Origin Charging £45 For SW:TOR Pre-Orders!

By John Walker on July 21st, 2011 at 9:16 am.

Is this worth your life savings?

Update: GAME are now selling the Collector’s Edition for… £130!

Yesterday’s leak of the Star Wars: The Old Republic special edition has proven, not surprisingly, to be accurate. With ComicCon starting today, EA have somewhat pre-empted their in-show announcement by going official with the various packages on their site, perhaps in response to the rumours that swirled yesterday. However, while confirming everything that was expected (including that spunky mouse), they’ve yet to add a proper price to it all, despite claiming you can pre-order now. And as for the regular versions – the prices out there are looking ridiculous.

At the time of publishing, clicking on their giant “PRE-ORDER NOW!” button takes you to a list of retailers around the world accepting pre-orders. In the UK that’s Game, Play.com and Amazon.co.uk. The problem being, none of them actually has the Collector’s Edition available to pre-order, somewhat undermining that “NOW!”

As for the regular edition, Amazon.co.uk explains that it’s “currently unavailable”. Game has it at the frankly ludicrous pre-order price of £40. And Play doesn’t have it listed at all.

GameStop in the US have a listing in their search results, pricing the standard version at $60, but when you click through the page has been removed. Meanwhile Best Buy and Walmart have never heard of it.

But what about Origin – EA’s own online store? Oh good grief.

The “Standard Edition” is priced at an extraordinarily unstandard £45, while the “Digital Deluxe” version is an eye-hurting £60! It also says there’s the pre-order fee of £5, and I can’t see anywhere that says this is deducted from the total amount. Goodness knows.

But the Collector’s Edition? I’ve finally found somewhere claiming to sell it. That’s the US Amazon.com, who price the giant box at a gob-smacking $150 (£93). You can see what’s in it at the site, or here.

We’ve contacted EA to see if these prices are for real, and when we can expect the Collector’s Edition to actually be pre-orderable in the UK.

, , , .

1. Spaldy says:

As an NZ gamer, I’m getting pretty fed up with this regional BS.

I was reasonably optimistic about Origin – that it could just be another platform and perhaps a worthwhile competitor to Steam (which maybe, just maybe, would keep prices down) – but to click on a link that I’ve been e-mailed to be told that I can’t pre-order because I live outside Europe or the US and that this is a game that looks to be one of the first big pushes for Origin just fills me with despair to be honest.

This is more or less the same kind of story that we went through for the first run of APB down here. The game is pushed through global media, we join communities to keep track of the news, get all excited about the game in question, only to be told when it gets to pre-order (and occasionally initial release!) “Oh, but, not you.”

Out of the two big IPs in which I’ve taken in interest being developed into an MMO, there was Star Trek and SWTOR. From where I’m sitting, this latest move from EA pretty much sours me on SWTOR, and makes me more than a little nervous about my digital access to other Bioware titles (such as, I don’t know, Mass Effect 3?).

For the time being, I see no reason to even think about trying out SWTOR given that I suscribe to Cryptic’s Stark Trek Online (which has greatly improved with Season Four in my opinion) unless there’s a free trial (which I can’t see happening given this model).

All in all, I know this could just be Australia and New Zealand being locked out of the pre-order (which, when put like that just gets me going) and that the release could be global. But I’m not holding my breath.

2. Duke of Chutney says:

any guesses on the monthly sub price. Through my skills of divination i predict £13.91.

• Chris D says:

Through my skills at divination I predict… 2 feet of entrails and a small piece of goats liver.

Hold on, I’m not sure I got that quite right. Let me check the manual..

• Wulf says:

Likely £8-10 since they’re trying to ape early WoW. I don’t think even they’d be insane enough to charge £13 per month…

Oh, wait… this is EA. Nevermind.

3. Drake Sigar says:

Scoff! Gameplay.uk has the regular edition for £35, although I refuse to buy anything over £30.

4. CerberuX says:

Wow, thats a lot of money.. I’ve sworn off MMO’s due to being fed up of paying monthly but also hating the free to play models around (I know I guess my MMO needs can’t be satisfied). HOWEVER I was going to get this game, but now I don’t think I will be unless the price drops cause man is that expensive for a damn game. Makes me think its just a pure money maker with no love – like some form of CoD *bleh*

• Wulf says:

You realise that Guild Wars 2 is going to be a fully fledged MMORPG with no monthly subscription, right?

