Auto Club Revolution Beta From 25th

By Jim Rossignol on July 19th, 2011 at 7:04 pm.

Car!
To my perception, “Auto Club Revolution” sounds like some kind of political movement whereby wrongdoers and malcontents are followed by implacable robots and automatically beaten about the head with a length of something heavy whenever they act for the worse. Back on the sober roads of reality, it is actually a game about shiny cars wot go fast. Auto Club Revolution, that’s the website. That is where you apparently have limited time to sign up to the closed beta which begins on the 25th of this month.

Why would you do such a thing? Well because the game is a promising-looking online-racing thing that will allow to pimp out a garage full of cars. Eutechnyx’s Jason Collins explains: “The workshop in Closed Beta is just a flavour of the style and presentation of how players will modify their cars. When the focus and scope of testing changes more features will be added giving players even more customisation, modification and upgrade options for their cars.” And we all like options. Fortunately for us there will also be an open beta to follow.

To conclude this news post I have, for no good reason, also posted seven more pictures and a trailer of Auto Club’s shiny cars, below.

Car!
Car!
Car!
Car!
Car!
Car!
Car!
The actual reason I posted seven images is that my cursory search of the internet turned up no videos of the game in action. There probably are some, but I want to go and stand in the sunshine before I die of Being Inside For Ten Years. You’ll have to look at each of these pictures really quickly instead. Try just buzzing them past your eyes with your mousewheel… any good? No?

, .

1. Linfosoma says:

This is relevant to my interest, thanks for the post. Hopefully the physics engine will be semi-decent.

AndrewC says:

No, I scrolled down fast and it looked like the Car Rapture. I didn’t like that.

Then I scrolled up and it looked like they are falling, which was better because I prefer evil cars.

3. johnpeat says:

Firstly, claiming “console quality gameplay” isn’t going to go down well around here.

Secondly, it’s Eutechnyx who, with the best will in the world, don’t have a sterling reputation for making decent racers – from Wikipedia

1997 Total Drivin aka Grand Tour Racing 98 (PS1)
    1997 Motor Mash (PS1, PC)
    1999 Max Power Racing aka C3 Racing – Car Constructors Championship (PS1)
    1999 Le Mans 24 Hours aka Test Drive Le Mans (PS1, PC)
    1999 F1 World Grand Prix: 1999 Season (PS1, PC)
    2000 007 Racing (PS1)
    2000 TNN Hardcore TR (PS1) US only release
    2000 F1 World Grand Prix (PS1, PC)
    2002 Big Mutha Truckers (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC)
    2004 Street Racing Syndicate (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC)
    2005 Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives (PS2, Xbox)
    2005 Ford vs. Chevy (PS2, Xbox)
    2005 Big Mutha Truckers 2 (PS2, Xbox, PC)
    2006 Cartoon Network Racing (PS2) also ported to Nintendo DS by DC Studios
    2006 Hummer Badlands (PS2, Xbox)
    2006 The Fast and the Furious (PS2, PSP)
    2006 Pimp My Ride (PS2, Xbox 360)
    2007 Hot Wheels: Beat That! (PS2, PC, Xbox360, Wii)
    2008 Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli (PS2, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP)
    2009 Supercar Challenge (PS3)
    2010 Ferrari The Race Experience (PSN, Wii)
    2011 NASCAR The Game: 2011 (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
    2011 Auto Club Revolution (PC)
    2011 Ride To Hell (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

The only game in that last which was decent was Le Mans 24h and Eutechnyx did the generally shonky ports – not the nice Dreamcast original…

• Vorrin says:

Ah, there goes any hope of a nice new driving sim.

Still, didn’t have much to start with, as weirdly, whilst other obscure/hardcore simulations (ie. flight simulators) get covered a bit around here, realistic driving sims are somewhat forgotten (although it has to be said, that there’s just about a handful of decent ones anyway, and they are the same ones since ages).

• Jim Rossignol says:

I won’t hear a word against Big Mutha Truckers 2.

• Calabi says:

They cant be that bad if there still going after all this time.

• Axess Denyd says:

If by “console quality gameplay” they mean “A real competitor to Gran Turismo and Forza” then heck yeah.

The list of games they have developed in the past is…disheartening, however.

• Jason Moyer says:

The Dreamcast version of Test Drive Le Mans was glorious. It’s a shame the PC ended up getting a port of the crappy PS2 version.

Also, Nascar 2011 apparently isn’t that bad.

Malibu Stacey says:

Well if they can be at least as good as Burnout Paradise and/or Blur they’ll be doing well. I suspect not unfortunately.

However from that list they seem like the modern day version of Ocean.
      HEY LOOK WE GOT A (movie/tv/toy/brand) LICENSE GUYS. CRANK OUT ANOTHER GENERIC GAME QUICK SHARP.
      Sigh.

4. ZIGS says:

I smell another Cargasm

5. Tams80 says:

Car!?

• Shadowcat says:

It’s enough to make a cow want to stay on all fours all the time.

6. destroy.all.monsters says:

There is a stunning lack of Lenin, Trotsky (Castro, Ortega) in this game. I must protest.

7. Magnetude says:

Car! Get the ball in!

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Keep your goddamned ball away – it’ll bring the goddamned dog into the living room.

And I don’t like dogs in my excitable living room.