Epic Fail: Bulletstorm Flops (But Unreal Lives)

By Alec Meer on July 25th, 2011 at 11:31 am.

There, there Big Hair Dude. It's not your fault. Well, maybe it is a bit, for not looking like Generic Soldier Man. That's all people want now.

This kind of thing just scares the hell out of me. While Bulletstorm isn’t exactly the kind of game I’m going to put on a pedestal and hail as the one true future of electronic entertainment, it was a new franchise, a rare shooter that didn’t take itself deathly seriously, a good-looker and a game that at least attempted a few bonus ideas. It did a lot of things right, and it was clearly having a great time in the process. Yet it didn’t turn a profit for devs People Can Fly and Epic.

That’s according to Epic president Mike Capps, as told to Kotaku – apparently the tongue-in-cheek man-shooter “didn’t make money for us.” Boo! Why it flopped – let’s not mince words – isn’t gone into. Increasing mainstream audience unwillingness to try unknown names? Not-quite-rapturous enough reviews? Fox News’ moronic, unresearched, knee-jerk war on it? Frankly pretty daft, 80s-esque box art that too many people took seriously? Who knows. But it’s a shame. Bulletstorm tried far harder than most big-budget games to purely entertain, and a few years ago I’m quite sure it would have been a huge hit. These are dark times.

Capps softens the blow somewhat by revealing that Epic haven’t given up either on People Can Fly or making big, bolshy games. “The next thing we do with People Can Fly will be great.”

A highly speculative mind that likes to make leaps of faith without any evidence whatsoever (hullo!) might be inclined to try and link that to a second interview, with Industry Gamers, in which Capps also hinted that Unreal might be due for a little new love in the not-too-distant. “We’ve been sort of focused on making new properties, which you’ve seen with Shadow Complex, BulletStorm and Infinity Blade, but sometimes I think just as a businessman that maybe we should be spending some more time with our existing franchises…

“It’s been a long time since we shipped an Unreal game, and it’s an awfully loved franchise that we hold pretty dear here. We haven’t been giving it the attention it deserves.”

I would like a new Unreal Tournament, please. And preferably one with completely different art direction to the murky yet excessive UT3.

, , , .

1. Vexing Vision says:

Sadness! I liked Bulletstorm, although my beef with it was that the console porting had major performance and texture issues on the PC.

Oh well. :(

2. Angel Dust says:

I rented it for the 360, had a blast and fully intend to pick it up when it drops in price. The price was too high for any game, let alone a linear FPS.

Malibu Stacey says:

This just in, aiming so called “triple A” titles at 12 year olds (a demographic with little disposable income & thus more likely to illegally download) apparently doesn’t sell bucket loads of copies of said “triple A” titles.
    Consider me surprised.

Also just to add to the other commentors saying similar things, I would even think about buying this game since it employs GFWL.

• Tatourmi says:

This being a self-aware parody on most of modern videogames tropes I doubt it is aimed at 12 years old, which would, for the vast majority of them, be unable to “get it”. Bulletstorm was kind of a clever boy and had great moments of greatness, along with the weapons to back them up.

4. Pani says:

I’m still waiting for it to hit a steam sale, then I’ll pick it up.

I’m cheap like that.

5. empty_other says:

Did i miss something with this game? I was slightly hyped on this game, but tried the demo, and was instantly repelled.

Bad humor (as bad as Duke Nukem forever),
    no cool weapons,
    horrible maps (lots of linear corridors with generic rubble as chest high walls),
    no jumping (instead forced to slide, wtf?),
    and enemies with no AI which instantly dies.
    The demo just felt boring.

• Thants says:

Yes, you did. It has actually pretty good, well written humour. It’s got some very cool weapons, I mean there’s an explosive flail that wraps around enemies, a bouncing exploding cannon ball, four barrelled shotgun, a rocket-propelled drill, ect.

