Interview: Carmageddon’s Comeback

By Alec Meer on July 25th, 2011 at 3:25 pm.

I was a typically world-hating, violence-lovin’ teenager during the early 1990s, and that means I’m as pleased as the next man-child that ultra-sadistic racing/pedestrian-splatting game Carmageddon is finally, finally due for a comeback next year, with a new game called Carmgeddon: Reincarnation. Having rescued the rights from the ashes of publisher SCI, original developers Stainless Games are back at the helm. Here, I chat to Stainless co-founder Neil Barnden about what took ‘em so long, whether or not they’ll be changing the aesthetic and the humour for more modern times, how they nearly sued Los Angeles, whether they want to court controversy again and why they’re not bothered about the original games being on warez sites.

RPS: First and most important question: why’d it take you long to bring Carmageddon back?

Stainless: After we’d done the first two games and parted company for SCI, they went off to do another game but after that the brand just sort of collapsed and fell into obscurity. We sort of got it back via discussions with Square Enix, who’d taken on the license. We had a friend within Square who we were able to talk to, so it was an in, as it were, to start negotiations going. I never thought we’d get the rights back to Carma. We’d talked in the past about what a laugh it would be to do another game, but it was always sad – ‘It’d be great but it’s never gonna happen…’

RPS: You didn’t think about doing something that was similar but with a different name, or would that have been too unhappy?

Neil Barnden: We actually did. We worked on a couple of titles in the interim. After the Carmageddon days, we were sort of known as driving game people, so we did some other stuff along those lines. But one project was cancelled after a couple of years, just because it no longer fit the publisher’s plans for that particular time, and that also happened with another title. So, yeah [laughs]. After a while we just thought ‘let’s find something else to do.’

RPS: Must be so bewildering to be right there at the top then find yourself blocked from doing it any more.

Neil Barnden: Yeah, we were really upset when, after we’d done Carmageddon, we then did the Splat Pack which was as much content again as the original game, and then we did Carmageddon 2. We did all that within the space of a couple of years, and at the end of Carmageddon 2 we said to SCI ‘can we just have a break for a while, and do a different sort of game?’ They said ‘yeah fine’, but this was their big cash cow, so it was naive of us to not realise they were instantly going to go off and find somebody else to do the next one. And that was that.

RPS: And now you’re bringing it back…

Neil Barnden: Yes. Very, very happy indeed.

RPS: In this age of brands and new IPs struggling so much, it must be an enviable thing to have this legacy, this established thing, so you can hit the ground running.

Neil Barnden: Yeah, that’s what we’re really pleased with too. Because it’s our baby, it’s how we started Stainless. It got us our start, and at the time it was almost exactly the game we wanted, and to have another chance to make a game that’s exactly the game we want but for today is just a fantastic opportunity.

RPS: One thing occurs is, looking at Duke Nukem Forever, there was this debate about whether or not recreating 90s values can work in a contemporary game. How much are you conscious of that with the new game? Is staying loyal to the original more important than updating its style and tone?

Neil Barnden: I think loyalty to the existing fans is important, but we’re different people. There are almost 15 years now between when the first game came out and today, so it’s going to be different because of that. However, we’ve still got the same stupid senses of humour as we did have, so as much as possible we want to develop the game in the same way that we did the first one – which was basically we have a design, but during development if somebody comes up with a great idea we chuck it in.

So you’re not tethered to a particular design, and that’s what we feel was part of the main success of the game – that anybody on the team could say ‘what about if we do this?’ or ‘can we stick one of these in?’ and we just did it. And we’ll know if the game’s working, because – and this happened with the first one too – you can get the game engine running pretty fast, and you get to be running people over pretty fast, and then you start trying things out and seeing whether they work or they don’t. So you self-test it as you go along, and if everyone in the studio is crowding around someone’s monitor while they’re testing some aspect of the game and pissing themselves laughing, you know it’s working.

RPS: You’re also coming into a post-GTA world this time: how much does that change things for a game about running people over?

