Relic Detail Delicious Ulthwe DLC Pack

By Jim Rossignol on July 19th, 2011 at 6:45 pm.

Mmm, too good to miss.
Ooh, I missed this last week, but PCG posted a helpful link: there’s going to be an Ulthwe Eldar DLC for Dawn Of War 2, and Relic have been busy showing off some of the models for it. I am seldom a sucker for such things, but I must admit (and don’t tell anyone else about this) to having a huge Ulthwe army of actual miniatures. Yes, the spooky space elves are to me as skaven are to Gillen. I’m sorry, but it’s true. And that means I’m going to have to have this DLC, too. Collector impulse decides for me. And, well, a man has to have some dubious pleasures if life is going to be interesting. We can’t all smoke crack.

UPDATE: Crikey, I didn’t realise it was £5. Crack it is!

, .

1. Sicram says:

While I’m an Eldar player myself… this isn’t really worth it.

2. Baka says:

In the wrong light, like in the pic above, the game really looks like Dawn of War 1.

• Iskariot says:

That is the right light ;).

I wish the gameplay was more like DoW 1. I adore DoW 1.

I bought the DOW 2 Gold edition for 5 bucks.
      I do not think it was really worth it.
      I did not finish the single player.
      And skirmish is awful because the AI is awful.
      And I miss the base building.

3. Vinraith says:

This is about the only pack of this sort I actually might consider, as the Ulthwe are easily my favorite 40K faction (though oddly the Eldar aren’t my favorite 40K army, that’d be the Imperial Guard). Still, a purely cosmetic DLC is worth very little IMO, they might get $1 or less out of me during a Steam sale.

• nofing says:

It looks pretty, but I won’t spend a penny on cosmetic DLC (and certainly not 6€), I would however gladly pay for a new race for singleplayer and last stand or a new campaign.

4. Fierce says:

Cocaine is a helluva drug…

5. Vile Vile Vilde says:

No1currs.

Ahem.

6. amandachen says:

Another purely cosmetic DLC. That’s a shame.

7. Doesntmeananything says:

We can’t all smoke crack.

8. ScubaMonster says:

Eh, only cosmetic, that sucks. I’d rather an entire new faction, but I think Relic stated they are basically through with DoW2. This better only be like 99 cents or something.

9. vodkarn says:

I could see if you got special, err, whatever the Eldar equivalent of Chaplain/Apothecary/etc player models. But just skins? Meh.

It’s what, 10 dolla- err, .. 5… pounds? Whatever 10 canadian dollars is.

10. MajorTomG says:

A purely cosmetic upgrade to a single race at £4.99. This makes Activision look generous. Love DoW2 but certainly not buying this.

11. StingingVelvet says:

Hahahaha… $7.50 for some skins? Jesus.

12. aircool says:

Always wanted 40K Skaven :’-(

• Unaco says:

There is a race known as the Hrud. They were briefly mentioned in some source material as a dangerous race in the Universe, along with Kroot and Necrons I think (before they had been introduced properly and fully). There were some similarities between them and Skaven, and, although Games Workshop themselves haven’t published anything about them, there has been a lot of fan made material using the Hrud as ‘Skaven in Space’.

But, I think Games Workshop tried to move 40K away from Warhammer Fantasy, so I don’t think they’d introduce them now, or any time, as an equivalent race to the Skaven.

• TsunamiWombat says:

The Tyranids ate them. /injoke

Come to think of it they’re probably the Tyranids.

TeraTelnet says:

There is a delicious deviant reference to the Hrud in a Ciaphas Cain novel mind you. So they MUST still exist, right??

Malibu Stacey says:

Come to think of it they’re probably the Tyranids.

Pretty much. Tyranids might not be actual rat people but there’s so much similarity they may as well be.

<3 Skaven

13. bleeters says:

I’d gleefully slop this up myself if it actually worked outside of multiplayer. I’m not exactly thrilled with the idea of playing DoW2′s painstaking online mode again. It could at least work in Last Stand mode, but no such luck.

wyrmsine says:

Orksez are da best at fightin’ an’ winnin’.