And the levels aren’t horrible, they’re just an area to use all your skills in. It’s the furthest thing from boring.

wengart says:

It was the /best/ game to play drunk and I only played the demo.

drewski says:

I really wanted to like it, but the time I spent with it on consoletoy was characterised by initial snickering enthusiasm which rapidly deteriorated into tiresome cheevochasing.

The problem with the skillshot system was that you couldn’t really just be a badass – you had to keep ticking off the checklist of new things or you lost power relative to your enemies. All I really wanted to do was shred scenery, but instead I felt like if I wasn’t getting all the skillshots as I went along, I was going to pay for it.

And checklists, even of supposedly cool things, are just a little bit too much like accounting for me.

8. Glycerine says:

It seems like at this point i’m just re-iterating what a lot of people have already said, but here goes anyway. It seemed very expensive at release for what (i assume – i didn’t hear anything to the contrary in the marketing or reviews) is a fairly short single-player title with a niche multiplayer aspect. The marketing didn’t do a particularly great job of making me think it was enough of a beautiful and unique snowflake to make it to the top of my priority list.

From everything i read, the multiplayer was the most interesting part for me, but the chances of finding a few friends who were also willing to shell out full price for it at release were pretty slim (in fact i think i know 1 person who brought it at release).

It didn’t sound like the kind of thing i’d go crazy for, but probably something that’d be a bit of nonsense fun for a while. It went onto my ‘pick it up when it’s under £10′ list too – it may be shooter of the year, but is it likely to lose any of the things that made it that between it’s release and this year’s winter sales? Probably not. It’ll probably do alright on the ‘long tail’ (which i guess is the robot dinosaur everybody’s talking about).

For me personally, probably the thing that’s stopped me considering buying it above all else is actually the abundance of high-quality indie and steam-sale games available. I have a huge stash of high-quality, sub-£10 games that will happily occupy hours and hours of my time, the vast majority of which i’ve not completed yet (and a worryingly large number i’ve not even had chance to start yet). For an AAA title to get £30 – £50 of my cash on release nowadays, it really has to work pretty damn hard to make me think it’s going to be much more fun than the pile of other games i could be playing.

9. mwoody says:

I think I’ll have to try Bulletstorm once it’s on a Steam sale. There seem to be two camps in these comments: those who like the game, and those who haven’t played it.

10. Freud says:

I lost interest when I found out you were kinda forced to use the skill shots and different ones to earn points to unlock new stuff. That gave the impression it was less of a shooter and more of a gimmick. The running commentary in the videos turned me off big time too. Still haven’t bought it. Don’t even look if it is on sale.

11. Wilson says:

Hmm, must try a demo of this. When I first heard about it, I wasn’t really interested because it sounded like just another shooter to me. Then I read the RPS verdict or wot I think or something, and I was more interested, but in the end I never bothered with it, because I had lots of other games to play and because I didn’t think the main part of the gameplay (fighting to get points, as I perceived it) was something I’d enjoy enough, certainly not at full price.

12. bill says:

- Unappealing first impression.
    - GFWL
    - Good for renting rather than buying

I’d guess it was a combination of the above.

13. mmalove says:

“Its a shame, our interactive game about shooting people and kicking them in the balls didn’t sell as well as we hoped”

You know… if another civilization ever finds the remains of ours, they will find us most troubled and intriguing…

14. johnpeat says:

Y’know I enjoyed Bulletstorm enormously BUT I suspect it’s failure has more to do with it’s core gameplay than all this ‘maturity’ bullshit.

Whilst the score attack idea was great, the execution just isn’t all that.

A good score attack shooter will offer many strategies and tricks to enable ever-bigger scores but that’s often absent here, with long periods where you really have to just “follow the corridor” – indeed it’s often a score-attack shooter with nothing to shoot!!

If they’d tightened that aspect up, more people would have thrown their time into it – the highscores would have been greater, the tutorial and trainer videos would have been greater and thus the sales would have been greater.

Instead the score attack bit feels more tacked-on – hell I think ‘The Club’ is a better score-attack game (actually a MUCH better one) than this.