Neil Barnden: Yeah, the sort of game we’re designing, given we’re thinking very much of download (and what platforms we don’t know yet, that’s not set out), we know we can’t compete in terms of scale as we’re not going to have that budget for a download title. So we have to play to our strengths, which is very much in the gameplay and the larks and the humorous ultra-violence.

RPS: Why download-only?

Neil Barnden: When you’re going out and talking to investors in this sort of thing, they’ll look at the track record of the company in terms of what else they’re doing. And of course for several years now we’ve been concentrating on that area of the market, with stuff for XBLA. So it makes sense to go to people and say ‘we know we can do this.’ We’ve got experience, we know a lot of people at Microsoft, for instance, and so that gives them confidence – gives the people with the money confidence.

RPS: I know you said you’ve not decided on formats, but is there a good chance of a PC release, on Steam and similar services?

Neil Barnden: That’s something that we really want, yeah.

RPS: What’s your feeling on that market – is Steam the only game in town or are the other clients very important too?

Neil Barnden: My personal default method of delivery would be Steam, but that’s just me. Because I’ve been using Steam since it started, I know it works and know how well it works.

RPS: Any desire to court controversy again this time around? All those headlines must have been a big help getting the original games into the public consciousness.

Neil Barnden: I think it’s more difficult now, because of what’s become routinely available in games that are already out there, but it doesn’t do any harm, I think. The weird thing is that, just this last week, the closure of the 405 in LA, it was dubbed ‘Carmageddon’. The assistant head of traffic or something like that claimed he’d coined this phrase to make it easy for people to think about what could be happening on that day. This was quoted on the LA Times, and they very quickly had to retract that – they went back to him and said ‘er, we’ve actually found that the name is already out there.’ But it’s been quite a handy way of popularising the term, and apparently Carmageddon 2 is coming next year at the same time, because they only knocked down half the bridge that they needed to.

RPS: You should work out who you can successfully sue, so you can get enough money to make the new game 10 times fancier.

Neil Barnden: That was suggested to me by a friend in LA – he sent me an email saying ‘you own the rights to this, don’t you? You could be on the gravy train for life.’ [Laughs] Unfortunately, we can’t actually stop them using it. Damn!

RPS: How much are you expecting the new game’s hopeful success to be based on goodwill from existing fans?

Neil Barnden: I’m hoping that it’s going to capture the imagination of a new generation, just because of the things that make people laugh, and have fun playing games, don’t change. As well as satisfying fans who are going to be lining up for it, you know. I can’t imagine we’ll have too much trouble bringing it to a new generation of gamers.

RPS: Yeah, kids sure do like to kill people. Do you think you’ll stick close to the original look, that sort of 90s comicbook aesthetic, or does that need modernising?

Neil Barnden: I think we all accept that because it’s a game with cars in, there’s a kind of expectation of a level of polish to the look of vehicles. Cars have got so shiny and realistic in all the games now that we have to, to a certain extent, reflect that, and obviously with the power of the current generation of machines, that’s something that we can do. Our engine technology’s up to the job. But it’s still got to have that edge to the design, that’s kind of got a surreal look to it, because we throw mad, surreal stuff into the game routinely anyway. As far as the art direction goes, I’d like it to have a distinctive style which will key into the original at least – it’s hard to describe really.

RPS: You’ve got me worried it might look like Blur, why they tried to stick fairly realistic, moody visuals around fantastical Mario Kart mechanics. It was a good time, but it didn’t win much of an audience.

Neil Barnden: It came across as a quite curious mix, I agree. Yeah. I quite enjoyed it, but it seemed to lack something in a way.

RPS: I hear that, when you were designing the first game, you found an excuse to actually buy a load of cars and crash them into each other repeatedly.

Neil Barnden: Yeah, we’ve got videos of that. Back then there was no YouTube or anything like that to get them out there, of course. I’m slowly in the process of chopping up what are quite long videos of all the stuff that we used to do. Basically, with all the money we made, we bought a farm with land and buildings and turned the farmhouse into the office, then all the fields we had impromptu banger races and airsoft sessions – running around shooting each other with BB guns – and a lot of blowing stuff up.

