E.Y.E. Trailers Are Of Varying Quality

By Jim Rossignol on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 am.

This is the cosplay event, right?
You might recollect a previous trailer for StreumOnStudio’s Source-powered shooter, E.Y.E. You’ll probably remember it because the name is so bad, but you might also remember the pacey movement and fairly hardcore approach the team are taking: RPG elements, hacking, lots of interesting-looking menus… Anyway, two new trailers have surfaced, one showing off the moody cyberpunky environments throughout the game, followed by some gun-action, and the other showing the POV of a robot trundling about aimlessly in a boring cave. One of the videos makes the game look impressive, and the other does not.

StreunOnStudio got in touch to say they’ll be letting me get my hands on the game soon.

Compare and contrast:

, .

1. skyturnedred says:

This has the potential to be super awesome, hope they succeed. Sure looks interesting enough. Also, hooray for small HUD, must be PC-only!

2. gwathdring says:

Count me casually interested.

Sinomatic says:

Me too.
      Wouldn’t go as far as excited, but it has caught my, er, eye.

3. ceb says:

I’m going to pretend that both were ingame footage. Then the robot vid would have been breathtaking. … I can’t, it wasn’t, its not.

God I’m bored.

• sassy says:

The robot vid would have been breathtaking if it were in game? You must be short of breath all the time since that wasn’t exactly well done nor was it pretty. The scenery were just plain rocks which are simple to do, the cave roof was just a curve and we couldn’t even tell the texture quality cause of the screen filter and mostly zoomed out camera.

• Lemming says:

Sassy, I think the point he’s making is that the second video was live-action.

• Mayjori says:

2nd video was definitely live-action, not In-game footage.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I am thirding the “that was live action” vote for video #2.

4. coffeetable says:

They seem to be fans of the “brown” school of level design. Brown E.Y.E perhaps?

5. Tei says:

Looks very good. Sorta Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Cyberpunk.

• Chikiwikie says:

This would be sweet.
      Also: Looks more DeusEx than Human Revolutin does.

6. JackShandy says:

Did I miss some vital plot point in the second video?

7. Alexander Norris says:

This is headed for Translation Trainwreck station so incredibly fast.

(“streumon” is verlan – more or less the French equivalent of pig Latin – for “monster.” The bad guys are called “the metastreumonic forces.” Then again, the good guys are called Secreta Secretorum, so…)

Hanban says:

Am I the only one who finds that the art direction is terribly similar to Warhamer?

I could have sworn I was looking at some typ of Chaos warriors/space marines when I first glanced at the post picture.

• Robin says:

Didn’t they say it too, that it is inspired (also) from Warhammer40k?

The setting they’re using, reminds me of Requiem: Avenging Angel.

Hanban says:

Ah, well, I can’t say I mind. It looks pretty neat, I was just surprised since I thought I was gonna be reading something Warhammer related.

• Zombat says:

The one is the middle is definatly a Chaplin

• G_Man_007 says:

I was thinking that before I saw your post Hanban. I was thinking Slaanesh…

• Dances to Podcasts says:

If I had to count all the games whose look was influenced by Warhammer I’d get no work done today…

• blackjackshelak says:

I noticed the art style before I even read the header to this article. What I didn’t notice right away was the psuedo-vindicare on the left, as she’s being somewhat sneaky almost blending into the background.

phlebas says:

I am cautiously excited.

10. Nighthood says:

Has the look of a very professional mod. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it’s the impression it gives.

• Psico_Payaso says:

Thats exactly what i thought too.. I don’t know, I must say i’m not thaat impressed.
      Is this a singleplayer or multi player game..or both? From the graphic quality i thought at first it was some kind of first person mmo game. Or is it just me, dunno.

• Alexander Norris says:

It’s an SP game, IIRC.

• esoj says:

has singleplayer and co-op for up to 8 players. 4 is the preferred number though from what I remember a dev saying. I think I also remember reading in a q&a that there was some kind of competitive player vs player multiplayer mode too.

11. Inigo says:

They couldn’t afford SuperHuman reflexes, so they had to buy a pack of SupraHuman reflexes from Lidl instead.

Sinomatic says:

Funny thing is, the reflexes from lidl would probably be better quality…

Serious word-related question though: what is the difference between the supra- prefix and super- ?

• Old Tom says:

Supra and Super are closely related both arising from the Latin preposition super …

In usage, supra is used to refer to text that is “above” or “prior,” referring to text, ie the above-mentioned reference. Used almost exclusively in legal or academic settings .. also in poorly translated PC games.

Super is a plain ol’ english adjective meaning above, exceeding, beyond.

12. sciopath says:

Actually, the second vid was released as a “just for fun” teaser; earlier than the first “more serious” trailer.

13. Mitchk says:

That second trailer is probably the most secretive trailer I’ve ever seen – it doesn’t give much away!

The game looks great though, really polished and nicely presented! The little status updates at the bottom are bit corny (I’ve increased my level!!!) but apart from that I’m impressed!