5. berjalan says:

Dammit. I’ve been looking forward to this game for ages. Now my lack of faith is disturbing me.

6. Craazhy says:

This is absolutely ridiculous. There’s no justifiable reason why these games should be gouging us the way they are. *closes collectors edition pre-order confirmation email* I will not stand for this!

MonkeyMonster says:

It’s almost as if they asked Valve to set their prices and manage the go-live…

8. Ganj says:

These price points seem to be a bit too steep for a company confident in the long term success of their project.

9. The Sentinel says:

How else are they going to recoup that £300 million development cost?

Sorry, but this just ain’t my Star Wars anymore. Time to let the whole thing go, I reckon. No sale.

10. Teddy Leach says:

(Still silently mocking.)

*Gives two-fingered salute.*

11. Wolf0x says:

Seriously how do EA think this is a good idea, you have to pay £40/45 for the game then pay a monthly fee on top of that it’s ridiculous as it cost more than a console game straight up then you have to pay each month. There goes my hope that EA’s new store Origins would actually sell there games at a price comparable to retail instead they charge £5 + pre-order cost

• Wolf0x says:

When I first say this story I really thought it was a joke you know a bit of mocking of EA and it’s crazy pricing £35 for a pc game is ridiculous I will happily pay £25 or if it’s an amazing game £30 put other than those prices or lower I will not buy the game I will wait for it to come down in price

• Nalano says:

Console games?

At this rate, the CE will cost more than most consoles.

• Wulf says:

^^^
      Hahahaha, wow. Good point, N. At this rate this is going to go down as one of the poorest business decisions in the history of gaming. And that’s a long history. The biggest cock-up ever. After the collapse of civilisation bards will sing of this.

• Nalano says:

And if this epic cock-up were the doings of Bethesda, I’d be gleefully roasting marshmellows on the smoldering wreckage when they crash and burn, but since it’s Bioware it’s a tragedy.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Whoa there. That, we will have to see (got your popcorn yet?). There’s no saying how many fans they’ll be able to reel in. This may all seem ludicrous to us, but who knows how many people will fall for it. And for that matter, stick with the game.

12. Ertard says:

I will never buy this game. It seems to be very old and quite bad, and that’s what I think EA knows as well. The ultra inflated boxed price (weird for an MMO), massive lack of trailers with real in-game content and all the delays tell me this will probably not be that great. Not £68 great at least (that’s three day one AAA games on D2D.co.uk).

13. johnpeat says:

If they announced Guild Wars 2 today with a price of £40 they’d be SHOWERED in money

Hint Hint

14. johnpeat says:

Furthermore, I’d like to thank EA for removing any possible fence-sitting I might have had about this game.

I tend to perk interest in most MMOs but my policy is to see if I can wangle and demo/BETA to find-out if it’s worth the money/subs/time and that’s clearly not on the cards – instead I’m being asked for a sack of money for a game I strongly suspect is going to be KOTOR with a lot more grind and a lot less ‘Star Wars’ (and let’s be honest, KOTOR was a bit low on Star Wars anyway!!)

I’ll hold for GW2 and in the meanwhile enjoy GW (I really must complete my Level 20 superquests one day) and perhaps the other 8 million ‘free’ titles including AOC and LOTRO and CO and …

Shakermaker says:

I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe edition. Now send me a beta invite plox, Bioware.

• Wulf says:

A “beta invite plox”? Is that like some sort of lego? Are they sending beta invites out on lego blocks now?

16. Haradan says:

I really don’t see how they expect this to work. What they need right now is not to maximise day one sales in £, but to get as many people into the game as possible. By turning people away with extortionate pricing, they cripple their long term profitability. What will make this game a success or failure is long-term subs, not day one sales.

17. Conor says:

Fucking Nora.

18. hotcod says:

I don’t think this means EA think the game will bomb… but the investment has been huge and it they are likely confident that most people who where going to buy the game will buy it at this price anyway so they get a instant cash injection and then all the subs. It’s likely a very stupid think to do and the UK pricing for the CE is idiotic and I don’t even want to start on the DD deluxe pricing… you’d think EA would be using this as a chance to get people to adopt origins some what, which a very cheap deluxe edition could have worked to do. Hell if you’d offered it as just a “origins” editions where you got all the cool stuff then it might have even over come my misgivings about the platform.

19. zergrush says:

I think they’re charging the additional fee for people who pre-order, get on the beta and then cancel their pre-orders. I think a lot of people did that with Medal of Honor, no?

