost interest…I hated the place….still far better than Dragon Age or any other fanatsy RPG of it’s ilk.

18. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I would love to know the statistics for first playthroughs in The Witcher 2, specifically regarding whether the Roche path or Iorveth path was more popular. It seemed as if all of the reviews I read referenced the Iorveth path; it wasn’t until I played through a second time that I caught the Lord of the Rings joke everyone said was so terrible (SPOILERS: it is).

At the risk of starting some kind of argument, I kind of wonder if political ideals played a part in selection. As a clandestine government agent who does whatever needs to be done to save his kingdom, Jack Bauer Roche seems to represent a more conservative angle, while Iorveth’s dream of an equitable and peaceful society seems more in line with a liberal viewpoint. That one is an underhanded torturer (the reference to waterboarding was perhaps a little too on-the-nose) and the other a reviled terrorist seem to be there to challenge the accepted notions of these archetypes in popular media and (hopefully) make the player think about the matters at hand in more depth. Or maybe I’m giving the devs too much credit.

• Grayvern says:

That may be true however it’s got Dwarfs and Elves and some choice comments that basically equate to genetic determinism.

And I thought the lord of the rings joke was knowingly terrible.

As to storage and Item weight I feel the need to say inventory management or packing for a holiday of looting and killing is a key thing we should never lose.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

For that one moment in Witcher the Second when they were talking about the 22 rings; that’s what the entire storyline of Dragon Age was like.

• The Colonel says:

Ha ha yes. Dragon Age was a bland copy of every other fantasy thing that ever made any money. Also agree about inventory. Even if in practice it’s a pain in the arse, strategy, management and a little bit of thought are always welcome in my book.

19. Brutal Deluxe says:

I got this and played it for about 3 minutes but the performance was shockingly bad. At the time I thought it must have just been that my PC was too old to handle it but maybe it was the nVidia bug mentioned in the patch notes. So I will probably take another crack at it once the patch is released.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

Make sure you turn off the ubersampling in the video options it will reduce your framerates by about 500% and you can still have antialiasing.

20. Navagon says:

That sounds like it should certainly do the trick alright. I guess I better hurry up and complete Divinity 2 then.

21. Inglourious Badger says:

Hang on. What!? Nobody else has questioned the extra mission being called “A sackful of fluff”!? I thought it was some kind of RPS jokette!

“What heroic adventure are you going on today, Witcher Geralt?”

“Why, to climb into the enormous belly-button of the ancient giant of shireton mountain and use my new inventory management system to collect a sackful of fluff!”

“Oh, right. Um, good luck with that then….”

• wodin says:

^ I like….

One day an RPG will come out that doesn’t bore me before the end…one day…

22. Brynden says:

The witcher 2 is the best game of 2011 and easily the best RPG of the year, furthermore the best in graphics as well as executions to all whom
    complain about retarded matters such as inventory space well… are simply retarded and are confusing this game with COD
    this is how a RPG should look feel and play.
    I have nothing but awe for the devs and nothing but (as Geralt would say) disdain for whoever thinks otherwise