Sorry, reflex. This does seem a bit pricey, but, well, GW’s business model is predicated on offering customization at inflated prices… Jim didn’t actually say he wasn’t going to buy this, after all. Just that a little crack might make the decision easier :)

15. Creeping Death says:

Wonder if they’ll give it away free again to those that own the collectors edition, like they did with the DA skins

• kraken says:

No. They said many times free Dark Angels DLC was an one-time thing.

16. TormDK says:

I went ahead and got it to support THQ’s desire to milk the Warhammer 40K universe. We need more 40K games, so please take my monies and make it happ’n capt’n!

17. Kevin says:

Having played me a lot of DoW and DoW II multiplayer, and having a similar affinity to the Eldar as Jim has, I will admit that I have bought this skin pack.

I thought the $7.50 pack for the Dark Angels for the Space Marines was outrageous, but when I saw this, I just went: “…fuck.”

Oh and Jim, I do believe that if you have the collectors edition of Retribution, you should be getting this for free.

18. rocketman71 says:

Goddamned DLC.

• CalleX says:

DLC should be free as a sign of goodwill from developers for you for buying their game. This should simply be part of a patch.. for free!

19. Strange_guy says:

Both this and the dark angels skins look great, but I don’t think I can justify spending that much on DLC without real content, outside of games like TF2 with it’s many free updates or LoL with its F2Pness where I feel the developer has earned more of my money.

Arathain says:

Pretty Space-Ponces are all very well, but I’m more excited about Orks getting a teensy bit buffed in the multiplayer.

21. Bilbo says:

Legend! It makes me very happy that you did Ulthwé, Jim. Mrs Bilbo is all about the Ulthwé. I’m a Blood Angels man myself, always was a sucker for the death company models

22. malkav11 says:

I can’t for a single moment envision paying $1 for new skins for in-game armies I’m viewing from a sizeable zoom for the most part and which have differences only discernable to the hardcore tabletop miniatures crowd; much less $7.50 each. Still, if they can fund development of new, meaningful content for DOWII and/or further 40K games (that are good) from the sucker…I mean, loyal customers that do go in for this sort of thing, more power to them.

23. Zwebbie says:

Some of TF2′s hats go up to £7.99 and you can’t even see them yourself, it allows you to change the name of a weapon for £3,49 and gifting an item to someone else costs £1,29, so £5 for a reskin of a dozen units doesn’t sound like that much by comparison. I think it’s rather clever, actually, a lot of people are very attached to their WH40k factions, but it’s unreasonable to expect every one of them to be included in the game. Sounds like the kind of stuff DLC is invented for.

wyrmsine says:

A bit, yes, but what I’d really like to pay for is a proper army painter. What’s really disturbing is that I barely noticed “really like to pay for” used to be “really wish they’d patch in” with DoW 1…

24. wazups2x says:

I’m completely fine with cosmetic DLC because it doesn’t effect the gameplay in any way if I choose not to buy it.

25. Deano2099 says:

Nearly as good value as horse armor.

• Davie says:

This is what I was just about to say. Cripes, the pricing’s a bit silly.

• Dave Mongoose says:

Judging by the price/content ratio of some DLC, it seems horse armour is being used as a benchmark somewhere…

lowprices says:

This reminds me: I should play Dawn of War 2. Another casualty of the steam sales: Many bought, few played.

27. sonofsanta says:

For some reason, knowing you’re an Eldar player doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I was always an Alaitoc fellow myself, though.

28. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Wow. That’s as expensive as Dungeons of Dredmore was cheap.

29. MadMatty says:

I got a decent size Ulthwe Army in actual miniatures- gonna sell it tho, dont find the time to paint or play much, anymore.
    Oh yeah and this: never smoke a drug which is named after a part of your arse.

30. GingerSeniorcitizenStepchild says:

No deal. I really hope people won’t buy this at this price, cause if no one does they might come back down to earth.

31. nanophage says:

Grr…I’m going to guess I will have to wait for DOW3 for my Tau fix :(
    This DLC looks cool though. I still need to purchase the others, perhaps I’ll play through
    all of them prior to DoW3′s release.