Speed Dating: Pick A New FemShep

By Alec Meer on July 25th, 2011 at 9:28 am.

Yeah, everyone's mentioned Metroid like a million times already

Oh dear, there appears to have been some kind of mistake here. Bioware, as part of their long-awaited marketing acknowledgement of the female version of Mass Effect hero Shepard, have offered fans the option to vote for which of six new versions of FemShep (I really dislike that portmanteau for reasons I can’t entirely pinpoint, but it seems rather too late to resist it now) will be added to the character creator options in Mass Effect 3. However, none of them look like the FemShep I know, and thus presumably you know. Mysterious! Someone must have uploaded some fan-art by mistake, right?

Somewhat depressingly, the blond, blue-eyed, most trad-sexpot of the six is currently winning this Facebook-based vote by around 10,000 Likes. And they all seem rather more geared towards young’n'hot than the FemShep of old. There’s obviously no reason at all Shepard can’t have conventional (or even extraordinary) good looks, but for me at least part of the appeal of the character is that she’s a million miles away from so many other games’ depicition of female heroes.

I’m sure this is really only about expanding the range of visual options for the character, but there is this niggling worry that maybe someone hopes to recast FemShep as something more marketing-friendly – given the news that just 18% of ME players plump for a female starship captain.

Still, don’t panic: ME 1&2′s default FemShep will remain alongside whatever the new one ends up being, and obviously we’ll be able to have a good old face-tweak again too. And, of course, the excellent Jennifer Hale will return for voice duties, which gurantees that regardless of how the character looks, she’s going to be that familiarly wry, no-nonsense hardnut we so admire.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. alice says:

My ME1 and ME2 FemSheps were fairly different, the key thing being Jennifer Hale’s awesome voice acting that prevented me from losing suspension of disbelief. I am curious if they are gonna cannonize another go at the face editor, I am definitely open for more options being available.

2. soldant says:

What was wrong with the default FemShep face? I thought that one was pretty good. Am I in some sort of minority?

• Icarus says:

I picked the default face for her, yes. Just gave her black hair instead of red.

Edit for screenie:

• Alexander Norris says:

Yeah, seconded. These all look either not-vanilla-enough-to-sell or else too-vanilla-to-be-interesting, whereas the default one was safe without being on the cover of Maxim.

I like the Asian Shepard the best out of this batch, but there’s no way in hell she’d get voted in. :(

• McDan says:

You’re not in a minority at all, the default femshep face was definetely the one they should have used fro marketing, as then more people would have recognised her. These new faces are rubbish, I’m only voting for the blonde one because she looks better than the others, which isn’t really a good reason at all.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

She looks like Jake Lloyd

• briktal says:

I usually pick a face close to the default in games because a) I’m bad at face editors and b) halfway through I just give up anyway.

• Urthman says:

Too young. She looks like a 16-year-old kid, not a veteran soldier.

• joeymcjoeysalot says:

Completely agree with you Urthman. She’s been through 2 epically long battles. I’d put her at least at 28 by now.

• Dhatz says:

its the future, you dont need to age, being cyberized is so natural most people dont even think about about it.

3. Richard Cobbett says:

Can’t stand “FemShep” either. I think of her as the “Shepardess”.

Or, to be more accurate: Shepard. Because that is who she is.

4. Danny says:

When will people learn, democracy doesn’t work.

• Danny says:

The internet also proves its idiocy with some of the comments about the ‘ethnic’ version of Shepard.

• Kdansky says:

As if that version (Rihanna as inspiration I guess?) had even the remotest of chances of winning this. I can hear the hateful and mocking cries of “lol nigger shepard” from here. The blonde one is incredibly sexed out, and the first two remind me a lot of female Hawke. All in all, a very poor selection.

• lurkalisk says:

I don’t think anyone will vote for an ugly Shepard, regardless of gender. They don’t NEED to be particularly attractive, but why not? If it’s the substance of the character that matters, looks can’t possibly hurt. There’s nothing wrong with not having such looks, but the good in “good lookin’” is there for a reason.

