Rage: “The Enemies” Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on July 28th, 2011 at 5:31 pm.

It now seems certain that video previews for Rage will never end (not least because Carmack was again quoted talking about Rage 2 this week…). Even after the game has been released we will, for as long as live, see talking heads from Id pop up to tell us about the value of the story, or the open world, or – in this particular case – the enemies that you are inevitable going batter in bloodied carcasses with a double barrelled shotgun.

Ah, but it’s cleverer than that. This isn’t Doom, you know: the ranks of the enemy contains a sinister cabal called The Authority, and they mean business. Shooty business. They’re not interested in talking to the monsters, no sir. And they’ve got more than sharp sticks. But what are they doing? What do they want? Well, that’s the point of the game’s story, I think. There’s also another glimpse of that gigantic mutant and some details of the animation system in here. Excitingly, we sent our one of our sinister cabal to take a look at Rage recently, so we’ll be able to tell you a bit more about the whole thing at the start of August.

, , .

1. Teddy Leach says:

It’s like they couldn’t think of a more generic faction.

• McDan says:

“We’re a close-knit unit of hardened veterans, but we’ve recently had an inexperienced rookie put into our squad. Which leaves us with a sniper who has a mysterious past and doesn’t talk, a big badass heavy weapons guy, a scantily clad female medic and me, the leader (who used to be a maverick cop on the edge)” Completely original idea.

• Teddy Leach says:

Of course, the rookie will be better at everything than the rest of the team, show them all up, earn their respect, get the girl and save the day. Sigh.

• Meatloaf says:

Really, though, id has been writing and creating the most generic sci-fi shooters in existence for the last twenty years. I don’t expect anything new, different, innovative, or all that creative from a company that always seems to be just working with ideas and trends from seven years in the past. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great at polishing things and making really well-optimized engines and all that. They’re just stagnant as hell.

It’s like that One Older Relative only now discovering lolcats.

PoulWrist says:

What’s 7 years old about Rage? Looks pretty new to me. Who needs new weird crappy ideas when you can have new good ideas, like Rage as opposed to for instance Bulletstorm. Both scifi shooters set in wastelands. One isn’t out yet, the other was just pretty bad. Other shooters, recently, FEAR 3, sucky, except apparently in coop where it was OK. What else… Call of Duty series turning more and more into Serious Sam. Erh… other shooters? Medal of Honor, was sucky, trying to be Call of Duty and failing… hm what else. Has there been other shooters recently? I usualy play them if they look nice. Oh yea, Crysis 2, sucked, and wasn’t doing anything new either. Sooooo hm, we’re down to id being just as revolutionairy as the rest, only … they are probably going to do a better job at it than those others.

• AlexTaldren says:

I noticed that Battlefield remains suspiciously off your list…

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Borderlands was brilliant, I must say. In fact, as commented below, this game has more than just a hint of borderlands to it. Which is in favour of Rage.

• Ruffian says:

I’m sorry, but @ PoulWrist: who says you know what ideas are good and what ones are weird and crappy? It’s called being different. I, for one, enjoyed bulletstorm, purely on the grounds that it wasn’t another cod clone. And how much can you really expect from an fps in terms of new things anyway? it’s an fps. there are only so many ways to shoot people. you want variety? you should probably look somewhere else.
      Also am I the only person that think this looks an awful lot like fallout without the rpg stuff?
      I’m calling it now – no need to wait for the RPS verdict – it’s a renter. I’d be willing to stake my rig on it. another game that will be fun for about 12 hours and then never get played again.

• Ultra Superior says:

PoulWrist is right. Also, “generic” is kinda part of the genre here – everyone will feel like at home in rage – authority=enclave/BoS, bandits=raiders, mutants=mutants. Or you can add Stalker variables instead of fallout’s and it will be generic as hell too, just covered in mud instead of dust.

Its about how well and how far will they go from these generic designs. And I think they’ll use them to make a pretty great show. The game looks like it will play great – me like.

