Secret Wars: Mirror’s Edge vs Spider-Man

By Alec Meer on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:27 pm.

I snarked on Twitter a few days back that the people making the new Spider-Man film (a reboot, hilariously) must be more than a little familiar with Mirror’s Edge given the astonishingly familiar first-person-perspective ultra-parkour sequence in its trailer, but this cheeky compar-o-video makes for proof positive. ..

Mash-up made by CVG, and as far as I can tell the ME footage is cut to match the editing of the Spidey stuff, so it isn’t a scene-for-scene copy. But still…

Oh, Man of Spiders, you have been caught in your own web of lies. Or web of tributes, anyway. I can’t imagine they didn’t think there was no crossover between Spider-Man fans and game-players, so it’s probably an extremely knowing reference and there’s a bunch of Hollywood types sniggering at how clever we foolishly think we all are for spotting it.

Here’s the full The Amazing Spider-Man trailer for the interested/unaware, by the way.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeemo. Man, if there was one superhero who just doesn’t suit a dark’n’moody filmic reinterpretation, it’s your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man. Having also found the Raimi Spidey movies to have veered too close to a sort of soap opera panto, I was hoping this one might focus on a reasonably well-adjusted Peter Parker wise-cracking while duffing up petty criminals, fleeing from bumbling cops and bickering with J. Jonah Jameson, rather than dwell on tragedy and destiny and all that po-faced jazz. Also, I’m really quite familiar with how he became Spider-Man at this stage. Do we really, honestly, truly need to see it yet again?

(I am very tired and grumpy.)
(More so than usual I mean.)
(I’ll have a cup of tea and see if I feel better).

Anyway: shame the Spider-Man game license rests with either Disney or Activision at the moment, because DICE pointing their ME tech at the inevitable The Amazing Surly-Man game could have been a splendid thing.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. lunarplasma says:

Film does not interest me at all.

• N'Al says:

Then again, film will have Andrew Garfield. He was absolutely excellent in Red Riding 1974 and Social Network.

AndrewC says:

And dreamy.

• Daniel Rivas says:

It’s him from Sugar Rush! The not-gay gay one. What’s he doing in films?

• Urthman says:

Yeah, who cares about the film.

The real question is whether this means we’re getting a first-person Spider-Man tie-in game using the Mirror’s Edge engine.

“MEER! GET OUT OF MY OFFICE AND DON’T COME BACK WITHOUT SCREENSHOTS OF THE NEW MIRROR’S EDGE SPIDER-MAN GAME! AND WHERE’S MY COFFEE?!”

• Stephen Roberts says:

He was also bloody fantastic in Never Let Me Go, which would probably be this random internet voices film of 2011 (it was released in 2011, right?) despite being shit on by the staunchly unimpressive, tight jawed shrimping about that Keira Knightley does in every film she’s in.

What er… Vidjer games herpderpbuttz

• dadioflex says:

I <3 Sugar Rush.

School girl lesbian television FTW.

Thirith says:

Add Boy A to that list. I kinda liked the Tobey Maguire Spidermans (didn’t watch the third), but I’m not all that invested in the IP – but Andrew Garfield has made me interested in this one.

• zbeeblebrox says:

I’ll watch this movie if Andrew Garfield gets another scene where he says “LAWYER UP, ASSHOLE” and smashes someone’s computer against their desk.

2. BooleanBob says:

“it’s probably an extremely knowing reference and there’s a bunch of Hollywood types snigger at how clever we think we all are for spotting it”

Well, it got their trailer reposted on one of the biggest gaming sites on the net, so I doubt they’re exactly burning up with shame, hiding under the blankets, etc.

3. Puppetmast0r says:

Still, it’s too similar.

4. jon_hill987 says:

DC > Marvel

• Nicholas Totton says:

You seems to have hit the wrong key. You obviously meant to hit this one <

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Wrong sign there.

• G_Man_007 says:

Definitely wrong sign, as evidenced by Thor being soooo much better than The Green Lantern. Even X-Men First Class was better, in spite of glaring continuity issues (I can understand a reboot, but either stick to what has been laid out in the other films, or create anew, you can’t have both. I bet if Marvel retained the film rights to X-Men just like the Avengers linked properties, then it would all be cleaner). So far, the only DC films that are any good are the Batmen, and having seen the trailer for TDKR, I’m hungry for more Bat. The Spidey trailer looks good though, couldn’t give a monkeys one way or ther other about any emo, I just care that Rhys Ifans is Doc Connors…!

