It’s Alive: Dead Cyborg

By Jim Rossignol on July 26th, 2011 at 8:59 am.

Indie first-person adventure game Dead Cyborg has seen creator Endre Barath release its first episode on a pay-what-you-want basis, and you can get it here. The game is apparently a mixture of FPS exploration and text adventure, and Barath thinks this first episode should last you 2-3 hours. It’s looking like a remarkably accomplished labour of love for the developer, so it’s worth taking a look.

I’ve posted the trailer below, so you can get a taste of what it’s like.

, , .

1. Khann says:

Will have to check this out when my internet is uncapped.

• PiP999 says:

I feel your pain mate, the Steam Summer Sale ran up my bandwidth cap in the first week of July :/ But August is only a week away!

2. MuscleHorse says:

Surprised at the quality of the graphics, though the controls seem somewhat wonky in that there’s no mouselook and you look up and down with the up and down arrows.
    I think I’ll have to try this out on my proper compy as this poor old laptop struggles, bless it.

3. Stuart Walton says:

Played this yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Some of the puzzles are a bit obtuse until you start searching every corner for an item you possibly missed as lootable items are not highlighted and don’t stand out. You could argue that to be a valid design decision though, making the player hunt every nook and cranny.
    Story is told through holocubes, talking to robots, and vid screens. You’ll want to read them all so that makes the need to search locations thoroughly not so much of a grind. Looking forward to Ep 2.

It’s also pretty good looking for a 30MB download, I thought at that size it was going to be a point and click adventure through pre-rendered scenes. It’s a fully 3D thing. Lack of mouselook is odd but once you get used to using the keys the lumbering pace fits in with the narrative.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah. it looks really good for a 30 mb download. I didn’t expect it to be full 3D either.

4. Khemm says:

Looks like the first episode’s been out for a while, thanks RPS for reminding me about this game!
    Downloading, can’t wait to try it out after work.

5. rustybroomhandle says:

And it’s gloriously cross-platform. Winders only for now, but Linux/Mac coming soon. Seems to always be the indies that are smart enough to know that they’ll do better to support multiple platforms.

6. MD says:

Machinarium 3D!
    And I don’t mean that as any kind of insult.

• MD says:

(I haven’t played it yet, I’m just going by the visuals. I don’t expect the tone or gameplay to be particularly similar, but either way, I’m certainly keen to see it for myself.)

• zeroskill says:

Agreed it looks Machinarium-ish, which is a good thing. This is going on my list of to-play games as soon as I work my way though what I havent touched yet from the summer sale. :D

7. foxfifi says:

Dank u voor sharing.maybe zul je net als de MBT NEDERLAND.Have een mooie dag!

8. phenom_x8 says:

Donated. And I hope this indie could put those wonky “generic another First Person AAA game clone developed by ex Pc Exclusive developer for multiplatorm” into a shame, Endre.
    And I’m not yet downloaded it, though!

9. thepaleking says:

I love the setting, the crazy fractured dialogue, just about everything but the actual gameplay. Or at least the pixel hunting. I cannot stand pixel hunting. I’m currently stuck on a point where I know exactly what I am meant to do in order to move on, but I cannot find some little gadget that is needed to complete the puzzle. Still, its a fantastically original little game and I’ll gladly give some money to the developer.

• Stuart Walton says:

I had that problem too. Had a real pain finding the third SPOILER*. There are no clues to its location, eventually found it in the same room as the other two after an exhastive search.

*mouseover to reveal

10. fenriz says:

i don’t see any puzzle in this game. Just keycards and cans!
    Oh and controls are just fine for me but that’s because im an oldtimer, fussy young douches will complain that everything’s not immediately accessible, but, hello, men evolved because they adapt to things. JUST play this game and in a few minutes the controls will become so natural you’ll have a hard time getting back to mouse lazy shits. That’s how humanity works, we adapt.

• BeamSplashX says:

As a member of the now-defunct pop supergroup Fussy Young Douches, I can tell you that accessibility isn’t a sticking point when it comes to enjoying something like this.

11. thebigJ_A says:

Blech. The controls are awful. Why on earth not have mouselook in this day and age? Especially in a game that is a pixel hunt. I hate pixel hunting anyway, but to have to do it with keys is painful. Doesn’t help that the movement is so floaty and awkward. And there’s no diagonal movement.

Oh, and hey, no save, too. So if something comes up an hour in (like it just did) I’ll have to go through the clunky mess again to get back where I was.

Sorry, I love indies, but this I can’t encourage. It’s pay if I like, and I don’t.

• Deano2099 says:

Yep, lack of mouselook just annoyed me, and not just that. Movement and looking is on the keyboard. I mean the Tex Murphy games are a bit annoying to play these days but at least they have movement on the mouse and camera with the keyboard.

12. Nyst says:

What would be a good price to pay for this? I have no exerience with these pay-what-you want deals.
    Also I have no paypal account. Are they good? How much of what I donate goes to them?
    Like, if I want to give them five bucks, do I have to donate six?

• Mr_Initials says:

Paypal runs off their credit card service/ banking service. None of the money you would donate to this game would go to paypal. Personally I like it.

13. HunterZ says:

Tried running this on my Win7 x64, Core i7-860 (4.2GHz), 8GB RAM, ATI HD5870 desktop and it is very choppy (likes to stop and think for 30 seconds every time I try to take a step).

Update: Upgraded to AMD Catalyst 11.7 drivers and the issue is gone.