…Unless you’re one who thinks pretty ladies don’t really exist and false rumours of their existence only hurt people’s self-esteem.

• Fierce says:

@lurkalisk

I think it has more to do with how whenever good looks are introduced, they tend to eclipse everything else of various (ie. probably higher) value, thus the “dammit, Democracy doesn’t work!” reaction of Danny, which I tepidly agree with. It’s like how politics can be, and sometimes is, dominated by which politician voters like, or produce good feelings upon the “first impression” test, rather than upon whether the politician represents the voter’s best interests or policy beliefs. The visual may be the source of harmless titillation, but it’s also the source of cultural profiling, vulgar assumption (ex. scantily clad women are sluts) and all kinds of undesired side-effects.

Therefore, it’s surprising you managed to type “If it’s the substance of the character that matters, looks can’t possibly hurt” with an -I assume- straight face. Good looks according to whom? White people it seems. Substance never gets eclipsed by good looks? There are many women, some of them the world’s most recognized and respected models, who would disagree. Lara Croft included.

That the blonde haired, blue-eyed iteration is “winning” speaks far louder than your slightly naive ideal ever could, and at best illustrates how the true subjectivity of beauty gets drowned out by overwhelming cultural saturation of what is “Normal” and what is “Other”, possibly(?) where Danny is coming from in the context of your comment.

For what it’s worth, I think the entire “vote for the New Female Default Shepard” objective is silly in that it only serves to generate the useless marketing data that the majority of the Mass Effect gaming population reflexively gravitates to the blonde and blue, while completely failing to cater to the voters professed needs. If the ending voting percentages turn out to be 37%-28%-17%-10%-6%-2%, what exactly is the obstacle to including all six model parameters in the Character Creation screen? Saving an extra 20MB in installation footprint? An extra 12 hours of development time? The objective of the voting seems to be marketing tripe of the worst kind, when the exercise itself could be awesomely used to raise awareness and appreciation of the female playthrough possibilities of the game.

Imagine Mass Effect, the game relentlessly “misinterpreted” by an ignorant news media, actually increasing gender equality in video games! Now that’s a day I wouldn’t mind seeing.

• Urthman says:

Fierce, all this is just about which picture on the box.

• rivalin says:

God, how achingly “correct” some of this discussion is, she’s only attractive “according to white people”, that’s not really true though is it? given how universal the preference for white women seems to be, especially among the ethnic group that does well in professional sport (not the done thing to draw attention to that fact though is it?)

Also, how is it sexist to pick the most attractive woman? The male Shepherd is based on a male supermodel, while the old female Shepherd wasn’t particularly pretty. Did anyone complain that he was objectified by all those tight t-shirts?

• Nalano says:

@ rivalin

Wait. You’re combating “political correctness” by saying Black athletes like to hook up with blonde bimbos?

I’d laugh if I wasn’t so sure you weren’t just trolling. But at any rate, the Nordic supermodel is a type and that type is very over-hyped and over-rated.

Based on which of these six Shepards looks most like a marine who punched Cthulhu twice, I’d have to say that none of them do, but #1 comes closest.

• Dhatz says:

they shouldnt even present any sexychick faces to begin with.

5. Orija says:

Why can’t female protagonists look like soldiers instead of lingerie models. Fucking love A Song of Ice and Fire in this regard.
    No. 2 for me.

• Zyrxil says:

The same reason why male protagonists have to modeled on male model Mark Vanderloo. Players need to identify with the Heros, and that’s easier if they’re good looking.

6. Cunzy1 1 says:

Grrrr!I’masangryasNu-PrinceofPersiaFemShep

7. Kaar says:

FemShep sounds like a female hygiene product

8. Stuart Walton says:

My Shepard is the only Shepard. Plus she looks like she can handle herself in a firefight.

Yes, I did call her SpaceVixen.