It’s still retarded anyways.

jezcentral says:

Meh, I paid £39.99 for Frontier: Elite 2, and that was back in 1993. Yup, 20 years ago.

I’m damn old, me.

• skinlo says:

That was before you knew better though right?? :)

jezcentral says:

Nah, I’d still do it, although maybe buying it AFTER my exams would have been a better idea. :(

In fact, it worked out as even more expensive, as I also had to buy some diskettes, to make a boot disk with. :)

21. Freud says:

So this is like WoW in space or smth?

22. cyrenic says:

For something that’s invariably going to become free to play, this is pretty funny.

23. nayon says:

Origin says:

“Due to high demand and limited quantities of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™”

limited quantity when buying a digital download? lol EA

24. aircool says:

RE CE’s, I guess I’ve pre ordered the CE of Space Marine, but that’s only because I like anything Warhammer, especially the gizzits you get with some CE’s. So I can see how some people might get the CE, but the gizzits look crap.

25. Giant says:

I think this probably sums up the experience of ordering it through origin.

26. B0GiE-uk- says:

No way am I going to pay that much. Only an average looking mmo anyways.

27. ramonkahn says:

They must have gotten the conversion wrong; The game costs 199 Swiss francs = 242 US$ (CE) and 96 US$ (59£) for the normal version. I was not sure if I should buy this game before, but I guess this settles it.

28. ChromeBallz says:

I was going to criticize this, but then i remembered that i paid 180 euros for the GT5 Signature Edition.

29. Spider Jerusalem says:

Why are supplies limited for pre-orders of Star Wars: The Old Republic?

BioWare has always had a history of delivering high quality experiences for our customers and we are dedicated to making sure that track record continues with Star Wars: The Old Republic. Our focus is on not only delivering a high quality game, but also in developing a thriving online environment. In order to ensure a great user experience we have decided to limit initial launch supply. Further supplies will be released post-launch.

lol

• Commisar says:

I guess they just don’t have a 10 meg pipe yet :P

• Acorino says:

So I guess they DON’T want to get their investment back asap.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s all in the name of ‘great user experience’! Their ‘great users’ will buy the game expensively at pre-order prices.. but since they are not that numerous, they’ve decided to give the rest of us a break.

But their great users will give EA a hell of an experience.

30. bleeters says:

That sound you may hear is the sound of my interest plummeting like a stone.

And, presumably, the sound of Bioware being ‘re-evaluated to a more congruous budget’ a few months after release.

31. Generic Monk says:

lol

They’re relying on people being stupid enough to think this is a good game and a continuation of a good series anyway, why not see if they can push their luck a little further? I was never gonna buy this anyway, it’s a fucking shitstain an an amazing series.

32. killerkerara says:

Oh this isn’t too bad, just wait until they announce their great ideas for micro-transactions! I predict $25 for a new lightsaber, $20 for a better blaster, and maybe $75 for a massive ship. If we get lucky, they might even offer a monocle!

33. bit_crusherrr says:

GameStation have fancy sealed pre-order boxes for the collectors edition in stores. No idea when deposits etc will be able to be put down.

34. Cyndre says:

wow that is alot of money for a pre order….I’d expect a significant in game advantage over regular subscribers to justify that cost

35. gusone says:

No BF3 on Steam. No Origin. Join the boycott. Be one of the early adopters.

This is genuine attempt at creating a Steam EA Origin Boycott Group. Please join if you, like me, feel incredibly aggrieved by EA’s Battlefield 3 boycott on Valve’s Steam platform. Personally I find the bully boy EA tactics appalling especially after Steam saved PC gaming. This is about a massive corporation muscling in, stealing market share and leveraging off the millions of dollars Valve has invested in Steam over the last five years.

It is not so much the fact that Origin is yet another gaming platform it is the fact that we are being forced to use it to play Battlefield 3 if you want a digital version. This is a big deal but PC Gamers do have a large voice especially since Battlefield games sell more on PCs than consoles – so we should use it. Steam is the premier platform but it’s not a monopoly. You can buy digital games from a number of places. However, we all have 10’s or even 100’s of games on Steam and thanks to Steam we as a PC gaming community have been conditioned to accept digital downloads not to mention the friends social network is second to none. These are just two of the many reasons why we all love Steam.