Also, there are some quirky and quite original characters too in the Rage trailers, but you dont shoot them outright, you converse with them first.

• The Colonel says:

“The Authority”. Hmm…. Not the most original name, but I wonder what the “resistance” to the Authority will be called? Hopefully something more interesting and unique. Fingers crossed…

2. Faceless says:

Animations – especially the recoil of weaponry – still look incredibly clunky and robotic. Still curious about it, but less so with each developer diary.

3. Pemptus says:

It’s been bothering ever since the first gameplay videos – the throwing of the boomerang thingy doesn’t seem to have any sort of impact behind it. It’s like he’s throwing a marshmallow in a painfully offhand fashion.

• Echo Black says:

I think what puts me off about the boomerang throwing is not the animation, but the effect it has on the target – That dinky weightless marshmallow lops off a bulging mutant’s head like it was nothing. It just looks wrong.

4. Inigo says:

I don’t want to say “Crimson Lance” again, but…

Well.

• Alexander Norris says:

Hey, look! It’s those dudes from Borderlands!

Is Rage a secret Borderlands remake?

• Shark says:

It pretty much looks like a serious version of Borderlands.

• Pinkables says:

With any luck this game will let you steer while running though.

5. Vagrant says:

I’m pretty sure that as long as this game has a fair amount of NPC interaction that doesn’t require shooting at them or watching them get shot I’ll be happy..

6. Orija says:

All their trailers are kinda same-ish.

7. Rii says:

Giant troll dude was interesting. Also I notice they’re using the pre-order exclusive double-barrel shotgun…

Looks great mind you, there’s just not much left to say at this point. Looking forward to the RPS verdict!

8. CaspianRoach says:

Gee, stop jabbering about AND RELEASE THE GAME ALREADY SO I CAN PLAY IT, ID.

9. magnus says:

Oh god so the wingeing hasn’t stopped? Maybe you should stop playing that version of Rage in your heads, you know the one I mean, THE ONE THAT iD DOESN’T KNOW ABOUT BECAUSE THEY’RE NOT FUCKING PSYCHIC? Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh, Rage indeed!

10. Radiant says:

That actually looked good.
    Well fuck me.

11. coldvvvave says:

Boring.

• magnus says:

And what’s THAT supposed to mean? And not boring enough to pirate I bet!

• Teddy Leach says:

Call me psychic, but I think he means it looks boring. Which it does, really.

• coldvvvave says:

It’s so boring I’m not even going to pirate it. Games are boring. All games. Guess I finally grew up.

• Solcry says:

Or you became boring. One of the two.

• moondog548 says:

@coldvvvave… have you recently taken up BASE jumping? That usually does it.

• wodin says:

Looks less boring than SPace Marine

• Ultra Superior says:

@wodin. Thats right.

And yet, I’ll buy space marine – because throwing money at anything Warhammer40K feels great.

12. The Innocent says:

I think it looks great. Sometimes what I want is a solid shooter. And this looks very solid.

13. bitbot says:

I love how everyone hates CoD rehashes but then they do nothing but complain when a game isn’t like that.

• iGark says:

I thought I was the only who loved it. Most people are sarcastic about it. I don’t understand those people.

• Meatloaf says:

That’s because folks aren’t complaining about CoD rehashes, but rehashes in general. This is most definitely a rehash. It’s just a bunch of old ideas from other games piled on each other. Borderlands, Bioshock, Fallout 3/NV, and all of id’s older titles.

Hanban says:

I certainly like the look of it. I was very skeptic in the beginning, but it looks like it will be fun to play.

I don’t mind it looking similar to Borderlands. I personally got tired of Borderlands before I finished it, because none of my friends had been willing to buy and play it. And as a singleplayer game, Borderlands was really dreary.

Here’s to hoping Rage is the game I wanted Borderlands to be!