9. Arglebargle says:

I never play these with the default faces, so it doesn’t seem like much of an issue to me. The voice work is what’s the defining element, since that never changes.

I recall actually being bothered by hearing the same voice when trying to go through an all renegade run. It just seemed … wrong… somehow.

10. Inigo says:

What’s the betting that the others will be added later as paid DLC?

11. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

They all look exactly the same, only with got different haircuts and skin colour.

And none of them look anything like my female Shepard.

• Stuart Walton says:

Plus they all have the same make-up, which incidentally looks like it was done by a man as they all look like they began their career on a street corner.

Not one of them looks like they are the sole survivor of a thresher maw attack on Akuze or someone who could repel a Batarian attack single handedly.

Bioware, you get a fail. Please try harder next time.

• Fwiffo says:

‘Bioware, you get a fail. Please try harder next time.’

I’ve been saying this more and more lately. :(

• sinister agent says:

I was wondering if it was just me. They do all look the same. And they shouldn’t have any makeup at all, damn it, this is a secret mission to prevent a war, not a bloody catwalk.

• DarkNoghri says:

That’s what I thought too. I’m abstaining from the vote, because they’re all the same, and none of them are correct, anyway.

If Bioware is trying to find a model to use for marketing, they’re missing the point. We didn’t want a female in the marketing, we wanted Shepard. And those are not her.

• Jarl Hamburger says:

Ack, my thoughts exactly. Is the third one meant to be the Asian sort of FemShep? She looks more white than she does Asian.

12. coldvvvave says:

Femshep 5.

Even though I’m going to create a custom MALE character.

13. trillex says:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839558/ – Phew, Jennifer Hale is still in there. You guys had me worried.

14. phoenixdk says:

Gotta love the hypocrisy of them using default male shepard but not even having default femshep as a choice – will sigh a million sighs when they inevitably pick the blonde as the marketing shep.
    And here I was thinking that finally getting femshep recognised was going to be “a good thing” :(

• Staump says:

Unless I missed something, it seems like the voting is just to have one of those Shepards as one of the preconstructed characters, not the replacement for the original female Shepard. Therefore having the original female Shepard as one of the options would be pretty silly…

• phoenixdk says:

You’re right, I was just reading into this that marketing-wise they’re gonna go for female shep that look like/is exactly like the one which wins this vote and not the default female shepard (to go alongside default maleshep) for marketing.
      Maybe i’m overly cynical, but them’s my gut feelin’s

15. CaptainBinky says:

None of those options look anything at all like my Shepard. But then I was going for the Vasquez from Aliens vibe.

Having said that, my male Shepard looked like a fat Bruce Willis (aka Bruce Willis).

16. Kuroko says:

I love Nº5. She looks like my Shepard, but with messier hair… no problem with that, I’ll just roleplay that she went even MORE renegade (if that’s possible).

If she ends up being chosen (I hope so) I would even buy a poster. After all, she is my Shepard :)

17. duncanthrax says:

Why do people care? They all look unfriendly and antiseptic.

18. heretic says:

They’re all ugly except 5 maybe.

Anyway what’s wrong with a female Shepard with nice assets?

Male Shepard is tall and muscular, why can’t we have a stupidly gorgeous lingerie model female Shepard?

• Orija says:

Why can’t we have a tall and muscular female Shepherd?

• Symitri says:

Why can’t we have a stupidly gorgeous lingerie model male Shepa- oh wait.

• gwathdring says:

I’m with these two.

• skalpadda says:

Male Shepard has a very distinct face with a lot of personality though, which can’t be said about what looks like it will be the default female version. Doesn’t affect me since I’ll be importing my saves and never go with default looks in RPGs, but it’s a shame they couldn’t come up with something more original and an even bigger shame they’re turning it into a beauty contest on the internet.

edit: It also looks like she’s around 16 years old. And where did this male obsession with blondes come from anyway?

