Maybe I Was: Born To Fire?

By John Walker on July 21st, 2011 at 2:50 pm.

Oh put a coat on her.

Have you heard of Born To Fire? No you haven’t, because it has only just been announced in English. Ahead of GamesCom, where NHN Corp (who sound like an evil empire from the future) and Funtree (who sound like a company that should exist in Toyland) will be debuting the Korean online shooter, comes the CG trailer below. I’m going to venture the thought that its attitude toward women is not exactly top notch.

I’m just not convinced that’s enough armour. If one of those breasts popped it could take out the entire platoon. Please everyone join me in a:

SIGH.

In other sigh-based news, the game’s website is only in Korean, despite being linked to by the English trailer.

But I can tell you that the game is a “character-oriented” FPS, offering five classes (presumably based on those stereotyped in the video), who should work together in team tactics. They also claim it will have one-click matchmaking, and “data-driven character balancing”.

However, the press release then reveals that NHN are currently looking for European and US publishers, so perhaps don’t hold your breath.

Sorry.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. CMaster says:

Oh.

Dear.

Are Japan and Korea really as sexist as their MMOs make them out to be?

• nofing says:

Do you really see such a huge difference between Korean/Japanese games and American/European games? Anyone remember the female characters, for example, in Diablo 2 or Dragon Age? Oh and please don’t tell me you think the Witcher isn’t sexist…

• unangbangkay says:

Oh come now, that’s like asking if people who write comments on Youtube videos are representative of whatever country they live in.

• Flameberge says:

I imagine like all cultures, there will be misogynistic and sexist twattery across all demographics.

Exhibit A: Duke Nukem Forever; Exhibit B: the above trailer.
      Not sure we’re really allowed to comment after that steaming turd was shat out of Gearbox software.

Perhaps, and this is very much a second-hand impression given to me from talking to all the Japanese people I’ve met over the last few years at university, that in some areas that country is maybe moving more slowly away from it’s patriarchal past than Europe and America.

• CMaster says:

Did I say that I thought sexism was exclusive to anywhere? And certainly rather ridiculous armour or sexually objectified characters can be seen throughout western games too (I remember being rather surprised at the female characters in DS3). I simply mean that in pretty much every asian MMO that crosses my eyes, the female characters in the official promotional materials are universally not just featuring daft things like cleavage windows or enamoured abdomens, but bascailly in near enough bra and knickers (this trailer – sports bra + hotpants) with extra wobbly breasts.

I was really looking for someone who has/does live out that way to say if this sort of thing was seen as normal, or if for the average person it was just a sign of how desperate “Otaku” or local equivalent were.

The oh dear was actually mostly a comment on how ermm, less-than-stellar that trailer made the game as a whole looked.

• Nalano says:

Not far from it.

Jeez, this game looks dumb.

• yutt says:

Being attracted to attractive people is sexism, in RPS comments.

I am amused that the men being hulking brutes isn’t “sexist”. Who’s the sexist and racist one again?

• John Walker says:

Yeah, especially after all those years of oppression and objectification those big hulking men have suffered from.

• D3xter says:

I’m sure getting preffered job treatment, people being “nicer” to them, being covered in general media and getting all the attention must be really horrible for pretty-like females.

• CMaster says:

@Yutt
      Where did anyone here even imply that first line again?

Also, only one of the men from the five player characters there even comes close to hulking brute. Only one of them could you conceivably argue has been designed to be attractive. (Although that said, if they were trying to make the female character look attractive, they failed pretty hard).

@John. I could find plenty of media examples of sexual objectification of men from at least the last 20 years if you like. I don’t think a “two wrong make a right” argument is really necessary or relevant here.

• Was Neurotic says:

Tentacle rape, schoolgirls with the bodies of 12 year-olds and breasts the size of Toyotas, la la la…

Thanks, Japan, we really needed all that. No, really, give us more animated paedophilia, we love it.

• CMaster says:

Oh dear, this is all going a bit wrong.
      I think I might have said things wrong.

• Pinkables says:

@D3xter
      Regarding pretty female types, i can’t shake the notion that using their looks to get ahead in society is no more than pragmatism. Just like us uglier people use our extensive knowledge of Simpsons quotes and our ability to fix our friends’ wireless when it breaks down.

• yutt says:

John, either you are implying that male models are not objectified sexually, or that gorgeous women are an oppressed group. These are both debatable positions, but neither worthy the time. Attractive people will do okay without our Internet outrage at how it is so unfair to them people that people find them attractive.

The overused word “objectification” is a misleading way of saying, “you don’t know this person well enough to comment on their personality or intellect, but you’ve admitted to finding them visually appealing.”

How horrible that more of us don’t try to live in denial of our honest opinions. I hope you people aren’t out objectifying babies and puppies by finding them cute.

• rivalin says:

When people come to you for news about computer games, I’d say it indicates poor breeding to personally insert tiresome, snipey political content, not least because it will alienate a considerable proportion of your readers, and is just rude. Moreover taking sides in a political argument when you’re in a position of power doesn’t speak well to your character.

