Sneak Peek: Project Stealth

By Jim Rossignol on July 19th, 2011 at 11:50 am.

I’m not sure where the burst of attention for Project Stealth has come from, but we’ve had a few emails about it over the past few days. The fact is that game has been in development for several years now, and the last video (below) was released for GamesCom in 2009. Is there life in the old sneaker?

Yes. It does still seem to be underway. The team are still updating, and the forums are alive.

So what is it? Well, do you remember Splinter Cell’s asymmetric multiplayer? It was quite good. It pitched sneaky espionage types against heavily armed guards, making for an interesting tactical experience. And it does rather spring to mind when you read the description of Project Stealth, which is – or will be – a free, standalone UDK-powered multiplayer game:

“There are two teams with two players each: one team is characterized by heavily armored and relatively slow elite Mercenaries with powerful guns. The other team consists of high-tech, agile, atlethic and fast Spies with non-lethal weapons. The Mercs have mines, grenades, camnets, gasmask etc. and three vision modes (normal, EMF, movement detector). The Spies have got flashbangs, smoke grenades, heartbeat sensor, camo suit, noise emitters etc. and their own three vision modes (normal, nightvision, thermal vision). Mercs have a first person view and will play like a regular shooter with gadgets, while spies will have a third person view and will play more like a third-person action game.”

Needless to say, hilarity is supposed to ensue. This familiar feeling is no bad thing, either. Getting this kind of multiplayer right could be brilliant, and the game already has a busy community supporting it. We’ll look forward to seeing more as Project Stealth develops. If it develops.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Echo Black says:

This looks more than “influenced” by Splinter Cell. That footage could easily pass for SC (pre-Conviction) gameplay.

2. HilariousCow says:

I can’t hear anything.

OOOOooooooh. I see what they did there. That’s proper stealthy.

BathroomCitizen says:

Am I the only one that lately is feeling that ‘PC RESURGENCE’ in his veins?

4. Rii says:

Looks promising, particularly now that Splinter Cell has gone all Kane & Lynch on us, but no footage since 2009? Yeah… I’m still smarting from Project Offset, not gonna be holding my breath.

“Stealth” the trailer says, as the player apes Trinity from The Matrix.

Those slits aren’t nearly as cool as Fisher’s headlamp thing.

Incidentally, the Spies vs. Mercs multiplayer mode debuted in Pandora Tomorrow, not Chaos Theory.

5. HeavyHarris says:

Oh man, Chaos Theory was some of the most fun I’ve ever had on Xbox Live. Right up there with Halo 2 and SW: Battlefornt 2. Good times.

6. Grinnbarr says:

Those glowy strips on his suit look like they would make it very hard to be stealthy…

• Berzee says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Dreamhacker says:

Just like Splinter Cell then? It’s kind of a stealth game in-joke by now.

• MulleDK19 says:

The lights on the suits is to enable the player himself, and his team mates to locate him.

Mercenaries will not see these lights at all.

7. Tei says:

Do this include a hacking minigame where you break into some phone logs… for the LULZ?

8. Preciousgollum says:

The trailer is very reminiscent of Splinter Cell : Double Agent which, if you recall, is the multiplayer version that bought Splinter Cell off-the-rails. Double Agent multiplayer was good but it did not live up to the quality of its predecessors – the spies were all gangly and bald.

People should just buy Chaos Theory on PC for around £3-6.

9. airtekh says:

This sort of thing is right up my street.

Colour me interested.

10. fuakinjuicy says:

Myyyy, are you people ever so perceptive that it looks like Splinter Cell. It’s a good thing that they’re basically ripping it straight off of it, since the multiplayer gameplay from SC: Chaos Theory was godly and I’ve never encountered something as good in any other game. Sadly, the online community for it is now dead. Time for another game to come along and give us some juicy sneaking

• Fumarole says:

Dead? A friend of mine invited me to play a few weeks ago and our lobby was filled instantly with pubbers. Maybe it was a one-off thing, but I had fun that evening reliving my old LAN days.

11. hamster says:

But it’s just the exact same thing, isn’t it? Never really got into it (wasn’t pick-up-and-play enough, so never got ’round to learning the maps) but i can’t say i’m displeased with Project Stealth.

12. Teddy Leach says:

I’m glad it’s still going. We needed a dedicated game to come out of the spy v. merc mode.

13. Preciousgollum says:

I had a look on the website and, yes, it is pretty much the exact same thing – right down to the gadgets.

Everyone buy Chaos Theory and then the community won’t be so dead. Single-player was excellent so it’s hardly a gamble.

• fuakinjuicy says:

It would be easier to just release a new game so that everybody buys and gets on it

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

If only that would work. :(

Also, I experienced significant issues with CT muliplayer (wait actually that was with COOP, which (for the two games I managed to play) was AWESOME.

• Thants says:

Amon Tobin’s soundtrack is reason enough to buy it.

14. nikos says:

There’s definitely life in my sneakers!

Sorry, sorry :)

LTK says:

I’m just surprised that someone on the internet is capable of spelling both ‘sneak’ and ‘peek’ correctly.

16. Squishpoke says:

I remember this years ago as a WIP UT3 mod.

17. Boarnoah says:

He doesnt look very stealthy for glow sticks stuck to his body IMO