• heretic says:

@Orija that really isn’t my point.

Most women will pick men who are tall and muscular and will find that attractive.

Why can’t men pick women on their nice features?

And I’m not against having a tall and muscular female Sheperd. As long as options to make her sexy aren’t removed because “we’re against portraying women in games as lingerie models”.

Point is, attractiveness sells. Be it male or female, so stop your nonsense. Male Shepard is modelled after a real life Dutch model apparently, why can’t female Shepard be Milla?

Anyway I sure hope they pick 5.

• gwathdring says:

That’s fair, to a point. But so many female game characters look like lingerie models. And a lot of the rest look like prostitutes. How many female game characters look like professional soldiers, or normal women?

You could turn it around. How many male game characters look like professional soldiers? Crap. Lingerie models? Crap. Musclebound to the point of being ugly as opposed to sleek and sexy? Wait, crap. Normal men? Ha! Finally. Not too many look like normal men. You have me there.

There’s stereotyping on both sides. But it’s so much less varied with stereotyping with the women of gaming. There are so many fewer prototypical gaming women than prototypical gaming men. It’s as disappointing as the cup-sizes are ridiculous.

And finally, in a game where you play a military professional who has been through hell and high water, perhaps the most bad-ass person on the planet … I think tall and muscular makes a wee bit more sense. And for the record, I don’t like the default Shepard. He didn’t look like I thought Shepard should: proud, professional, firm, somewhat handsome but not necessarily a heart-throb (or a professional model). He also didn’t look like the action movie style toughest military bastard in the universe, which I wanted for my Renegade Shepard later on.

Side note: I did a Daniel Craig-like Shepard completely by accident … not the most bad-ass Shepard possible, but not bad at all; he’s got a pretty good death glare, and a decent calm yet prepared expression necessary for a Bond film. The first time I took a screenshot I suddenly realized he was the spitting image of that guy from that James Bond film that I barely remember and I found it hilarious that I didn’t notice while I was making it.

• Ergates_Antius says:

That’s definately not the hairstyle of someone who has spent long enough in the Military to rise to the rank of starship captain.

• Nalano says:

While you could say that tall-and-muscular is the default “male” thing and lithe-lingerie-model is the default “female” thing, thing is, we’re talking a marine, here.

One who (at least in my case) headbutted a Krogan. Tall-and-muscular would be apropos for both genders.

• Fierce says:

Might want to read my post above this thread, if you wish. I wrote it before reading this area.

• heretic says:

@Fierce

I agree that it is a bit of a crappy marketing strategy.

As far as I’m concerned I’d rather they include all 6 models they posted on facebook. I’ll just pick the one I like.

But as others have pointed out, we’re meant to be talking “marine” here, not some bimbo.

I agree that if you’re looking for believability you’d want someone who’d be capable of headbutting a krogan as pointed out.

But not everyone is looking for believability, I enjoyed the Bloodrayne games even though you had a bimbo vampire in heels doing cartwheels and dispatching nazis and monsters (lol).

A female Shepard looking butch isn’t what I’m looking for, but that’s a personal choice. As long as the developers allow people to make choices on appearance then I have no problem with that.

19. skinlo says:

Real men play with men!

20. Ubernutz says:

Number 2 looks like Alison Brie. Now trying to reconcile Community and ME.

21. aircool says:

No4 or No1 for me. Can’t seem to find the button to vote though.

22. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Was all this really necessary? Yeah, I chose LadyShep, but never did I feel offended that EA wouldn’t put her on the cover. And I’m definitely furrowing my eyebrows at this whole choose-the-prettiest-Shepard business.

• DarkByke says:

Why?