• CMaster says:

@Yutt.

Wow. I didn’t realise the crazy leap you’d made to get to your first comment in this thread. Now I vaugley understand. Anybody criticizing the portrayal of a person or character anywhere is clearly doing so because they want to bang them. Especially when they are completely fictional.

@Rivalin

I’m sorry my Liege for not coming from such gentrified stock as yourself. I hope you won’t evict me from your estate in punishment. I’m sure John feels likewise.

• Pinkables says:

@Yutt – If babies and puppies were looking to gain social equality then i could see this being more of an issue for them.

• yutt says:

@CMaster
      I think the “crazy leap” is expecting the gaming equivalent of the mindless-action-movie to challenge cultural stereotypes and gender roles that they did nothing to create. People are upset because the cast isn’t some generic multicultural equivalent to the Power Rangers or Captain Planet teams?

The art designers are being honest. Maybe some are uncomfortable seeing that reflection.

@Pinkables

I’m not sure how denying that men are broadly attracted to certain body types will help us there.

• nofing says:

I don’t really think this debate is about the looks and that 99% of female characters in games could be described as attractive, but that a male character typically wears cloths, which cover at least 80% of his body and female characters wear cloths, which cover about 20% of their bodies.
      And yes, that could be considered as sexist…

• Nalano says:

What drugs are you on, Yutt?

Take a look at what they have the female character wearing.

It’s not “I find this woman attractive.” It’s “they invented a woman who walks into a warzone with short-shorts and her breasts (with ridiculous jiggle-physics) spilling out a tube top, when everybody else is wearing head-to-toe body armor.” She was made for objectification. She is an object.

That’s what people are up in arms over.

Why do I even have to explain this?

• yutt says:

Correct, she is an object, because she is not a human and the characters do not have developed personalities. The men are also objects, designed to fit into certain cultural stereotypes of how warrior mans with guns should look. But you don’t find them sexually attractive, and you think women need you to defend them.

I’m not on any drugs – I’m just comfortable with confronting popular nonsense.

• Pinkables says:

I agree that looking to this game for an enlightened vision of equality is pretty silly, but even so it’s a bit depressing to think that the director almost certainly said at some point “We need more wobble in the breasts.”

• CMaster says:

@nofing
      Lead characters, throughout gaming, TV, movies and even books, at least in the mainstream tend to be attractive. Especially in the visual medium, because people like looking at attractive people.Yes, it perhaps happens to women a little more than men (and certainly there are more “types” of attractive men), but it is the way things are.

@yutt. You’ve just changed your track dramatically. You’ve gone from saying that everybody here criticising got a boner over blond-healer-girl, thought “bad person, that’s not PC” then jumped on the comments to make pennance, to making a different point entirely. Which still doesn’t excuse what we see here. Yes, the enemies being unable to hit the broad side of a barn in an action movie stereotype. The woman running around the combat zone in her underwear? I can only think of You Only Live Twice where that happens. Otherwise they’re either not on the battlefield at all, or they’re kitted up the same as everyone else (Aliens, Starship Troopers). This isn’t about “defending” anyone. This is just saying it looks really, really stupid and doesn’t reflect well on the designers. The male characters are designed to show their archetype (ish. I don’t really get why the MGer is fat). The female character is designed to make people go “oooohh, tits!”. These are not the same thing.

• yutt says:

I like wobbling breasts. Honestly I am a huge fan of them. I’m not sure how denying truths about sexuality is helpful.

When I watch a romcom with my wife I am shockingly unoffended by their portrayal of men as ruggedly attractive, modest, hilarious, sensitive and romantic – even though I clearly do not fit that stereotype. How dare they create false standards of personality and appearance that do not directly correlate to ideals for all men or women in the world, but instead represent broad cultural stereotypes that many people find appealing!

I really have never understood this outrage.

• yutt says:

@CMaster

“You’ve gone from saying that everybody here criticising got a boner over blond-healer-girl…”

Erm, I am not sure where I miscommunicated or you misinterpreted, but I do not think that, and have never tried to imply I did. I’ve no idea what your sexual preferences, or even genders, are. I apologize if I worded something unclearly, but I’m making no attempt to “make pennace”. I’m attacking this absurd notion that men finding women attractive is sexist. Or that portraying women in popular media that men find attractive is sexist. Or that a man finding the physical appearance of a woman as sexually attractive is sexist.

• Droopy The Dog says:

“I don’t really get why the MGer is fat”

He’s wearing a hat and smoking a cigar, he’s supposed to be american. Yes, they really are aiming for that.
      Sassy-bazookas isn’t the only character they’re out to apparently offend people with you know.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Oh and seriously, taking umbrage with the one scatily clad woman in a trailer where all the characters act riduculous (E.g. “MY SHIELD AND GENERAL MEATYNESS WILL STOP THE RPG, RAWRGH!” “Booya, my reckless diregard for real-world tactics is SO COOL!”)