• MadTinkerer says:

@GMan: Apparently the story between the continuity errors in First Class is that they are not errors. FC is by the director ( and/or producer? or something) of the first two movies. He and/or they did not like X3, or the Wolverine movie, etc, so they basically decided to split off their continuity into FC, X1, & X2 and none of the others are considered canon by the writers of FC.

Sort of like what they did with Superman Returns ignoring Superman III & IV, except FC > Returns.

• G_Man_007 says:

So a right shower of turd and bollocks then. I’m afraid I can’t ignore them in the same way that Highlander 2 was never made. NEVER.

5. Jimmeh says:

“Eeeeeeeeeeeeemo. Man, if there was one superhero who just doesn’t suit a dark’n’moody filmic reinterpretation, it’s Spider-Man.”

This is exactly how I’ve felt about every Spider-Man movie so far. I was under the impression he was an eight-legged, wise-cracking, ball of sarcasm.

• Masked Dave says:

God no. Yes, he’s very funny when talking to other superheroes/fighting villains and hiding behind the mask, but inside Peter Parker has always been a wreck of misery and depression.

• Jimmeh says:

In that case I hope they can find a better balance than the previous three whine-a-thons.

• DrGonzo says:

Spider Man was an irritating cock in the comics too.

• rayne117 says:

“I do not want to discuss “feelings”, I want to bottle them up until they destroy me from within.”

That is Spiderman 3. That movie was not good.

• dadioflex says:

Somebody hasn’t read the comics. Spider Man was specifically created by Stan Lee to be an identifiable character, with a deep back-story and beset with the sort of problems every day folk face… uh, every day. I read them back in the seventies in Marvel UK B&W reprints and that dude had MANY troubles and was faced with his own and others mortality on a regular basis. He remains my favourite superhero character and I have loved all the films, EVEN the third one, though I loved it the way Dot Cotton loved Nick.

• Carwash says:

@Felixader
      You see at approx 2:12 in the trailer that he does have those mechanical webslingers, not biological ones, also as someone else said, it was confirmed a long time ago he would have these.

6. CaspianRoach says:

Wait what, did that film just start everything anew? Will they be doing the same spiderman movies every ten years? Aren’t there some more interesting comicbook heroes?

• Stupoider says:

As far as I know this one’s dedicated to The Amazing Spiderman comics so expect Gwen Stacy from the start and the manmade webshooters.

• Kdansky says:

Ten? Comic books need their origin story told every three, at least. Surely, nobody cares about what happens later on, only the beginning is of interest.

• Felixader says:

@Stupoider Look at the review picture for the Trailer (second video in this article/news/whatever).
      Doesn’t look like it will have those.

• xsikal says:

Felixader, actually it’s been confirmed that he will use non-organic (i.e. mechanical) web shooters, so Stupoider is spot-on.

As far as why they are rebooting… the last Spider-man was a mess, they realized Kirsten Dunst was a terrible casting choice for MJ, and Tobey Maguire was not available anymore.

This isn’t even the most egregious reboot… that honor goes to the new Siperman film, which is intended to reboot the franchise, following the Kevin Spacey/Brandon Routh movie which was itself intended to be a reboot of sorts.

• Urthman says:

I look forward to the new series of Harry Potter movies starting in 2012. It’s a darker, more brooding reinterpretation of the character.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Good. One of the reasons why I’m glad they’re finally done with the Harry Potter movies. I’d like a do-over where the lead three characters have a wider acting range than a shoe.

7. DBG says:

Do we really, honestly, truly need to see it yet again?

But the version we did saw… suxxored!

• Grey_Ghost says:

No kidding!

• lazersquids says:

Reboots are aimed at drawing in new audiences and ”the kids” NO one cares if you already know how Parker became the amazing Spider-Man.

8. JackShandy says:

When it comes down to it I’m not really that interested in the emotional turmoil of a guy who can swing from buildings.

9. Chris D says:

I may be getting old but didn’t we only just have one of these?

• Zogtee says:

I think it’s a new thing. They just remake the same films over and over, and call them reboots.

Colthor says:

They probably just realised that they got the theme-tune wrong last time.

10. jerkstoresup says:

When will it be ok for games/media to animate fluid first-person movement without being compared to Mirror’s Edge? It’s almost as silly as “Doom-like” was.

• Alec Meer says:

Whenever they aren’t blatantly based on Mirror’s Edge specifically.

• Kirioth says:

Based on? That’s a bit of a weak phrase for this particular case. There would have been some nods, some similar moves, but ultimately a number of differences if it was just “based on”. Copying the sequence wholesale and switching out the colour of the scenery goes a step further than that.