14. SirKicksalot says:

EDGE’s legendary Doom review is available here: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/doom-review

Quote: “Edge has no intention of joining the rabble mindlessly praising Doom beyond its worth”

• Teddy Leach says:

They were angry that you couldn’t discuss current affairs with the imps.

“lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances… Now, that would be interesting.”

Derp.

• ResonanceCascade says:

That reviewer also used the phrase “will literally blow your mind.” Shit, I’d better not play any id games any more, just in case. That would be a disaster.

PoulWrist says:

Doom certainly sucked. That’s why now, 18 years later, it still has an active community of players, modders and mappers. Nothing good came of that game.
      Also, there are to my knowledge, and I play Doom relatively regularly, no green lizards in the game… wth?

• Magnetude says:

To be fair, Doom was what turned us away from quirky, interesting adventure games and towards the model of ‘look at the man before the man can look at you’ that we’ve been running with for the last 17 years. It’s not Doom’s fault though.

15. Inglourious Badger says:

“The Authority. You don’t know anything about these guys til much later in the game…”. Or you watch any of the 50 spoilerific videos we’ve released so far!

cairbre says:

Yeah its true for the whole game you will know it ends against the authority because they have the evil name and of course a hidden secret. Real page turning stuff lol

16. Calabi says:

That looked like a pile of shit, moulded and formed to look something like a game.

PoulWrist says:

So I guess you don’t play FPS games, then.

• Teddy Leach says:

Look, Poul, if you think this looks pretty new, then YOU can’t play many FPS games.

Hanban says:

I don’t think that was what he was saying, Teddy. I think it was more a reflection on the fact that this is the way FPSes are these days. I had fun with MW2, despite of it being more or less just an expansion of the first game.

Innovation brings games forward, sure, but innovation alone doesn’t make a fun game. I think Rage looks like it might be fun!

P.S. I am not sure I understand where either of the two first comments are coming from, and what they really mean. I just inferred what I suspected they meant.

17. Echo Black says:

“the ranks of the enemy contains a sinister cabal called The Authority, and they mean business. Shooty business. They’re not interested in talking to the monsters, no sir.”

:( Damn! Wait till Wulf hears that!

cairbre says:

Well if the enemy ai is good then it could be fun. The story is toss thou

• Rii says:

@cairbre: “The story is toss thou”

So you’ve read the script, then?

• Teddy Leach says:

I actually like to think that he was badly quoting Shakespeare.

“The story is toss, thou.”

Of course, that still makes no grammatical sense.

PoulWrist says:

But then, when was the last time we saw a shooter with a plot that was any good? Aren’t they all 80′s action movies? And if we’re doing that comparison, then Arnold wouldn’t be in very many of them, because they’re that crappy.

• Hindenburg says:

@PoulWrist

Bioshock was pretty damn decent in that regard. Can’t see how it could be an 80′s action movie.

liquidsoap89 says:

I thought Singularity’s story was pretty well done.

• Thants says:

Metro 2033 has a fairly good story.

• Magnetude says:

I hate this defense of generic games.

“This game’s story is generic and bland”
      “All these other games have milquetoast stories, so it’s ok”

“This shit flavoured milkshake tastes awful”
      “No it doesn’t that’s just what shit tastes like”

Can we all just agree to stop buying first person shooters until they start making an effort?

19. jonfitt says:

I’ll surely be checking this out at QuakeCon.

20. aircool says:

I don’t care if this game starts out like a shiny borderlands and ends up with a gateway to hell on mars, id’s shooters are always enormous fun and expertly crafted.

• Echo Black says:

Yeah, this. I’ve never played an id game for the plot

• Radiant says:

No they are not.

• Echo Black says:

^ Yes they are! Doom 3 was the nearest id ever got to an actual screw-up, and even it is a solid 7-8/10 game in my opinion. Their track record is otherwise absolutely stellar.