… Suprisingly, isn’t helping the fight for equal rights in any meaningful way. Hell debating such a stupid point so seriously is only going to make whole issue seem more petty by association.

• CMaster says:

@Yutt
      “I’m attacking this absurd notion that men finding women attractive is sexist. Or that portraying women in popular media that men find attractive is sexist. Or that a man finding the physical appearance of a woman as sexually attractive is sexist.”

A notion which nobody here has put forward.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@yutt
      Wait, you believe people think this trailer is sexist because the virtual girl is attractive? Wow, have you ever missed the mark.
      Did you miss the part where the girl talked about how all this fighting is going to ruin her make-up? Did you miss the part when the guy opened his eyes to a pair of tits and said something like ‘now there is a sight’. Have you ever seen a woman’s chest before? Because they don’t look like that. Do you notice how she is the healer, a class that is essentially a support role? They should have just made her the official pie-maker class.
      You’re welcome to make the comparison of male and female stereotypes. You can point out how some of the men are hulking. However, the comparison would be absurd, given that the men are gigantic because that is perceived as extra masculine. It has nothing to do with sex. The portrayal of this balloon chested woman suggests that women are nothing more than sex objects, placed on this earth to be objectified by men and to support them in their manly endeavors and THAT is what is sexist about this video.

• Rii says:

Yutt does obliquely approach a point: the depiction of males in videogames – as everywhere else – is even more limited than that of females.

• Nalano says:

@Rii

True, the men are just as dumb as the woman.

But at least they’re fully clothed. It’s clearly a one-sided fantasy: They’re catering for the (Korean?) teenage boy who’s thinking to himself, “I want to snog the lady, but I want to BE the muscle-bound jock.”

• FakeAssName says:

I hate it when the first comment goes on a rampage and floods out everything else.

• Rii says:

@Nalano

Oh I don’t disagree at all. I just think it’s a shame that whilst we’re devoting all this well-deserved attention to the depiction of women in gaming that the horrid state of the depiction of men in gaming is so rarely recognised.

Of course part of that is because most games are well adapted to the kinds of men that inhabit them, which is another subject entirely. And more of it is tied up in our still largely unchallenged notions of masculinity in broader society such that noting the carryover into videogames specifically is kinda silly. But still.

It’s scary to think that Metal Gear Solid 4 – a game that features a literal ‘objectify women’ mode – is actually probably one of the more progressive games out there in terms of its depiction of males, what with it featuring a protagonist who is ‘over the hill’ and continuing MGS’ practice of having the geek get the girl and be more socially adept than Machoman.

• Nalano says:

@Rii

Well, I’d imagine that men would have less of an issue with being objectified because men have never been oppressed for their gender.

I certainly don’t spend all morning putting on make-up to look “acceptable” in public. I barely get rated professionally on how I look at all. I get paid more when I do work, and have historically had a much larger selection of careers to choose from. My life is not based on how other people stereotype me.

As such, I don’t feel threatened by idiot musclebound jock protagonists, nor do I feel threatened by the spate of man-child movies as promulgated by Seth Rogen.

• Rii says:

@Nalano
      The issue with women is worse because it reinforces (and is reinforced by) real-world divisions of power. But that’s kinda like saying that murder is worse than assault. A straitjacket is still a straitjacket. It is far more socially palatable for a girl to do ‘boy things’ than it is for a boy to do ‘girl things’. Stay-at-home men are still widely viewed with suspicion and contempt. And yeah, the main reason our understanding of masculinity hasn’t undergone the same soul-searching as femininity is because a majority of men are perfectly satisfied with the status quo and are indeed the primary reinforcers of it. Patriarchy is a blade that cuts men and women alike. Too often one side of that ledger goes unrecognised.

• Eclipse says:

@nofing first, The Witcher is european (and it shows), and it’s not sexist, it’s just in a crude and gritty fantasy setting, the same setting of the novels. So it’s just a good transposition of that… you can assume “hey but the novels are sexists!” again, no, it’s that way just because that is how the characters are supposed to think in that world. Seems weird but… ok it’s weird.
      The point is that the “sexism” on the witcher isn’t just something placed here, it fits. In a normal shooter or jrpg it’s just something like “hey let’s put some barely dressed hot chicks in!”

• Droopy The Dog says:

@Nalano – Actually appearance does play a real part in a mens careers too, men with overtly feminine features, extra-long hair or what can be calously described as “ugly” statistically suffer compared to their lantern-jawed blue-eyed contemporaries in the higher echelons of business.

Thankfully less so in knowledge based jobs but careers in marketing, human resources, general management and other “people” jobs can genuinely suffer. There may be a gender issue there but it’s also clouded by a general subconscious change in attitude toward attractive people of either sex.

• Nalano says:

In what substantive way, Rii, are men being oppressed for being house-husbands?

