Da Darkness Deux Delayed

By Alec Meer on July 20th, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

But will it be darker in February than in October?

If in doubt, alliteration. Don’t worry about the terrible harm it might wreak upon the English language – your reward will come in pun-heaven. Or hell. So hard to tell the difference these days.

Anyway, just a quickie for you, missus: spooky-tentacle ‘em up the Darkness II has been delayed. It’s slipping from this October to February 2012.

Is this the first sign of a terrible repeat of 2009, when most of the Autumn and Winter’s game lost their nerve in the face of Modern Warfare 2 and slunk away for a few months? Modern Warfare 3 is, of course, looming this year, and Activision have been making noises about it somehow selling even more than CODBlops.

No reason’s been given for D2′s delay, but it will be playable at Comic-Con this weekend. Oh, and the new official release is down for February 7 in the US and February 10 in the UK. Sigh. No oceans, remember?

, , .

1. Monkey says:

I saw the words ‘Deux’ and ‘delayed’ and thought ‘Deus ex delayed’, never before have i glimpsed the rage that lies beneath

2. Moni says:

That’s a pretty big slip.

El_MUERkO says:

you’d want to be supremely confident in your product to even dare release in October/November, Modern Warfare is one thing but Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3 and others are also out around then, it’d be a bloodbath for anything but the biggest IP

4. westyfield says:

“Is this the first sign of a terrible repeat of 2009, when most of the Autumn and Winter’s game lost their nerve in the face of Modern Warfare 2 and slunk away for a few months?”

I sincerely hope not – Christmas is the only significant chunk of free time I get until the summer break. It was pretty tiresome before, when all the games I wanted to play were coming out during the January exam season and in the run up to the summer season.

5. Gnoupi says:

In France, you say “Le Darkness Deux”.

6. diebroken says:

“no they’re clearly not going to release the first one on PC stop asking”

Regarding the Condemned games – are Monolith ever going to release the second one on PC? : [

sonofsanta says:

Delayed on all platforms or just delayed on PC? I suspect the former, but it’d be interesting to compare/contrast against Ubisoft.

Big Murray says:

If people are going to start delaying their games by months to avoid the Activision steamroller, then October/November is fast going to become a graveyard month on the annual calendar.

9. Gonefornow says:

Just partly on point, I wish to see the day when a new CoD title sells less that the previous.
    Taking bets gentlemen + ladies, when will it be?
    MW3 or 4?
    The next Treyarc one?

I put a tenner on the new studio, whatever it’s called, hitting the bottom.

• Fierce says:

Not that this is particularly on topic, but isn’t the Infinity Ward of today just a Treyarch supplemented version of the remnants of the MW2 exodus?

I can’t bring myself to respect most anything that Treyarch puts out, as they appear to be nothing more than a shovel-ware puppeteer of Activision rather than a bastion of creativity. I just didn’t know the resurrected Infinity Ward was in much better shape.

And while MW3 will probably sell well, this years faceoff with BF3 will serve as a litmus test to it possibly being less welcomed by the collective gaming wallet.

10. TsunamiWombat says:

I saw Deux in the title, misread it as Deus, thought Deus Ex was bring delayed and panicked.

I may have shot someone.

11. Fierce says:

Oh man, I was about to roll in here and rage post over how Eidos and Square Enix should put more budget into developing the game to reach its launch date than marketing the game into the sub-surface bedrock by one upping the length of their next “First N Minutes of DX:HR” video.

Bullet: Dodged.

12. Synesthesia says:

dammit, fail reply as well. Lets pretend that never happened.