Do you really think EA has PC Gamers interests at heart? … really? They’ve spent over $1.5bn on casual social games chasing the latest trend destroying massive shareholder value. They would ditch PC gaming in a minute as soon as it started making a loss while they continue to cosy up to Facebook – Bejeweled vs Zombiesville 9 is the future of PC Gaming right? Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam due to an exclusivity agreement with Direct2Drive breaching Steam’s T&C’s and then EA had the affront to sell it for even more on its own Origin platform. Furthermore the recently announced SWTOR Origin version has unique content (Star Wars: The Old Republic Digital Deluxe Edition) and cost $79.99 versus the packaged retail standard edition of $59.99… is this a joke? I’m not laughing and I’m not seeing the PC Gamer love and nor should you.

That’s not the way to do it. This is not the way PC Gamers work … when did less become more? You all have an opportunity to tell EA “No. That’s not how it works. I don’t like what you are doing”. To be blunt if Steam is good enough for Activison’s Call of Duty franchise (whether you love it or hate it) then it’s good enough for Battlefield. And that’s the reality. The mighty Activision is still using Steam. Say’s a hell of a lot doesn’t it? The problem we have here is if other publishers start to do the same we’re going to have 5+ platforms running – imagine having to log into 5 different social networks every day. Not to mention the stress on PCs running all these platforms in the background as they hoover up client usage data/stats and send it back to the marketing departments so that we get hammered with ads and spam. It’s a real possibility. Even today there is an article on a gaming website claiming that Steam EA game codes can be redeemed via Origin and that Origin loads the Steam overlay when you start the game (Dragon Age 2). This is just ridiculous. We just want Battlefield 3 on Steam. We have to say now… “Stop”.

Sadly, I fully expect Origin to be integrated into Battlefield 3 even in the packaged product so we cannot escape it even if you buy the disc – it’s all about them capturing CRM data in their Nucleus database . All I can suggest is that you sign up to this boycott group (link below) and you pre-order the packaged version. At least don’t let EA have the extra profits and fatter margins that they would generate from a digital copy sold on Origin. .. $79.99 for a digital product really?

I’ll see you all on the Battlefield but this whole episode has left me deflated and not as excited as I should be to the forthcoming release of Battlefield 3. Bizarrely Modern Warfare 3 now has me more excited and that’s coming from a PC Gamer who has played every Battlefield game religiously since Battlefield 1942 came out a decade or so ago. And with Red Orchestra 2 out a month or two earlier Battlefield 3 already had its work cut out. The decision is being made easier by the day.

Me, I’m just a 40 year old PC gamer who is rather annoyed by all of this, yeah call me Victor Meldrew. But I really “don’t believe it”. DICE we love you… but EA… “Just stop” . Please tell your friends (friends of friends etc) and get them to join the group. It’s time for some organised protest old school style . Everything starts off small but hopefully it will snowball into a PC Gamer movement that wants to speak up for PC Gamers. To make this happen please post the Steam Group link in any articles, blogs, Youtubes, twitters, Facebook etc about Battlefield 3. If you’ve the time then why not do it to other EA games. Let’s remind people we don’t have to accept this.

Remember it will not end here. Mass Effect 3 will be next. It’s time to act… The PC Gamer community needs you all now.

The Steam EA Origin Boycott Group

• Kaira- says:

Boycotting Origin on Steam? How… wait for it… original.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week.

jezcentral says:

Whilst I wil only buy BF3 once it becomes available on Steam, I don’t see the problem with EA doing this. It’s no different to what Valve do with their own games.

Boycott Origin for being rubbish, by all means, (I have no idea whether it is or not) but I don’t get why they can’t sell their own games.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Heh. No.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

If you REALLY have to play the generic FPS Battlefield 3 just pirate it, it’s not like you should encourage EA with money anyways.

36. PaulMorel says:

Bwahaha.

1. Install Origin …. No.
    2. Pay $75 plus $15/mo …. lol. No.

I was looking forward to this game, but I am loving the schadenfreude of watching EA prove that “they are who we thought they were.”

Is that 5 year old (American) football reference
    appropriate here?

Let me know when there is a free trial.

• Wulf says:

You mean paid trial, right? That’ll be £5 for the privilege of trying their game out for a week.

37. thehollowman says:

And this, as always with EA, is why their online store: a) exists in the first place and b) will fail horribly. Gouging people with your prices just pisses them off.

38. BirdsUseStars says:

I wrote this game off the minute I learned you wouldn’t be able to play as a wookiee. I can see that it’s all downhill from there.