Chantelise Demo, Chantelise Release Date

By Alec Meer on July 25th, 2011 at 8:39 am.

You tell those mushroom-thingies, girl

All of a sudden, we’re just days away from the next release from the merchants of Recettear. Chantelise: A Tale Of Two Sisters is, as is Carpe Fulgur’s M.O., a diligently-translated Western do-over of a Japanese indie title – in this case a dungeon crawler. Which means ACTION rather than COMMERCE.

Chantelise will finally be released later this week- the 29th, specifically. You can warm yourself up with a demo right now, however.

I’m but three sips into my first coffee of the week so haven’t had a chance to give the demo a spin yet, but we’re hoping for review code soon. The full game will land on Steam, Gamersgate and ‘other’ download platforms, by the way.

Something else to do while you wait is read Carpe Fulgur’s very long discussion on how and why they do what they do. Specifically, the issues inherent and thrown up by localising a Japanese game into an English one, why a 1:1 translation just doesn’t work and where Recettear’s enduring catchphrase ‘capitalism, ho!’ came from.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. alice says:

I refuse to play this game due to the anime art style.

Why do people like anime?

2. alice says:

Whoops, see above.

3. Kevin says:

Though I’m a bigger fan of French comics, I’m not ashamed to admit that some anime floats my boat.. I think it has to be said that you really can’t dismiss a game due to the art style its rendered in because anime encompasses a metric crap-ton of genres and stylistic differences.

Take for instance that you really can’t compare those who like shows like Ghost in the Shell and Black Lagoon with the fans who like some chick flick-type anime like Fruits Basket.

• Falcon says:

Yeah, I’m in the boat of people that just likes good story, well-made worlds, or an interesting art style. Sure, there are some people who love/hate things just because they’re anime or Japanese (lol @ alice’s thread), but I’d think that’s the minority.

• nofing says:

I don’t read comics at all, but you can’t really say, just because of the art style, that the game sucks.
      Yes, anime has kind of a bad rep, but I think it’s just because it’s an easy to learn drawing style, which subsequently leads to way more idiots using it as a way to live out their perverted fantasies.
      I think the art style could be quite nice, if it was combined with a good story.

4. Jajusha says:

So, this is more like Zeldaish right? Think i’ll try the demo, loved Recetear.

• alice says:

It is similar to the dungeon portions of Recettear. Keep in mind that this game was actually made by EGS before Recettear and may be a bit rougher.

• FakeAssName says:

yeah, keep a very open mind because these guys focus on localizing indie JRPGs.

that is to say 90% of the work was probably done by one Otaku blitzed out of his mind on exclusive diet of vending machine coffee milk (it’s MUCH like those bottled Starbucks drinks you get at a quickie mart) with an out of date Mac that he wrote his own OS for when Apple stopped supporting it.

5. Lemming says:

On the subject of Japanese game translation, I’ve always wondered how they get it so wrong. Quite often you’ll see a sentence that is literally translated and you think “Well, I know what they were trying to say” so why don’t the translators think like that? It’s always baffled me.

• wccrawford says:

Translating is an art. When you understand both languages fluently, you see nuances in the original language that are almost impossible to translate without a paragraph instead of a sentence. They do their best, and often end up with a sentence that’s not fluid in the target language. Then they have the choice of cutting the life out of the sentence, or leaving it awkward.

1 sentence at a time isn’t so hard… But when you are translating an entire work, you have to keep in mind that some things may be foreshadowing for later, and leaving little details out to get a good translation could ruin the story.

I actually prefer the literal translation because it gets you the original story. Nothing bugs me so much as watching something that has been translated, but they totally changed the sentence to make it sound natural.

• Baka says:

It’s a slippery slope. The “true fans”, that are somewhat more fanatical about big eyes and pink hair demand of translators to be as true to the original meaning as possible. A long time ago, I was a bit involved in the fansubbing community and I remember being a bit lenient towards the actual meaning could lead to pretty “dramatic” reactions.