• GT3000 says:

@Nalano

They get drugged, tied up, their dicks chopped off, and thrown in a garbage disposal by their wives. Joking aside, the West (as we know it defined in Cold War terms) is coming increasing pressure to conform to feminism. Do I think women should be treated as equals to men? Hell to the no. They deserve equitable rights. I don’t see dudes at work filing for maternity leave. On the same token I don’t expect my female counterparts to be put on a higher pedestal because they’re female. It’s incredibly one-sided. I applaud Yutt, even if he isn’t super articulate. (Sorry bro, you’re getting muddled in over analyzing) The verdict is simple, RPS needs to stop being a politically correct mouthpiece, and sexism isn’t the devil make it out to be. There are worse demons to confront.

Synopsis: Sexism isn’t the devil. Feminism destroys equity between genders. Last but not least. This game looks horrible but I wouldn’t mind waking up to the comforting protection of breasts. I feel we can all agree on at least that.

• yutt says:

“The portrayal of this balloon chested woman suggests that women are nothing more than sex objects, placed on this earth to be objectified by men and to support them in their manly endeavors and THAT is what is sexist about this video.”

No, that’s just you projecting what you think of attractive women.

The portrayal of this hulking ape of a man suggests that men are nothing more than tools, placed on this earth to be utilized by women and to support them in the womanly endeavors and THAT is what is sexist about this video.

Which person in this video was being used as a tool? It wasn’t a woman.

• Saul says:

The other day I saw a Korean tourism ad where a bunch of Korean females of various ages pampered a white man in every possible way. It appears that maybe the sexual revolution has sidestepped them a little. Or maybe maybe they’ve managed to justify it with warped logic that has no basis in reality, in which case they’re not the only ones.

• Nalano says:

I have no idea what the hell tangent you decided to go on, GT3000.

• WHS says:

So, uh, GT3000…

“P.S. Men who are hulking ‘roid blocks is just as sexist as scantily clad commando nymphs, the difference is most people wouldn’t fear the nymph and that in itself is sexist because you deny the validity of the characters based on their physical appearance not their content.”

I already said something to this effect on page four, but your equivocation here is so silly that I feel the need to repeat myself just in case you never venture that far. Game designers don’t put men who are “hulking ‘roid blocks” in games to make those games more popular with female gamers. They do it because they want to make those games more popular with male gamers. (And also, I suspect, because some game designers, like some gamers, are bitter nerds with serious masculinity issues… but I digress.)

Likewise, they put “scantily clad commando nymphs” in games to make those games more popular with male gamers.

That’s what’s objectionable: almost all game-design and character-design choices are made with men in mind, and women as an afterthought. You cannot simply compare male characters with female characters, say “Welp, they’re both stereotypes!” and throw up your hands. They’re different stereotypes, and the difference is important, and it tells us a lot about a pretty backwards mindset that pollutes gamer culture.

• lurkalisk says:

I’ll never understand how it is seen as a sexist action to feature a crudely constructed, barely clothed female in a videogame. I mean, I suppose the creators could be a bunch of sexist pig dogs, but that doesn’t mean the concept exhibits any sort of prejudice against women. Hell, it’s obvious they haven’t taken the human form too seriously altogether, regardless of gender.

Besides, videogame designers are not obligated to only create female character models that make christian watchdog groups smile in approval. We don’t need everyone to be modestly endowed, empowering role models.

I let out a sigh after watching that trailer mostly because Korean games all tend to be rather similar (on a per-genre basis, obv.), not because I was embarrassed to have born witness to a women not draped in the expected amount of synthetic fibers.

EDIT: Note that I’m not saying that this appears to be a worthwhile character, just not a sexist one.

• TariqOne says:

My girlfriend plays games. In fact she plays them a scary amount and is scary good at it. She’s a gamer, she’s one of us, and she even posts here from time to time. She’s also an intelligent person, and a thoughtful one.

Games with characters like this make her feel pretty unwelcome. When she plays a game she’s really no different from any of us manly types. She wants to feel cool and kickass (and grief you, but that’s beside the point). Characters like that aren’t cool and kickass. They’re ridiculous. Playing them she’s made to feel ridiculous. And hence she won’t play them. And there’s yet another lad-centric game we don’t coop together.

You guys can bray all you want but there it is. I’m sure now someone is going to come and counter with their own anecdotal evidence about how their friend/girlfriend/spouse loves to play games as a huge pair of jiggly tits holding a gun and giggling inanities. Maybe so, but the fact is that shit like this is exactly why there aren’t more women playing games. It’s exactly why there aren’t more women playing games. Period.

And what kind of breather doesn’t want more women playing games? I have news for you dorks: women are pretty fucking great.

I won’t go into how fucking insulting it is to me that they assume I’m going to be more likely to play the game because of the boobies. But it is.

On another note, though, THANK YOU WALKER. RPS is pretty shit on these issues usually (a whole DNF review that doesn’t at least TOUCH on the misogyny?). I’m pleased to see you rightly point out what is right there in your face. In your face like a giant heaving pair of improbable norgs. Keep it up.