• gwathdring says:

Because they acknowledge female Shepard at last with a beauty contest? It doesn’t feel sexist exactly, but it feels … off. Something about it just doesn’t click. I mean, they could have done posters with female Shepard or a trailer. But they’ve got a facebook exclusive beauty contest instead. On the one hand, it’s easier to sculpt a custom face when you have a wider variety of starting looks to start from. And it’s nice to have pre-made one’s for the people who are bad with the editor which takes getting used to if you want to really make a nice looking face (here meaning either a realistic looking face, not necessarily an attractive one). But otherwise it’s a silly gimmick I don’t care much about. But something seems a bit off to me, as silly gimmicks I don’t care too much about go.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

gwathdring put it better than I could. Something just puts me off.

• phoenixdk says:

^ what he said

• Hindenburg says:

Given that the default male Shepard is based on a professional male model (and thus, someone that was involved in beauty contests), i really can’t see what’s the difference. At least they’re giving the players choice and a chance to increase the number of folks that play listening to Hale. Can’t exactly chalk that up as a bad thing, imo.

• gwathdring says:

Which still boggles me a bit. Do women find him alluring, handsome or even powerful looking? He seems so … pointy. His face is just awfully pointy and angley. Do a lot of women think that’s a good thing? I guess it’s a poor measure since I don’t have personal preference to go by here, but he doesn’t seem that attractive to me. Was he a face model or a body model? Why bother picking a model in the fire place? Is Shepard supposed to be a model or a soldier? The whole thing just confuses me, and this beauty contest thing makes it even more surreal and now it’s also a bit … off/uncomfortable as well.

• phoenixdk says:

“Which still boggles me a bit. Do women find him alluring, handsome or even powerful looking? He seems so … pointy. His face is just awfully pointy and angley. Do a lot of women think that’s a good thing? I guess it’s a poor measure since I don’t have personal preference to go by here, but he doesn’t seem that attractive to me. Was he a face model or a body model? Why bother picking a model in the fire place? Is Shepard supposed to be a model or a soldier? The whole thing just confuses me, and this beauty contest thing makes it even more surreal and now it’s also a bit … off/uncomfortable as wel”

As a certified woman, no, I don’t find him attractive, I’d never thought of him as “pointy” but very boring, bland and a bit “meh” for my tastes. I’m actually more attracted to default femshep, but that might have something to with heavily associating the voice acting with the faces. Male=bland, dull, Female =ACTUAL PerSONALITY
      (Needless to say I play as femshep)

• FKD says:

I would agree with what Phoenix says.. he is quite bland, and not in the least attractive. And I go for the female Shepard as well for both the voice acting, and she is just more attractive period. But then again, there are reasons I feel that way, so I was probably “not the woman you are looking for” when you asked that question! lol :D

• Nalano says:

@ phoenixdk

As a certified woman…

I wanna see the paperwork.

• Erd says:

How much of the ‘boring’ is from the voice coming out of the face though?

23. mickiscoole says:

I’m a fan of #5, if only because It’ll be easier to change in the character editor to what is essentially my shepard with a less screwed up face.
    (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150245299281795&set=o.85811091644&type=1&theater)

Failing that, #2

24. Nero says:

Hello Samus Shepard!

25. PanzerVaughn says:

Blondeshep will win, because it is Samus Shepard.

26. Alethron says:

She looks like Stana Katic from Castle

27. gwathdring says:

I liked the default. Classy. Not trying too hard.

28. kwyjibo says:

Pick the black one. EA’s marketing department would hate it if it won but make no comment about it. You know it’s true.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Totally this. None of them look even vaguely like a battle-hardened commander who’s saved the universe twice and died once. But, ridiculous hair aside, number 4 is the least offensive.

29. Squirrelfanatic says:

Why contain it? It’s cool.

No seriously, why not add them all to the character creator and just use the most popular one as the default and / or box cover model? Oh wait, maybe that is what they are doing…

• gwathdring says:

I don’t like any of them … but I also don’t see why they’d take away pre-made options because of how a face-book vote went. The wider the variety in pre-made options the easier it is to custom-build a face.

But damn the hairs are weird. None of them look like soldiers, either. Maybe it’s the pose?

30. Superbest says:

How come they all look like pop singers? What with the Rihanna Shepard and Katy Perry Shepard and all… Granted, my Shepard looked like a beefier Summer Glau, so yeah.

Also, are those the only pictures? Seems like a pretty poor angle to go by.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I don’t like any of those, and that rihanna one, god it’s like a clone, kill them with bad singing.

I made mine to look as much like Tanya out of RA2 as I could lol.

31. gwathdring says:

Wow. I don’t like any of them. The first one wasn’t terrible I guess …

I’ll be sticking with the default or making my own.

32. talon03 says:

I’m with Richard on the FemShep thing. She’s not FemShep. She’s SHEPARD.
    I play an ever-so-slightly tweaked default, and every one of those six give me a somewhat “uncanny valley” feeling… They’re saying that that’s Shepard, but you JUST KNOW that it’s not right.

33. dethtoll says:

Hopefully mine’ll just carry over. Yeah, she’s blonde and blue-eyed (blame it on the fact that I’m convinced she’s the alternate universe version of Samus Aran) but I like her, she’s got high cheekbones and her upper lip sticks out juuust a tad.

34. Masked Dave says:

Pfft, Shepard is a man.

35. Milky1985 says:

Anyway way to vote thats NOT a obvious ploy to get more views/hits on a social network?

Tbh the femshep chosen for the picture above would be the one I would chose.

36. FakeAssName says:

I vote #6 … or I would if I actually had a Facebook account. (fuck social sites, it’s all communist jackassery)

and if I actually liked the series, but I don’t so I won’t. the fact that I think #5 to be the worst of the lot (lack of personality that exists in the other 4) but that’s the one that is winning by a landslide is proof enough that I won’t like this game any more than I have not liked every other Bioware title.

• gwathdring says:

Communist? Are you sure? I think you’ve got your stereotypical versions of various political philosophies mixed up.

• FakeAssName says:

I said fucking commies because I meant fucking commies!

you go be a drone for the socialist movement of sucking ass hole and lying about how spiffy your life is in order to get more people to be your “friend.”

If my “friends” want to talk to me about the stupid shit that happened to them they can fucking call me or *gasp* knock on my god damned door.

worst case scenario is that they can write me a fucking letter, that includes paragraphs and shit, then e-mail it to me (i’m not so backwards as to expect them to physically mail it to me). Because if what ever it is can be explain it in a one line anecdotal sentence, it probably isn’t worth the time to tell it to me.

• gwathdring says:

I don’t like social networking sites either. I was trying to make a joke, but I honestly can’t tell you what was meant to be funny about it … my bad. I’ve always associated social networking with centralized government and surveillance, so if I were to pick a cartoonish boogeyman government, I’d pick Fascism or Dictatorship or something instead of communism. But I can’t tell if you are being more or less serious than I took you for. Assuming more, just in case, what the hell does communism have to do with social networking and fake on-line friends?

• FakeAssName says:

(I’m fucking around, I really do hate Facebook and the like but that’s just cause I think they are stupid. I figured I should practice channeling my inner “old bastard” for RP value.)

• Nalano says:

To be fair, while I also hate #5 – we don’t need any more blonde stepford wives – you can’t blame BioWare for the idiocy of the folks on Facebook, any more than you can blame the idiots on Youtube every time a developer releases a vid.

37. StickyNavels says:

Maybe there’s something wrong with my monitor settings, but are any of the alternatives supposed to be Not White? The darkest of the bunch looks tanned to me, at most.

All in all, very mundane, stereotypical stuff. Which I guess is in line with Bioware’s usual stuff.

38. Moni says:

If I was going to vote I would vote for black female Shepard, so it’ll be a minority two-fer.

But none of them look like Shepard, so I’ll probably just select male Shepard and pretend she had an accident in the Maximum Face factory.

39. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I played FemShep, And I loved her! I do hope I can keep the one I made.

40. Vayl says:

Bioware once again show how stupid their marketing department is, I don’t know really what theya re thinkign there.

What would they think the masses would choose? when most of them by their own numbers (and don’t get me started on designing by comitee and numbers like Bioware is doing) don’t play female Shepard they have no reason, motivation or incentive to choose anything that represents what a female shepard would really look like, and melrely choose the most sexy possible to see on marketing materials.

The Blonde one, that is the most voted by far is a complete wrong look, whiel the male Shepard, no matter if you like or dislake the face has the right look and sends the right message “i’m a badass that can save the world”, female Shepard seems like the will strip of her clothes and go on a runway showing off their langerie.

Can anyone honestly tell that face/attitude is right for Shepard?

41. Lemming says:

I’m liking #4. But then I have a thing for Latinos. Minority femshep FTW?

• Kevin says:

I did try to go for a Latino Shepard in the vein of Ding Chavez from the Tom Clancy books and Rainbow Six. But unfortunately, Jésus Armando Maria de San Pedro didn’t seem to go too well with the Anglo-Saxon last name “Shepard.”

And unlike Jennifer Hale’s voice, the male Shepard voice doesn’t go too well with any other face save for the default face in my mind.

42. FKD says:

When I first started hearing about ME I had seen quite a few pictures of the female Shepard and thought you had the choice between the two sexes and thought that was it as far as character creation went. But then after getting the game and finding there WAS more customization I then realized the pictures were simply of the two defaults. I also figured by them being the default, and by magazines showing pictures of both, that there was no “official” Shepard, and at the very least, if there was an official one, it was really both, just dependant on sex. So I was quite surprised (and honestly rather annoyed) when I found that Bioware was constantly using ONLY the male version.

And like a few others, mine is blonde/blue eyes as well, but I kept the stock face for the most part because I felt it was quite well done, and she certainly has the “look” you would expect of someone was fully Renegade, or atleast had pretty much fought the entire galaxy by herself. And I think Jennifer Hale’s voice really fits that face as well, as she does great at a no-nonsense, let get this done kind of character.

With that said, there is no reason that a “more attractive” person can not have any of those qualities, and that a “lingerie model” would be unable to stand up against those same odds. It kind of boils down to the typical pretty face = incompetent BS sexism society perpetuates.

43. John P says:

They look like the fucking Spice Girls.

And what a surprise the Facebook community goes for the most-weeaboo option.

This whole thing is pathetic.

• Erd says:

What the christ is a weeaboo?

• YourMessageHere says:

A pejoratve mostly-US slang name for an overenthusiastic anime fan; you know, the ones who call themselves otaku without taking notice of the fact it’s largely a derogatory term in its origin language. In my experience it’s usually used by idiots about idiots. Possibly it’s evolved a bit since I last looked it up.

Not sure how a blond, blue-eyed version of default Ms Shepard panders to anime fans though.

44. lunarplasma says:

I voted for #6, myself.

45. Hammelbamf says:

I chose the “wild blonde” one :)

46. Teddy Leach says:

“Somewhat depressingly, the blond, blue-eyed, most trad-sexpot of the six is currently winning this Facebook-based vote by around 10,000 Likes.”

You sound surprised.

47. brulleks says:

My One Real Shepard is a female middle-aged redhead, personality-wise a cross between Captain Janeway and a female Mal Reynolds.

Needless to say, I refuse to vote.

48. westyfield says:

Meh. I prefer the default female Shepard to those six, and it doesn’t bother me anyway as I’ll be importing my Shepard from ME1 and 2, who looks nothing like any of those six. I think I’d rather Bioware didn’t put female Shepard in the marketing – in the trailers it’s going to be weird hearing Shepard’s (Jennifer Hale’s) voice coming from the mouth of someone who isn’t my Shepard.

49. Shinryoma says:

The one that looks like Natalie Portman!

50. Metonymy says:

This version of Samus isn’t a cringing, needy victim of an abusive relationship.

Sounds like an overall positive.

Comment on this story