• Berzee says:

Legs and Hands: They Always Look The Same.
      though sliding animations, do not always need to look as much the same as these did ;)
      I think it’s not outside the realm of coincidence though. I don’t think they copied keyframes :)

Kirioth, the Mirror’s Edge video was a lot of sequences tied together, wasn’t it?

• jerkstoresup says:

Yes, the Mirror’s Edge footage was recorded and edited specifically to match the Spiderman trailer. If you fix a camera to the eyes of an acrobatic person and show all of their limbs, it’s going to look “like Mirror’s Edge”. Kind of like how a game where you walk around in first-person with your arms and gun on the screen was “Doom-like” for quite a while.

• MartinNr5 says:

I agree with the store who sells Jerksoup – this is a bit of a stretch. Sure, there are similarities but not enough to call it even a tribute.

Had the film done the exact same run as the Mirrors Edge trailer, then you’d have a story. Now it’s just some parkour that I think they threw in because “Hey, that new jumping and running thing that the kids do all over buildings, isn’t that called Parker, just like Peter? We have to have some of that!”

• LennyLeonardo says:

Oh man, this thread was getting boring until you made the ‘Peter Parkour’ joke. Good work.

11. doubledope says:

Wow, that First Person part was really too much CGI for me. It looks like something I could have made, while I admire the art of others where you cannot tell it is in fact CGI. It is good when someone making 3D cannot tell if it is 3D. But this. Mehh, I think they need a better SFX department.

• GeneralERA says:

I wouldn’t say I could have made that, but it was definitely too much CGI. When I watched the first youtube vid I thought it was a trailer for a new Spiderman game, which would have been epic. Instead it’s a reboot of a movie series that just ended like two years ago? I don’t understand this. Who wants to watch more Spiderman? I think we’ve had enough.

• neolith says:

My thoughts exactly.

• neolith says:

edit: My comment was in response to doubledope.

• nimnio says:

I don’t think there’s really such thing as “too much CGI” as long as it’s so good that I hardly notice it. The CGI in the trailer is incredibly ‘bad': like GeneralERA said, it looks like a video game; it doesn’t look real.

12. Ryan Huggins says:

This was an incredibly obvious “inspiration” from Mirrors Edge. xD That video was pretty funny honestly. I’m honestly surprised, but also still looking forward to seeing the movie because while it may be a new origin movie (about the same thing), it’s always very fun to watch a reboot and compare it to the original. I actually wish the directors and filmmakers luck in their project and I will definitely see this movie when it comes out.

sasayan says:

Up until watching the trailer, I thought we were talking about a new Spider-Man game, having completely forgotten about the movie. Parkour Spidey could be pretty fun, though I’m sure the obligatory tie in game will be anything but.

I just hope this time they don’t have him growing spinnerets on his wrists. Bring back nerdy tech geek Peter Parker.

14. chabuhi says:

I gave up on Hollywood when I recently saw the trailer for “Footloose”, which appears to be a shot-for-shot remake of the 1984 movie that wasn’t good to begin with.

Actually, I gave up on Hollywood when they foisted the blasphemous Russel Brand “Arthur” abomination on us.

Actually, I gave up on Hollywood when they outlawed originality.

• Jason Moyer says:

If this all culminates in Larry The Cable Guy and the Holy Grail I’ll kill myself.

• Fiatil says:

Oh god don’t say that, they can hear us! What have you doneeeeee?

• Muzman says:

Hey, in the new Footloose, instead of though sheer religious nutcasery, the town banned dancing after a tragic car accident kills a lot of kids (drinking and driving still ok, however). .
      It’s Health and Safety Gone Mad! instead of Religious Dogma Gone Mad!
      That makes it a carefully considered update, not a remake.

15. step21 says:

This reminds me: Mirror’s Edge should have an easy-easy mode, as sadly I am still stuck at some stupid timed part, where the wallrun never works after pressing some stupid button. Apart from that though I like the idea, the graphics etc …

stahlwerk says:

If it frees the Raimis to do something awesome again, I say good riddance to McGuires Arachno-Man (not that I didn’t like the first one, the only one of them I have watched).

• Jason Moyer says:

It’s hard to believe this is the same guy who made the Evil Dead trilogy and For Love Of The Game.

• Fumarole says:

I love this bit:

Director Uwe Boll contacted Blizzard about directing the film, but Blizzard refused. As quoted by MTV news Uwe Boll stated: “I got in contact with Paul Sams of Blizzard, and he said, ‘We will not sell the movie rights, not to you… especially not to you. Because it’s such a big online game success, maybe a bad movie would destroy that ongoing income, what the company has with it.”