Vandelay says:

Still don’t get the moaning. The fact that this is a post apocalyptic world may not be so original and the gameplay is nothing new, but this still looks like it could be one of the best shooters to be released in a long time.

Do the people complaining actually like FPS games or is it because you don’t like the genre?

PoulWrist says:

Who knows. There’s no recent post apocalyptic pure shooters that I know of. Everything else just tries to be Call of Duty, Rage looks like it’s a bit different. I enjoy that. And hey, it’s an id game, id games always feel good.

Johnny Law says:

Well, never underestimate the power of the urge to make a snarky comment… id’s game are easy marks if you want to say something cleverly dismissive.

And honestly anyone who would rather have an RPG or a strategy game from id is going to be disappointed. As shootery games go though, it looks enormously enjoyable to me. I hope they don’t stray too far in adding other things to fiddle with; what I _don’t_ want from an id game is constant scavenging of trivial items or a thousand tweakable knobs for character skills or weapon stats. Give me a solid set of fundamental mechanics, cool environments to explore, interesting things to fight, and top-notch player control and world rendering.

22. Owain_Glyndwr says:

In a post-apocalyptic world, an unknown figure comes out of a protected underground bunker into an environment he knows nothing about. He has to survive the harsh wasteland, populated with deadly bandits and mysterious mutants (possibly the result of human experimentation) in the ruins of the United States. He’ll deal with strange and larger than life characters. He will eventually come up against a pitiless, deadly and well equipped force that has links with the pre-disaster government…
    But unlike that other game, this has cars.

23. taldira says:

Is it just me, or do those gun animations and boomerang throwing kinda look really off, like without any power or recoil, or whatever, in them?

24. puaemerson says:

Put Doom in a Skyrim-like open world, and you’d more or less get the best game ever created. Getting closer and closer with Rage… :D Can’t wait

• ResonanceCascade says:

Isn’t that called “S.T.A.L.K.E.R?”

• The Colonel says:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R has little of the complete mindlessness of Doom. Surely it’s a little unwise to use Skyrim as a benchmark before playing it? After all it has got to contend with 512MB RAM as a running/content requirement…

25. Tacroy says:

Wait wait wait

Old dude at the beginning says “If the Authority catches you and you don’t have something they want, you’re dead”.

Gun dude in the cinematics is fighting the Authority, and clearly not dead.

This means that old dude is either wrong, or what the Authority wants is bullets.

LOGIC.

26. wodin says:

Animation of the mutnats being shot look superb, about time they started to react to depending on where they got hit (boomerang does look abit off though, seems to have no real weightimpact)..I had the unfortunate experience of playing Fallout NV…animations where terrible…world beyond sparsely populated…I hope this becomes the first decent post apocolypse FPS (whhops forgot about the Stalker series with complete mods…good entertainment)…I’m currently playing Fallout 2 with the restoration pack and a Fallout Tactics Mod Awaken….both are superb…Oh the good old days…give me van Buren…NOW!!!
    VAN BUREN
    VAN BUREN
    VAN BUREN….please

• pipman3000 says:

^^^ Played a different version of New Vegas than the rest of the world ^^^

seriously sparsely populated? I still haven’t seen everything there is too see

wengart says:

From what I’ve heard New Vegas has a bigger map with stuff further spaced out than Fallout 3.

It doesn’t have a lack of things to do it’s just that things to do per mile (TTD/M) are rather low.

27. matrices says:

Grocery store sells groceries, angry rabble demand filet mignon. Follow-up at 11.

Seriously. It’s id. It’s a shooter. If it’s got sound mechanics, nice graphics, and a semi-open world instead of corridors, that’s more than good enough to be enjoyable.