Sales are no indicator of game quality anymore tho – take Vanquish for example, it’s as polished and brilliant a third-person shooter as had ever been made and yet it languishes in the ‘fail’ bin because people didn’t take to it (their loss – it’s a fantastic title).

Someone earlier said that this is more fun than GoW – which is certainly true, but look at their relative successes and then notice that GoW cultivated and grew an online aspect which this didn’t and then you ‘ll see where your sales are coming from perhaps???

15. Po0py says:

I’m not sure that a new Unreal Tournament is actually needed but I’ll happily accept a new Unreal game. Even some kind of remake. The advances in Unreal tech would be a perfect fit for that kind of shooty – puzzley – explorey time game. Even so, if Bulletstorm can’t turn decen’t profit I don’t see how Unreal can. They have let the franchise go a little bit. Unreal 2 was a decen’t shooter but very different to unreal. XMP multiplayer was an absolute blast, though. I’d take another pop at that.

16. Kefren says:

Disregarding the quality of the game itself, this kind a statement from a developer is incredibly shortsighted. It only comes about because they focus on the launch period, spending a fortune on advertising and pinning all their hopes on a small window of sales. What utter rubbish. Nowadays anyone sensible would be more interested in the long tail, the steady stream of income that can go on forever. All they have to do is make sure the game is available on the main digital distribution sites without any DRM beyond what the site has (so DRM on Steam, but not GamersGate). Then get a steady trickle of income. Then add it to GOG DRM-free when it gets even older. If the game requires servers then just release a later version that includes LAN to get round it (though all games should have LAN anyway!) I have no sympathy for people who are so shortsighted to focus all on one small time period.

wengart says:

IIRC Crysis didn’t make a profit until 6 months or maybe a year after release.

Although I could see the long tail being an issue for a company that NEEDS money now. They might now be able to last long enough to see their game make money.

17. Joe Maley says:

I put at least 10 hours into the bulletstorm xbox demo, then I bought the PC version on release and needless to say it didn’t hold my interest for longer than playing through the campaign. The score-challenge run thingies weren’t as fun when the leader boards were hacked.

How hard would it have been to keep track of the score server side?

18. MrBucket says:

I’m in the minority of modern gamers where I generally don’t care if a game has good multiplayer. I play the single player game, beat it – and if it was good, I’ll jack up the difficulty and do it again. I’ve been insanely BORED of the whole FPS genre for quite some time. That said, I’ve played through Bulletstorm 6 times so far and I’m probably going to go through and play it again. It stinks that it was a flop despite the all the hype about its points system, but like another famous flop “Last Action Hero” – I love it, and I’ll keep entertaining myself with it. I loved the graphics, loved the dialogue, and the sheer lunacy of the entire game just keeps bringing me back. So many FPS’s as of late are hell bent on being super realistic and serious – and to me that just takes away from it being a game.

Skeletor68 says:

I’m in the same camp as you. I much prefer single player and also love Last Action Hero.

I mean, ‘Ice to meet you… to cone a phrase’ is one of the funniest self-aware action movie one-liners of all time!

19. 3lbFlax says:

I enjoyed the demo and bought the game, but before long I became frustrated that while I was trying to get into the scoring mechanism, the game was more interested in putting me into an on-rails mounted gun section, or making me control a robot, or whatever. Since the USP for me was the scoring system, this was bad news.

All this is a shame because yeah, it was new IP and it did seem that a lot of effort was put into it, but on playing it it still seemed to me to have a lot of standard FPS problems, so I just got rid of it and moved on. So while I certainly wouldn’t say it deserved to fail – an unpleasant thing to say of any game – I don’t see any particular reason why it should have been a success. But I think I’d say that about the vast majority of modern £40 FPS titles.

20. jay35 says:

Unless the next great thing they intend do with the dev is to shut it down.

