Pay What You Want For Fotonica Download

By John Walker on July 18th, 2011 at 2:36 pm.

And no guns!

In January this year (yes, I actually checked before posting about something) Alec brought us news of Fotonica – a first-person free running game that was played via Unity in a browser. Some things have changed since then, and the game is now downloadable for Mac or Windows, playable in full screen, along with a ‘pay what you want’ offer if you’d like to give the developers, Santa Ragione, some actual real money.

You don’t have to pay what you want, either. You can just torrent either version for free, the .torrent file available directly from the site. And if you do pay, they ask that you make your payment over the £1.50/$2 mark, otherwise it’ll all get eaten up in Paypal fees.

It’s a remarkable game, and unlike anything else I’ve played. Definitely worth checking out. And then perhaps throwing money toward Santa Ragione. Here’s a trailer:

, , , , .

1. Binman88 says:

Reminds me of the VR bits in that SNES Lawnmower Man game.

Jubaal says:

It made me think of Cholo. Must be the wireframe graphics!

3. Anarki says:

They put the Mac link first before PC. Unforgivable.

• Tams80 says:

They should not worry. The punishment shall be shift and painless.

The Sombrero Kid says:

This is definitely my kind of thing.

stahlwerk says:

Looks neat, but can you talk to the geometry?

• brulleks says:

No, but you can tell it to the hand.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Has bullying Wulf turned into an RPS meme?

stahlwerk says:

What? No! I’m sorry, I didn’t intend to get into a meme-mixup, it seems the old “but can we talk to the monsters?”-meme was contaminated by the “Wulf likes talking to inanimate objects, like Stop signs”-micro-meme, like the retro(spective)virus it is.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Ah, well, sorry, not very well-versed in memes…

6. Khann says:

I’d rather pay nothing and not download it.

Hope this helps.

7. Bhazor says:

Speaking of Mirror’s Edge.

EA announced a sequel to Mirror’s Edge using the BF3 engine.

So yay!

• Pantsman says:

It’s not cancelled after all!? My joy can only be expressed in the form of dance. Just a moment.

There.

• RagingLion says:

That is also music to my soul.

• Xercies says:

YES! And then EH not more multiplayer, sometimes games are awesome being just singleplayer.

• something says:

Don’t go crazy just yet. That wasn’t an announcement of a sequel, it was some positive sounding responses to some hopeful questioning on the subject. If they’ve actually started work on such a thing, they’re keeping super schtum about it.

8. poop says:

this game looks slick as hell but the gameplay itself looks like first person canabalt :/

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Canabalt without the random generation. Works quite well.

9. Strangineer says:

This music is really really nice. Is it the from the game?

10. Pantsman says:

Is it really free running if you only run in a straight line?

• Binman88 says:

It is free running if you don’t pay for it.

• Ricc says:

It’s more than a straight line. Each level consists of multiple layers, that you can choose to traverse however you want.

It’s a one-button game, but manages to be replayable without randomly generating levels. For example, as far as I can tell, you can’t pick up all the point-bonuses in a single run.

Just as last time, going into Super Saiyan mode is great in this game. :)

• PodX140 says:

Excuse the preface, but I just Haaave to :P

As the current holder of two world records in the game (done, I promise! :P), I have to say this game is unbelieveably true to free-running. Not only is there tremendous practise involved in managing tricky jumps without smashing into things, or knee-capping yourself (Making the jump, but reducing your speed heavily. Very hard to notice you did this unless you keep a very close eye on either your speed or the bottom of the screen for blurriness). And then there is a huge aspect of route planning, and exploration. It took me a week a minimum before I found the route I wanted to take, let alone executing it properly (and then adding on another 1000 points by just better timed jumps, more time on the ground, all sorts of little things). It really is a blast, and I enjoyed it just as much as mirrors edge, if not even more (Heresy, I know).

11. Donjonson says:

Yes- you’re free to run anywhere as long as it’s straight forward and you can have any kind of graphics you want, as long as it’s wireframe.

12. Dawlight says:

I would pay a fine number of money for a hybrid of this and Trackmania. Imagine the speed of trackmania, but with the feeling of free running.

13. Synesthesia says:

nice art direction!! reminds me of my cousins playing atari with that awkward one button controller rolling a wireframe tank.

Carra says:

So if I pay $1 do they have to pay $1 to paypal?

15. Cim says:

This game is absolutely spectacular with Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. If you have 3D glasses you have to try it!

• Dominic White says:

If I win the lottery and can afford a genuinely beefy PC with a 120hz monitor, 3D vision is something I’m looking forward to. Anything with fast movement would be enhanced significantly with a bit of depth perception.

16. jameskond says:

Sure, I’ll torrent that! (to help them with their bandwidth ofc)

17. PodX140 says:

I wonder, is the “demo” version that is on Kongregate (that used to be the full game) compatible with the scores from the full version? Because if so, I still own the world record score for Cairoli Pure-Energico. A feat that took quite the time to master, but damn was it pleasing to do.

So, is that score legitimate with this new full screen version?

• Vile Vile Vilde says:

How to say this nicely.

• PodX140 says:

It’s OK, I just got the top rank back in this version too :D

I think I found the one game that I can actually manage to hold online scores in, everything else topples me in seconds.

• Vile Vile Vilde says:

How glorious for you.

While you’re Mr. Master, wouldja mind telling me, old squire, what the ‘?????’ mode is.

I can’t seem to find out.

• PodX140 says:

I did come across as an ass, didn’t I :/ I meant this is pretty much the only game that I can play competively, everything else kills me.

Well, I have no clue as to what the ????? mode is, currently I’ve only played the one map, trying to perfect it’s score to the ones place, otherwise my muscle memory goes haywire. Though, I did peek in endless and it seems to have been changed slightly, no more several tiers of platforms it seems.

• Vile Vile Vilde says:

No, not really – it’s better than me, I can’t hold any decent score in any Online game like that (except Peggle, kinda, but Peggle is Peggle.)

And alright. It’s just annoying because it looks like a gamemode, but I can’t click it. Curses.