RPS: Of course, still having all those reference videos must make it hard to justify smashing up a load of stuff again for this game..

Neil Barnden: Well, I don’t know… they are very poor quality. [Laughs] We need to do it again in HD or something.

RPS: Is there any scope to re-release the original games too, or is that tied up in whatever’s left of SCI?

Neil Barnden: We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.

RPS: And they’re keeping the name alive, which must be so valuable when you’ve got a new one coming out?

Neil Barnden: That’s right. So, our aim is to concentrate on the new one and let the guys discuss getting the best out of the old ones openly on the forums.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Diziet Sma says:

I really can’t think of what to type here but ‘Woo new carmageddon” and “What a wonderful attitude to the old games and their fans.”. In fact I might have to go and check out Carmageddon 2 again in the meantime.

• Snargelfargen says:

Yep, pretty much what I was going to say.
      If you do return to Carma 2, definitely check out the mod community. They have made a huge variety of exquisitely crafted real-life cars, which is hilarious, because all you do is wreck them.

PoulWrist says:

I shall have to check out that stuff. I have both on CDs somewhere :o

2. jonfitt says:

What a nice chap.

• MiniMatt says:

Yeah came across as really good proper interview rather than over-rehearsed PR spiel. Hmmm, which is exactly what the PR people would want me to think…. Damn they’re good.

• LionsPhil says:

And so pleasant toward abandonware!

3. Jockie says:

Working at Stainless after Carma 1 sounds like the official ‘best job ever’.

I have very fond memories of Carmageddon 2, god knows how I managed to get someone to buy it for me though.

• starclaws says:

Ya I hope this game has a lot of promises… The 2nd game had sooo many levels, special missions, car improvements to find, special power ups, death, destruction. /me gets hard.

4. Randdalf says:

I read the title as “Carmack’s Comeback” for some reason

• Mitza says:

Weird, me too!

• ResonanceCascade says:

Interview: Carmack’s Comebageddon

Also, it’s so strange that Carmageddon in LA got me interested in this series again, and now here’s a bunch of stuff about the sequel. Sweet!

5. Teddy Leach says:

I am so happy.

6. Zeewolf says:

Regarding a rerelease of the original: Do they not know about http://www.gog.com ?

• Khemm says:

Apparently not, and I don’t understand why RPS/Alec didn’t ask Mr Barnden this exact question either.

• televizor says:

Hey I was having a look around the site and I found this: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/oddworld_strangers_wrath#s_0

I don’t remember it being released, do you?

• Zeewolf says:

Stranger’s Wrath was released on GOG last week actually.

• ttcfcl says:

Yea, I was annoyed because -yes, it’s availible easily online- but it’s a PITA to run Carm 1 under dosbox, at least it was when I tried last.

• Juan Carlo says:

If they own the code they really should consider a rerelease of Carma 1 and 2 on GOG and Steam leading up to the release of Carma 3.

If they want to support the “abandonware” community that is fine (it’s not like pirating is ever going away anyway), but simply rereleasing Caram 1 and 2 would go a long way in advertising Carma 3 for them and bringing back awareness in the franchise. In fact, just rereleasing the originals for cheap would be all the advertising they need, I think.

Plus, I actually think they would make a boatload of money on steam by rereleasing as it seems like the steam demographic skews older so there are probably lots of people on steam who (like me) played the original games when they were 12 and wouldn’t mind picking them up again for nostalgic reasons.

• Zelius says:

@Juan Carlo

I agree. If they’d re-release Carma 1 and 2 together for a fiver on Steam and GOG, updated to run on newer operating systems, I expect a lot of people to buy it. I certainly would.

• Kamos says:

I never had the chance to buy this game when it came out (it wasn’t sold where I live) and I had to play the… cough cough… alternate version. So I’d love to be able to buy it. Specially since, for once, the money actually goes to the people who developed the game.

Really, someone who has their contact (Alec?) should talk to them about this! Just make it run on new machines, perhaps add something new to help support the (frankly awesome) carmageddon mod community and re-release it with a good price and they will get free marketing, praise from us old geezers and some freedom from the scary and dangerous “people with the money” (who will probably ask them not to make a PC version, anyway. Or ask if they can make it into a scripted FPS, keeping it true to the franchise’s story, a la 2k games).