21. Milky1985 says:

It had major failings, one of which iroinically was that the PC version was not that good, it had some major settings issues (there wasn’t any) , far to ohigh system specs and quite frankly VERY repetiative gameplay, but not just that (as thats the point of the game), no real reason to go abck and get more stars, no decent unlockables (the “echos” levels were just segmetns from the single player, so you had already done them)

It was a good idea with some lazy implementation and antoehr exmaple of the current view of the PC market at the same time.

22. tungstenHead says:

Reading the comments, it looks like two big things put people off of Bulletstorm.

Content. Which is fair enough. It’s not an entirely polite game and there are certain elements of horribleness to it. I think there was a certain absence of quietude in the marketing materials to balance the raging madness.

Price. Full retail price for a game that’s largely singleplayer even with a seemingly limited multiplayer component isn’t going to sit well with gamers on a budget. PC players especially are getting very very spoiled by sales and low-priced indie games and time is their most limited resource.

I’m a weirdo and didn’t really have the computer for it at the time. I think now’s a good time to buy it, though.

On the topic of a new Unreal game (which stokes me): If Epic makes another Unreal Tournament title, it needs the art direction of Unreal Championship 2. I really dug UC2′s balance between detail, cartooniness, sci-fi whimsy and colour. I think it’s the high mark of the series’ visuals. As for a singleplayer game, I think I’m more interested in seeing what Epic can pull out of their hat more than anything. If it’s not a contemplative exploring game like Unreal 1, then I hope they take full advantage of the batshit politics of the Unreal universe. There’s enough unexplored spaces in the Unreal universe that Epic can afford to be pretty creative in their story structure. A remake of the original would be a welcome thing though. Something a little contemplative in the midst of the military shooter madness.

23. amplifiedhands says:

Even though i LOVE UT – I really would like to see a proper Unreal sequel, i didn’t really care for the second one, because i found the setting on Na Pali really interesting. RETURN TO NAPALI 2.

24. szlevi says:

Bulletstorm flopped because it was an utter piece of sh!t rail-styled console junk with 2-steps wide path and zero originality, sorry.
    Multiplayer was just as a dumb nonsense as single player story – perhaps great for buttom-smashing dumb teens playing their consoles in the basement…. errr, not really, as this story shows.
    Did I mention it looked like a typical console garbage (shitty, outdated, plastic-looking Unreal Engine)?

And hell yes, I bought DNF and I kinda liked it – but that’s nostalgy, nothing else. Bulletstorm offered nothing more than DNF sans nostalgic dumb jokes and lines.

Only reason I bought this junk was I haven’t noticed GfWL – but I took notice now: as an old UT-fan I won’t buy any more Epic game, they turned into another junk-factory.

FYI using Gaming for Windows Live is BEYOND ANY OFFENSE – it’s downright MALICIOUS, all I can say is ‘go **** yourself, PCF/Epic.

25. Rebel44 says:

I refuse to buy any game that use GFWL.

shoptroll says:

My guess is that it flopped because it lacked the words “Call” and “Duty” in the title. Although, Borderlands managed to sell 3 million copies, so maybe that’s not the full story.

Actual sales data would be nice too. I don’t doubt they didn’t break even on the title, but I wonder by how much.

While I’d love to see a new Unreal game, I don’t think Epic should give up on Bulletstorm. I think the game is on to something but I think they did a terrible job with the post-game support. The PC port was weak for two companies that have solid roots on the platform. The DLC pricing was borderline extortion too. Go for a second iteration, tighten up the execution and see what happens. If people still aren’t biting then consider killing it.

But, games like this need to exist. We need FPS games that are about having a good time, instead of being just grumpy men in realistic settings. We need our Borderlands, our Serious Sams, even our Dukes. Bulletstorm was a nice addition to this family even if it didn’t fully fire on all cylinders.

I’m also wondering if charging $60 for an unproven IP wasn’t a smart idea either.