• Whitechip says:

..idiots the lot of you.

• MadMatty says:

Y´know if any femal RPS reader actually looks that way…. y´know gimme a shout here at the comments and maybe we can, i dunno, figure something out.
      Bring the guns.

And gravy.

2. Flint says:

I hope the future release keeps the quality of voice acting.

HYARRRRRR HNYRRRR ARRRR HNHERESSOMECHCLTFRHURSORRYLOOKSGOODONYOU

3. Doomsayer says:

Everyone knows females can only shoot a gun if they’re also sluts. Really, could you imagine society without sexism?

4. Flaringo says:

Isn’t that guy with the shield from Army of Two?

• Chuck84 says:

No. The Army of Two guy at least seems mentally competent, if immature. The tank guy in this looks to have serious mental deficiencies.

5. MrThingy says:

Funtree certainly like their Funbags.

Hypnotic… wibble… wobble…

• Rich says:

…although they clearly haven’t had enough experience with them to accurately model their movement. In this case they appear to have the characteristics of partially filled water balloons.

6. Pop says:

Hooray for implausible cleavage! But why not go all the way? I reckon a mainstream game where you objectify women down to the level of collectables is long overdue, with implausible cleavage!

• Nallen says:

So, The Witcher?

• BobsLawnService says:

I’m all for knocking the enormous knockers but giving them grief about what character class she is is probably pushing the righteous indignation a bit.

Oops reply fail. This was meant to be a reply to KG’s post below.

7. Kieron Gillen says:

I especially like how when sitting and thinking about what character class to make the girl, they turned her into the healer.

KG

• Flameberge says:

Hadn’t even twigged to that. Perhaps I didn’t notice because by the standards of the rest of the trailer she should have been in some sort of slutty nurse’s uniform.

• Flint says:

And a poor one at that. “Shit, that hurts!” isn’t usually the thing you shout when your wounds get healed.

• Jake says:

Oh, healer, of course. Here I thought the classes were ‘soldier’, ‘tank’, ‘sniper’, ‘heavy weapon’ and ‘girl’.

• yutt says:

I like how 99% of the nurses at the organization I work for are women. I blame game developers for this.

• The Hammer says:

Wait, if nurses do all the healing, what do doctors do?

• Gaytard Fondue says:

And I like how 99% of the doctors at the hospital I work at are female. Oh wait…

• elmuerte says:

@The Hammer
      Docters diagnose

• BobsLawnService says:

So my mother is a nurse. She once told me that it is a vocation and that she knew she wanted to be one at age 8 when she was visiting a hospital and helped sooth a little boy while he was puking. Should I break the news that she is a horrible sexist person for being a female nurse?

• SF Legend says:

@The Hammer
      Vicodin

• Kieron Gillen says:

I’m a bit amused that Yutt is throwing a realism defence at her being a healer.

KG

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@yutt

Yeah, the predominance of female nurses totally justifies the female character taking the passive support role in an over-the-top testosterone fueled action game.

I hope all that shooting doesn’t smear her make-up.

• Nalano says:

Yeah, women are nurses not because that’s the only industry they could break into, but because they’re women and therefore predisposed to nurturing. After all, if god wanted women to be doctors, he’d have made them less cute in white pencil skirts.

• yutt says:

@Kieron Gillen
      Sorry, that is weak.

There are differences in perceived and actual roles that men and women fulfill in most societies. These are both cultural and biological. Surely, given your degree, you are aware of the existence of hormonal differences between the sexes, and the effects these has on behavior. We aren’t all androgynous hermaphrodites, much to the dismay of politically correct types.

Nurturing roles are perceived as feminine, and warriors are perceived as masculine across nearly all cultures.

The problem is not that gender differences exist, it is that some perceive feminine roles as lesser than masculine roles. I do not. Being a healer is as vital, if not more-so, than being a mindless fellow with tree-trunk arms and a machine gun.

Really I doubt this discussion is going anywhere however, as some people seem to hate that women aren’t men, and hate when women aren’t portrayed in masculinized roles.

• Wraggles says:

@BobsLawnService
      Hrm, it’s not sexist to want to work in the health industry. But I bet if you sat down with your mother and talked to her about it, she’d be fully capable of recognising that industry she works in is inherently sexist (I’ve yet to meet a nurse who couldn’t).

@ Yutt
      Really, you should think about that a little more. I apologise for the condescending tone of the following post, but you should really educate yourself on sexism first before running your mouth.

The, “but men and women are different” argument, is pretty much a classic pro-sexism form. A reference to culture rather than biology certainly doesn’t help your cause, as culture is inherently sexist (or at least those that aren’t are in a severe minority). Additionally, your statement that women are predisposed to being nurturers would seem to stem from your worldview rather than any established fact, but that’s fairly understandable as you will have grown up with those gender roles being reinforced time and again, and believe me that’s a hard thing to break out of.