I know it’s very fashionable to be all ‘high culture’ with our gaming around here, but you know what? I played Bioshock for about two hours, admiring the atmosphere, the ‘Ayn Rand cult is madness’ philosophizing, and the weird-eyed little girls. And then I got bored. The floaty, weak combat mechanics, the same three types of enemies, the useless or redundant array of weapons – it turned me off to the game and then I turned the game off.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Grocery store sells groceries, angry rabble demand filet mignon

Filet mignon is available at many grocery stores. I’m just sayin’.

If it’s not available on its own, it’s usually available as part of the thing attached to the other thing…look, I haven’t shopped for cuts of beef in a long time.

• Hindenburg says:

In that case, give Bioshock 2 a shot, same setting as the first, obviously, and not as strong a story, but the combat was massively improved. Much more fun to actually play, instead of experience.

• Rii says:

Bioshock 2‘s story is just as good as the original game’s, if not better.

28. shagen454 says:

It feels like it’s been a while since a developer spent anytime trying to make creative AI. To this day I think the best AI experience I ever had in a game was in the original Half-Life. That’s a long time ago at this point. And I’m not talking about AI that is sufficient enough to beat me, I’m talking about AI that surprises me now and again by their behaviors.

• Rii says:

What would you like the AI to do, exactly?

• The Colonel says:

Not hide behind chest-high walls at the other end of a linear corridor periodically popping their head up or charging suicidally toward the player? Fuck, AI felt better in HL than it does in most modern shooters. Hopefully next gen of consoles will have quad-core processors. Though I suspect it’s mostly a gameplay decision rather than processing power limitation.

29. Metonymy says:

“This isn’t Doom, and that’s unfortunate.”
    or
    “What’s comically absent from Call of Duty”

-Enemy placement creates gameplay
    -Architecture creates gameplay
    -Ammo quantity creates gameplay
    -High movement speed creates gameplay
    -Nearly 20 different enemy types creates gameplay

30. othello says:

The story or environment may not be particularly new and innovative… but I certainly don’t care about that. Since when have we expected that from id anyway? The actual gameplay looks highly polished and the way the enemies and the player moves seems like a breath of fresh air in today’s FPS world. The variety in the enemies is something I’m certainly looking forward to.

31. Tsotsi says:

Few things:
    The ‘not really scripted’ near death animations look really scripted, to the point that pretty much all the ones seen in the clip are seen more than once.
    All the enemy contacts showing off the AI seem to be in corridors.
    Enemies move like they expect you to be aiming with a gamepad.
    Later in the game you meet ‘military types’ who are ‘real bad-asses’ – lucky that hasn’t been done before.
    Having said all that, still gonna be playing this. On my recent form probably won’t finish it, but hey.

Hanban says:

“Enemies move like they expect you to be aiming with a gamepad.”

What?

• sbs says:

it’s the thing where they design enemy behaviour and level architecture with gamepad in mind, instead of mouselook only. I think bungie even released a pamphlet on that, they being the first to design a fps specifically catered to console audiences.

Hanban says:

Well, what I don’t quite understand is what lends itself to be played on a gamepad.

So far as I can see the game has quick moving enemies, not perhaps Quake III quick, mind, and people jumping at you from high places. Which seems mousey to me.

I just don’t understand what in the game lends itself to a gamepad more than a mouse, as compared to other shooters.

32. Shiny says:

What we need is another FPS with sinister-looking baddies clad in futuristic armor that hides their faces and makes them look twisted and evil. Preferably with at least 2 lights where the face would be.

33. YanDaik says:

please… please please please do not make regenerated health.

34. HelderPinto says:

id owns, period..

35. Walsh says:

Do people expect the boomerang to weigh like 50 pounds and throw someone’s body across the room? If someone was hit by a throwing knife would they fly across the room?

• celewign says:

No but in order to decapitate someone wearing basic armor there should be some real heft behind a boomerang toss… not a quick flick from one hand.

36. Iskariot says:

I think this game looks like a sure winner. I believe it is the best ID has ever made. The characters look incredible. So do the animations. This is state of the art game building. If the rest of the game is on par I will certainly buy this game.