14. del says:

Remote controlled car with a night vision camera – boring! (Note that it was filmed two days from now…)

Electrified Samurai swords and decently represented enhanced movement – exciting!

15. LuNatic says:

The picture at the top of the page is pretty cool, but both the videos are quite underwhelming. The environments appear to lack texture and detail, the world appears vastly underpopulated and those messages at the bottom of the screen were pretty awful.

16. CMaster says:

Actually, I remember it less for the name and more for the brain-melting stupidity that was the plot summary on the website. Of which there were thousands and thousands of words.

I still hold to the idea it’s more of a linear cyberpunk dungeon crawler than a Deus Ex style immersive sim, but that could still be good. But let’s be honest, it’s going to be a “love it despite its massive flaws” game, not a masterpiece. Looking forward to a WIT on it.

• Belhoriann says:

According to your post, you know absolutely nothing about what E.Y.E is.I highly recommend you to read the long and interesting FAQ of the game :

E.Y.E : Divine Cybermancy is a non-linear FPS with lots of RPG elements in an original Cyberpunk universe.

• CMaster says:

Honestly, that FAQ has left me non the wiser. My judgements were based on the videos and screenshots I’d seen, nothing more – I’m quite prepared to be proved wrong. What I can glean from that FAQ actually makes it sound more like Strife than anything else.

• medwards says:

Really Belh, it seems rather obvious from the trailer that CMaster is right. Love it despite its flaws.

And then there are the other indicators.
      You work for the “Secreta Secretorum”? Really? I mean the name for the enemy is only understandable if you know ‘verlan’ and its a superior title.
      The FAQ you list includes “Can I dismember a NPC?” Which tells me the developers have difficulty difficulty with signal-to-noise control.

No ones expecting this to be AAA but I’m not going to be surprised if there are serious problems. That being said, if the price point is right I’ll give it a shot because there is definitely a LOT of ambition.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Apparently the devs are having a really hard time translating their humor to English, but another thing about the game is that it’s supposed to be very tongue-and-cheek and very funny. Note I said “supposed to be.” So I wouldn’t take the plot or the Secreta Secretorum stuff too seriously.

17. zeroskill says:

Wow they made some significant progress.

18. Brutal Deluxe says:

Hmm. I’m going to disagree here and say that neither trailer looks particularly good.

• Riztro says:

Yeah, the gunplay looks nice enough but there’s too many “because it’s cool” things. Like the pig latin (could I swap sides from the secretions to the monsters please?) and those horrible, horrible dualwield, sparkly katanas that move as though it was Gordon F swinging a pair of wrenches.

19. Loddfafnir says:

About the messages at the bottom of the screen, you can desactivate them in the settings.

20. cHeal says:

Daikatana….?

21. ATwig says:

An Eye for an…

(Wait for it)

EyE

*rimshot*

Oh god please just kill me now…

• squareking says:

You know, I’d say the artists really have an eye for detail.

22. ng.aniki says:

Some people have to understand that the game was made by a really small team, less than 10 people. It cannot be compared to AAA games.
    Knowing that, I honestly beleave they did an amazing job !

23. televizor says:

“Supra Human reflex saved me”
    Thank you, Supra Human reflex!

This looks cool though.
    The second trailer was the shite.

BathroomCitizen says:

I wish more games used this kind of Cyberpunk setting!

I can’t get enough of them.

25. TariqOne says:

Been waiting patiently on this. Sci-fi coop is good. Not expecting to be blown away, but it looks to be a solid effort from a tiny, plucky developer.

Asif says:

That colonoscopy video should really get the over-40 crowd interested in this game.

27. BeamSplashX says:

So many stats! In a cyberpunk FPS! I’m excited! Good! Critical Attack!

28. Chakawi says:

This probably is’nt new, but what’s that guy doing wearing Boba Fett’s helmet, and why has he repainted it?

29. wodin says:

Neither video peaked my interest….

Bring back Van Buren….sorry had to say that…been playing Fallout 1 and 2 again and want Van Buren….the old Black isle team should reclaim their work…finish it change the names of stuff to comply with copyright and release it..

• TariqOne says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Avellone in Fallout: New Vegas use a ton of the plot structure/elements previously put together for Van Buren? Whatever the case, FONV was a worthy successor to FO1 and FO2, IMO.

30. MythArcana says:

This looks like a great time for our bi-monthly IndustrySpeak lesson, kids!

RPG Elements = Mass Effected, nothing substantial.
    Streamlined = Stripped down for consoles
    Release Delays = Troubles porting to ConsoleX or ConsoleY
    Cloud Gaming = Lazy and/or poor developers who can’t or won’t run their own hardware
    MMORPG = Antiquated Subscription Fever (created by Sony, perfected by Blizzard)
    DLC = Effective revenue duplication system

Now study hard, kids. There’s a test at the end. ;)

31. Bfox says:

I loved Syndicate Black Ops, i’m faithful they’ll make another excellent experience.