27. Kolchak says:

“BULLETSTORM DEMO COMING TO 360/PS3 JANUARY 25th. In other news, PC gamers are grumpy about this.” – http://twitter.com/#!/therealcliffyb/status/25979475304906752

I was in a perfect demographic for Bulletstorm. I loved Painkiller, I loved Unreal, Unreal Tournament and UT2004. But when you decide to treat the PC like a second class citizen I take notice. And as a result I still haven’t even bothered playing the Bulletstorm demo that was released a month after the game came out.

I know Epic is making tons of money off chest high cover based shooters now combined with a ton of companies using the Unreal Engine. So I don’t expect them to come back to PC Gaming, But if they want to try to appeal to this PC Gamer they should try to make me feel welcomed. Until then they’ll just keep losing a customer.

• Urthman says:

Yeah, I’d be tempted to pass on Deus Ex 3 itself if CliffyB were selling it.

• ResonanceCascade says:

He was probably smart to delay that demo. I only decided with certainty that I would NOT to buy the game after playing it. It was really awful.

• The Sentinel says:

I think his stupidest move was to post that on Twitter. Mock the gamers who made your company, why don’t you? That’ll help them flock to your latest product which, by the way, we’ve noticed doesn’t get a demo until after the people you really care about do…

28. nootron says:

It had a few problems as I see it:

- The dialogue was beyond bad. Voice acting was great,but the actual script was written to cram as many curses and explicit metaphors as each sentence could possibly hold. “You cock lickin’ dick fuckers are gonna get your cocks kicked off” is an example of a mild phrase that the writers turned down for worse alternatives.

- The writing was terrible. I know, its a manshoot. But even then, a player needs motivation which is not sustained by “upgrades” alone. The prologue was decent but you quickly forget you’re on a revenge mission when you start to fight WITH the guy who caused you to begin the killing journey to start. At some point you’re just ignoring everything everyone has to say. I am all for irreverent or “tongue in cheek” as you say, but there was nothing even slightly humorous in any line delivery to save the dire plot with comic relief.

- Upgrades were bloated. Too many of the upgrades just didnt make sense. Many of the “charged shots” were simply worse than the non-charged. And forcing players to choose between buying charge ammo and saving for more upgrades just made you save instead and use normal bullets. e.g. Much of the upgrades were just to hold more ammo. So choosing between buying ammo with your points or increasing max. ammo is hardly a compelling choice.

- Combo system UI sucked. The entire novelty of the game sucked for one reason: Having to exit combat and scroll through an annoying interface to find which combos you didn’t do and/or how to do them was tedious and eventually left me just killing things with the first 5 combos I learned at the start of the game.

There are a few more gripes but this is why I never recommended the game to anyone. Its novelty was overshadowed by its faults. All future shooters should have combo systems like Bulletstorm. That one concept was so fun that in the first 5 minutes, I was sure I was playing an instant classic. However, 5 hours later of listening to people say thinks like “ill chop off your dick and dick punch your dick you dick lickin’ dick eaters” while I constantly pause to navigate a massive unwieldy list of combos and spend my currency on ammo and ammo and the ability to hold more ammo for my ammo, I just gave up.

29. Axyl says:

Epic need to a) Bring the rest of the Gears series to PC. b) Stop forgetting their original player base (see point a)) c) Make another Unreal…and NOT another Unreal Tournament (although that would be awesome, it’s time for that outstanding single player world to make another appearance.)

Unreal was utterly brilliant, only rivaled imo by Half Life and Quake 2.

UT was first and best in class, and probably still is to a large degree.

Unreal II: The Awakening was complete garbage.

UT2003/Unreal Championship was meh

Unreal Championship II (Console only) wasn’t awful, had potential, but was lacking where it counted.

UT2004 was outstanding

UT3 was meh.

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE ANOTHER, GOOD UNREAL GAME PLEASE!?

Remember what made you “Epic”..remember the games that we gladly bought and played and told every person we ever met about…

Epic..it’s time for you to come home, and earn your place once again when you’re here.
    We miss what you used to be.