• MellowKrogoth says:

+1 for a GoG release because:
      a) it’s very handy for people who don’t want to fiddle with dosbox and want a trusted download source
      b) it allows people to say thanks to the devs for the game, no matter how they go it originally
      c) they can still welcome filesharers into the community, as long as they release it themselves they won’t have a greedy publisher wanting to sue people
      d) advertising

7. kororas says:

Does anyone else get that dubious feeling about 90’s pc game remakes after Duke Nukem Forever’ release?

• chackosan says:

Difference is, DNF was supposed to be a 90s release, not a remake. I’ll go for a new Carma, no problem.

• LionsPhil says:

I got pissed off at reading

because I expect better from RPS than repeating that idiotic line. Duke Nukem Forever was not a “’90s values” throwback. It had regenerating health and sprinting and limited weapons. You can argue until the cows come home if that’s better or worse than ’90s FPSes with their medkits and full number row loadout and running-flat-out-sideways-everywhere, but you have to be several red keycards short of a DOOM level to think that such a shooter is “’90s style”.

• Teddy Leach says:

Another difference is that the original devs are working on this. Not eleven million teams over three thousand years, or however many it was.

• Multidirectional says:

Yes I also get baffled whenever someone pretends Duke Nukem Forever has anything to do with “90s values”. DNF is a bad implementation of various cliches from MODERN gaming.
      Regarding Carmageddon, the story behind rebirth of this franchise is pretty damn different, comparisons to DNF don’t make sense unless it ends up being developed for 10 years, which it probably won’t.

• sinister agent says:

I don’t think it’ll be like that. Duke’s main problem was an absurdly long development time, with lots of stopping and starting, which this doesn’t look like having. Plus FPS games are ten a penny, whereas driving games are much less common.

• Khemm says:

@Multidirectional
      Exactly, it’s baffling some people fail to notice there’s NOTHING “old-school” about DNF. If DNF was even partly old-school, it would be an awesome game instead of a poorly designed shooter on rails.

• Alec Meer says:

DNF certainly isn’t like D3D, but it’s totally nineties. The worst excesses of late nineties gaming, specifically. That it’s got a few 21st century follies and mechanics in there doesn’t change that.

Mo says:

Pretty sure Alec meant thematically, not mechanically. There is a difference…

• Multidirectional says:

Could you name at least couple of those excesses from nineties gaming Alec, just so I could see your point more clearly? Cause I don’t really see them in DNF. But then again, for people like me the most significant part of game is HOW IT ACTUALLY PLAYS. And I don’t know a single nineties shooter that plays like DNF.

• wazups2x says:

@Alec Meer

It feels nothing like a classic 90’s game.. 2 weapon limit, single checkpoint system (no quicksaves), regenerating health, linear levels, etc..

Seriously, the game sucked because it’s uses the same old modern day shooter formula, not because it uses the 90’s formula.

• Alec Meer says:

Not convinced really not worth my while trying to state a subtler yet still *blindingly* obvious argument when several people have demonstrated an aggressive, knee-jerk reaction. If you want to entirely dismiss arguments of whether changed standards of theme, tone, style, mentality, art direction and concept of the action hero are relevant to a 90s action franchise returning in 2011 after a decade away, because all you can see is that you can only carry two weapons and the health recharges, I just don’t think we’re going to be able to have a proper conversation.

• Gnarf says:

It wasn’t dismissing that argument, it was not understanding that by “somethingorother 90s values” you meant theme and tone and the concept of the action hero rather than game mechanics and that. And then instead of clarifying that you just repeated that no, it’s totally 90s.

That said, I am very interested in seeing if the murdering maniac who mostly runs over innocent people fits into the concept of the action hero in 2011, or if that’s more of a 90s thing.

8. Danorz says:

what a surprisingly lovely chap for a company that came up with “IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT” for a cheatcode

e: tell you what though i will never forget it

9. pitak89 says:

I have only ever played the original Carmageddon in demo form from one of those 50-game demo discs. I sunk so many god damn hours into it and I enjoyed every second. Totally ready for the new on to come out.

