Cold Comfort: The Supreme Ruler Demo

By Alec Meer on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

'Battlegoat Studios' is the best of all the developer names

When I hear the phrase ‘supreme ruler’, I think of the kid at school who had some sort of outlandish sliderule with extruding pieces festooned with measurement units I’d never heard of and a built-in magnifying glass and probably a hyperdrive or something, while the rest of us stared miserably at our 15cm strips of easily-shattered plastic.

Perhaps, in time, I shall also associate the phrase with Paradox’s brink-of-nuclear-apocalypse strategy game Supreme Ruler: Cold War. You too can now familiarise yourself with this grand strategy title thanks to this here demo.

Its 400MB put you in the shoes of the UK (that’s us!) as you attempt to defuse explosive tensions between East and West Germany. Apparently, the UK is only considered a ‘supporting nation’ by the full game – with the real conflict being between the US and USSR.

Huh. Forever the bridesmaids, us.

Anyone had a crack at Supreme Ruler yet? As Richard observes, it looks a little on the frightening side, but I probably should hone my brain on such a thing, after too many months spent obsessing over dungeon crawls.

, , , , .

1. CyberBrent says:

“You can never obsess enough over dungeon crawlers”, says this reader. This does look mind boggling though .

2. GCU Speak Softly says:

Perhaps that nice new Commissar Smith could provide us with some information?

Schaulustiger says:

From what I have read on the Paradox forums it seems to follow the tradition of most Grand Strategy games: has some great ideas, but still needs some patches and overhauls.

If you want something more playable and equally intriguing and frightening, Alec, I recommend the recent standalone Darkest Hour. It’s a superb take on the HoI formula with a lot of improvements. RPS should really take a closer look to Paradox’ classic IPs, they are enormously fun once you get the hang of it.

4. stone says:

There’s only one supreme ruler – Dredmor. What this Cold War bloke wants, I don’ care, nev’reard of ‘im.

5. VileThings says:

Steam tells me I played Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold for 180+ hours, so that’s's definetly a recommendation. Note sure if Cold War will hold up to that standard, but I’ll give it a few more months before I try it out. give the developer time to fix the inevitable bugs.

Supreme Ruler is not a game for everyone, mind you. It has a steep learning curve, but once you are in, you can have a lot of fun. Luckily most aspects of the game can be controlled by your AI advisors. Over time you will be able to turn more and more of them off, as you learn the different aspects.

6. MrThingy says:

There’s a walkthrough by someone with a press copy that’s quite interesting for anyone starting out.

As the gumby man said… MY BRAIN HURTS!

7. Super Bladesman says:

Number of demo downloads there: 112.

Oh yes, this is hardcore :D

8. sinister agent says:

Certain types of those little 15cm rulers would curl up into a neat little swirl if you held them over a bunsen burner at the right angle. It was a deeply satisfying display, and only moderately toxic.

As for Supreme Ruler, I’m still in the early stages of it. I kind of like it, but as with every game that models it, I inevitably spiral into massive inflation and have to spend years sitting there doing nothing to counter it. Woe.

9. Torgen says:

The P-38 was a beautiful, beautiful airplane. That is all.