Signed – PC Gamers who played Unreal since the beginning. :)

30. Berzee says:

>_>
    I’m glad it bombed.
    Edit: aw, this was supposed to be a reply to that first subthread about gladness of bombing.

Note — I’m not glad in any way that is like “haha yay rejoice at the misfortunes of others”. I’m assuming it would have done a lot better if it hadn’t gone out of the way to seem unpleasant to lots of people; so I hope that games with unique mechanics and settings can do well, but as far the *attitude* of the game goes (yes i know irony irony etc etc) — I am glad when they falter in that regard. =)

Maybe something with Bulletstorm gameplay but dignified men in top hats with clean language — would be a fun possibility.

31. Nim says:

My goodness people have things stuck up their rear entry.

32. AgamemnonV2 says:

Wondering why Bulletstorm failed is like wondering why you get wet when it rains. Considering it was DNF Lite, it shouldn’t take anyone over the age of 12 to understand why it was garbage.

• Thants says:

The gameplay isn’t like DNF at all and the writing is much better. You haven’t played it have you?

33. Dreamhacker says:

I dunno, I kinda like my FPS’s dark, bleak, semi-realistic and militarized, like the Battlefield series. I don’t want comedy in my manshoots.

34. deadly.by.design says:

Bulletstorm was trying to be innovative, but it was trying harder to be puerile.

35. wodin says:

I had great fun with Bulletstorm…I loved the skill shot mechanic and that alone kept me playing throught o the end..it was a damn fine gaming experience…shame

36. Xan says:

It flopped because it was region restricted on the digital market and because of GFWL.

For example I can’t buy the game, and if I do somehow buy it, multiplayer won’t work for me AND I’ll have to put up with GFWL nonsense.

37. UncleLou says:

Personally, I was interested in the game, but they delayed the PC demo several weeks (after its release) – I tried the PS3 demo instead, which I thought was awful, and wrote the game off.

I’ve played the PC demo just the other week now and liked it a lot, but now I might as well wait till it’s on the Steam sales some day. I am pretty sure I would have bought it on launch with a decent demo for the platform I prefer.

38. Om says:

Question: How much did Bulletstorm cost to make? That’s probably your answer as to why it didn’t make money

• UncleLou says:

But it would be a fallacy to assume it necessarily would have made the same money or at least more than it cost to make if it had cost less (and therefore wouldn’t have been of the same quality).

The FPS genre isn’t exactly one where you can skimp on production values and expect to reap big rewards.

• Om says:

Not necessarily “the same amount of money”, but spend a gazillion euro on making a game and you’ll have to rake in a gazillion plus one euro to make a profit. Hence flops happen

If making a decent FPS requires ungodly amounts of cash then it should be no surprise that the market is dominated by a handful of massive brands that churn out sequel after sequel. This way you have some sort of confidence in your ability to bring in a sufficient revenue. It’s also why I feel that the ‘blockbuster’ model is fatally flawed when it comes to games

39. Zogtee says:

Genres come and go, don’t they? While Bulletstorm is technically a new IP, it’s roots can be traced back to the obsolete Duke Nukem-style shooters. It now joins the ranks of turn-based strategy games, space sims, and tactical CQB shooters.

The juvenile humor put me right off the game, but I played the demo and liked it. Give me a decent Steam sale and I’ll buy it.

40. Sarkhan Lol says:

Maybe we’re all sick of scripted first person shooters.

And Steve Blum.

41. Muzman says:

I think, like Snakes on a Plane discovered, there’s really only a small subset of internet nerd-dom that wants everything to be a self aware gonzo mash-up of pop-cultures past. They make a a lot of noise at times, and seem to be over represented among industry types to my cursory eye, but the public at large just thinks it’s odd.
    Even if the game is good and novel and even funny it made the mistake of overselling just how *ZZZZany* it is. It seemed to be trying too damn hard.
    Gears of War seems to have captured the spirit of bad eighties action films more effectively just by being earnest to the point of absurdity. The knuckle draggers love it and the irony crowd can get a whole different kick out of it.
    The tone of Bulletstorm, from the marketing, telegraphed a seemingly calculated stupidity that detracted from the whole thing.