Anyhow you seem to misunderstand the problem with sexism, it’s not so much to do with the social aspect of the importance of a role, within a social structure even the most menial tasks are of great import (This is in fact an issue of class, not gender). Rather the problem is the lack of freedom that stems from oppression and repression. Sexism hurts everyone, in the current climate, men who wish to take on “female gender roles” are often labelled as undesirable. This is Repression. Women who desire to take on “male gender roles” will often find extreme resistance to their doing so. This is Oppression.

Now as it stands, the roles that are considered acceptable for the male gender, in fact give access to both greater resources, and greater power (Hence males are the “Oppressors” in our current gender climate). For instance lets take the nurse example currently being debated. In general, within a hospital hierarchy, you actually have different ladders of profession, so for instance, a physician actually has no oversight over a nurse. That said, the most fundamental type of hierarchy does in fact occur, a physician writes out a series of instructions, and nurses follow it. This isn’t really a new thing, the decision makers in “European” Health care have been men for a long long time, with women being the actual “caregivers”.

In that vein doctors are “socially” more “powerful” than nurses (Despite having little direct power). As for access to greater resources, the easiest method one can think of to depict that, is pay scale. With minor deviations, the general trend is that physicians are paid more than nurses, otherwise institutional support and assumptions of character could be considered another such resource.

In fact, as far as “nurses” and “doctors” are concerned, those gender rolls have become so strongly ingrained into western society they have become a form of “Sexist Language”. Making it extremely hard for people to talk about female doctors, and male nurses, in fact in many hospitals nurses still have the title “sister”.

So really this is a cautionary tale, It’s not really a big jump to go from, “women are predisposed to being nurturers” (subtle sexism), to “so they should stay home and look after the kids/house/husband” (overt sexism), and from, men are built to be warriors, so they should be our leaders, soldiers, breadwinners.

It’s all quite distasteful really.

• lurkalisk says:

@Wraggles – “The, ‘but men and women are different’ argument, is pretty much a classic pro-sexism form.”

Excuse me if this sounds condescending… But they are. Various physical and biochemical differences lead to differences in behaviour, thus differences in trends and likeliness for various outcomes. The problem, is, as that guy you’re talking at said, how people perceive these differences, and the resultant societal effects. Nothing you said even approaches a proper argument against this assessment.

You seem like the uneducated one around here. Pffft… Claiming the medical industry to be “inherently sexist”. Right. The treatment of disease and injury is by its very constitution prejudicial. Of course.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Yutt: You miss why I think it’s funny.

It is funny that one half of your argument upthread is that WOMEN SHOULD BE PRESENTED ENTIRELY TO TITILLATE MALE (i.e. MY) TASTES* and the half down here is BUT WOMEN ARE REALLY LIKE THAT!**

For me, it’s shit unimaginative character design and shit unimaginative game design and I’m actively amused you’re tying yourselves in knots trying to defend it. I mean, you know the truth here, yeah? A talented character designer can make a character you can happily wank yourself senseless over without getting a thread at RPS full of people rolling their eyes.

This? It’s just fucking rubbish on about every level. You’ve put more effort thinking about it than they have.

KG
      *As in, an argument solely about fantasy and how it should trump any element of reality.
      **As in, an argument to reality and how it should trump any possibility of fantasy.

• Wraggles says:

@lurkalisk
      Why do I feel I’m being trolled.

Let me put it a different way. When you put forward that argument in a sexist debate, you are effectively saying, that people who don’t fit into established gender roles (or choose not to), are not only “culturally” abnormal, but biologically deficient. Even if you wouldn’t put it so strongly, that’s the implication right there.

Also, you’re right, it has everything to do with “perception of those differences”, because of course, sexist opinion, or a worldview formed within a sexist environment has a huge impact on ones perception of the sexes.

Anyhow, I think that about does me, I get the feeling I’ll make little impact here. I may just join in on that “SIGH”

• lurkalisk says:

@Wraggles
      How do you come to these conclusions? *sigh* Let me take this one point at a time:

1. “When you put forward that argument in a sexist debate, you are effectively saying, that people who don’t fit into established gender roles (or choose not to), are not only “culturally” abnormal, but biologically deficient. Even if you wouldn’t put it so strongly, that’s the implication right there.”
      -No. None of that reflects my post o the intent behind it. You seem to be reading WAY too far into it. I simply said that the unfortunate cultural complication that is sexism comes out of a misunderstanding of the nature gender. While men and women are clearly different, and have slightly different biological specialisation, I never implied that either needs to accept some sort of place in society. You pulled that out of nothing. I REALLY didn’t imply anyone was biologically deficient, how you got that absolutely mystifies me.

2. “As for your point about the medical industry, I find your ability to build a strawman amazing. The desire to care and treat those infirm or injured has little to no bearing on the sexist structure of the institution itself. The desire to help others is quite an admirable trait, you may want to keep those concepts separate next time”
      - You said yourself “that industry she works in is inherently sexist”. Do you know what “inherent” means? You implied that professional medicine is, by its very constitution, sexist. Which is to say that without sexism, it wouldn’t be professional medicine. I’m sorry if that’s not what you meant, in which case, look up the word. I wasn’t exactly arguing, and definitely not building a straw man. My whole post was really just meant to truncate the chaff from yutt’s post, and present it neatly, then inform you that seemed to be inferring too much. It was largely a statement, not an argument.