• mbourgon says:

I remember preferring the demo for a time – the time limit forced you to do things you wouldn’t do in the real game. Almost like a “how far can I get for a quarter” type thing. Then you realize there are other levels and other things you can’t possibly see in the (2 minutes?) time frame. And I remember the size of the maps being HUUUUUUGE. And seeing how many ways I could shear my car in half on Carm2.

I have the disks from both, somewhere around here.

10. Cooper says:

Re: The re-release.

I’d pay money to download a version of Carmageddon that ran on win 7 easily, with no fiddling, and came with easy-to-add community patches such as high-res.

Yes, there’s a great community doing stuff there. But it’s still fidlly. You -can- justify charging for providing all this stuff easily.

Also, there’s many of us out there that buy stuff from GOG et al. EVEN if we’ve already got it from warez of whatever. We get it from warez because we can’t from elsewhere legally, then we buy a legit copy when it’s release not because of guilt, but as a message to the industry that this stuff if still loved.

In fact, I get a feeling GOG’s business is built on people who -could- get something from warez, probably do, but don;t mind to pay money for something they love, and for the ease and safety of what it offers.

tl;dr. Package a win 7 working version of Cramageddon and put it GOG, and it’ll make moneys.

11. jon_hill987 says:

All I can think of is how many bugs were in the two Duels of the Planeswalkers games…

12. somnolentsurfer says:

The old ones belong on GOG, and preferably on Steam as well. Some of us don’t like trawling the bowls of malware ridden, user hostile warez sites.

• meatshit says:

Not to mention putting them up on Steam and having a few <10$ sales is great way to advertise the new game. The people behind Serious Sam and Beyond Good & Evil have been doing that and it's a frankly brilliant idea.

13. Brainz says:

But will it have regenerating health and a cover system?

14. DBG says:

Get first games running on Win7 and get them on Steam.

15. Vagrant says:

They should put the first two out on the digital download circuit for free a few weeks before launch, slightly retooled to market the new one. And to work.

16. Eclipse says:

” We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours”

PUT THEM ON GOG!

Oh wait, not every of them, that TDR 2000 stuff… yeah, skip that one

• Wallllrod says:

+1. Even though it’s relatively easy to get from Mr. Torrence, i’d still pay for windows 7 fixed versions on a legitimate download store. In fact, i’d love it.

• Icarus says:

Same. I never got into the games when they first came out but I’d pay a few bucks on GoG.

mcnostril says:

The damage model in Carmageddon 2 is one of my favorite things in games.
    Driving around with a car that was practically sawed in half was pretty funny, and it was quite satisfying to watch it rebuild itself like some kind of terminator when you pressed the repair button.

• MrXswift says:

yea i just hoope its gonna be as bloody as the frist one :D

18. kevldulf says:

Oh man, I really loved playing Carmageddon 2 years ago.

I did not realize that there is still a community around making it compatible with modern OSes and moding it. I will have to check it out and see if I can get a copy working. Any mods that people can suggest by name?

That said, I would really prefer to just be able to buy a copy over on GoG. It is so much easier to just spend $5 and run an .exe.

• Multidirectional says:

I just use dgvoodoo 1.40+ to get the game working in higher resolutions and edit Options.txt for higher detail level and view distance. Game is still awesome like that.

19. mojo says:

+1 for buying legit old stuff (steam preferred)

20. Donjonson says:

“I was in the war”

21. PatrickSwayze says:

I WAS 16 WHEN I BOUGHT CARMAGEDDON 2! HAHHHH!

I WARPED MY MIND!

AND GAME SHOULD LOSE THEIR LICENSE! LOL!

And my parents bought me the original.

As Juvenile as this game was, I still rate it higher than the likes of Bulletstorm and Duke etc in its humour. Maybe it was the purity of the game, rather than any need to be offensive.

Perhaps that’s because it’s an English over an American game?