17. nayon says:

Isn’t Spider-Man supposed to be funny and feel-good? This is like a gritty My Little Pony film adaptation where the ponies have to drink virgin blood to survive.

18. Nallen says:

“what makes money?”
    “comic books.”
    “Ok I like Spiderman, let’s do Spiderman.”
    “We did.”
    “Okay let’s do a sequel.”
    “We’ve done two;”
    “Okay a reboot then.”
    “It was only ten yea–”
    “GOD DAMMIT I WANT A SPIDERMAN MOVIE AND IF YOU’RE NOT THE YES MAN TO MAKE IT HAPPEN I’LL HIRE ANOTHER, GOT IT?”
    “Well not re–uh. Yes.”

• Urthman says:

Sony has to make a Spider-Man movie every few years or the rights revert back to Marvel.

That tells you all you need to know about the quality prospects for this one.

• Dreamhacker says:

Whoa, that is… tragic, to say the least. If I hadn’t already stopped watching Hollywood movies, I would gladly stop again.

19. Raiyan 1.0 says:

A hoodie? A fucking hoodie?

20. The Sentinel says:

Are they kidding? The origin…again? AGAIN?? For all the tiny tots who haven’t seen the recent films either in cinema or on DVD/Blu-ray about a thousand times already? If only Sony Pictures had one giant head I could smack upside…!

Entirely coincidentally (well done, Alec!) I just got Web of Shadows through the post today. The game is very good, almost up to the standards of the console Spiderman 2 (film version). Web-swinging is great, both costumes are cool and have different attacks, Luke Cage is a pipe-hitting motherf*cker…what more can you ask for in a Spidey game? Awesome.

21. Xercies says:

Am I the only one who really liked the previous Raimi Spiderman films, I even though the 3rd one was ok though i do grant there is a lot of problems with it.

• tyrsius says:

• Starky says:

The first was decent, the second was excellent and the 3rd was dire.

Sadly though that pitiful 3rd film has turned everyone into haters of the whole trilogy.

• symmetrian says:

First one decent, second one awful, third one worse.

The first one didn’t require a lot of acting.

Oh, the second one was almost okay thanks to Doc Oc.

Vandelay says:

Didn’t really get the ferocious hate of the third film. It is a bit of a mess, with far too many bad guys, but it isn’t the abomination everyone seems to make it out to be. Peter Parker as Spiderman was always a bit of a dick and it showed that seeping into Peter himself, which was an interesting idea.

Edit: Although I really don’t understand why the focus wasn’t on the rivalry between Peter/Spiderman and Harry/Green Goblin. Was obviously what the trilogy was building up to and it kind of got forgotten.

The other two are excellent though, so I’m even more bemused by the hate it seems to be getting from this comment thread. Best super hero films, besides the Nolan Batman films (possibly the second Hellboy is better too, but need to re-watch it at some point.)

As for this new one, shameless cash in that seems completely pointless.

• Acorino says:

LOVED the second one. It’s the first I watched. It was a perfect mix of action, drama and romance. Strong characters which I had a quite strong emotional bond to.
      First one was just decent in comparison, but also very enjoyable. Avoided the third one so far. Looks like it is full of forced drama. And stupid relationship trouble. I mean, again? Uh…

22. skyturnedred says:

Looks like another film ruined by trying to be too dark (emo), bad CGI and the obvious 3D crap they just have to cram in all over the screen.

But I will still watch it because I’m in love with Emma Stone.

23. clownst0pper says:

I don’t understand… How can they reboot a reboot?

Hasn’t Spiderman only recently been remade…but they are making him again?

Eh?

• Dakia says:

It certainly holds no interest for me. I spent most of the time while I was watching the trailer scratching my head and wondering why the hell this was being redone already.

• patricij says:

it’s getting a bit meta, yeah…However, they do rely on the fact the memory of an average John Doe is rather short thanks to the use of Google for the most trivial information and TV. I believe us, PC gamers, being a bit different. Some of us still carry a good deal of PC gaming history in our heads and could give a decent lecture on the very spot. So we do notice reboots of reboots…to our disadvantage :)

24. frenz0rz says:

“I can’t imagine they didn’t think there was no crossover between Spider-Man fans and game-players”.

This makes my head hurt.

25. Drake Sigar says:

Now they just need Kristen Stewart to play Mary Jane.

26. Jibb Smart says:

When two people dress up as zombies for Halloween, there are going to be similarities. When a movie and a game try to make the viewer/player feel like they’re doing parkour by using a first person perspective, they’re going to look similar. This trailer isn’t Mirror’s Edge like. Mirror’s Edge and this trailer are both parkour like.