Hmm… I guess that’s it. Anyway, stop reading between the lines. You’re just making up the content, it would seem.

8. gulag says:

I liked the two big guys. The rest can go die in a fire.

9. simoroth says:

That was so terrible, I think you gave me cancer.

10. metalangel says:

She needs to fight Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite to see whose ridiculous tits are best!

Born To Fire Slut shot Elizabeth with shotgun for 20 damages!
    Elizabeth used “the power of her stupid face” on Dead Horse.
    Dead Horse was revived and is back in the fight!

• BobsLawnService says:

I don’t believe an old fashioned sexist dinosaur such as myself needs to say this but :”The next time someone unironically calls a woman a slut for wearing revealing clothing and having big breasts I am going to get grumpy. Especially when they are whining about how sexist video games are.”

11. Squire says:

Reminds me of Killer Bean Forever’s “camerawork” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_7-lYjLEI but not as good ha

12. diebroken says:

I think the sniper needs to be even more violent with the bolt action of his rifle, it’s just no where near enough… oh, and I guess I should mention something about “teh B00Bs”?!

For some reason I want to play Devastation again now… on second thought I don’t think I can stand playing as Eminem again no matter how insane that game got (respawning as a plot device – really?)…

13. Fomorian1988 says:

If I yawned any harder while watching this trailer, I’d split my head in two. Cheesy voice-acting didn’t help.

14. MonkeyMonster says:

crap, what’s happening…

and in the game too

15. wyrmsine says:

That’s some low hangin’ fruit jiggling off the Fun Tree there…

16. fallingmagpie says:

Finally, my time machine worked, and it’s 2001 again!

‘What’s going on?’ Well dear, that helicopter is crashing. What do you think is going on?

17. McDan says:

I like to see this refreshing new take on shooters, plus an equal show of male and female characters adn nopt at all stereotypes. In other words: no comment on this pile of utter ridiculousness.

18. Selifator says:

The voices, why are they so awful.

• Gotem says:

Hopefully someone was born to fire the voice actors

• Tei says:

Is hard for not english natives to fake your voices or judge wen a voice is good. Sometimes is even fake for englishmen thenselves (wen theres accents, it seems that every englishmen have a different opinion on how a scotch accent sould be). Don’t judge us to strongly (us= everyone not english).

• Dozer says:

@Gotem: you made me blow tea all over the desk. I had to replace the keyboard and everything!

19. Zarunil says:

Good lord. That’s one of the most stereotypical trailers I’ve ever seen.
    Not to mention ridiculous.

Edit: Funny how I copied McDan’s post without even reading it first. Amazing!

20. SMiD says:

Needs more burrets.

21. Coins says:

Do people actually play this rubbish? I’m almost hoping they don’t find a publisher.

22. Flakfizer says:

Shouldn’t a trailer make you want to play the game? Confused :/

23. canonfodder says:

Oh dear god. I just can’t. . . What. How. NO! No! I will not.

Oh god.

Those breasts. they were… What!

And don’t get me. No I will not have a brain aneurysm over this trailer. I refuse.

Oh wait there it goes.

24. Clean3d says:

Okay, so the depiction of females was inappropriate, but at least they got the males accurate, rihgt? Oops, typo. It’s tough to type with all these huge muscles in my fingers.

Anyway, which side was the good guys? I saw a bunch of people shooting each other for no reason, but only one group seemed to be enjoying it.

• Nalano says:

It seemed to be a gunfight between clowns and the fashion police.

And the clowns won.

• Xocrates says:

@Clean3d if the guys were shirtless, you would have a point.

• Clean3d says:

@Xocrates Can’t objectification and stereotyping happen even where the subject isn’t half nekkid, though? Their portrayal of the male characters doesn’t offend the same sensibilities, true, but I don’t think it’s that much more respectful than their portrayal of the female.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Filter released the flood

• Droopy The Dog says:

I’m with clean3d, I’d like people to start mocking all the riduclousness equally. It’s like everyone’s too fixated on gratiutious jigglies to notice how terrible the other characters are. Only talking about breasts ironically is still only talking about breasts no matter how you dress it up.

For example muscles-skullface-simpletalky is a pretty naff stereotype, right down to randomly copping a feel of medic in the middle of a firefight. And just a vest is practically shirtless, ask any Maître d’.

Finally… The comment filter hates me talking about clothes apparently

• Xocrates says:

The fact that they ALL look stupid does nothing to change that only one of them seems clearly designed to look sexy (which is not helped by the fact that it is a token female). Not to mention that while stupid looking, the guy’s attire makes some sense in the game context.

Point being: I’m all to mocking all the ridiculousness equally, problem is that they’re not all equally ridiculous.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Filter released the flood

• Droopy The Dog says:

That’s where I’d have to disagree, shades-tatoo-mcprettyface and army-of-two muscle-mountain are both stereotypes I know plenty of women would admit to finding attractive. (The types I mean, not the terrible examples in that trailer. Just like medic, whilst designed for it, isn’t really pushing anyone’s buttons.)

Medic girl presumably just stands out from the male perspective because she’s made from all the design clichés to make a character sexy to guys. Whereas the same chichés that make a male character supposedly attractive to women also just make him look kinda cool, so what looks like a failed attempt to be cool could also look like omg-male-objectification from a different perspective.

• Xocrates says:

Fair enough.

I doubt that’s the devs intention, but fair enough.

• Clean3d says:

@Xocrates: Good points. Can’t really disagree with you. I guess my point was that making something sexy isn’t the only way to negatively objectify something, and that perhaps the other stereotypes present were nearing similar levels of vulgarity. If you feel that the developers consciously making her sexy is worse than them unconsciously making the other dudes musclemen… then… I dunno. You could be right. I think taking this any farther would be like beating a dead horse, and at this point I’d rather find amusement in the fact that we’re disagreeing on how best to hate this trailer.

This game negatively stereotypes battlefields and warzones.

25. Stormdancer says:

Oh, god. That was awful. “What’s happening?!” … really?

*SIGH*

26. Alexander Norris says:

Christ, that was terrible.

I have to be honest, I’m not feeling much hope for video games as a mature medium right now.

27. Turin Turambar says:

“I’m going to venture the thought that its attitude toward women is not exactly top notch.”

Well, it’s not like the “booyahh!” dude paints the male figure in a positive light.

28. bleeters says:

Huh. It’s like they hired Jennifer Hale’s long lost, talentless younger sister.

Anyhoo, that was appalling. I feel like I’ve been caked in filth that will never wash off.

29. Fierce says:

“Super 64 to landing site. Over.”
    “Roger that.”

Yes, after everything else, even the Blackhawk callsign of Super-6-4 had to join in on the horror.

Sigh.

30. Drake Sigar says:

Tyson from Army of Two?

31. Harlander says:

In a weird bit of internet synchronicity, I was just reading a blog post about the horrible density of -isms in gaming.

32. Yuri says:

Embarrassed by watching. Worst kind of embarrassment.

Also, considering it’s a CG trailer… Battlefield 3′s in-game videos still blow it out of the water. Couldn’t help thinking that.

Perhaps we are about to reach a phase where CG videos for games will be rendered moot?

33. razgon says:

But..the title…what does it mean!?

34. Santiaguito says:

After further research, and by research i mean actually going into their website, i discovered they offer the possibility to be a character from another game in this one. For example, you can be the sniper dressed as MW2′s Ghost, or as Drake said, the “shotgun man” (tht’s the name of the class) dressed as Tyson from Army of Two. As the medic goes, i’d say she’s a crossover between TF2′s medic (healing-ray gun) and the beloved Lara Croft, but there are plenty of dual wielding game-girls out there so i’m not sure on this one. Then there’s the Rifle man and the “Heavy” guy. I can’t find any reference on their dressing but, siut yourslef and have a blast finding one for those, ’cause it’s probably going to be funnier than actually playing the game.

35. Diziet Sma says:

What’s more damning is the whiny voices and awful dialogue that sounds as though it came from the worst of the dubs of crappiest anime I watched in the early 90′s.

36. Jamison Dance says:

This game is what my parents thing videogames are.

37. Tei says:

DO ME A FAVOR and wear some armour. YOU scantily clad women.

38. tomeoftom says:

Taste.

39. Gaytard Fondue says:

Btw, this is exactly how war is.

40. Joc says:

Progress. Questionmark.

41. Zorganist says:

So are the teams in this game meant to be fighting over the world’s final remaining source of bras? That woman desperately needs one.

42. kutkh says:

The opening juxtaposition of the word ‘Funtree’ with a residential area getting carpet-bombed made me think pretty seriously about what we consider fun and how little we deign to hide it. Then there were giant tits.

43. sneetch says:

Poor, cliched nonsense from the music to the… well, everything really.

Putting aside the stereotypical character design and appalling voice acting my personal highlight was when the guy in the cowboy hat runs through a hail of fire that everyone can see and does his little “I can see tangos ahead” fingers-to-eyes-to-enemies gesture. Thanks for that one, we were unaware that there was a large group of incompetent/unlucky enemies shooting at us.

44. Captain Lightning says:

I must say, that is some spectacularly terrible voice acting.

45. SuperNashwanPower says:

NEEDS BIGGER BOOBS

46. DarkByke says:

avoiceformen.com if you really wanna get educated on “sexism” etc. etc.

47. innociv says:

That’s a lot of comments.

I don’t think I’ve seen a woman ever stand like that. The hell.

48. innociv says:

That’s because Britain invented campiness.

Comment on this story