• Stephen Roberts says:

Reading that Carmageddon came out 15 years ago was a little much for me. I did feel like peeing myself would be a suitable reaction so I dribbled a bit of my drink down myself.

It’s pretty much dry now though.

22. YanDaik says:

Finaly! Some action! :)

23. Jake says:

I hope it is still the same big mad sandbox and not a more conventional game like a straight-up race. Some parts of Burnout Paradise remind me of Carma, especially the quarry area. Just having that quarry area with lots of crazy cars and the damage modelling, and a vague idea about a race, and people to flatten would be great.

24. Paul says:

Release those games on GOG, for fuck’s sake! Just include links to those mods and patches and that is it. Free money for you and I get nice shiny original Carma games!

BathroomCitizen says:

The header image made me nostalgic! Looks like those monster toy cars we played with in the ’90s when were little kids. Well, I was a little kid back then.

26. televizor says:

So nobody’s gonna say shit about the fact that it sounds like it’s gonna be a downloadable XBOX or PSN game on limited budget?

• meatshit says:

Good I say. There’s no reason to make what was a simple but fun game into a bloated AAA monstrosity with a bloated AAA price tag.

• faelnor says:

I don’t mind a low budget either, we can always use more games that do more with less.

XBLA or PSN release means probably much less gore than Carma 1 & 2 however, and this is a real issue.

• Donjonson says:

If you don’t get extra points for running over grannies and if you can’t swing a door open to people pulverise, then I don’t want anything to do with it.

• ankh says:

I’m very concerned that it will not be violent enough. In fact I am almost 100% sure it won’t.

Monchberter says:

I hope they go and do a big poo in Dan Houser’s desk for getting all the cash for milking the infamy + purile jokes + cars formula.

Always preferred Carma over GTA.

28. Shazbut says:

I played the Carmageddon 2 demo almost every day for a whole year before buying the game. So much “player agency”! It never stopped giving. “Can I split my car in two and drive the smaller half?” “Can I reach the ceiling of the map?” “Can I lure that crazy red lorry to it’s death?” “Why is it even trying to kill me this time anyway? Last time it didn’t” etc.

I really hope they continue this tradition. I won’t need a demo this time, I promise. I’ll go on word of mouth.

29. hardboiledgregg says:

I’ve been replaying Carmageddon 1 and 2 recently and they still hold up. I think what’s key is that it lets you mess around quite a bit rather than trying to script things. I really love the car designs too. SHAMELESS PLUG: http://www.pressxordie.com/2011/07/21/retrospective-carmageddon/
    I do think that the first game is better in the visual style and feel of the cars. Even if they didn’t handle as well, they still felt ‘meatier’. Plus, the physics in the second made them a little too fragile. Don’t get me started on those missions… just thankful the game had cheats. I remember swearing so much as a kid you’d think I were French.
    Still, they’re among my favourite games, so I have a lot of faith in Stainless Games delivering this time round too.

I appreciate that there are people out there who are getting the games working on new OSs (OK, I’m really grateful) but it still requires a few hoops to be jumped through, whereas an updated release for GOG would simplify the whole process and no doubt raise some revenue.

30. Javier-de-Ass says:

yes. please Neil Barnden make the games available on gog. and please don’t make the new carmageddon steam only on pc.

31. TariqOne says:

Oops. Nothing to see here.

shoptroll says:

Please get these games on GOG. I own the Splat Pack and Carma 2 passed me by (didn’t have a 3D card at the time). I’d love to give these guys $10 for a legitimate copy of Carma 2.

Can’t wait to see the new one in action next year :)

33. Lemming says:

This is one of those games that, during the time I thought it was outrageous when they had to patch in the zombies for the European market, but now looking back…zombies actually fitted more thematically with the game’s world.

It was supposed to be post-apocalyptic nutter-racing, after all. Why on Earth would pedestrians even be walking around like that during a race? Seems daft, now.

If they go with the zombies from the off, I shant complain.

• Donjonson says:

Zombies??!! No way! Mindless pedestrian murder is what it’s about! I vividly remember the first time I heard “I was in the waarr!”, turning to my brother and falling around laughing :)

• ankh says:

Ive said this before but i’ll say it again (cause im crazy like that), killing people is more fun than killing zombies. The end.