And who hasn’t wondered what it’d look like to see through Spiderman’s eyes?

The only “inspiration” I see is the reflection thing, and even that’s iffy. A reflection is an obvious way to show a first-person player who they are. Doing it on a shiny window is a no-brainer for Spiderman. But I’ll grant that they perhaps saw the Mirror’s Edge trailer and thought “that’d be a cool way to finish off our Spidey trailer!”.

Jibb

• paterah says:

I think the reason the trailer gets compared to Mirror’s Edge is because Mirror’s Edge is the one single game that you can do this stuff. It’s a unique game and not forgettable, therefore anyone who has ever played Mirror’s Edge and has seen this trailer it immediately reminds him of that. Hell the first think I did when I watched the trailer 2 days ago was to hit Ctrl+F and search about mirrors edge in the comments lol.

EDIT: btw I can’t remember if the jumping-on-the-building-and-reflection scene was normally in the game or was done intentionally by the guy.

• Jibb Smart says:

For sure, but having something remind you of Mirror’s Edge and accusing something of being a rip-off of Mirror’s Edge are two totally different stories. I was disappointed but not hugely surprised at Kotaku’s article about the supposed rip-off, but very surprised at RPS for saying it’s copying just because there’s a video about it.

Jibb

• Pointless Puppies says:

The issue doesn’t like in the mere concept, but in the execution as well. Watch the video and notice the similarities not only in the concept of first-person parkour, but also the similarities in camera changes and emphasis on specific sensory details. Like another commenter in here said above me, even though running in first person will almost always look the same, sliding won’t. And in here it does look very similar. Other things like climbing relatively short objects are executed almost in exactly the same fashion. I can think of about a dozen ways of pulling off a “climbing” action in first person, but here they conveniently managed to do it in essentially the same exact way.

I’m not saying they outright “ripped off” Mirror’s Edge, but it’s very common for animators to look at other source material to help with implementation. It doesn’t sound weird at all for someone to say “We’ve been told we need first person parkour. Is there any footage of that?” “Movie-wise? No, but there’s this video game that was entirely based around parkour in first person. Check that out”.

27. Spliter says:

As emo as this movie looks you gotta admit one thing:
    Now you want a first person parkour based spider man game.

28. DarkByke says:

What happened to the Spiderman Time game?

29. llfoso says:

Spiderman should really be a comedy.

30. pilouuuu says:

The only good thing in this one could be the fact that they rebooted it to include Spidey in Avengers 2! Really, all this reboot, remake stuff from Hollywood is getting ridiculous! And yes, I don’t want the origin story all over again! Just skip it and show Spidey kicking ass in N.Y.!

• Jibb Smart says:

If they must reboot the origin story, do it Incredible Hulk style — have a few flash-backs and then get on with the film. While the movie didn’t climax well in my opinion, it chose a deeper protagonist/antagonist story rather than tacking one onto the end of an origin/self-exploration story like the original Iron Man did.

31. Big Daddy Dugger says:

This looked like a decent B-movie until 1:08

32. DOLBYdigital says:

I cry inside as I see the gaming industry turning into the movie industry…. No originality, no innovation, just the same sh#t over and over again…. except with the indies….. *sigh*

33. Koozer says:

That boy does not wear glasses. Also, why is there a radioactive spider in the home lighting department?

34. Dozer says:

I prefer Mitre-Spam.

35. gwathdring says:

I want a spiritual successor to Mirror’s Edge now. I understand that it flopped and they wouldn’t want to do a direct sequel, but it was so good in so many ways, the mechanics deserve another visit.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Apparently some DICE guy recently made a small remark about experimenting with Mirror’s Edge in the Frostbite 2 Engine. I think it’s pretty much in internal mode right now but I’d wager it’s definitely getting made.

36. Achilles84 says:

The reason for the reboot is for a future movie about The Avengers I believe…. They need their own spidey guy for the movie…

• gwathdring says:

Yes, but if they expect audiences to know the history of Spiderman BEFORE watching their Avengers movie, isn’t a several year old movie recent enough to assume Spiderman’s origins are understood? Why not make a film that leads up to his Avenger debut from partway through his career as Spiderman?

37. YourMessageHere says:

Screw spiderman. Mirror’s Edge film, please.

38. Boarnoah says:

I rather play a game with a spider as the main character!

39. zbeeblebrox says:

20 bucks says, after Peter gains his powers, there’ll be an unnecessary dig against organic web shooters.