• alphager says:

Read the linked epic tale in 40’000 words blog-post for Carpe Fulgur’s explanation; it’s pretty in-depth.

• mwoody says:

It’s actually a pretty simple problem: translators whose native language is the one they’re translating FROM. If you’re translating from Japanese to English, for example, you must use native English speakers. 95% of the time, bad translations are the result of a failure to follow this single, basic rule.

• Zelius says:

“This guy are sick” being a notable example from a popular game.

6. FakeAssName says:

I fiddled with the demo just now and the combat system is really good, it’s 2D sprites for the character art on 3D environments.

responsive controls and smooth animation.

if your a fan of the Grandia series you should appreciate it.

• Lemming says:

Just tried this and thought it was pretty terrible, actually.

they should have gone with full 2D/isometric or something. Really revel in the art design. As it is, it feels like the animation of a 90′s beat ‘em up tacked onto the orignial Quake Engine. It’s just… :-/

• FakeAssName says:

you do realize that this title was originally developed in 2006 by a tiny studio with no corporate funding?

just because Japan is the king of this style of RPG doesn’t mean that everything released is funded by Square Enix.

credit where credit is due; could YOU do any better?

*edit* as soon as I hit submit I finally found how many people worked on this games: 3.

3 fucking people did this with nothing more than the cash from their own pocket.

• MadTinkerer says:

@F.A.N. Calm down! Some people can’t stand the combination of 2D and 3D in the same scene no matter how well it’s done. It’s like how 10% of people can’t do the Magic Eye thing.
      As for me, I got used to this style ages ago thanks not just to Grandia but also Xenogears, Wild Arms 2, Disgaea and other PS1 & 2 era games.

• Chris D says:

I think you’ll find that 100% of people can’t do the magic eye thing but 90% of people lie about it.

*Numbers purely for illustrative purposes actual figures may vary.

• mwoody says:

How does the number of people who worked on a game make it worse or better? It is what it is. If he’d said “the people who made this are terrible and should never work again,” then you can berate him for being unfair to indie studios.

Plus, to be specific, his suggestion was that they go full 2d instead of 2d+3d. Which would be, if anything, cheaper.

• FakeAssName says:

not really, the whole reason that people made the switch to polygons in the late 90′s, even though the tech was producing horrendously lower quality products than 2D, was because it was easier to model something in Polygons once and then rig it’s movements.

with 2D (unless you go side scroller) you have got to draw and animate at least 8 different perspectives (front, front left, profile left, back left, back, back right, profile right, and front right) for each object.

• Lemming says:

@FakeAssName

I didn’t realise it was done in 2006. And the fact it was done by 3 people shows. It really does. No I couldn’t do better, because I’m not a game developer. But that doesn’t mean I have to like something on that basis. I couldn’t knock together a movie either, but I can still think Transformers 3 is shit. Wind your neck in, mate.

7. cheesetruncheon says:

A JRPG that’s going to be on Steam? Instant purchase.

8. MadTinkerer says:

Grah! Can’t preorder it yet!

But at least it’ll be out before Episode 3.

9. pakoito says:

As I’ve said before, I found this one in english *somewhere* some time ago…dunno if fan translated or what, though.

May buy & play anyway, this guys deserve respect.

• pakoito says:

Ok, I may not buy it, it’s not of my taste having to clean all monster to advance to a new area.

• FakeAssName says:

only gotta do that once, every subsequent run through the area will have the gate opened … ya know, IF you happen to get killed by a room full of hyperactive jellies, three skeletons, and 6 bats.

not that I did mind you, that would be silly for a game this simple to totally whoop my ass.

yeah, silly …

10. gallardo1 says:

How long is the demo? I’m in town and can’t go further…

• FakeAssName says:

what part of town? you start in a field, then go to town for supper, then walk around and talk to everyone.

after that your supposed to go back into the shop owned by the chick who fed you and she tells you to talk to the fortune teller.

in the morning you have to go to some ruins to actually find the fortune teller, but I haven’t gotten past this part yet so I don’t know how much longer the demo lasts.

Comment on this story