34. tomovo says:

Great interview. Wishing them to keep the attitude.

Getting that electric car in the first Carmageddon was like getting into heaven (and then electrocuting everybody, of course).

• ankh says:

I forgot about that electric killing machine! Thanks for bringing that up i feel warm and fuzzy inside now.

35. Stephen Roberts says:

It strikes me that there’s an overwhelming response of ‘Legitimize that warez funk’. (I might be paraphrasing. Or just talking bollocks).

Game developer of niceness take note: Your old games can advertise your new games at the same time as funding them. You could just offer to include those mod-scene developers names in credits or as driver characters and they will probably give you the code they have done saving you (or gog) even more work.

I’m another plus one for ‘buying this if it comes to gog’. It’s easier, safer and more reliable than a torrent.

36. Werthead says:

Carmageddon II was magnificent (I still have my old CD-ROM as well). It also had a fantastic replay mode. I kept some of the videos from that for many years, but alas I lost them in a hard drive failure. Driving along at top speed with an AI car (with razor blades sticking out the front) right behind me, dropping a bomb into his path, flipping his car through the air only for it to be shredded in half by clipping the corner of a building, and then the front half lands and slices a pedestrian in half. Then a passing dog sniffs the resulting corpse (I was playing with the proper pedestrian patch ‘leaked’ the second the game came out). Absolutely mental.

I remember getting that massive battle-bus thing at the end of the game, which makes the races and challenges much easier as you can just obliterate other cars with ease by just ramming into them with the thing going at maximum speed.

37. IndelibleHulk says:

I recently got Carma 2 working in Vista. It required installing a glide wrapper, since it wouldn’t run in software mode for me. You also need to have the shortcut point to Carma2_HW directly instead of the launcher. And finally, toggle the options for XP compatibility mode and 640×480 resolution, so the mouse works.

I forced a ton of FSAA and AI filtering, and set up my gamepad. It works great! 14 years later and there’s still not a single game I can point to with a damage model that comes close to Carmageddon 2. The only one that allows the cars to get truly destroyed, smashed, bent, severed, anything!

I think it would take a fair bit of work to get this game in a releasable state. It would pay for itself, but I don’t see it happening.

38. Kefren says:

They should at least make Carmageddon 1 and 2 available on GOG. Then they get a bit of dosh, and people can buy it for their colelction without having to get pirated copies. Everyone wins?

• ankh says:

I dont understand you people calling for it to be released for money.. I mean at the moment its free and very easy to get it working on windows 7 and you dont have to feel bad or anything because the owner of it says its fine. You europeans have to much money me thinks.

• Kefren says:

Ankh:
      a) I like my games in one of two places – GOG or GamersGate. I may not be alone.
      b) If a game is good I’m happy to pay a nominal fee for it. I never buy games on release – usually I don’t pay more than £10 for a game. £5 for a GOG version of a game that I will come back to many times is nothing.
      c) I like the idea that some money will go to the developers. They may be laissez faire about piracy – which I think is a sensible approach in many ways – but it doesn’t mean they can’t also make a bit of money whilst still ignoring the pirates. Best solution for everyone.
      d) I know that I am downloading a working version with no need to fiddle about or worry about trojans and viruses and malware.
      e) If enough people make some money from older properties we might find them becoming available again in other places.

Surely none of that is hard to understand?

39. Guiscard says:

As long as I can turn my car concrete then drive head on into a huge dump truck and send it flying burning through the air I’ll be happy. Ah, the memories.

40. DarkByke says:

They already have PAM, and that game didn’t take off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/91900/

and Crasher used to be on Steam: http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1148544p1.html but failed.

People… just don’t want to play these types of games anymore.

• Matt says:

Except P.A.M. has some serious design flaws regarding the race mechanics and scoring, while Crasher is a glorified DotA with cars… so perhaps not.

41. LoveIsGood says:

So where are the forums for this stuff anyway? They never specified in the article which forums the guy was talking about.