42. Text_Fish says:

The biggest problem was probably that they released a demo. NEVER RELEASE A DEMO OF A SHIT GAME, IT MAKES POOR BUSINESS SENSE.

Another problem is that throughout the lengthy marketting campaign they kept on “explaining” the “joke” in defence to their critics. Explaining your joke is never a good look. If you want to do something controversial you’ve got to do it with balls and answer your critics with two fingers and a stoic silence.

• Thants says:

You’d think that multiple RPS writers saying that they are big fans of the game would AT LEAST get people to be slightly more nuanced than “It’s shit”. You’d think it would cause people to examine their opinions beyond the first knee-jerk response. But, no, this is the Internet, where thought and discussion go to die.

• Text_Fish says:

I’ve already detailed my opinions of Bulletstorm in previous discussions, so “It’s shit” is a fairly apt conclusion to a more analytical examination.

I’m truly sorry you haven’t had the joy of reading my previous ruminations and I hope that someday you get the internet that you’ve always dreamed of, where everybody qualifies every statement they make with several paragraphs of explanation and cites all references. Until then, you ought to steer clear of forums, message boards, social networking sites, news sites, emails, chat rooms and multiplayer games because they’re all overrun with horrible people and their horrible thoughts.

43. DK says:

It was a good concept hampered by the purile humor of Epic. It’s incredibly easy to see which parts were Epic written and designed, and which were People Can Fly – the toilet humor and console issues (two weapon limit, shoddy port, mouse acceleration, etc.) are like a red line that draws itself through all Epic titles post-Microsoft de-facto acquisition. PCF’s games have a history of brilliant gunplay with over the top ragdolls, something easily visible in Bulletstorm.

In short, had this been a pure PCF game it’d have been incredible and sold better.

• Howl says:

I enjoyed it but thought it was pricey. You’re right that the Epic and PCF elements were apparent throughout the game and I couldn’t help but think how much better it could have been had Epic not been involved. It would probably have cost a great deal less to make too.

44. Olivaw says:

I kept waiting for Bulletstorm to go on sale during the Steam Summer Camp thing. I have fifteen bucks left over just begging to be spent!

But they didn’t do it. And it’s still thirty bucks, just too high for me to justify.

God damn you, Epic. I want to play your manshoot. I want to kick guys in the junk. I want to enjoy your stupid story full of curse words and a mild redemptive arc for a bunch of assholes.

But I can’t. Jerks.

Vandelay says:

I was the same. I would have snapped it up on Steam, if it had of been discounted. In the end, not only did it not appear as a daily deal, but it didn’t even have any form of discount at all, when pretty much every other game of note (and many not of note) did.

It is selling on Amazon for £14.98, which is probably the amount I would have spent for it on Steam (closer £10 and it would have been instant purchase,) but with a massive pile of games to get through I doubt I’ll be picking it up for some time.

45. Daryl says:

Ok, enough about Bulletstorm. What about UT? I doubt Epic can redeem themselves after the massive failure that was UT3, but I will certainly keep an eye open.

46. Giftmacher says:

We have no right to complain about this game’s supposed immaturity while Call of Duty remains the number one gaming franchise on the planet.

Horza says:

Yep. Bulletstorm failing when games like Modern Warfare 2 sell billions of copies is just wrong =/

At least Bulletstorm was stupid intentionally.

47. thehollowman says:

Entirely down to shitty PR and poor handling of the gaming media. Almost every review I read said it was a dumb game. It got relatively poor scores. But worse than that, I thought this was a multiplayer game?! I read previews about it ffs, how is that even possible. I had no idea there was a storyline, or even a single player portion, cause everyone just talked about shooting people in the anus. So I didn’t £40 on it! They pandered to the lowest common denominator and paid for it.

48. Mman says: