None More Bundley: Humble Bundle 3 Is Go

By Alec Meer on July 26th, 2011 at 5:30 pm.

Yes, you worked it out from the pictures. You're incredibly clever. Can I marry you?

First there was a Humble Indie Bundle. Then there was another Humble Indie Bundle. And now, there is a third Humble Indie Bundle! So it goes.

Yes, the pay-what-you-want pack that has brought welcome funds to indie devs and philanthropic organisations alike (not to mention giving gamers a fat pack of splendid indie games for bargain prices) has returned for a new Summer of fun. But which splendid indie games are in it, exactly? I’m glad you asked.

These ones!

• Crayon Physics Deluxe (making its Mac and Linux Debut)
  • Cogs (making its Linux debut)
  • Hammerfight (debuting on Mac and Linux and now has a new survivor mode)
  • VVVVVV (now with native ports to Mac and Linux, includes a never before seen map editor and some 3rd party maps)
  • And Yet It Moves (includes new achievements and other bonus content)

That’s worth $50 if you bought everything separately at standard prices. Pay what you want here, though. Far more, if you like. Everyone involved certainly deserves it. All the games involved come in PC, posh-PC or hippy-PC flavours – and DRM free regardless of which format you pick. Hooray!

Organisers Wolfire have also made a cacophonous but excellently excited video explaining Bundle 3:

As always, you can split whatever you pay between the game devs and charity Child’s Play or online civil liberty heroes the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Previous Humble Bundles have raised a whopping (it is The Law to say ‘a whopping’ before revealing any large fundraising figure) $1 million for those charities, as well as presumably making several indie developers deliriously wealthy.

More details and the place to pay’n'play are right here.

, , , , , .

1. tenseiga says:

These games look great, im still waiting for cortex command from the last humble bundle to be completed though. Its kind of lousy if you accept money for a product and dont complete especially in the trustworthy atmosphere the humble bundle generates. However I will pick this up.

• Teddy Leach says:

Have you any idea how long Cortex Command has been in development for? And how slow the development for it has always been?

• Nevard says:

I’d be suprised if he added a couple of guns before the end of the year let alone finished the game
      It’s been in a state almost identical to the current one for two years now

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

The state and progress of development for cortex command is unfortunate, yes, but amongst the first comments to every coverage of the Hundle 2 was always a warning that the developer had abandoned the game or at least development had stagnated a lot in recent time.

Complaining about this is like complaining that The Indie Stone were selling an incomplete game. I bought the Hundle 2 within the first hour, and i knew about CC beforehand.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Cortex Command is a sad tale. It’s such a great idea.

• Wolf0x says:

It was so unique (as far as I’m aware) so it’s a real shame development’s been so slow

• Zarunil says:

Cortex Command is a goldmine waiting to happen. Shame about the developer’s crappy attitude.

Maltose says:

I don’t see any issue with the Data Realm’s attitude. Sure, it’d be nice if he updated his devlog more often, but his project is far from dead. On the dev’s twitter feed, there are several updates every day about the additions they’ve made to the game.

• Gnoupi says:

Cortex Command, I bought on a black friday sale, about 3 years ago. It was build 22 then. Now is build 24, I think, since the bundle.

We are not really talking about Minecraft/Terraria pace of update, here.

I personally doubt it will really get really finished some day, but at least it is fun as a prototype.

• notjasonlee says:

i think the worst part about cortex command is how much it cost BEFORE the indie bundle. wasn’t it over 20 dollars?

2. Curvespace says:

Finally bought And Yet It Moves this morning and now I see this. Arrrgh! The ignominy!

3. Burning Man says:

That video is FANTASTIC.

4. Icarus says:

VVVVVV… map… editor….

What mad, terrible, glorious wonders will this give rise to?

• simoroth says:

Just check out Notches map its a bastard. :D

I did the port of VVVVVV. I hope people like the special PC only stuff I added.

Check out the “analogue mode” in graphics options. ;)

..Lets just say it accurately reflects my own memory of retro gaming.

Rinox says:

Can it be played on the “original’ VVVVVV? I mean, the non humble bundle version? I love me some more VVVVVV.

• simoroth says:

Yeah, all old versions of the game will be patched to the c++ version.

Rinox says:

Awesome, thanks for the answer!

lhzr says:

there’s no analogue mode in the gfx options, or anywhere else, for that matter :<

• Veracity says:

VVVVVV 2.0 isn’t on Steam yet, apparently. Should be whenever the developer and/or Valve get around to it. Meanwhile, continue not using CCleaner.

5. Tams80 says:

And to think I just said to myself, “You’re buying no more games this year. You’ve got too many you haven’t even bothered installing you idiot. That monitor won’t pay for itself you know!!!”. Ah well, my resolve immediately weakened.
    Having chosen to donate equally to both charities in the last bundles, I shalln’t be donating to them again. After blinding donating before and now having researched them, I have concluded I’d rather pay less for the bundle and donate to a charity of my choosing (which I do). While I’m sure their causes are worthwhile, I don’t feel, with all the charities out there, that their priorities are where the money is needed.

PS I shall not marry you.

• Teddy Leach says:

I always tip the majority of my money to Wolfire, then to the developers and the charities, favouring the developers.

• Tams80 says:

I’ve favoured the developers in the past. I shall do so again this time. Just I won’t donate to the bundle charities.

• Raziel_aXd says:

I got the majority of money to charities, hoping they do something worthwhile with it.

Off topic:
      @Teddy
      You spend too much time here and not enough on the noticeboard. There’s a question for you there.

• Teddy Leach says:

I’ll get to it tomorrow mate. When my internet’s being slow, I can’t see the text.

Gap Gen says:

I approve the shift of indie games to Linux. Although I also have to work on Linux, so, damn those indie developers for supporting my platform of choice. I hate you and I love you.

• Zern says:

Maybe creating a separate account just for gaming helps.
      I know it’s not the same kind of barrier as having to reboot,
      but still.

7. Vile Vile Vilde says:

The amount I paid is shameful.
    But at least I haz gamez.

Rinox says:

lol @ cut hole in a box reference.

This looks like the best humble bundle yet (to me), but unfortunately (so to speak) I already own half of the games in it.

• drlemon says:

I own all but one of the games, but i’m still buying (the history of hammerfight has been on my buy list for at least a year)

9. Tei says:

I will probably use this to give more money to the EFF. But I think I already have these games. I think EFF fight the good fight, and is how things sould be fight in a decent society, and not the anonymous group way.

Crimsoneer says:

Oooo, inserting the 1$ over average option is very, very cunning. I couldn’t bring myself to pay average :P

Petethegoat says:

I have all the games except for and yet it moves, which I’m not particularly interested in.
    Philanthropy will be the death of me.

12. HardDominator says:

The VVVVVV map editor alone is worth my cash.

13. KillahMate says:

Brilliant, as ever. I expected nothing less. Also as ever, I already own almost all of these :-)

Still, I’ll toss a few shekels in their general direction. They’ve earned it.

14. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I’m obviously giving this all the money I can spare at the moment, but for me, too this is the first bundle of which i already own half the games.

Still. VVVVV DLC (kinda). YES!

15. Kaira- says:

Paid 10$ (or 7.something europennies) even though none of the games really interests me (well, except And Yet It Moves). Gotta support DRM-freeness and Linux-versions, you see.

16. Vexing Vision says:

Ah, it’ll be the first Bundle I’ll skip. Cogs would be the only game of interest to me, and I dislike the slider-puzzle-mechanic.

17. ColOfNature says:

I’ve now bought Cogs twice in combo packs. But I didn’t have any of the others,and that little lot’s worth a tenner of anyone’s money.

18. airtekh says:

Hmm, I own and have played everything except Hammerfight, but it’s for charity so philanthropy ho!

Also, I love how they give you a key that you can activate on Steam. You get DRM free versions and can add everything to your steam library as well. Hurrah!

19. Vinraith says:

I think this is probably where I draw the line. Not only do I own all but one of those, I don’t really like any of them, so I think I’ll go make a donation to Oxfam instead.

20. Wolf0x says:

It’s barely been live for that long and already windows users, which I am one of, are being for the fourth time in a row stingy/selfish at the time of typing this the averages are:

Windows – $3.52
    Mac – $5.65
    Linux – $12.55

If you bought all of those games separate you’d be looking at about $50 so when think about that it’s a bit of a joke that there paying $3.52. I’ve got to congratulate Linux users for being decent people, well done guys

• Kaira- says:

Though then again I belive that the amount of Mac and Linux users is far smaller than Windows, which then again screws the average payment. Median would be quite interesting to see.

• Monkeh says:

Yeah, always makes me sad to see. Same story for every Humble Bundle, Windows users are always the cheapest. Ah well, I also only paid $10, which still feels like a steal.

• tenseiga says:

Mac users and Linux users are seriously just glad to have something to play. Windows users take it for granted, thats why the graph is skewed and always will be.

• Wolf0x says:

That’s probably why, I once considered swapping from windows to Linux but the lack of mainstream games convinced me otherwise

• Knef says:

I love how four out of five games were ported to Linux for the occasion.

• ColOfNature says:

I use Linux on my laptop, so it’s always nice to get some new games for it. Indies are ideal as AAA titles, if they were ported, would probably make my wee Compaq spontaneously combust.

• roosten says:

My suspicion is that the Windows average gets pulled down by the frankly terrible people who pay $0.01 for the collection.

• sbs says:

Want some cheese with your whine, buddy?

Maltose says:

Half of the games in the bundle are making their Mac and/or Linux debut. How many of those Windows purchasers have already got a copy of at least one of the games in the bundle?

Personally, I’ve already got a copy of all 5 of the games in this bundle, so I probably wouldn’t pay more than $2 or $3 for the sake of the extra Steaminess. If I really wanted to do charity, I’d write a check or visit the local soup kitchen.

• adonf says:

A lot of Linux users probably pay $13.37.

• iGark says:

This bugs me. It’s a pay-what-you-want. If I don’t want to spend fifty bucks on some games that I don’t need, then I can spend five. Calling me “frankly terrible” because I didn’t spend more than I needed to is annoying. This is a pay-what-you-want, not a discount. If I want to pay a penny instead of a fifty, so be it.

It’s like accusing people who buy things on the Steam summer sale as 75% terrible because they bought an indie game at 75% off.

• Tams80 says:

Wolf, no intention to offend, but I think you may have got it wrong. =D
      As Kaira pointed out, there are far more Windows users buying the bundle. This means the average is of course going to be lower. I mean just look at the ‘Total Payments by Platform’ pie chart and Windows users easily make up at least 60%. Statistically, the ‘cheaper’ people are more likely to be using Windows and this affects the average Windows payment. In regards to stinginess, at a quick glance, you can only really compare Mac and Linux payments, as they both have about the same share of payments.
      Then, as tenseiga said, Windows users are already more likely to have at least one of the games in the bundle and thus might not be able to justify paying more. On the other hand, most of the games are making their début on Linux and Mac, so those users are likely to pay more. You could even argue they are being more stingy.
      Finally, as iGark mentioned; why should people be judged on how much they decide to pay when it is pay-what-you-want? It is entirely their choice.

• Dave Mongoose says:

@iGark – The point is that it’s a charitable cause so any money is better than no money, hence they don’t set a fee.
      Having said that, if you only pay a penny then you actually cost the organisers money because of hosting and payment processing fees… it would actually be *kinder* to pirate the games if you’re not prepared to pay a dollar or two.

@Tams80 – there’s no reason that the average should be lower because there are more people… that’s the whole point of an average (total paid/number of buyers)…

• Kaira- says:

@Dave

All of these games have already been available for Windows for quite some time, so it’s possible that people have rebought these games, thus feeling less incentive to pay “standard” fare, as compared to Linux and OS X users who may get their first touch to these games via Humble Bundle and pay more. Also, I’d say that Windows users may have much larger margin of those who pay 1$ or less as compared to OS X and Linux-people. This is why median would be quite interesting to see where it settles as compared to average.

• Mattressi says:

It saddens me when people pay $0.01, because it clearly will never get to the HIB teams and instead will be eaten up by Paypal. However, I see no issue with those who only pay a few dollars. I’m not interested in any of the games in this bundle (hell, I swore I’d never again play VVVVV after playing the demo out of shear frustration), but I figure I’ll throw at least $2 at it. I’ll probably never play the games, but it’s $2 that they never would have got from me otherwise and I like to keep supporting these bundles. If I end up falling in love with one of the games (or more than one) I’ll probably end up buying it full price anyway just to support them some more.

TL;DR, think of small dollar amounts as money that they’d never have received otherwise. It all adds up.

• Kamos says:

0.01 is below the minimum transaction for paypal (it doesn’t cover the operational cost). I read some comment from the humble bundle guys on this after thr first bundle, and I think it was something like “let it be”, but I can’t remember exactly what it was.

• Rii says:

Why don’t they set a minimum price sufficient to cover their costs in terms of PayPal fees and bandwidth? =/

phlebas says:

@Rii: Because then there will be a million comments whining that it’s not really ‘pay what you want’.

21. Wulf says:

I actually own all of these! Whee!

Though I’ll likely end up buying them for someone else.

22. PanzerVaughn says:

You say “VVVVVV map editor”, i say “8====D Generator”

23. Erucan says:

Always wanted to play VVVVVV so this is a good time for it :D Bought it for 20 bucks and around 12 bucks of it went to the devs :) Hope we get more of these fantastic deals.

phlebas says:

I already had all of these. But now I have them DRM-free at a diddy price, so I still win!
    Do we know whether the enhancements apply to the Steam-registered versions?

25. Berzee says:

Let me tell you these two things:

1) If I own any of these games, and how many.
    2) How much I paid for this Bundle.

Let me tell you these two things.

Johnny Law says:

Well? We’re waiting!

Lambchops says:

I was just going to go for excitedly proclaiming how wonderful VVVVVV was wondering what people were waiting for if they hadn’t already bought it.

I stick my tongue out at you, good sir!

• Berzee says:

Interesting approach, Mr. Chops…

26. Out Reach says:

curses first bundle where i own everything :\

27. skinlo says:

Pity I don’t like the majority of indie games otherwise this would be a great deal!

28. boldoran says:

Hammerfight is the only one i don’t already own. I think I will pass this time.

Nero says:

I had 3 out of 5 games, but I still bought the bundle to support this. Haven’t played VVVVVV in a while so I began playing it again. Only took me 9 minutes to clear Veni Vidi Vici this time :D.

30. Matrix101 says:

Hum I already bought Crayon Physics a correct price in some kind of ‘paid what you want action’ on their site quite some time ago I think (I checked, beginning of 2010 :). All money for dev, but they (he) deserve(s) it. :)
    Now, all those games are available on Steam, and apparently none of those can be registered on Steam. :/
    DRM free actions like those are really *great*, and should be rewarded, but I would prefer such actions to allow me registering games on Steam too. I’m even ready to paid a little bit more for that, for personal convenience purpose.
    Next time maybe?

Edit:
    DOH!!!!!
    Following Tei comments below, I just bought the package and YES, you got one Steam Key to get all 5 games!!! Grooooovy. :)
    Go ahead! Long live indie games! :) :)

Tom De Roeck says:

OWNED. As in, I bought it.

32. Tei says:

Some nice news: The package register on Steam. So if you planned to have some of this games on Steam, NOW is the moment.

I just registered it, and are downloading the games, woot!.

33. phenom_x8 says:

Nice, paid it! I’m always miss the last two humble indie program! I wont miss this one for sure!

DarkNoghri says:

“PC, posh-PC or hippy-PC”

Aren’t posh-PC and hippy-PC the same thing?

35. InternetBatman says:

It’s nice that they’re doing another one, but I kind of wish they would make them annual or biannual. I’m afraid they may run the concept into the ground, since in the last one the only game I really liked was Trine.

36. MadTinkerer says:

And once again it’s comprised entirely of games I already own. Oh well..

37. Tams80 says:

T’was supposed to be a reply. My bad. =(

38. Kamos says:

For some reason the mail alert for the second bundle did not arrive at my mailbox. I was so sad.

Anyway, as always the humble bundle video rules.

• Pointless Puppies says:

I don’t think I got one either. I remember finding out about it only after it was over. Now you (and the e-mail for this bundle) reminded me I was supposed to have gotten one for the second.

>:|

39. Avish says:

Got two of these games and don’t really care about the others.
    But still going to buy the bundle for a few dollars to make a positive point.

40. lunarplasma says:

Bought it!

41. SimonDuck says:

Notch with the $4,048.00 donation. What a man. Although all the top 10 should be praised. I paid the average amount, makes me feel a bit bad.

42. Shazbut says:

Hammerfight is awesome

43. Kdansky says:

Wow, US Dollars sure are worth nothing any more. I can buy the bundle for twice the average and it’s still less than a (definitely overpriced) cup at Starbucks.

44. Heliocentric says:

Just remembered to get the bundled, paid a lil above average.

45. Heliocentric says: